Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

And? This is not Utopia. The NHS in the UK works just fine and it did not cause large scale unemployment when it was introduced. Just, you know, fewer bankrupt people.

The NHS didn't cause large scale unemployment in the UK because immediately post-WWII UK did not have any sort of long term build up of a "health care industry" the way America has. If for some reason the UK had had the US system up to 5 years ago and then they implemented the NHS, there'd be a lot of unemployed people in the short term aftermarth, for years on end.

Consider also that Canada avoided a large scale unemployment from switching to single payer health care only because they took over 40 goddamn years to do it, starting from the first province scale system which didn't even cover everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/SaifsArt/status/705622619454705665 maybe :nws:???

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The entire GOP and conservative movement is having a slow motion nervous breakdown and I can't turn away.

And yeah, O'Reilly was loving hammered

https://twitter.com/mark_esque/status/705611626808942592

Truly, a thing of beauty

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

And apparently Bill O'Reilly, who just lost custody of his kids, is drunk as a skunk right now on live television.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/2/bill-oreilly-loses-custody-of-his-children/

quote:

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly has lost custody of his two teenage children following an alleged domestic violence incident, according to court documents.

A New York appeals court upheld a ruling that denied Mr. O'Reilly sole residential custody and status as sole decision-maker for the 17-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son he had with his ex-wife, Maureen McPhilmy, the New York Daily News reported. The Fox News host will still have visitation rights with his kids on alternating weekends and some holidays.

“There is a sound and substantial basis for the Supreme Court’s determination that it is in the best interests of the children for the mother to be awarded primary residential custody,” the four-judge Appellate Division panel wrote. “Particularly relevant in this case are the clearly stated preferences of the children, especially considering their age and maturity, and the quality of the home environment provided by the mother.”

The ruling was first reported by Gawker.

Last year the website, citing documents leaked from the confidential custody battle, reported that Mr. O'Reilly’s daughter told a court-appointed forensic examiner that she saw her father dragging her mother down a staircase by the neck.

Mr. O'Reilly denied the allegations, telling Politico last May: “All allegations against me in these circumstances are 100% false. I am going to respect the court-mandated confidentiality put in place to protect my children and will not comment any further.”

Court transcripts seen by Gawker allegedly revealed that the daughter also described Mr. O'Reilly as a temperamental, absentee parent who was uninterested in developing a relationship with her.

It is not clear whether Mr. O'Reilly is planning to appeal the court’s ruling. A court docket shown by Gawker does indicate that he is currently pursuing contempt of court charges against his ex-wife.

Jesus.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

bhsman posted:

Holly Anderson retweeted it so I assumed it was just a real good tweet, but sure.

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/703705770081304576

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/703706157991464960

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/703706930104156160

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/703707583299919872

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/703709070189056000

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Haha, those autistic gently caress fact checkers at CNN just rated both Trump and Rubio's claims about Trump U as false because "the school doesn't exist anymore"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Late to the party, but my god ... They're all machines.

This is awesome, hadn't seen the whole thing.

Any updates from the debate? At work counting bags of sand being pumped into a hole.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

The problem with this argument is that the people who were the most confused were also the ones who'd made more of an effort to understand the ME anyhow. The ones who most need to understand the ME are the ones who utterly support Trump and would reject any notion that there are parallels between their patriotism and "those animals over there".

Oh there are already plenty of guys trying to explain to her that the real reason for all of that is just because Muslims are a bunch of animals.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Any updates from the debate? At work counting bags of sand being pumped into a hole.

Fox News turned on Trump and whipped out some premade infographics to "fact-check" the numbers in his health care plan. Now there's a lot of Trump supporters turning on Fox News over it (and also for Megyn Kelly). I have no idea where this will end.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

I am totally primed to think bad things about O'Reilly, but when all the stories on something are coming from rags like the Washington Times or WND, I start to doubt. The Gawker piece and subsequent re-reporting seems to be waaay overstating things. See http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2016/2016_01275.htm.

Also, it is extremely sketchy that everyone just blows past breaching the anonymity of proceedings when that anonymity is for the benefit of the minors in question.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Almost all of the post-debate coverage I've seen has been repeating the "Kasich was the only adult on stage" narrative. Someone please reassure me that this will not be the start of Kasich catching up in delegates and having a chance at the nominee.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zerilan posted:

Almost all of the post-debate coverage I've seen has been repeating the "Kasich was the only adult on stage" narrative. Someone please reassure me that this will not be the start of Kasich catching up in delegates and having a chance at the nominee.

