Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Not me! Wouldn't be fair to the other three."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Why does Ray have to seal the hole from the outside?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Why does Ray have to seal the hole from the outside?

Because Canary and Captain Cold were trapped in the room the breach was in and the interior doors wouldn't open.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel like they're gonna have to put down Heatwave :ohdear:

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

I feel like they're gonna have to put down Heatwave :ohdear:

I'm thinking he may be scamming the pirates somehow and will end up proving himself to the team.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Because Canary and Captain Cold were trapped in the room the breach was in and the interior doors wouldn't open.

He can shrink and fly through the hole

And why didn't Gideon notice all the time pirates on the shuttle?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Why didn't Martin and Jax go Firestorm, I wonder

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Murphys Law posted:

I'm thinking he may be scamming the pirates somehow and will end up proving himself to the team.

Or maybe not.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
drat. Didn't think they would do it.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Gotta admit, that was pretty cold.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It's pretty sad state of affairs that the Mick and Snart partnership is far more compelling than any half-baked romances they create. Why the hell are they hooking Kendra and Ray up when she literally turned him down an episode ago. And in terms of the continuity she rejected him maybe a few hours ago.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Space Ranger Stein owns. He got swagger for days with his pirate outfit. TIME PIRATE outfit

:rip:? Heatwave. You were the best part of the show.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
No way the Heathwave execution isn't a fakeout or a scam. Cold and Heatwave are a team, a real pair if rogues.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Stein the Time Pirate Space Ranger owns. Who would hate this show?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

"Time to learn not to mess with a nuclear physicist"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tell me about the rabbits, Leonard.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Mick, Snart has killed men for less noooooooo :gonk:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

lotus circle posted:

It's pretty sad state of affairs that the Mick and Snart partnership is far more compelling than any half-baked romances they create. Why the hell are they hooking Kendra and Ray up when she literally turned him down an episode ago. And in terms of the continuity she rejected him maybe a few hours ago.

They said at the beginning of the episode that they've been floating aimlessly for a week, unless I misheard.

It was still a bit dumb. Having Ray almost die shouldn't have been that different than all those other times everyone on the team has almost died, and she didn't have any sudden realizations then.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Space Ranger Stein owns. He got swagger for days with his pirate outfit. TIME PIRATE outfit

I did not know how badly I needed to hear the combination of words "Time Pirate" but now that I have I feel like my life has drastically improved

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

"Time to learn not to mess with a nuclear physicist"

Jack Bristow is always up for owning fools.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Snart won't kill Mick.

That means he'd violate his pact with the Flash and you've seen what he does to his villains :gonk:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought this episode was gonna be like Firefly but instead it turned into BSG.

I love it. Forty perfect minutes of my life.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mick :smith:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The previews made this look like a bottle episode, but man they really made it memorable.

They didn't need to leave Mick in 2016. They could have dropped him off in a secluded place in 2017. Would their timefuckery have erased Mick Rory from the timeline? They seem to play loose with the rules so who knows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

He can shrink and fly through the hole

And why didn't Gideon notice all the time pirates on the shuttle?

All very important questions.

Carlosologist posted:

Why didn't Martin and Jax go Firestorm, I wonder

This one could probably be answered by A: SFX budget and B: They're in a location where shooting explosive blasts of fire would not necessarily yield a safe outcome for anyone.

My question: What kind of Time Pirate uses an energy gun that's concussive as opposed to being like an actual laser?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xelkelvos posted:

This one could probably be answered by A: SFX budget and B: They're in a location where shooting explosive blasts of fire would not necessarily yield a safe outcome for anyone.

My question: What kind of Time Pirate uses an energy gun that's concussive as opposed to being like an actual laser?

It's probably a "plasma bolt" or somesuch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How the hell did Ray end up in the cargo bay? We see him floating in space and then he's just... there? Sloppy editing. Again.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ApeHawk posted:

No, that's Earth-2.

