Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

EoRaptor posted:

That should actually be okay with this game. Don't run anything but the game and mumble, even with 16GB and an i7, I find firefox makes the game stutter like crazy. No idea why.

What video card do you have? AMD cards don't do as well as nVidia, because crytek.

2GB GT540. I dunno. It seems like it should be alright but my computer just really does not like this poo poo at all any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I'm just going to sit here running the game with an E8400, 4GB, an AMD card, and twenty tabs of firefox. I'm always the last to load in, but I have no idea how you guys are getting frame rate issues.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Orv posted:

The Hunch IIC is a real goddamn monster and no-one pays attention to it yet, it's beautiful.

Gotta grab the IIC to complete my hunchback collection. I wanna dual gauss it bad, but I may replace the UAC20 with straight up AC20 instead. Not a fan of the Clan UACs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stringbean posted:

Gotta grab the IIC to complete my hunchback collection. I wanna dual gauss it bad, but I may replace the UAC20 with straight up AC20 instead. Not a fan of the Clan UACs

Unless you mean LB20-X, the clan AC/20 is worse than the UAC/20. Same stream of pellets, but a slower rate of fire.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Unless you mean LB20-X, the clan AC/20 is worse than the UAC/20. Same stream of pellets, but a slower rate of fire.

I didnt even know that was the case. What kind of crazy bullshit is that. Yeah, guess I'll have to go with dual shotguns :| (or Gauss)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Stringbean posted:

I didnt even know that was the case. What kind of crazy bullshit is that. Yeah, guess I'll have to go with dual shotguns :| (or Gauss)

Dual gauss is very viable and a lot of fun on the IIC. Never let them open your side torsos or it's game over

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm running 2 C-UAC/10s on the IIC and all I need is two seconds alone in a dark alley with another mech and it's all over.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

A.o.D. posted:

Holy poo poo. The C-UAC/20s are better in pretty much every way you could imagine except that they take 1 extra heat to fire. And even if it jams the cooldown isn't much longer than the C-AC/20's regular cooldown.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I was looking over the Phoenix Hawk stuff to see if they had a robot with both ECM and a cbill bonus. I couldn't find one. Did I miss it, or is there no Phoenix thing that has both?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lonjon posted:

I was looking over the Phoenix Hawk stuff to see if they had a robot with both ECM and a cbill bonus. I couldn't find one. Did I miss it, or is there no Phoenix thing that has both?

I think the only robots with a cbill bonus and ECM are the invasion hellbringer or shdowcat

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Washout posted:

I think the only robots with a cbill bonus and ECM are the invasion hellbringer or shdowcat

Cheetah Prime (I) its a CBill printing machine

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I picked up the Hunchback IIC, planning to do the dual gauss thing and I just seem to do a terrible amount of damage. Is that expected for dual gauss builds, because your damage is so precise?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I have the Cheetah Prime I, and it is an excellent ECM money maker. I was thinking of getting a Phoenix Squawk if it had both ECM and a CBill bonus to it, but if that's not an option I'll just save my money for beer instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I picked up the Hunchback IIC, planning to do the dual gauss thing and I just seem to do a terrible amount of damage. Is that expected for dual gauss builds, because your damage is so precise?

Yeah your contributions to a match as a dual gauss since the nerfs will not be particularly well tracked by the game. You open CTs and take off arms/STs while other people horn in your kills.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xyretire posted:

2GB GT540. I dunno. It seems like it should be alright but my computer just really does not like this poo poo at all any more.

Your video card is poo poo I'm afraid. Get a better one and you'll be fine: doesn't even need to be a good one, mwo isn't demanding in the gfx side. The i5 and the RAM are both fine.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Gauss DPS is also some of the worst in the game even if you're frame perfect on starting and releasing your charges. On the other hand, 15 damage to a single component is worth more than more damage spread all over the place.

Edit:

sebmojo posted:

Your video card is poo poo I'm afraid. Get a better one and you'll be fine: doesn't even need to be a good one, mwo isn't demanding in the gfx side. The i5 and the RAM are both fine.

I've been afraid of this being the case. Oh well. Dropping my resolution a whole bunch makes the game look absolutely awful but it's doubled my FPS so I'll stick with it for now.

