Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Man, people REALLY don't get sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tortolia posted:

I never thought of it this way but I have the same pathology and probably also Sierra to blame.

Edit : also compulsive quicksaving

My favorite was when you accidentally rolled through a red light without your sirens on. Hope you saved recently. Pretty sure I did that right after I finally beat a difficult car chase that took me forever, and I had to start all over.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man, people REALLY don't get sarcasm.

Have we got an over/under on what the donations get to if he doesn't turn it off? Or if he does turn it off, at how many percent overfunded?

Put me down for 40k in the first scenario, 250% in the second.

e: I think maybe he did shut it down, only about 200% of what his insurance company told him it'd probably be.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 4, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Turns out CIG's insurance plan isn't a complete joke and Skelton will have around $10K out of pocket, which the spergs have already covered.

Still kinda lovely insurance tbh. This wouldve been less than 3500 for me, likely less than 2000. I have pretty good insurance, but it's not like I'm a big shot executive or something, just a middle class schlub at a medium sized (private) company.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ravane posted:

Solar Plebian should have this though. Like pressing the red start button for the ship should just make the sound "beep boop beep boop".

Oh don't worry, I've already started working on the startup sequence immersion. Just audio so far, but your ship doesn't get full power until it's finished its startup sequence. Making it very, very annoying and overlong will require a lot of iteration.

Here's a teaser. Might be a bit loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASlGsRcAZ0

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Oh don't worry, I've already started working on the startup sequence immersion. Just audio so far, but your ship doesn't get full power until it's finished its startup sequence. Making it very, very annoying and overlong will require a lot of iteration.

Every attempt to shorten it should make it longer. Sort of like the active reload on Gears of War, except there's no li'l bold white line to try to hit.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

you are truly building miracles. can one of the ships have that audio casette frequency check during startup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSudbqC8T0s

alternately: that THX sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkJ86JqlPA

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

If you do put "get in" animations into solar plebian Troops, then please record someone with a bumbling and humorous voice talking to himself while he gets in.

"oomph ok here we go, just gotta.. ahh there we go and the other leg... oohff ok right, mmph there's the seat ok where's the... ah ok just gotta push the.. humm... ah ok right push then errmm.. where's the... ah there's the one right so now what's next, oh I remember...."

Because that's exactly what I hear in my head every time I watch one of those ponderous "use" animations.

Oh my drat that's a loving great idea. I've had several people offer to do voice acting, including a person with access to <a major name studio> so on my roadmap is writing ship computer voice scripts. I will add first-person immersion commentary scripts.

Oh by the way, if anyone wants to help write said scripts for MAXIMUM IMMERSION, please PM me. I'm just one man, and this is a goon effort.

Also, post them here to so we can all laugh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Madcosby posted:

I dont get how even if there's an animation of a ladder and it looks fine, that I'd give two shits about it.

Citizens didnt back this game to climb ladders. It's great that it looks fine but I wouldnt go to a video and claim the 2nd coming of Christ upon seeing a ladder climbing animation

i can literally think of no other game where some 2nd rate no purppose animation is treated like a viewing of the face of God

It's a combination of sunk cost fallacy and starvation. These people have spent immense amounts of money, often orders of magnitude more than a regular game, and as such they actively seek out any means of justifying the expenditure. At the same time CIG has starved them of any meaningful progress, trickling out information to the point where 2.2 is considered an amazing sign of progress instead of the bug-ridden pre-alpha shallow technology demonstration that it is. There's no vertical slice, roadmaps are actively and publicly derided by staff, and yet the community religiously laps up every word and insinuation as gospel declarations of locked features.

Basically they're brainwashed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toops posted:

Oh my drat that's a loving great idea. I've had several people offer to do voice acting, including a person with access to <a major name studio> so on my roadmap is writing ship computer voice scripts. I will add first-person immersion commentary scripts.

Oh by the way, if anyone wants to help write said scripts for MAXIMUM IMMERSION, please PM me. I'm just one man, and this is a goon effort.

gently caress it I'm down. Lemme know what you need.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

i am down to help

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I wonder how much citizen pledge money has gone into buying black shirts for Chris.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

aleksendr posted:

Wow. Someone spent a loot of effort on those tiny details. I don't even remember spending that much time climbing in MGS.

Kotaku and all, but yeah, in the E3 Video they did a presentation of Snake climbing and it was one of those little details that Kojima's team does in every MGS game. It was weird considering there are so little places to climb onto an advantageous position.

It was the same thing like shooting the pots in the kitchen in the MGS2 prologue, where each of them had a different pinging sound when bullets hit it.

Okay, so, i'm thinking at this point, they're going to release what they got, and try to keep on hyping the machine while they add more to this lovely engine in the next few years.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 4, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I am completely without talent so I will help in no way whatsoever :colbert:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

D_Smart posted:

You know, that's a good point. I would probably pickup the Star Citizen IP and make a JPEG puzzle game with it. Just for shits 'n giggles.