Um to him, this is Earth-2 and he comes from Earth-1 :colbert:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gideon is such a goofy talking computer it should have been named X-Po 2 for delivering too much exposition whenever necessary.

Bad Moon posted:

Yes. Add in some Caity Lotz fighting scenes, Atom action and the strange relationship between Snart and Mick and this was one of the best episodes so far.
The Rip Hunter backstory seems to be apart and aloof from the other characters' motivations and actions, but it's nice to get more of his past filled in.
But the Time Masters are such shitheads. Why do so many organizations have to have the familiar "no love allowed" regulation?! LOL. (Like the Nights Watch in Game of Thrones}. "As a Time Master, you are not allowed close personal relationships" seems like a rule made to be broken.

lotus circle posted:

That's not a sad state of affairs, it's the craft of scriptwriting. And fairly common to build up a character for an episode or two before killing him off (if that's what happened). Gives the scene more emotional impact as you have indicated.
Kendra didn't turn down Ray before because she wasn't attracted to him, she explained why she was hesitant previously. And was obviously caught up in the moment this episode.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 4, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Even Time Pirates are hesitant to go around murdering everyone in their path. The Butterfly Effect stipulates that killing even a seemingly unimportant person could have unforeseen dire consequences to the timeline. OTOH....Gideon had no problem killing them off by blasting all the Time Pirates out into space LOL.
Or maybe lasers would harm the structural integrity of the ship's infrastructure and hull.
Or maybe the Time Pirates just don't want to be bothered having to clean up all the blood spatter from laser blasts. :iiam:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get the feeling Ray was lying. He's totally a Ringo fan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

xerxus posted:

The previews made this look like a bottle episode, but man they really made it memorable.

They didn't need to leave Mick in 2016. They could have dropped him off in a secluded place in 2017. Would their timefuckery have erased Mick Rory from the timeline? They seem to play loose with the rules so who knows.

Well the reason they didn't leave him in the present is because most of the team has family still alive in that time so they were fearing retribution. So really there is no good option.

(they shouldve put him back in 2046 or whenever he was gangleader)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were hoping to erase that timeline though, so that might be crueler?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Doesn't the "Many Worlds" theory already posit that if there's more than one possible outcome for a situation, then there are universes that already exist for those outcomes?

Although I guess for a television audience that's way too deep, just keep everything in one universe or the ratings will drop. Alan Moore handled that pretty well in one of his Tom Strong arcs, I think it was one where Tom's original dad got killed and Tom Stone was born instead.

Anyway, yeah, sad thing about Mick.. maybe he just frosted Mick into suspended animation? He's done it before in the comics.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They're going to start approaching Savage's own body count real soon.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

They were hoping to erase that timeline though, so that might be crueler?
At least he'd have died (ceased to exist?) happy...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fight scene against the pirates was honestly fantastic.

Captain Cold and Sara's heart to heart allowed both actor's some needed space to emote.

But lord allmighty, all the Rip Hunter stuff remains awful. Its like deleted scenes from some poo poo 70s space show. Referencing Star Wars and Trek just reminds me how derivative and schlocky Rip's material is.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Narcissus1916 posted:

The fight scene against the pirates was honestly fantastic.

Captain Cold and Sara's heart to heart allowed both actor's some needed space to emote.

But lord allmighty, all the Rip Hunter stuff remains awful. Its like deleted scenes from some poo poo 70s space show. Referencing Star Wars and Trek just reminds me how derivative and schlocky Rip's material is.

Watch as this show racks up the sci-fi references to every series but the one about an angsty time-traveling Brit in a ridiculous coat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I can't believe Scofield and Burrows are broken up for good :( I really hope that the last few minutes were just a fake out. Heatwave and Capt. Cold were seriously my favorite part of LoT and The Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I'd forgotten that Ray Palmer and Carter Hall were actually very close friends in the comics. That makes Ray and Kendra getting together...well, no, it's still quite forced, but it's...not entirely meaningless, I suppose? :shobon:

• Locked thread