Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I just installed and booted it up briefly. Holy moly you were not kidding!

This is me not really realising what on earth I am doing:

Yeah, it's really fun. I had to turn the audio off though. I get what they were going for, but it becomes grating really fast and it also sometimes gliches and just makes a horrible sound no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.dailydot.com/esports/twitch-streaming-money-careers-destiny/

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Uncle Grippy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How do I get this into an avatar properly?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What has changed in Mini Metro since it was a browser game?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Skeezy posted:

How do I get this into an avatar properly?

"very carefully" :D

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zgQPM4Yvs

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

"very carefully" :D

:yeah:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

What has changed in Mini Metro since it was a browser game?

From what I remember, they added a bunch of new cities, some of which had gimmicks (like slower carriages or faster shape-changing) and maybe an extra tool or two, like something that makes commuters embark quicker or something?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i dont understand the card battle system thing in the new paper mario

like, whats so special about just holding a card and then flicking it to fight

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I beat Enslaved: Oddysey to the West.

I was sort of doubtful that it could, but it actually managed to more or less arrive at the same ending as the regular Journey to the West. Although somehow (ending spoiler) the liberation of the mind in Buddhism was never supposed to be quite so...ah...literal. But to free the human race from the illusion of the world is basically what Tripytaka is supposed to be doing.

I liked it, even if the game runs like it was stitched together with duct tape and good intentions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

i dont understand the card battle system thing in the new paper mario

like, whats so special about just holding a card and then flicking it to fight
Yeah, seems like a weird gambit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, seems like a weird gambit.

I see what you did there

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Everyone knows Nintendo developers get 50 lashes if they don't use all of the console's gimmicky features even if doesn't make sense and may actually hinder enjoyment

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Abstracting a turn-based combat system into cards is a pretty good way to increase the possibility of complexity. Like, if you took all of the mechanics present in any given game of Magic, you'd have a pretty complex basis for a turn-based combat system.

I doubt they'll use it in that way. I didn't hate the battles themselves in Sticker Star, but I disliked how they were literally filler, meant to drain me of ammo (stickers) and time, and they gave me no meaningful rewards. I loved fighting enemies in TTYD because there was a lot of charm and individual character in each fight, the mechanics were fun, and obviously I got rewarded with experience points at the end. Removing exp and replacing it with...nothing...does not a good RPG make.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Paper Mario but with the Baiten Kaitos battle system and poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish I played more of the Wii Paper Mario game. I kind of liked just jumpin' on enemies and flipping perspective, but I only was like a world or two in. I stopped around a time I had to run on a giant hamster wheel and then I was like "nah" and went exploring instead.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEy6lfzsVvg

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Is this still the games general discussion thread? Because I'm looking for people to play a few games with:
  • Clandestine
  • Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
  • AoE 2 HD

Let me know if you're interested I guess

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really wish I played more of the Wii Paper Mario game. I kind of liked just jumpin' on enemies and flipping perspective, but I only was like a world or two in. I stopped around a time I had to run on a giant hamster wheel and then I was like "nah" and went exploring instead.

It's got a lot of weird issues. One of the more obvious ones is inexplicably forcing you to do the hamster wheel and another thing that's basically the hamster wheel, which just felt like a giant middle finger to the players for being dumb enough to play the game.

But also the lack of an rpg mechanic really reduced the usefulness of treasures you could find, since badges no longer applied. And also, the platforming, compared to regular mario games, was kind of bad. Which is a pretty big issue for a platformer.

I dunno. I just think they should've made a proper Paper Mario game, but they seem to be really against doing that ever again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Super Paper Mario was really bad. You could either look at it as an RPG with the mechanic complexity to of a platformer or a platformer with the precision of an RPG and it was bad either way. The game had some charm but overall it was a worst of both worlds situation

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is this still the games general discussion thread? Because I'm looking for people to play a few games with:
  • Clandestine
  • Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
  • AoE 2 HD

Let me know if you're interested I guess

I'll play AoE2 with you and my gf probably would too!

You're not one of those "rush the opposition" powergamers or anything are you becuase we're actually pretty bad at AoE and get pulverized when playing with pubbies :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Super Paper Mario was really bad. You could either look at it as an RPG with the mechanic complexity of a platformer or a platformer with the precision of an RPG and it was bad either way. The game had some charm but overall it was a worst of both worlds situation

The look, sound and writing (and getting to play as Bowser and weegee) made up for a lot of the mechanical shortfalls but yeah. If Sticker Star had been a return to form instead of horrifying, Super would be remembered as "The bad one".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slVFrmTiw5E

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Super Paper Mario could have been a pretty good game if it didn't revel in wasting your goddamn time at some points.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I guess Nintendo doesn't want to have two RPG series using a timed hits battle system, and have decided that Mario and Luigi deserved it more?

I really liked Dream Team, even if I didn't beat it, and if Paper Jam is anywhere near as good that's plenty for me, I thought it was charming and surprisingly challenging, despite the abundant tutorials.

Paper Mario may benefit from finding its own niche or system to utilize, but while it is going through these growing pains it's become kind of sad to see. This paint game kind of HAS to hit the mark, because I feel like the brand isn't going to survive too many more hits.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

The look

I wouldn't even give it that, having a bunch of boring geometrical shapes as characters was a pretty big letdown.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I wouldn't even give it that, having a bunch of boring geometrical shapes as characters was a pretty big letdown.

Yeah, you're right. A lot of the character designs were pretty lackluster. I did like Pixel Land or whatever though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
better designs than sticker star

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Paper Jam is better than Dream Team.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All this talk of RPG spinoffs of platformers made me remember that at one point Capcom made A Final Fantasy X clone set in the Megaman X universe. This was just a year after they turned their actual good Megaman RPG series into a crappy side-scroller.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Booted up Dragon Ball Xenoverse today to see if it still owns.

The answer is yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

All this talk of RPG spinoffs of platformers made me remember that at one point Capcom made A Final Fantasy X clone set in the Megaman X universe. This was just a year after they turned their actual good Megaman RPG series into a crappy side-scroller.

Some people try to defend Command Mission from time to time and they must be legitimately insane. It's not good by JRPG standards and it's not good by Mega Man standards. The only reason you'd defend it is if you're physically incapable of disliking something that says Mega Man on it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVwtH6VTrQ

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

BNT was really good it was just very hard.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Paper Jam talk: Overall, it's a fun game, and way better about not wasting your time with tutorials/slow cutscenes.

But holy poo poo, there are some awful sections where they inexplicably force you to collect Paper Toads by doing mini games that the mechanics of the game don't mesh with at all.

It's like they realized the game wasn't lovely and had to fix it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah the paper toad games are sometimes sorta fun but almost every time I was just wanting to get it over with so I could get back to the good part of the game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skeezy posted:

Paper Jam is better than Dream Team.

No foolin'? Like how so?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Are the FFXIII sequels any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Are the FFXIII sequels any good?

Better than FFXIII, but not good in any general sense. XIII-2 is a mediocre RPG at best.

• Locked thread