Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

flint is going to be a problem i am already seeing
Honestly, it's not. It's mostly about finding gravel early on, and that first gravel pile is the only real problem. Once you have a simple shovel (ideally ticon, preferably with a moss enchant added on level-up, but good luck), you can grab a ton of gravel, and that's 1:1 for flint if you build a mortar, which only needs smooth stone and more flint.
It feels like the #1 biggest thing to get going in this is a tree farm. Fuel, coal, creosote, and of course, wood. You can't automate it but once you get a good TiCon axe you'll be pretty set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

which file is it, specifically?
To make plants grow at normal speed, hungeroverhaul.cfg in the config/hungeroverhaul directory.
You'll see about a million things like this:

# Multiplier on the time it takes a non-tree crop to grow [vanilla: 1] [range: 0 ~ 2147483647, default: 4]
I:cropRegrowthMultiplier=2

Just change it to 1. This affects animal breeding, crop and sapling growth, sugar cane, cacti, cow milking, etc.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

You poor saps.

I just stole smeltery bricks from a village.

hmm i have a large village near me, this looks like a good plan.

Glory of Arioch posted:

new horizons trip report: got 81% of tier 0 book done, currently waiting for carrots to grow

flint is going to be a problem i am already seeing

High Five, same thing here.

When i walk about i often get hit with mystery poison. Is that some sort of bees somewhere?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

High Five, same thing here.

When i walk about i often get hit with mystery poison. Is that some sort of bees somewhere?

possibly, or it also might be you walking on poison ivy on the ground (a normal part of extrabiomes)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ohh that might be more likely, ill check the ground when i go next.

Now i need to make paper, which needs wood pulp.

How do i make that in the stone age? with this gtnh mod? i cant seem to figure it out at all.

edit
found it. the mortar :/

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 4, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I hearby interrupt this live broadcast of Mass Suicide on Gregtech Island to ask what optimization mods I should be including these days in 1.7.10. I have Fastcraft 1.21 in BFSR, but I yearn for more. The demo rigs choking up on the server is disappointing and not very confidence-inspiring.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Mass Suicide on Gregtech Island

Server name found

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ok how hosed am i?

Some named witch had a blue creeper and it came to my door and exploded. My entire base is now encased in cobblestone and flooded with water.

Chipping away at the cobblestone makes silverworms thing spawn.

I really didnt have much to lose, but seriously ><

If i manage to remove the cobblestone how do i get rid of the water? it seems to just respawn (which would be awesome as this mod has limited water, but not in my loving base ><)

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Joined in on this madness, but god drat is it infuriating. Especially after I looked on what's needed for better ore processing than the smeltery.

I don't understand Greg's steam at all. Cheated in some steam boilers, a drum of water, and some ender io fluid conduits, all of a sudden, my base was gone. :( Lesson learned, I guess. Nothing non-greg connected to greg-stuff. And no cheating in advanced machinery.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I'll be surprised if you guys stick with it once you realize what's supposed to happen next in GT: NH.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CoreDuo posted:

I'll be surprised if you guys stick with it once you realize what's supposed to happen next in GT: NH.

GT:NH is designed to drive normal sane people into gibbering wrecks so that they find playing lego harry potter exciting and amazing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

ok how hosed am i?

Some named witch had a blue creeper and it came to my door and exploded. My entire base is now encased in cobblestone and flooded with water.

Chipping away at the cobblestone makes silverworms thing spawn.

I really didnt have much to lose, but seriously ><

If i manage to remove the cobblestone how do i get rid of the water? it seems to just respawn (which would be awesome as this mod has limited water, but not in my loving base ><)

Just place blocks on the water to delete it. It really shouldn't be infinite, but so long as you get it all (gravel or sand works wonders) it won't come back. Your chests are most likely fine, I think Drowning creepers only replace air blocks.

Oh uh, that reminds me... you should probably go into the specialmobs config and turn off Drowning, Dirt, and Gravel creepers. Dirt creepers just create a big ol' orb of dirt in hopes of suffocating you, while Gravel creepers do the same thing I think, except with gravel? Those three types just make a big mess and are not worth the minor added challenge. I've been turning off Fishing mobs as well, as they can make you fall in lava/off a cliff, but that's up to you. Hungry and Thief mobs are turned off already, thank god.

I also suggest turning some parts of the "anger mod" off. The config is in the gtnewhorizons directory. I turned off kamikaze revenge(gives every mob a 5% chance to explode for minor damage upon death, even passive ones), and passive mob anger/fear response upon eating their kind of meat near them. Maybe something else too I forget.

