Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I was waiting for someone to post this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One per platform is hardly excessive, and the last true Paper Mario game came out in 2012.

2007?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2000 actually :twisted:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
There was never a paper mario. It was all fake. Miyamoto made it up

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna buy Paper Jam...one day.

And I'll buy the Wii U one too. I will!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Really felt like they are abandoning the wiiu. Not "it's dead" but, whatever has been made for it will come out and that's that. I doubt there will be anything for it but some cross nx games by next year.

That leaves me like 5 games I want/need to play.

Also I really want to play that star fox guard game on my android device. Seems like some good tower defense which is a toilet/work break genre for me.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bombadilillo posted:

Really felt like they are abandoning the wiiu. Not "it's dead" but, whatever has been made for it will come out and that's that. I doubt there will be anything for it but some cross nx games by next year.

That leaves me like 5 games I want/need to play.

Also I really want to play that star fox guard game on my android device. Seems like some good tower defense which is a toilet/work break genre for me.

they talked about some games for the wiiu, its gonna die soon :tinfoil:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

they talked about some games for the wiiu, its gonna die soon :tinfoil:

300 posts in the wiiu thread...about 3ds metroid, better irrationally pretend they aren't winding down the console.

Get hyped for the nx dummy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bombadilillo posted:

300 posts in the wiiu thread...about 3ds metroid, better irrationally pretend they aren't winding down the console.

Get hyped for the nx dummy.

I mean, we all agree that Wii U Star Fox Zero is going to be game of the year every year from now on and that Uncle Grippy is amazing, but 3ds metroid seems to be kind of a controversial topic round' these parts

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Uncle Grippy..........

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
He's a toad with a mustache. How does this work?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

win one for the Gripper

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'll get Color Splash when it comes out but I don't have high hopes for it

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Suspicious Cook posted:

A sharpie and the hair is obviously a toupeé.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Calaveron posted:

So Paper Mario is Nintendo's Call of Duty or

Do you write headlines for game websites or are you just an rear end in a top hat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Someone just this morning was praising splatoon for being an original ip and not just pasting whatever character fit most on it.

Then I see ole Slippy and Grippy.

Never change Nintendo.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Someone just this morning was praising splatoon for being an original ip and not just pasting whatever character fit most on it.

Never change Nintendo.

I am pretty sure it was always Star Fox themed.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bombadilillo posted:

Never change Nintendo.

he's his uncle dude

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Shiggy just did his usual "use fond memories of old experiences to make a game" thing and recalled the time while developing Star Fox that he manned the security system to gun down intruders trying to steal the prototype.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bombadilillo posted:

Never change Nintendo.

It's okay in this instance because I still don't care about the game but now I have a picture of Uncle Grippy to think about.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Uncle Grippy is definitely the Character Find of Video Games 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What about his twin cousins Flippy and Nippy?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And Clippy, who no one in the family likes to talk about.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

Clearly meant to be a Hairy Frog. Nintendo does their research before creating these characters.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are people only allowed to say a game looks bad after it comes out now or what.

Lotta people rushing to defend poor paper mario despite literally everything in the trailer saying it's sticker star again :shrug:.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A dynamic duo

Slip'n'Grip

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are people only allowed to say a game looks bad after it comes out now or what.

Lotta people rushing to defend poor paper mario despite literally everything in the trailer saying it's sticker star again :shrug:.

lol

but really, I feel it's stupid to say "game is poo poo" or "game looks bad" based on what little we have seen, and obviously it would be a bad choice for Nintendo to release "Sticker star but now with paint!", so I'm going to assume that they've touched up the combat a bit, maybe made it a tad less "you need this one battle item to make this boss fathomable to fight"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm all for waiting to see....but it did literally have a card you paint to fight with.

Hopefully they at least balanced it better, multiple ways for fight the same boss ect.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol

but really, I feel it's stupid to say "game is poo poo" or "game looks bad" based on what little we have seen, and obviously it would be a bad choice for Nintendo to release "Sticker star but now with paint!", so I'm going to assume that they've touched up the combat a bit, maybe made it a tad less "you need this one battle item to make this boss fathomable to fight"

It's kind of a mix of things
-Trailer showed absolutely 0 original characters outside the paint bucket
-In one shot you can see the level end stars from sticker star
-Has the Things coming back
-Mario picks up Dusty Jump items again
-Everything has that ugly white border around it and everything is poorly animated again
-There's a overworld map that sticker star used instead of connecting things naturally.

Like what they showed looks bad and I find it kinda silly that people are saying others aren't allowed to say it looks bad when it in fact does. When the only bit of combat they showed was Mario picking from cards he has it doesn't exactly inspire faith.

Like Bill even says it's a action adventure game now. That's a red flag.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I think the worst part about paper mario sticker star and color splash doing the entire world and not chapter-divided stages is that, well… its too easy. it's almost entirely too easy to write a storyline with this dynamic. think of the speedrun principle: segmented speedruns are easier to do because they don't have (or don't need to have) continuity, but full speedruns are by default much more exciting because it's all tied in together and it flows differently

actually, its even WORse with what nintendo is doing. in speedruns, you aren't necessarily creating something. rather, you are introducing new mechanics to something that has already been done. however, nintendo is taking the easy way out with writing a plot because it’s much easier to make a few small stories than it is to make a long narrative with bits and pieces scattered across levels

TTYD had an incredibly rich and diverse world not just because each stage had its own atmosphere and lore, but because it all came together in the end. it felt like a world, because they designed it in a way that it actually and behaves like one. characters have an influence on their surroundings and vice versa. that's how you create immersion for your players.

sticker star and color splash take most of that excitement away, because it feels like the "worlds" (as they're called) are completely apart from each other. like they were just thrown together. not to mention we don't get a diverse cast of background characters as we did on the first three games of the franchise. I mean, I'm not the biggest SPM fan but it honest to god had such cool NPCs!
frankly, it seems like they just want to include toads everywhere and not bother to create anything else at this point. not to mention this battle mechanic with the freaking stickers (or cards? I have no idea what they are on this game) . give us back the turn-based poo poo we all know and love. eugh, let's just hope for the best with color splash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully they let Bowser actually talk in this one.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
paper mario fans aren't people

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Who was it that said TTYD was so good it broke a generation of gamers? That.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why did #FE do bad in japan? I thought japan liked SMT & FE a bunch

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

It came out on the Wii U.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

It went from a crossover to a new IP vaguely inspired by the two series while not actually resembling either, and also it was a niche game on a console in Japan, and the WiiU to boot.

e: Also it's a bit of a stretch to say that Japan likes SMT and FE "a bunch" to the point that it'd guarantee a WiiU game's success. They're both more successful than ever, but they aren't going to be selling DQ numbers anytime soon; not even Persona is anywhere near that level.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 4, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FirstAidKite posted:

part of it is because the (barely) reveal trailer showed the past SMT and FE heroes together, and then the game was not exactly what people expected it to be and was in fact something very different

to the point where some retards called it false advertising

that AND because it came out on the WiiU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

Who was it that said TTYD was so good it broke a generation of gamers? That.

I liked the Paper Mario that came after TTYD even though it was different

Sticker Star was just a poo poo game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

It's a game marketed to thirsty otakus that didn't come out on the Vita.

• Locked thread