Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

seiferguy posted:

Bill Murray apparently has a cameo in the movie so I'm looking forward to the tears of him being a traitor.

Also, the director did Bridesmaids, and that's the best female lead comedy movie I've seen in awhile so I'm all for it, even if Leslie Jones' character is problematic.

I don't think Bill Murry gives or has ever given a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Guavanaut posted:

Or that they just can't relate to a female protagonist. Which must be awful because there are zero major productions with white male protagonists coming out this year.

Captain America: Civil War?

Oh...was that a joke?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Radish posted:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/cre-and-the-cra/?_r=0
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/things-everyone-in-chicago-knows/

Krugman might be TOO LEFT or whatever but he wrote a good summation on why that talking point is BS.

It's really insulting since you have a bunch of rich, banking jackoffs blaming the minorities that they were taking advantage of. If only the mean ol' minorities didn't force the innocent bankers into giving them loans they wouldn't be able to afford and then package them into securities they knew would fail and then sell them as grade A. :qq: Poor minorities are devious like that.

It's doubly funny because The Big Short introduces a few characters that were slimy mortgage dudes who lied on forms and poo poo. Like, it's right there in the movie. Sorry, guy but your mom's an idiot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh...was that a joke?
More an observation that they piss and whine that they can't relate whenever there's a protagonist who isn't a while male, but expect everyone else who isn't to relate to all the movies with one that is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Bill Murray apparently has a cameo in the movie so I'm looking forward to the tears of him being a traitor.

From what I hear, he's basically playing the equivalent of Dickless.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Guavanaut posted:

More an observation that they piss and whine that they can't relate whenever there's a protagonist who isn't a while male, but expect everyone else who isn't to relate to all the movies with one that is.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYlJqf4dLI

The ghost busters are men. That's just a fact, you can't change that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh...was that a joke?

But that movie has THREE black people. AND A WOMAN! Thank god Marvel stopped an African American being cast as Peter Parker, or the use of Spider-Gwen, or white nerds might have committed mass suicide

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

But that movie has THREE black people. AND A WOMAN! Thank god Marvel stopped an African American being cast as Peter Parker, or the use of Spider-Gwen, or white nerds might have committed mass suicide

At lease white nerds will always have DC, where out status quo was established in the 50s-60s and dammit, were gonna keep it there!

:cry: Dammit DC, Be better than Marvel. I wanna like Batman again. That said I will go see Suicide Squad.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm pretty sure my friend's dad just went down the checklist of "right wing cliches" on this one

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I remember when DC tried to give wonder woman pants in the New 52 and nerds just weren't having it.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

At lease white nerds will always have DC, where out status quo was established in the 50s-60s and dammit, were gonna keep it there!

:cry: Dammit DC, Be better than Marvel. I wanna like Batman again. That said I will go see Suicide Squad.

That's just how DC is. They're the comic company of the status quo. Perfect White Authority Man, Appropriately Secondary White Authority Woman, Libertarian Revenge Fantasy Man, Space Cop With Superior Will...It's a pantheon of authority figures, here to tell you to eat your vegetables and salute President Reagan.

Marvel has a man named "Captain America" who often questions the direction of his country, a poor kid who has to deal with being a hero while taking care of a family that can barely make ends meet, and, of course, a huge team devoted to exploring ideas of being a marginalized minority.

And before you say anything, yes, I'm aware that Green Arrow/Green Lantern exists. It was the exception, not the rule.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buzkashi posted:

I'm pretty sure my friend's dad just went down the checklist of "right wing cliches" on this one

Jesus did that guy swallow a Limbaugh audiobook?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jesus did that guy swallow a Limbaugh audiobook?

He's probably pretty proud of that diatribe too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The 80s, when everyone still lived in fear of nuclear annihilation: the greatest decade.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kit Walker posted:

The 80s, when everyone still lived in fear of nuclear annihilation: the greatest decade.

To be fair, we still live under the same constant threat of nuclear annihilation, we've just largely managed to stop beating ourselves in the genitals over the possibility.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

They kind of are, actually, what with Wonder Woman looking to be the leader of the Justice League from what I can gather in the trailers.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hermetic posted:

That's just how DC is. They're the comic company of the status quo. Perfect White Authority Man, Appropriately Secondary White Authority Woman, Libertarian Revenge Fantasy Man, Space Cop With Superior Will...It's a pantheon of authority figures, here to tell you to eat your vegetables and salute President Reagan.

Marvel has a man named "Captain America" who often questions the direction of his country, a poor kid who has to deal with being a hero while taking care of a family that can barely make ends meet, and, of course, a huge team devoted to exploring ideas of being a marginalized minority.

And before you say anything, yes, I'm aware that Green Arrow/Green Lantern exists. It was the exception, not the rule.