I turned off parts of Infernal Mobs that annoy me, such as Ghastly, Storm, Choking, Alchemist, and Blastoff. All those can trigger even if the mob is passive, like on zombie pigmen. I also turn off Rust, because it's dumb and glitchy.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Just place blocks on the water to delete it. It really shouldn't be infinite, but so long as you get it all (gravel or sand works wonders) it won't come back. Your chests are most likely fine, I think Drowning creepers only replace air blocks.

Oh uh, that reminds me... you should probably go into the specialmobs config and turn off Drowning, Dirt, and Gravel creepers. Dirt creepers just create a big ol' orb of dirt in hopes of suffocating you, while Gravel creepers do the same thing I think, except with gravel? Those three types just make a big mess and are not worth the minor added challenge. I've been turning off Fishing mobs as well, as they can make you fall in lava/off a cliff, but that's up to you. Hungry and Thief mobs are turned off already, thank god.

I also suggest turning some parts of the "anger mod" off. The config is in the gtnewhorizons directory. I turned off kamikaze revenge(gives every mob a 5% chance to explode for minor damage upon death, even passive ones), and passive mob anger/fear response upon eating their kind of meat near them. Maybe something else too I forget.

I turned off parts of Infernal Mobs that annoy me, such as Ghastly, Storm, Choking, Alchemist, and Blastoff. All those can trigger even if the mob is passive, like on zombie pigmen. I also turn off Rust, because it's dumb and glitchy.

But....

you arent then playing it as the author intended.

end of light was a fun pack back in the 1.6.4 days
We were test playing it as the author tweaked stuff around us.

it certainly promoted playing as a big team., doing solo was a big no no.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I've just been avoiding hostile mobs in every way possible. Fortunately it's worked so far. I got 3 stacks of bone meal in reward bags so I've got a sleeping bag too finally.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

took a while, but my house now has a new landscaped front and a reflection pool.

Ok turning this crap off asap.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

But....

end of light was a fun pack back in the 1.6.4 days
We were test playing it as the author tweaked stuff around us.

it certainly promoted playing as a big team., doing solo was a big no no.
Okay, but I'm playing it in a way that is more fun for me.

I played End of Light solo for a while. I eventually managed to get some diamonds and make a Weather Deflector among other powerful things and sortof lost interest after that.
I wonder if you ever noticed the gravestone bug? GoG2 had an "armor piercing" extra heart of damage on its mobs that wasn't coded properly or something, so the Gravestones mod didn't catch your death correctly and no gravestone was generated. Which means goodbye inventory.

In other New Horizons news... I found out a coke oven will stop working once it's full of creosote oil. Yet, there are no easy to make fluid tanks at this stage of the game. What's a Steve to do?
Welll.... I found a solution.

Use the world as storage!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

thats how i dealt with my water problem at first, hey i might use that water some time.

Im stuck though. I need a knife to make a hole in a piece of paper to make bricks (just like in real life) and i have no clue how to make the file to make the knife. Seems you already need to have iron....

I think ill do some skyfactory for a bit

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

In other New Horizons news... I found out a coke oven will stop working once it's full of creosote oil. Yet, there are no easy to make fluid tanks at this stage of the game. What's a Steve to do?
Welll.... I found a solution.

Use the world as storage!

Congrats on your urine pool.

Meskhenet posted:

Im stuck though. I need a knife to make a hole in a piece of paper to make bricks (just like in real life) and i have no clue how to make the file to make the knife.

You can make a knife out of flint.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 4, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
New Horizons: I've been digging, tunneling, caving, and spelunking around at the proper height for a while (y=10-40) and no sign of iron ore. Loads of magnetite and granitic/basaltic mineral sands, plenty of copper and tin ore (plain copper and plain tin only, it seems), even some gold. Yet no sign of plain old iron ore. Which this next quest seems to need. I'm now starting to worry that my method of worldgen somehow omitted some necessary deposits, as I've had similar trouble finding malachite, for instance. I don't know if this is just supposed to be super rare or I've hosed up. I did "realistic alpha" worldgen which I thought was fine (otherwise why have that mod installed?) and at least wouldn't alter ore gen, but now I'm not sure. And I don't know of any way to check, either, because the only xray mod I found doesn't work with Gregtech's method of handling ores VS block IDs (same for MCEdit's 'analyze' function), so I can't just make sure before pressing on. Is anyone else finding this stuff all right, and if so what worldgen method are you using?

Did I screw up? Anyone have any insight on this? :ohdear:

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

CoreDuo posted:

Congrats on your urine pool.

