Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Are the FFXIII sequels any good?

I've heard that LR is a good, though very weird, game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That's a shame, XIII has really cool music and I appreciate the return to the weird cyberpunk aesthetic it's too bad nobody took the individual parts and made an excellent whole with them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

That's a shame, XIII has really cool music and I appreciate the return to the weird cyberpunk aesthetic it's too bad nobody took the individual parts and made an excellent whole with them.

Well, if that's what you are looking for, you'd probably like XIII-2 a lot more than I did. It more or less makes FF13's game mechanics work and throws in a monster-raising thing because FF13's mechanics are paper thin. If you want more of that, you'll find it there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate Nomura's FF games so much.

E: Wait, do I mean Toriyama? Whoever made FFX be so terrible.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/705509157072457728

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I hate Nomura's FF games so much.

E: Wait, do I mean Toriyama? Whoever made FFX be so terrible.

FFX is good though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX is good though.

I adore FFX, but in kind of an ironic way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4JI4D7rZQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX is good though.

If by good you mean so terrible I quit in disgust an hour in and never looked back.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate the art direction of 13 so much. All enemies look the same and the characters look dumb. For some reason whoever designed them got top billing on the title screen, so apparently Square is proud of him for whatever reason.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lurdiak posted:

Whoever made FFX be so terrible.

The linear gameplay matched with linear character development barring bad choices, along with heavy frontloading of "wander around town and talk to people" segments and unskippable cutscenes? I don't think that would be one person.

Great boss fight design though.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Isn't that the same laugh? They didn't dub it? How strange.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i do like how final fantasy xiii has two characters in a lesbian relationship not because they were originally written to be that, but because one of them was a dude and square enix suddenly changed them into a woman without changing much of the character dynamic

i both find it kinda funny and also think it's one of the few things i know about it that actually sound pretty neat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The linear gameplay matched with linear character development barring bad choices, along with heavy frontloading of "wander around town and talk to people" segments and unskippable cutscenes?

isn't that most FF games, maybe substituting "linear character development" with "homogeneous character development"?

e: a lot of JRPGs are pretty much linear, unless you really like backtracking to towns where everybody acts the same as when you went there 2 hours into the game and still sell wooden swords

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The linear gameplay matched with linear character development barring bad choices, along with heavy frontloading of "wander around town and talk to people" segments and unskippable cutscenes? I don't think that would be one person.

Great boss fight design though.

Barring the weirdness of having Ice and Water in their 4-elment wheel, the combat was one of the better aspects of FFX, especially compared with what followed. But it still did things like have attack animations for anything fancier than a punch take a millenium, and the gimmicky boss fights took ages(from what I've seen).

Motto posted:

isn't that most FF games, maybe substituting "linear character development" with "homogeneous character development"?

Previous FF games had world maps where you could choose to visit different places, optional areas, and dungeons with mazelike elements and general... being a dungeon-ness. FFX is pretty much just a straight shot from start to finish. The game never opens up. It's like if Midgar was the entirety of FF7.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 4, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
FFX's battle system ruled. Having a JRPG where you actually get to use all of your party members all the time and all of them are worth using (except Kimhari, poor lion man) is something that seems like common sense but never popped up elsewhere. It's up there with Skies of Arcadia having a shared regenerating pool of energy for every party member's special attacks when it comes to mechanics that should have been used more.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ATB combat's bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sleeveless posted:

FFX's battle system ruled. Having a JRPG where you actually get to use all of your party members all the time and all of them are worth using (except Kimhari, poor lion man) is something that seems like common sense but never popped up elsewhere. It's up there with Skies of Arcadia having a shared regenerating pool of energy for every party member's special attacks when it comes to mechanics that should have been used more.

from what i've heard, the new star ocean will let you use seven party members in combat, which i'm going to assume is if not the entire party, a very large portion of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People like X-2's combat for some reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

ATB combat's bad.

i've been enjoying it in ff7 more than the combat in wild arms and koudelka though actually that's probably not saying much

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

People like X-2's combat for some reason.

I like when Wolverine fights all the SWAT guys in the mansion.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i've been enjoying it in ff7 more than the combat in wild arms and koudelka though actually that's probably not saying much

It's not terrible, but ATB games are, imo, definitely the kind of games where the fun is in customizing your dudes rather than actually fighting. The whole "enemies can attack you while you pick your most powerful spell again" thing doesn't really add much, which is why I'm not very fond of FFIV. Even going back to V is kind of a pain because of how long it takes to unlock interesting abilities.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

FFX's battle system ruled.

