Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The resemblance is stronger from behind. It's got the three rockets and the long pointy shape. It's a part of the design gradually morphing into the famous evil triangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I get more of a Corellian corvette feeling from it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

I get more of a Corellian corvette feeling from it.

Yeah, it looks a lot like the blockade runner, which makes the droid control ship that eats it up the star destroyer equivalent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, it looks a lot like the blockade runner, which makes the droid control ship that eats it up the star destroyer equivalent.

The thing to note, though, is that the red ship is the aggressor in this situation (or, rather, it's an ambiguous situation where they are both aggressors).

As the Ring Theory guy shows in detail, the image at the start of Episode 1 is a reference to the bit in Episode 6, where an Imperial shuttle disembarks from an Imperial Star Destroyer and heads towards an Imperial Deathstar (above an Imperial-occupied planet). So if you want to be very strict with this analogy, Episode 1's 'Star Destroyer' would be the offscreen planet Coruscant.

But in any case, there's no reason to omit the cool Trade Federation mothership from this series of posters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamnit, there are so many Star Wars blu-rays out I can't figure out what to get. Is there any that offers actually extra decent special features, or are they all basically the same outside of packaging? I don't care about dumb poo poo like steelbooks or digital copies or whatever.

The most recent digital set don't come with non-English subtitles so if, like me, that's an important discriminator to you be aware of that. As far as features go, what are you qualifying as a worth it extra feature? Most of them are mini-documentaries and such that you can probably just YouTube if you get that desparate.

Edit: Episode 3 starts with a hell of a Star Destroyer but since its extremely bright and colorful shot they probably skipped it for not fitting the more looming opening aesthetic (which they've retroactively imposed on Episode IV) of later films.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 4, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BrianWilly posted:

Okay. I can see where Luke is a political character in the sense that a soldier is necessarily a political creature. Luke fights in a political conflict, kills for his cause, and throws his weight behind a clear ideological faction. And I certainly don't want to downplay the political importance of Luke.

Where I'm drawing the line is the idea that Luke has given any more thought to his position against the Empire than "Those are the bad guys, and I have to defeat them." It's an entirely correct viewpoint, lest anyone thinks I'm mocking it, but it's a moralistic view, not a political one. Luke is morally-conscientious, not politically-conscientious -- and I'm hoping I don't have to spell out the difference for anyone -- and his perspective on the intricate political backdrop of Star Wars, whatever that may be, is really not something that forms some vital core of his character.

How do you know any of that? Star Wars keeps everything vague enough that you can imagine the galactic conflict is as complex or simple as you like.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The trailer for the Blu-Ray shows a bit of a deeted scene featuring Kylo Ren aboard the Falcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzbyDq3QSY

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

drunkill posted:

Someone made a set of :krad: posters, all showing the opening Star Destroyer scenes from each movie.

God drat that First Order ship looks loving horrible.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Hello new desktop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PriorMarcus posted:

God drat that First Order ship looks loving horrible.

I like it. It has a cool profile.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I like it. It has a cool profile.

It does have more of an arrowhead/speartip look to it, and is in keeping with Kylo Ren's more primitive lightsaber. Completely at odds with the new TIE fighters though, so . . . yeah. Not a great direction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homullus posted:

It does have more of an arrowhead/speartip look to it, and is in keeping with Kylo Ren's more primitive lightsaber. Completely at odds with the new TIE fighters though, so . . . yeah. Not a great direction.

Aren't they the same as the old ones but recolored and with a turret?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunkill posted:

Someone made a set of :krad: posters, all showing the opening Star Destroyer scenes from each movie.

The Empire one looks a bit poo poo next to the others. The angle's terrible. I'm sure there's a better shot they could have used. The TFA one is beautiful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

The TFA one is beautiful.