You can make a knife out of flint.

holy gently caress, why does that not show up in nei?, Then again the flint tools didnt either i think ><

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

New Horizons: I've been digging, tunneling, caving, and spelunking around at the proper height for a while (y=10-40) and no sign of iron ore. Loads of magnetite and granitic/basaltic mineral sands, plenty of copper and tin ore (plain copper and plain tin only, it seems), even some gold. Yet no sign of plain old iron ore. Which this next quest seems to need. I'm now starting to worry that my method of worldgen somehow omitted some necessary deposits, as I've had similar trouble finding malachite, for instance. I don't know if this is just supposed to be super rare or I've hosed up. I did "realistic alpha" worldgen which I thought was fine (otherwise why have that mod installed?) and at least wouldn't alter ore gen, but now I'm not sure. And I don't know of any way to check, either, because the only xray mod I found doesn't work with Gregtech's method of handling ores VS block IDs (same for MCEdit's 'analyze' function), so I can't just make sure before pressing on.

I found iron ore in a magnetite vein, though I'm using BoP. I've closed Minecraft now, but I don't think I even got a quest for iron. Only copper, aluminum, and tin. I also haven't found malachite yet though I haven't been looking that hard for it since I've been mining for the whole fuckton of iron I need for my next project.

EDIT: According to this page you need an actual iron vein to find malachite. So it's possible that you've just been unlucky. GregTech ore gen is a cruel mistress.

Meskhenet posted:

holy gently caress, why does that not show up in nei?, Then again the flint tools didnt either i think ><

GregTech stuff is always wonky in NEI, I usually have to find it by hitting 'u' on the material.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 4, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Gregtech ore generation is similar to TFC ore generation in that you may just get unlucky and have to dig for loving ever to find a particular type of vein. Once you find a vein though, you'll get a lot of ore out of it.

Speaking of ore, the plain copper and tin ore is from ProjectRed which is NOT supposed to be generating. The config file is hosed up, you want to replace it with this:
http://pastebin.com/gUJswM6S

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

TheresaJayne posted:

But....

Congrats, whether that author is myself or anyone else, this should have absolutely no reverence whatsoever, and idiots who worship at that altar are imbeciles.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah, thanks for your help. Now I see the problem. I greatly misunderstood how GT ores spawn, and was getting confused/misled by the projectred tin/copper ores.

So GT spawns ore in massive, mostly horizontal deposits every few chunks. These deposits contain about 2-5 ore types, grouped by presets. What I'm looking for is one that starts very low, around 10-30, and will contain Chalcopyrite, Iron Ore, and Copper Ore, which come in one of these preset groups. Once I find some I'll be set.

My question is: how the gently caress are you supposed to mine for these normally? There's no means of prospecting that I can think of/find and the way they're spaced out at random heights means it seems like the best option is to walk a few chunks, then dig straight down to bedrock and see if you hit any ore on the way down. If not, go back up, and repeat.
I want to say I'm missing something, but given GT, this seems like the actual answer.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Ah, thanks for your help. Now I see the problem. I greatly misunderstood how GT ores spawn, and was getting confused/misled by the projectred tin/copper ores.

So GT spawns ore in massive, mostly horizontal deposits every few chunks. These deposits contain about 2-5 ore types, grouped by presets. What I'm looking for is one that starts very low, around 10-30, and will contain Chalcopyrite, Iron Ore, and Copper Ore, which come in one of these preset groups. Once I find some I'll be set.

My question is: how the gently caress are you supposed to mine for these normally? There's no means of prospecting that I can think of/find and the way they're spaced out at random heights means it seems like the best option is to walk a few chunks, then dig straight down to bedrock and see if you hit any ore on the way down. If not, go back up, and repeat.
I want to say I'm missing something, but given GT, this seems like the actual answer.

Caving is a good way to find ore. Normally, checking out cliffsides is a good option as well for some ore types, but I'm not sure Realistic World Generation has that much exposed rock. I found a mountain and it was mostly covered in either clay or cobble.

If you're looking for a specific type, and thus have an optimal depth, a 2x1 tunnel is a simple method. Core samples like you describe sound like they'd work pretty well too, though you risk dunking yourself in lava that way without use of some technique that keeps you from immediately falling into the block you're mining out.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

Congrats, whether that author is myself or anyone else, this should have absolutely no reverence whatsoever, and idiots who worship at that altar are imbeciles.

I was trying to be funny, as the whole argument between Greg and Tcon was that they were unnerfing stuff greg wanted to be nerfed and so greg threw his toys out the pram and added the code to crash minecraft if TCon was installed

News Report posted:

Code’s been discovered in the Minecraft GregTech mod which will crash the game if the mod’s alterations are undone by other mods. The discovery has resulted in GregTech’s inclusion in the Feed the Beast mod collection becoming tenuous as the collection’s curator, SlowPoke, says “Any mod that is found to contain code like this will be removed from a pack.”

A recent update to GregTech nerfed wood collection in Minecraft. It changed the number of planks generated from crafting wood from four to two, halving the production rate for players. A significant change to the game which changes the core balance of resource collection. Because the change is on such a fundamental element of the game it means that many mods that might be running in tandem with GregTech have become unbalanced.