This would be awesome. You could leave out the piece on the scout that has the now-removed second seat. Big blank sheets for ships that have been 'lost' in the pipeline. Whenever you complete a puzzle the picture morphs from the original concept jpeg to an in-game screenshot of the black-and-grey mess most of the ships became.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

If you morons love the hours of slop we put out each week then oh boy do we have great news for you! An all exclusive blu-ray with hours more of never before filmed wanking.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

even today i ask myself if 'i still believe in CIG' s wife still calls it sausage citizen

but we will never know because CIG silenced him forever
I think Lando did it (though they might have other off camera mods at work).

I was disappointed, but pleased too - because it was yet more proof that CIG LA is not only reading the thread, they are reading it very carefully. Which means that they either consider it some kind of threat, or they're completely vain and bereft of better things to do-- or both.

As I noted before, Romero did this a lot while Daikatana was moving through Ion Storm's lower intestine towards release. It's yet another sign of how out of whack CIG LA's priorities are. Not that we needed more but there it is.

How interesting that they never take the constructive criticism to heart.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

alf_pogs posted:

you are truly building miracles. can one of the ships have that audio casette frequency check during startup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSudbqC8T0s

alternately: that THX sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkJ86JqlPA

Both of those things are amazing ideas. The cassette tape on definitely. I'll have it make those sounds as you're spending minimum 15 seconds clicking around on bullshit.

As for THX, maybe as an easter egg for like updownupdownleftrightleftrightstartselect or something.

Man, I remember the first time I heard the THX intro in the theaters, it I :gizz: 'd in my seat.

So much better than DTS, which is :flaccid:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

I am completely without talent so I will help in no way whatsoever :colbert:

same :colbert:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Toops posted:

I am down for this

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Can someone link the rsi thread about the hurt girl? I want to know why she was on a forty foot wall. :(

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

We're spending more backer money to make a documentary about the making of a Game which is still an "alpha".

How the gently caress does that even make one iota of sense? Its basically the same as going "lets make a full length documentary on the career of the most wanted 2016 NFL draft pick, even though he hasn't actually done anything in the professional leagues yet".

The only possible reason I can see for doing this is to lull idiots into thinking there is actually serious progress happening and giving more cash to this abortion.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

If you morons love the hours of slop we put out each week then oh boy do we have great news for you! An all exclusive blu-ray with hours more of never before filmed wanking.

Watch as every week we re-work assets after Dear Leader browbeats us over giving him what he wanted!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

legion989 posted:

We're spending more backer money to make a documentary about the making of a Game which is still an "alpha".

How the gently caress does that even make one iota of sense? Its basically the same as going "lets make a full length documentary on the career of the most wanted 2016 NFL draft pick, even though he hasn't actually done anything in the professional leagues yet".

The only possible reason I can see for doing this is to lull idiots into thinking there is actually serious progress happening and giving more cash to this abortion.

Lol, It was one of the stretch goals. One of my favorites.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

legion989 posted:

It's not a documentary. It's a comedy. Like Seinfeld. A game about nothing.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nice defensive phrasing there, Sandi.

Nope, totally nothing else to do because we're waiting for the new build!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

Nice defensive phrasing there, Sandi.

Nope, totally nothing else to do because we're waiting for the new build!

How's the CS queue these days Ben?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
a feature length PR piece from the company that puts out more than a features length of PR media every single week.

it is good that they're fulfilling another stretch goal though!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

legion989 posted:

Plus that IMDB profile isn't going to pad itself.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 2, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

We're 4 years in. I guess it's time to start working on that making of documentary.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's not a documentary. It's a comedy. Like Seinfeld. A game about nothing.

You try to exit the airlock, you can't. That's a game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lol words escape me

It's like they're trying to 1 up themselves each week with how blatant they can make the ruse

When this finally crashes IMDB and Linkedin will be a blaze with all the CIG executives hurriedly typing 'Director' and "Developer' into their profiles

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

alf_pogs posted:

i am down to help

As for scripts, I need a couple of things:

-dialogue for ship computers. they should have distinct personalities. they should have an emotional core that occasionally betrays their programming. beyond obvious "system" messages, there should be plenty of off-color banter.

- dialogue for the first person character. Mainly I just need "color" commentary right now. Complaining during long animations, insults to throw around, plenty of sarcasm, self-deprecation/not taking him/herself seriously, celebrating blowing up a whale's ship, griefing comments, that kind of stuff.

anyone who has a script, idea, other content, and you don't want to use PM, feel free to email me at solarplebeian@gmail.com

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I sent one of my friends who is working on Mafia 3 the latest Pgabz video and he asked me what garbage game I was showing him.

When I told him it was Star Citizen after 4 years and 110 million he loved it, and said it was infamous in the community.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
It's not that surprising that they are shooting the making of SC thing. Gotta checkbox off another legal requirement for denying refunds afterall.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I still stand by my prior position but one thing I'll say is that you're missing a golden opportunity if you don't have a 45 second runon version of the Mechwarrior startup checklist naming endless systems coming online.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wafflz posted:

They triple every second

Because, it is the worst kind of mocap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Happy Sisyphus posted:

even today i ask myself if 'i still believe in CIG' s wife still calls it sausage citizen

but we will never know because CIG silenced him forever

I hope he's still taking good care of his baby while his wife is at work :ohdear:

• Locked thread