However, because the opening shot was confusing, the poster creator shows the troop transports flying up to the moon

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The TFA one is pretty cool and fits with the theme of being sleeker revision of classic Empire designs. My only problem is that the faux greeble look is kind of messy and not as detail-rich as the classic ol' styrene sheets 'n toobs. It does contribute to an overall granite/stone look, which fits the the arrowhead look, and gives credence to the idea that they're returning to primitive Sith ways (will have to wait for the next movie to see if they take Snoke in that direction, though).

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

turtlecrunch posted:

Preorder at half-price ($20) is up for TFA blu-ray http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Blu-ray/dp/B018FK66TU/
Doesn't appear to have a 3D version

Wait a sec - is this some kinda gimped edition, lacking special features??

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chill Penguin posted:

Looks like it. The Target edition has 20 minutes of extra content so it sounds like they're doing the retailer-exclusive poo poo. So wait six months for a full release.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

However, because the opening shot was confusing, the poster creator shows the troop transports flying up to the moon

Actually he shows a cool pretty picture of a spaceship.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chill Penguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzbyDq3QSY
All versions should have the special features per the trailer, but Target's version has an extra 20 minutes of interviews because apparently retailer exclusives aren't just for videogames anymore.

However in all honesty they will release a "mint special sparkle feature" edition either later on or when the whole trilogy is out that has everything.

There's also a list of what specific deleted scenes are included now https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/sci-fi/star-wars-the-force-awakens-steelbook/889395/

• Finn And The Villager
• Jakku Message
• X-wings Prepare For Lightspeed
• Kylo Searches The Falcon
• Snow Speeder Chase
• Finn Will Be Fine

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

Looks like it. The Target edition has 20 minutes of extra content so it sounds like they're doing the retailer-exclusive poo poo. So wait six months for a full release.

Actually, wait until 2021 when the definitive sequel trilogy is out on Blu Ray, or whatever format we're using by then.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Actually, wait until 2021 when the definitive sequel trilogy is out on Blu Ray, or whatever format we're using by then.

HD DVD, its coming back!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jerkface posted:

HD DVD, its coming back!

Betamax. Don't forget to pick up the definitive trilogy soundtrack on wax cylinders! Or engraved onto crude pottery, if you're one of those hipsters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Phylodox posted:

Betamax. Don't forget to pick up the definitive trilogy soundtrack on wax cylinders! Or engraved onto crude pottery, if you're one of those hipsters.

By simply reading the cave drawing backwards i have made han solo shoot first. Eat poo poo Lu'Kas, ur drawing sux!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All of you are morons...clearly the format that needs to come back is Video CD.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Raxivace posted:

All of you are morons...clearly the format that needs to come back is Video CD.

Nope. This is what I'm waiting for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I saw a few of those six months ago at a flea market. What an absolutely bizarre format.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

• Finn Will Be Fine

Oh thank heavens. I was worried in Episode VIII he'd be in a coma or a grave for the whole thing.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Nobody is confused about TFA's opening shot. Please stop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
TFA's opening shot was so confusing and disorienting. My head was spinning and I forgot where I was for a moment. I puked all over the person sitting in front of me and then I passed out. When I came to, I was handcuffed to a gurney in an abandoned hospital!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im not just sure about the movie thing. sometimes watching the movie i say that is me and my mom is like, no, that is poe. other times i am watching the movie and i say that is me and my mom is like no, that is rey. sometimes i get really confuse because they are two of me talking to each other or sometimes i am hairy or a robot. but i like the movie still and my mom makes me a whole lot of popcorn each time i watch it but sometimes i end up screaming cause i think, am i eating myself?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MrSmokes posted:

Nobody is confused about TFA's opening shot. Please stop.

Except for the guy who made the poster, apparently.

Anyway I was reading an old Art of Star Wars book for Episode I and it's funny, because when describing how they sought to re-create the signature look of Tatooine, the concept artists literally describe it as essentially being a "junkyard world."