Yeah. It's just, y'know, the rest of it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

It's not terrible, but ATB games are, imo, definitely the kind of games where the fun is in customizing your dudes rather than actually fighting. The whole "enemies can attack you while you pick your most powerful spell again" thing doesn't really add much, which is why I'm not very fond of FFIV. Even going back to V is kind of a pain because of how long it takes to unlock interesting abilities.

yeah, i think the reason i'm enjoying it so much more is because compared to those two games it actually feels like something is happening during combat, and that thing is happening at a speed that doesn't make me get really tired of playing after a while

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What game is that?

Edit: oh it looks like it's for some handheld I will never own.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Looks a bit like Metroid Prime: Hunters?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snak posted:

What game is that?

the top is federation force

the bottom is metroid prime hunters

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

It was very ambitious for its time, but I'd argue it is probably Square's most coherent story in terms of localization, themes, leitmotifs, and general world building. There's a real coherency to FFX that earlier games--like FFVIII for instance--just don't have.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like ffx but it isnt my fave ff by any means

I havent played ff13 but I can safely say that ff13 is bad because it doesn't have Ark from FF9 in it, despite Ark being a transformer and the summons in ff13 being transformers

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dr Cheeto posted:

Peach, Zelda, and Marth engage in a spirited political debate.

corn in the bible posted:

please draw the lakitu camera guy presenting super mario 64 at sundance

multijoe posted:

Revengence-era Raiden arm wrestling Snake and looking really mad

Sorry guys, overslept, these will come tonight or this weekend.

Snak posted:

Please tell me that you're using a table to draw these and not that you are the god of mouse skills.

Well, of course, it's a cheap wacom bamboo manga.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the top is federation force

the bottom is metroid prime hunters

Lmao I was thinking it was hunters on top and maybe the first Prime game on bottom in terms of quality.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
you are doing the lord's work limacat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga posted:

lightning returns owns a hell of a lot but 13-2 is lame

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Final Fantasy XIII > Final Fantasy XIII-2 > Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

The plots for all of the games are terrible but I atleast start enjoying the plots after FFXIII-2 starts. It's still terrible, but it's campy terrible, so it felt more fun. And LR is just the most ridiculous thing ever, but it's pretty drat fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Grimace posted:

Final Fantasy XIII > Final Fantasy XIII-2 > Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

The plots for all of the games are terrible but I atleast start enjoying the plots after FFXIII-2 starts. It's still terrible, but it's campy terrible, so it felt more fun. And LR is just the most ridiculous thing ever, but it's pretty drat fun.

why the hell do you think 13 is better than 13-3 you're insane

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

For ATB games, you can set it to Wait and increase battle speed to max and it will play close to like FFX. Jerks might mock you for using Wait but you shouldn't listen to them cuz they're jerks.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Everyone 's job in no man's Sky needs to be to reach the center of the galaxy and call one planet Molyneux.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jay Rust posted:

I hate the art direction of 13 so much. All enemies look the same and the characters look dumb. For some reason whoever designed them got top billing on the title screen, so apparently Square is proud of him for whatever reason.

Well, all the enemies have at least four recolors...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

corn in the bible posted:

why the hell do you think 13 is better than 13-3 you're insane

Yeah, I'm just loving stupid. I meant to put all of those backwards- Lightning Returns is the best, and FFXIII itself is the worst. By far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

Lightning Returns is the best FF game SE have made in years because actually a Valkyrie Profile game in disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX is good though.

I replayed the HD one recently and the way I described the experience was "it's a bad good game"

Like you know how a "good bad" game or movie or w/e is something that's clearly objectively flawed and stupid but extremely fun or funny or interesting? FFX is a game that's really well-made in all technical aspects, probably has the tightest and most well-balanced combat/bosses of any Final Fantasy, and has some good story beats, but also has some awful story beats, a ton of unskippable bad cutscenes, and some of the most repulsively awful minigames ever designed which are a big part of the otherwise-anemic endgame and optional content; it felt like a "good game" on some level but I was basically never enjoying it

It's also the closest thing to a prototype of FFXIII

• Locked thread