Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a game marketed to thirsty otakus that didn't come out on the Vita.

*3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
A console exclusive JRPG is always going to have a really hard time in Japan but I thought all the Idol stuff was meant to attract people. Ah well.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I liked the Paper Mario that came after TTYD even though it was different

Sticker Star was just a poo poo game

This, but I'll remain cautiously curious towards Color Splash since there were no stickers plastered all over the areas and we've barely seen anything about it to make any type of judgements about the gameplay.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a game marketed to thirsty otakus that didn't come out on the Vita.

Ah

I didn't know the wii u was unpopular in japan too. I figured persona was a popular enough series that #FE might have sold somewhat similar numbers.

Is the game actually any good?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah

I didn't know the wii u was unpopular in japan too. I figured persona was a popular enough series that #FE might have sold somewhat similar numbers.

No console is doing great in Japan, which is why so many games, including Persona 5, are still crossgen PS3/4, with the PS4 versions made mainly for the west. Persona is Atlus' most popular series, but there's a reason they typically only release on whatever platform is most popular in Japan at the time (ex. Most of their original Gen 7 titles were on PS3 and DS, then PS3/4 and 3DS).

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 4, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty excited to play #FE by myself alone and never ever near any other human being.

but for serious i want to play it i want to get elbows deep in those mechanics, those sweet sweet Atlus mechanics

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

don't feel shame to game

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want to know more about if the gameplay is any good, so i probably won't buy it asap. still really disappointed that the otaku guy isn't a party member though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i want to know more about if the gameplay is any good, so i probably won't buy it asap. still really disappointed that the otaku guy isn't a party member though.

he gets to participate in a special attack, at least.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

i will judge the merits of this paper mario game solely on whether or not it has a character i can use in every room and screen transition for a unique bit of flavor text in each one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tengames posted:

i will judge the merits of this paper mario game solely on whether or not it has a character i can use in every room and screen transition for a unique bit of flavor text in each one.

Yeah gimme another Goombella.

gently caress just bring back Goombella. She could be like an Indiana Jones of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

gently caress just bring back Goombella. She could be like an Indiana Jones of the Mushroom Kingdom.

We already had Kolorado

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sticker Star 2

I'm actually upset.

absolutely anything posted:

paper mario fans are broke brain psychos and anything that makes them upset is good by me

I'm going to buy it and love it

Uncle Grippy, way to making Slippy Toad's name sound less stupid.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they didn't always use to call him uncle grippy

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Don't be dippy, get a Grippy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting drippy

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm getting drippy

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

smell this posted:

they didn't always use to call him uncle grippy

Back in college they use to call him Uncle Trippy.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

A new Paper Mario?!?!

NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANTED NO NO MONKEY'S PAW MONKEY'S PAAAAAAAAWWWWW

...nah just kidding this is cool and rad.
I like the style this game has going on. Diorama is the way to go, let's see how it looks in future trailers. And THIS JUST IN: Sticker Star was a game full of incredibly good design, but also filled with incredibly unrefined ideas and straight-up boneheaded decisions. If this really does pick up the same ideas as Sticker Star, maybe they'll actually improve on a lot of things: make the battle system not downright broken, remove the retarded "puzzle" boss fights, allow more tactics besides very moderate resource management, make timing elements are more integral part of the system, make battles in general worthwhile... Believe it or not, I think the concept of having every action be consumable items that you find/buy could turn out to be a very cool system, IF it gets reworked. The levels themselves were top-tier, much better than the flattened areas of TTYD and Super Paper Mario, with lots of little things and perspective tricks and puzzles and charming details. Honestly, they could go full puzzle-adventure platformer with this and I'd be cool with it. I was never that terribly attached to the original Paper Mario's battle system. Also, while some of the associated puzzles were rather obtuse, I love the Things and they were hilarious. :colbert:

Now for the boneheaded decisions.
GIVE ME ORIGINAL CHARACTERS. This series THRIVES on whacky NPCs! And let Bowser talk! And bring back Kammy Koopa! Aaaaargh. I don't necessarily need partners, but some kind of commenting feature like Goombella would be incredible, especially in combination with cool NPCs. I don't care THAT much about the usual Mario world themes, but given how this is clearly in the same vein as Sticker Star, maybe they'll shy away from using the exact same themes, at least. Seriously, I'll play anything as long as I get that TTYD charme again. It's me, I'm the broken Paper Mario fan who just wants to BELIEVE.
I mean, get this: what if the floating bucket thing isn't your standard guide fairy thing, but actually one of several painting-themed partners? Eh? Eh? Eeeeeeeehhhhhh?!