Marvel also has a weapons contractor who regularly beats the poo poo out of a Chinese stereotype literally called the Mandarin. Meanwhile, DC nakedly showed their contempt for Bush by having Lex Luthor act as a standin for his presidency, even up to him knowing of an attack on America by a hostile threat, doing nothing to prevent it, and then using it as justification to advance his own agenda.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Marvel also has a weapons contractor who regularly beats the poo poo out of a Chinese stereotype literally called the Mandarin. Meanwhile, DC nakedly showed their contempt for Bush by having Lex Luthor act as a standin for his presidency, even up to him knowing of an attack on America by a hostile threat, doing nothing to prevent it, and then using it as justification to advance his own agenda.

Stan Lee says he created Iron Man to see if he could make a character his readers (mostly young liberal anti-war types) would hate. The idea was it was a challenge to see if he could eventually get people to love him. And they did. Because liberals are terrible.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Jaunts posted:

I feel like if you have to pull a "Webster's dictionary defines _______ as..." to support your argument, it might not be the strongest argument to begin with

Pretty much, it's such a blatnat way to cry about people not liking their bigoted views are the "real bigots" or just as bigoted as they are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Stan Lee says he created Iron Man to see if he could make a character his readers (mostly young liberal anti-war types) would hate. The idea was it was a challenge to see if he could eventually get people to love him. And they did. Because liberals are terrible.

To be fair you could give anyone a kickass robot suit and they will become popular.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Shbobdb posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYlJqf4dLI

The ghost busters are men. That's just a fact, you can't change that.

That reminds me of people losing their minds over Heimdall being played by a black guy in Thor. Despite the fact that he owned the hell out of that role.

Or Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zephyrine posted:

That one was the best because Ultimates Nick Fury in the comic is literally based on Samuel L Jackson, as in, they asked him to use his likeness for the character because he's such a comic book nerd he said yes. When they were casting for the MCU he was the only choice.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

RagnarokAngel posted:

That one was the best because Ultimates Nick Fury in the comic is literally based on Samuel L Jackson, as in, they asked him to use his likeness for the character because he's such a comic book nerd he said yes. When they were casting for the MCU he was the only choice.

"Sure I'll play Nick Fury. For 50 million dollars"

"Never mind we'll just get Laurence Fishburne instead"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zephyrine posted:

That reminds me of people losing their minds over Heimdall being played by a black guy in Thor. Despite the fact that he owned the hell out of that role.

My father-in-law surprised my by being upset by the Nick Fury casting. He grew up reading Howling Commandoes comics and has a distinct mental image of the character, but I've never known him to be racist in any way. You can shut him down on the topic pretty hard by reminding him that the last live-action adaptation that had a white Fury cast David Hasselhoff.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My father-in-law surprised my by being upset by the Nick Fury casting. He grew up reading Howling Commandoes comics and has a distinct mental image of the character, but I've never known him to be racist in any way. You can shut him down on the topic pretty hard by reminding him that the last live-action adaptation that had a white Fury cast David Hasselhoff.

My father's fairly right wing, and that was his favourite as well, but he likes Jackson in the role :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zephyrine posted:

"Sure I'll play Nick Fury. For 50 million dollars"

"Never mind we'll just get Laurence Fishburne Keith David instead"

Fixed. :colbert:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

They didn't actually ask first I thought, he just thought it was awesome when he happened to find out later.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The way I heard it was Jackson was not asked, and when he found out about it, being first choice to play Nick Fury in any Marvel movie was part of the deal to not get sued for likeness.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's like when Garth Ennis specifically based the image of John Constantine on Sting. Which is why he obviously played him in the movie.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

seiferguy posted:

I follow Ghostbusters on Facebook (hey, the original is one of my favorite movies!)

drat that dickless EPA guy for interfering with small business! Get the government off our backs!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

I want to see a Spider-Man movie about Miles Morales :unsmigghh:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The new Ghostbusters should have been loosely based on the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon; perky goth chick, black nerd chick, sassy Latina chick, and wheelchair jock chick.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

The new Ghostbusters should have been loosely based on the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon; perky goth chick, black nerd chick, sassy Latina chick, and wheelchair jock chick.

Throw in the gorilla from Filmation's Ghostbusters just to piss off people who are way too invested in the franchise.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Throw in the gorilla from Filmation's Ghostbusters just to piss off people who are way too invested in the franchise.

Whoa there. Fuckin heresy. I will not have my Ghostbusters defiled by a loving bubblegum gun.

Slime throwers are ok though since they're canon. :getin:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

razorrozar posted:

I want to see a Spider-Man movie about Miles Morales :unsmigghh:

No no, not Miles Morales, it's still a character named Peter Parker, he's just being played by an African American.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

No no, not Miles Morales, it's still a character named Peter Parker, he's just being played by an African American.

That's contractural I think, you can have anyone you want be spider-man, but "Peter Parker" must always be young, male and white.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

That's contractural I think, you can have anyone you want be spider-man, but "Peter Parker" must always be young, male and white.

gently caress it, just make a Ms. Marvel movie. The Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel. If we wanna piss of white people, let's go all out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pure ideology can't be bothered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They are making a Ms. Marvel movie, but it's with the blonde haired blue eyed Carol Danvers. We have until July 2018 for either company to get a minority led superhero movie, and until 2020 for it to be about a superhero whose origin isn't "native man is king of nature" and "is king of isolated African country".