Yet more proof that Jakku is really just Tatooine with a new name and some slight changes to the window dressing.

e: In fact, if you watch the Special Edition of A New Hope, it's pretty clear that Mos Eisley itself actually started out as a Niima-type scavenger outpost:

They literally built the city out of the parts of wrecked spaceships.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 5, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

Except for the guy who made the poster, apparently.

He took four nice shots of Star Destroyers. The TFA one is a nice shot of Star Destroyer.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

He took four nice shots of Star Destroyers. The TFA one is a nice shot of Star Destroyer.

The artist didn't take any shots. They made them themself based on images from the movie.

SMG pointed out that the poster shows the landing ships flying towards Jakku's moon for some reason, apparently because the artist misinterpreted the opening shot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

The artist didn't take any shots. They made them themself based on images from the movie.

SMG pointed out that the poster shows the landing ships flying towards Jakku's moon for some reason, apparently because the artist misinterpreted the opening shot.

Neither look like Jakku. Both look like moons:

Looks like he did it on purpose.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turtlecrunch posted:

All versions should have the special features per the trailer, but Target's version has an extra 20 minutes of interviews because apparently retailer exclusives aren't just for videogames anymore.

At least it looks like it won't be as bad as Star Trek Into Darkness, where you literally had to buy the movie from Best Buy, Target, iTunes and Xbox Video to get all the special features.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Okay. I can see where Luke is a political character in the sense that a soldier is necessarily a political creature. Luke fights in a political conflict, kills for his cause, and throws his weight behind a clear ideological faction. And I certainly don't want to downplay the political importance of Luke.

Where I'm drawing the line is the idea that Luke has given any more thought to his position against the Empire than "Those are the bad guys, and I have to defeat them." It's an entirely correct viewpoint, lest anyone thinks I'm mocking it, but it's a moralistic view, not a political one. Luke is morally-conscientious, not politically-conscientious -- and I'm hoping I don't have to spell out the difference for anyone -- and his perspective on the intricate political backdrop of Star Wars, whatever that may be, is really not something that forms some vital core of his character.

Taking a moral stance against a political entity makes Luke politically conscientious by definition.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

e: In fact, if you watch the Special Edition of A New Hope,

No thank you

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

Neither look like Jakku. Both look like moons:

Looks like he did it on purpose.

Note how every other poster includes the planet at the bottom - even though, in Empire Strikes Back, the ship wasn't near Hoth at all. The TFA version doesn't have Jakku at the bottom, because the artist thought the white sphere was Jakku. Either he missed the two brief shots from later in the film, or thought those were just close-ups.

The super-nerds at wookiepedia list only one moon for Jakku, because they were confused in the same way.

The opening shot is disorienting because the (virtual) camera is 'located' roughly on the surface of Jakku, looking up at the sky. Meaning Force Awakens is the first film in the series that doesn't begin in space. But there is no clever reveal of this fact - no "psych! You're in the desert", as in the opening shot of Indiana Jones 4, so people just naturally assumed that the pale ball was the setting.

It is rather bizarre if you think about it. It's like you have a movie set in Canada, but the opening shot is of Montana (as visible from the Canadian side of the border).

Abrams plays fast-and-loose with this stuff in general. When Finn looks down on the scavenger camp, it's an obvious reference to when Obiwan and Luke look down on Mos Eisley. But we've already had multiple scenes set in the scavenger camp, so the shot is deprived of its basic storytelling function.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 5, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The super-nerds at wookiepedia list only one moon for Jakku, because they were confused in the same way.

How many moons does Jakku have in the film? I wasn't paying attention to that. I thought it was zero, to be honest. I tried to google search a picture of the (a?) moon just to compare and contrast with the poster, but nothing doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

How many moons does Jakku have in the film? I wasn't paying attention to that. I thought it was zero, to be honest. I tried to google search a picture of the (a?) moon just to compare and contrast with the poster, but nothing doing.

There were definitely at least two planetary bodies in that opening shot.

• Locked thread