The developer of Tinker’s Construct, mDiyo, responded to Greg’s changes by releasing an update which undid the changes that Greg had implemented. If you had both mods installed then you would once again collect four planks from wood.

At this point Greg added code to his mod which would crash the game if his changes to wood were altered. As soon as code concerning gathering wood was run then the game would crash.

MDiyo removed his de-nerfing code and Greg his crash code, and, according to mDiyo, “everything regarding the crash has been undone, I'm pretty sure, but... well. [...] I would never recommend them in the same pack.”

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, can someone mod in a 1 log (and maybe a dirt or something retarded) that makes a bench that doubles plank numbers.

because this 2 planks per log is stuuuuuuuuuupid

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If getting half as many planks per log (and half as many sticks from that, so 2 sticks per log) is the breaking point for you, you are not going to like what lies beyond.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

I was trying to be funny, as the whole argument between Greg and Tcon was that they were unnerfing stuff greg wanted to be nerfed and so greg threw his toys out the pram and added the code to crash minecraft if TCon was installed

What's stopping people from just releasing a branch of GregTech with the dumbest things undumbified?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Cryohazard posted:

What's stopping people from just releasing a branch of GregTech with the dumbest things undumbified?

Sooooo... Vanilla mine craft?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

man this new horizons pack has awful performance

more than about 30m of play and i get constant FPS drops and stuttering

gonna try increasing the ram to 4GB and see if that helps

e: trip report addendum, after relaunching with 4GB, i spawned underneath the earth at what appears to be y-level 30 or so and suffocated in solid rock :pwn:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 4, 2016

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Wow somebody out-unstabled OMPi, I don't know what to think of that.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

And in less stupid packs I have a question about FTB Mage Quest. Is the blood magic part only next to go upto the second orb? It didn't even cover rituals at all and that seemed a little weird.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Cryohazard posted:

I don't think you even need to fork it because there's about 16 billion configuration options in it to make it less dumb. In GT: NH a lot of the worst stuff is done with MineTweaker scripts. You could even do the reverse of what they did and override GT recipes with easier ones.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 4, 2016

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Looking for ideas/help on the Void modpack. I've been playing it a while now, and am stuck at a certain point. I cannot unlock the Machine quest under Technical (I think), that gives a Netherrack reward... I saw it on some playthrough. I've done all the quests I can, and it's still locked. There are two quests under the Village that I cannot do for reasons. The magnum torch quest, I cannot find Ernst -- I've looked repeatedly through the whole village. The gelid cryotheum quest I cannot do because I cannot find any blizzes.

Am I screwed here? thanks in advance for any assistance.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

New Horizons: I've been digging, tunneling, caving, and spelunking around at the proper height for a while (y=10-40) and no sign of iron ore. Loads of magnetite and granitic/basaltic mineral sands, plenty of copper and tin ore (plain copper and plain tin only, it seems), even some gold. Yet no sign of plain old iron ore. Which this next quest seems to need. I'm now starting to worry that my method of worldgen somehow omitted some necessary deposits, as I've had similar trouble finding malachite, for instance. I don't know if this is just supposed to be super rare or I've hosed up. I did "realistic alpha" worldgen which I thought was fine (otherwise why have that mod installed?) and at least wouldn't alter ore gen, but now I'm not sure. And I don't know of any way to check, either, because the only xray mod I found doesn't work with Gregtech's method of handling ores VS block IDs (same for MCEdit's 'analyze' function), so I can't just make sure before pressing on. Is anyone else finding this stuff all right, and if so what worldgen method are you using?

It's also possible you're overlooking it; I certainly did for a bit because it looks almost identical to smoothstone:

Anybody know how to get rid or at least adjust the readout in the top left?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

On the subject of dumb packs, are there any packs with slow/difficult progression that are slightly less dick-punchy and unstable than NH? I'd like a quest pack that has some harder progression than your standard tech/magic pack so I can't just blitz through everything like usual. But just not completely retarded.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Taffer posted:

slightly less dick-punchy

I love the English language. Material Energy^4 maybe?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

gregtech trip report: can't find any copper except the invalid projectred copper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

It's also possible you're overlooking it; I certainly did for a bit because it looks almost identical to smoothstone:

What the heck? I thought it only spawned y=10-30, and only in big veins. Solo iron ore at surface level is bizarre and I'm sure I would have seen it, even with a subtle texture (I have no problem spotting the equally vague Gypsum Ore). What worldgen are you using, Biomes o' Plenty?

Edminster posted:

Anybody know how to get rid or at least adjust the readout in the top left?
Ingame Info XML is the mod.
You may also want to drop Holo-Inventory, which pops up a visual of EVERY ITEM IN ANY CONTAINER when you look at it.