Kasich is not going to win enough delegates to become the nominee on the first ballot. He's way too behind and would need to start racking up so many wins. He's even more hosed than Rubio who is utterly hosed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zerilan posted:

If somehow a meteor took out Trump and either Cruz or Rubio, Kasich would still only be in second place after that.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The only value Kasich has in the race is to take Ohio and it's winner-take-all allocation away from Trump. Remains to be seen if he can do that, but it's very possible. If he doesn't do that it's basically over and the only avenue left for the establishment (outside of a Trumplosion) is to change the rules for nomination at the convention. I don't even know how to hyperbolize the result of that.

The real winner of tonight is... John Boehner. That guy must be feeling great these days.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 4, 2016

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Zerilan posted:

Kasich is indeed the only GOP candidate who has any chance in the general, and might even be favoured over Hillary. Luckily, Republicans are very dumb people, and he's already way too far behind to get the nomination.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Please god let this go viral and be Ted Cruz's "Dean Scream" moment. I couldn't think of a more fitting end to this waste of human flesh.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tobermory posted:

Fox News turned on Trump and whipped out some premade infographics to "fact-check" the numbers in his health care plan. Now there's a lot of Trump supporters turning on Fox News over it (and also for Megyn Kelly). I have no idea where this will end.

Best case scenario, as I see it, is that Fox News so badly alienates Trump supporters this cycle that they swear of the network forever and disperse among the various insane sites on the internet that support their views. Fox News becomes a withered husk of what they once were, a sad crippled thing that is never again considered influential, and eventually closes up after Murdoch and Ailes die.

And while I'm at it, I would like a pony.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boon posted:

The real winner of tonight is... John Boehner. That guy must be feeling great these days.

He passed off his curse to Paul Ryan and can now spend the rest of his days drinking merlot by the gallon in blessed, blessed peace.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Please do not blame forums poster Talmonis for this; he works for one of those upstanding nonprofit health insurance companies, like Kaiser Permanente or Blue Cross/Blue Shield

Or Health Partners here in MN. I hear their CEO took home several 10s of millions the other year because where else is the money going to go, right?!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm going to need constant updates about Booghazi.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I'm going to need constant updates about Booghazi.
I'm actually willing to accept "boogergate" in this case.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Phoenixan posted:

I'm actually willing to accept "boogergate" in this case.

Mmmmm, no one's lied about it yet. I think.

Yet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Kasich is the only candidate who could probably beat Hillary straight up but the problem for the GOP is that because its so late in the primary process the only way he could get the nomination is through a brokered convention, which would tear the party apart and likely cause Trump to go independent meaning that the Democrats probably win 45 states. So basically the situation is amazing.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Cocks Cable posted:

Please god let this go viral and be Ted Cruz's "Dean Scream" moment. I couldn't think of a more fitting end to this waste of human flesh.

It's hardly a waste, the human skin wrapping is very important to make sure all the spiders and hornets don't spill out.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kasich is the only candidate who could probably beat Hillary straight up but the problem for the GOP is that because its so late in the primary process the only way he could get the nomination is through a brokered convention, which would tear the party apart and likely cause Trump to go independent meaning that the Democrats probably win 45 states. So basically the situation is amazing.

Kasich would end up losing many women voters when his actual extremism on women's rights is given any cursory scrutiny. His "gosh golly gee shucks, guys, I just want to gently caress everyone in the rear end in a top hat with a strapon railway spike why is everyone else so unreasonable" schtick is tissue-thin.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

eviltastic posted:

It's hardly a waste, the human skin wrapping is very important to make sure all the spiders and hornets don't spill out.

Hey! The Oogie-Boogie Man is far less grotesquely horrifying than Ted Cruz.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neeksy posted:

Kasich would end up losing many women voters when his actual extremism on women's rights is given any cursory scrutiny. His "gosh golly gee shucks, guys, I just want to gently caress everyone in the rear end in a top hat with a strapon railway spike why is everyone else so unreasonable" schtick is tissue-thin.

Actually, Kasich is solidly anti-butt stuff:

quote:

While guest-hosting The O’Reilly Factor following the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas case that declared a Texas anti-sodomy law to be unconstitutional, Kasich said, “I don’t think it’s just a privacy issue. I think it’s going to have a profound impact on our culture… And frankly, I think a lot of people have missed the boat on this. This is going to open up a big debate with huge, cultural ramifications… I personally didn’t like the ruling.”