I want to believe. :(

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I can't loving believe that, for free, they are making GOTY Super Mario Maker even better. The key is so awesome! And the red coins! I can't believe how many more options these open up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Checkpoints and forced bosses were the top two things that players were trying to implement, and they've now taken care of both (and then some). I'm really glad they've been so attentive and receptive to what players want to do with their levels.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cdNgezswM
watch to end

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, whats the big issue with Paper Mario now? Is it because its just sunshine but with color hammers?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Crabtree posted:

Wait, whats the big issue with Paper Mario now? Is it because its just sunshine but with color hammers?

Your attacks are now consumable items, there's no exp or anything of the sort.
So you get in a battle and use up your "mega damage jump" sticker and all you get for the fight is like... 5-6 coins so you can walk all the way back to town and rebuy the sticker. Battles with enemies were actively pointless and it was best to just avoid everything to get to the bosses.

The bosses themselves all require "thing" stickers (like the fan) that take up a poo poo ton of room in your inventory. When you face a boss you usually won't know what's effective on it until you encounter it so the game let's you run away from them, go fetch the Thing and usually one shot the boss or make it so it can't even hurt you anymore. If you use the Thing early you have to go all the way back to Toad Town and buy it again or go back and find it in the wild and take it to Toad Town anyway to turn it into a sticker. It's bad.

Also they removed every single original character from it, muted Bowser, cut partners, and just filled everything with Toads and nothing else. No pirate Bob-ombs, Koopa's with triangle shades, anything.

The only real plus is the music and some setpieces were really good.

This new game looks to be the exact same down to the limited attacks and the shop in the main hub area that sells them to you. Also judging by the fact that there's no Toadsworth and just a generic red toad in the intro is kind of hinting that there isn't going to be anything original here character wise either outside that paint bucket thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 4, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also they removed every single original character from it, muted Bowser, and just filled everything with Toads and nothing else. No pirate Bob-ombs, Koopa's with triangle shades, anything.
this is the biggest problem, even though the other stuff is really big too

paper mario as a series rides on its strong characters but at some point they decided to cut all them out and just replace them with toads. it sucks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Am I being a bad person if I feel glad that #FE bombed in Japan due to them loving up the setting so badly when crossing the two franchises over?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well good thing that there is hopefully a Mario and Luigi X Paper Mario game that could get away from that or success could show people want this style of game over Sticker Star. Or will that too have consumable attacks?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Mario & Luigi x Paper Mario game is already out and it has traditional RPG-ith-timed-hits combat but it also does the "generic SMB characters/settings" thing to a degree.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I being a bad person if I feel glad that #FE bombed in Japan due to them loving up the setting so badly when crossing the two franchises over?

Yes. #FE is going to be awesome. Awesome, I say!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes because it looks fun and I'm going to buy it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

#FE and Picross 3D II were all I wanted out of this Direct and I got one of them. I'll buy all the dumb games there are on this system.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
when can i preorder sharpfe on amazon.com

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Louisgod posted:

Don't sign your posts.
Point on the Amiibo where jivjov touched you

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AfroGunsou posted:

when can i preorder sharpfe on amazon.com

It's not up yet. I've been periodically checking.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah

It's not really unpopular in Japan. Japan is the one country where the WiiU has a higher total sales than the PS4. It's just that over there consoles are out of favor and everything is either handheld or even more likely mobile. People aren't wrong saying it woulda sold a poo poo ton more if it was on the 3DS.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Super Mario maker ! What else is on the horizon I wonder. It's still my all time favourite Mario game and platformer but what else could be in store.

And the extras are free!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U has been selling relatively okay in Japan on the back of Splatoon and Mario Maker but that doesn't mean those people are buying anything but the big Nintendo tentpoles or that anyone can just drop a weird niche game on there and expect fans to flock to it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
What is there to look forward on it that have a guaranteed 2-4 month scheduled release anyway?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

Super Mario maker ! What else is on the horizon I wonder. It's still my all time favourite Mario game and platformer but what else could be in store.

And the extras are free!!!

What happened to your DK avatar? I slaved away over a hot copy of Photoshop for all of five minutes to make it, you know! :colbert:

Commissar Ken posted:

It's not really unpopular in Japan. Japan is the one country where the WiiU has a higher total sales than the PS4. It's just that over there consoles are out of favor and everything is either handheld or even more likely mobile. People aren't wrong saying it woulda sold a poo poo ton more if it was on the 3DS.

Home consoles are pretty fat bastards nowadays, and I think part of what's happening to them in Japan is the same reason why PC's never got a foothold until the rise of laptops - they can just buy a tablet/smartphone or laptop that plays games and eats up a fraction of the space now that Japanese studios are making PC versions. Part of why the WiiU probably does well, Mario aside, is because it's about 2/3'rds the width of a PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just can't believe that console size is THAT big of a deal in Japan. When we're talking about literal inches. I've seen tiny Japanese apartments. They aren't THAT tiny.

• Locked thread