As in, he preferred when it was illegal.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Epic High Five posted:

The pertinent thing here is that insulin and epinephrine are inexpensive and plentiful, yet thanks to modern American healthcare it is literally impossible to get a script for them filled for less than $250. Generics simply are not on the market, and while the drugs themselves have had their patents expire (except for novel new insulin formulations that just replicate what older types do), their delivery systems can continue to be changed and re-patented so there is never a non-branded option available. More on insulin here: http://www.science20.com/news_articles/where_is_the_generic_version_of_insulin-154121

EpiPen is like pretty much every single male sexual health or hormone treatment you can imagine - it ain't covered by 99.99% of plans. Period. Your only choice is branded for $250 a pop or die because your throat closed up thanks to some peanuts that contaminated your lunch.

TamiFlu is like this as well. Nobody covers it because it's a QoL thing so if you want to be sick for only 3 days as opposed to 10-14 then that'll be $125 plus the $20-80 for the office visit

I was a pharm tech for years and drug prices/companies are ridiculous

Pages ago but I feel like this is a kind of means of production that could be seized. How hard is it to make from scratch or from what's public domain?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Epic High Five posted:

Bet you fuckin' foreigners thought we were crazy before huh?

We've got nukes

THOUSANDS of'em

And this guy may get the keys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9M34DzAKo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think that the GOP's seething hatred of Hillary far outweighs the establishment hatred of Trump. They will rally behind Trump in the end only because they'll want to see Hillary lose that badly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vorebane posted:

Pages ago but I feel like this is a kind of means of production that could be seized. How hard is it to make from scratch or from what's public domain?

Good luck, if you push for change you have a lot of the most powerful lobbies on your rear end AND every conservative+liberal who fears change backing them up. I can't speak for insulin but at this point it's probably not that difficult to produce. Epinephrine is about a dollar a dose wholesale.

Patent law is super convoluted and lacking in precedent in these cases. Standard practice is for companies to file for any old pie in the sky reason to get a de facto extension while it's appealed. Another fun one is buying out generic manufacturers and selling branded under the generic name, especially for drugs that are very rarely or poorly covered.

Know somebody who suffers from narcolepsy? Are they bitching about the cost of medicine a lot? The most common drug to treat this went off patent in 2002 (modafinil), but around the same time Cephalon (producer of the branded) filed for a patent extension. Sensing that they'd be dumping money into a product that they wouldn't be able to sell for years and years, generic manufacturers backed off. Sensing that the appeal would be denied, Cephalon struck a deal with a generic manufacturer to sell the branded pills under their own name. A few companies do this. If you get a generic that looks exactly like the brand you used to take, that's probably because it is. Net savings doing things this way? About $10 off of a $250/month drug if you have bad or no insurance.

Around this time, "shift work disorder" became a buzzword and modafinil was the advertised treatment for it. WELL GUESS WHAT THAT MEANS! SWD is absolutely not a covered condition, so now if you're prescribed modafinil you have to go through a lengthy prior authorization process to get it covered, and you have to do this every quarter to yearly. By the time I left pharmacy, it was super common for people with insurance to be paying $80-120 a month for narcolepsy drugs. The kicker? It's illegal for many of them to drive without them, and in Indianapolis if you can't drive you can't do poo poo.

All this for a drug that can be ordered from India or Canada (albeit illegally, as it is a scheduled drug) for about $0.50 for a day's supply after shipping.

There's a hundred other stories like this, but this is just my POV as a tech and the things I saw in a suburban retail pharmacy. It's a pretty lovely system. It was probably hourly that I saw someone on a fixed income spend $200+ on insulin for the month

Sorry this ran a little long and this isn't even all the dumb details of this particular drug. The state of drug pricing and pharmacy costs in the US is a deep, deep well of despair

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Star Man posted:

I think that the GOP's seething hatred of Hillary far outweighs the establishment hatred of Trump. They will rally behind Trump in the end only because they'll want to see Hillary lose that badly.

Good thing then that they are giving all the ammunition the Clinton campaign could possibly want. Romney calling Trump a dangerous con man and Romney wearing a MAGA hat at the convention in one 30 second ad.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

vorebane posted:

I'm one of those lovely D&D people that works for the industry in question but pharmaceutical manufacturing goes from easy rear end organic chemistry to complex as gently caress immunotherapy really quick. Aspirin has 40 atoms and can be made by a high school student, but most modern immunotherapies and biologics have about 40-60 thousand and require extremely complex manufacturing facilities. You'd have an easier time nationalizing oil and gas.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

LOL Ted Cruz. Yeah, people working 3-4 jobs are only working 29-30 hours a week because their hours have been cut due to the Sinister Dark Lord of Socialism Obama.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm glad Ted Cruz got caught eating a booger live on TV

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'm one of those lovely D&D people that works for the industry in question but pharmaceutical manufacturing goes from easy rear end organic chemistry to complex as gently caress immunotherapy really quick. Aspirin has 40 atoms and can be made by a high school student, but most modern immunotherapies and biologics have about 40-60 thousand and require extremely complex manufacturing facilities. You'd have an easier time nationalizing oil and gas.

What about just epipen and insulin? Looking at wikipedia insulin looks pretty twisty. I may be a dumb canuck but I feel this could be kickstarterable.

edit:

That's depressing I don't know how good you'd need to be at everything to make it work then.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 4, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

KiteAuraan posted:

LOL Ted Cruz. Yeah, people working 3-4 jobs are only working 29-30 hours a week because their hours have been cut due to the Sinister Dark Lord of Socialism Obama.

It was late Friday afternoon when the door chimes rang at Sudz Discount Dry Cleaning. The girl manning the counter looked up from her iPhone, only to be surprised by the stern face of the 44th President of the United States. She jumped to attention.

"C... Can I help you?"

Obama shook his head, his eyebrows deeply furrowed. "I need to see your manager. Now."

"Yes, of course, sir!" The girl scurried to the back of the store and soon returned with an elderly man.

The man adjusted his bifocals and studied the new customer. "What's all this then? President Obama? You wanted to see me?"

Obama looked the man up and down and nodded. "Yes. Please. I need to speak with you in your office."

"Well then, follow me."

The old man beckoned to the first Kenyan-American president and led him back to a small room just inside the rear of the store. Gesturing to a seat in front of a small desk in the dimly-lit room, the job creator took his normal seat behind the desk. President Obama remained standing.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. You're going to have to cut Nina's hours."

"What? But why? She's one of my best employees! I can't do that to her!"

Obama just shook his head. "I don't think you quite understand me." The former community organizer reached into his jacket, pulled out a handgun and leveled it at the man. "Let me be clear. I'm not asking whether you could. I'm telling you to. The Affordable Care Act... I mean, Obamacare, demands a sacrifice. Now open your schedule."

The man sat frozen for a few moments, unsure what to do. "I... But..."

Obama cocked his gun and squatted next to the man, placing it against the man's temple. "Open it. Now."

Shaking with fear but with no options left to him, the man slowly grabbed his mouse and opened up the scheduling software on the old computer that sat on his desk.

"Now. Set Nina to be scheduled for 29 hours next week."

The man did so.

"Good. Now you better keep it that way, or I will be back. And you don't want me coming back. You hear?"

The small business owner gulped and nodded. "Yes, sir."

Obama holstered his gun in his inside breast pocket and stood up. "Thank you for cooperating. It would have been quite unfortunate had I been forced to lay her off due to your intransigence."

He brushed his shoulder and made to leave.

"Wait! Why are you doing this to me? I voted for you!"

Obama stopped just short of the door and turned to look back at the man with a smirk. "If you think this is bad, you don't even want to know what Hillary Clinton has planned." With that, the President chuckled and closed the door behind him.

Passing by the front counter on his way out the door, he flipped a quarter to Nina. "Please, give your boss my regards. And you can keep the hope and change. You're gonna need it."

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

vorebane posted:

What about just epipen and insulin? Looking at wikipedia insulin looks pretty twisty. I may be a dumb canuck but I feel this could be kickstarterable.

Eh my research advisor is from BC, you guys are cool. The human body is a lot more complex than we think it is, and shotgunning hormones into it can work, but we can do a lot better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fade5 posted:

Injured/dead: all the non-Trump supporters and/or those not willing to back Trump.

Reince Preibus's body put on display ISIL-style as a warning to the Establishment.

Is this a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is this a bad thing?

Depends how hyped you were about the Night of the Long Knives.

• Locked thread