Xyretire fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 4, 2016

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

WarLocke posted:

The answer to this is always yes

Did anyone take video of the totem pole stack thing? That was the first that came to mind.

Or Dragon Bowling with Paul(?)

Also there was the night we held Pon Farr on our Kerensky alts, with someone humming the music over comms while we fought 1v1 honoure duels. That was p. stupid

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Dragon rescale

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/705543111632515072

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rape Stink posted:

Also there was the night we held Pon Farr on our Kerensky alts, with someone humming the music over comms while we fought 1v1 honoure duels. That was p. stupid

Speaking of dumb old Kerensky alts that we only used the bad old trials on. Mine needs a new name.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

It's because the refire rate is 5 seconds + charge time, gauss just does bad damage. The whole reason gauss vomit works is because it's an auxiliary weapon that you can keep shooting even when you are at max heat. In fact it's so good at doing this job that they had to nerf the hell out of it.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 4, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

How would turning a dual gauss into a gauss+20 build work out?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

How would turning a dual gauss into a gauss+20 build work out?

Badly

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/eioudi/status/705591620679249921

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Yeah I mean the trade off with dual gauss is that your damage is capped at 30 per volley and it takes a while to recharge. It's all very fast pinpoint though, so you're mostly dealing that damage to a single component, which is really valuable. Combine that with the fact that you don't have lasers leading back to your position and you can pick off components very effectively. God help any light you catch standing still as wel

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah I mean the trade off with dual gauss is that your damage is capped at 30 per volley and it takes a while to recharge. It's all very fast pinpoint though, so you're mostly dealing that damage to a single component, which is really valuable. Combine that with the fact that you don't have lasers leading back to your position and you can pick off components very effectively. God help any light you catch standing still as wel

Someday they will introduce a dual gauss ECM mech and the game will just be over.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Talmonis posted:

If you can get 5 or 6 MPL with ECM and JJ's and go faster than 100kph? That's a straight badass.

I'm on my phone and don't have my theory links handy but iirc you can do 6mpl with ECM, 2xJJ, and an XL 295 and go 102 or so? It'll run hot.

You can also go 6ml with an xl355 and less DHS with ECM and 2xJJ and go like 124ish before speed tweak.

Edit: Also the IS will have an ECM +30% Cbill mech in two weeks, the Archer hero.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Of course Russ loves to play one of the shittiest mechs in the game.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Raged posted:

Of course Russ loves to play one of the shittiest mechs in the game.

And so did we when its mass was set to 100 tons (:pgi:), and you could run around in circles on top of everything but an Atlas and knock them down forever.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Just started playing this game recently, and after playing with a couple Jenners and Ravens in CW I actually started enjoying the game. Would love to join WOL since I am more into IS mechs it seems. What is the mumble info? IGN is darthzeta.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unhappy Meal posted:

And so did we when its mass was set to 100 tons (:pgi:), and you could run around in circles on top of everything but an Atlas and knock them down forever.

RIP dragon bowling. We will never forget you. :smith:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Knockdowns were awful and I'm glad they're gone :colbert:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
3erll fast engine and ecm on the penix hawk is the first thing that comes to mind

e: basically a bigger raven sniper, it really depends on the locations of the hardpoints though, I haven't really given it a look.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 4, 2016

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I am going to own bones in a 6mpl penishawk. Well, depending on how hard they nerf it the week before it goes up for cbills that is

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

They're making the Grasshopper, one of the tallest mechs in the game and taller than assaults like the banshee, bigger. I don't know how the gently caress the Grasshopper is considered too small in their scaling system. They're making the Zeus bigger and that mech definitely needs to be made even shittier.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Xyretire posted:

Holy poo poo. The C-UAC/20s are better in pretty much every way you could imagine except that they take 1 extra heat to fire. And even if it jams the cooldown isn't much longer than the C-AC/20's regular cooldown.

Until you jam on first shot 3 times in a row and have fired thrice in ten seconds or so, but yes overall regular AC are just for hipsters.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Sputty posted:

They're making the Grasshopper, one of the tallest mechs in the game and taller than assaults like the banshee, bigger. I don't know how the gently caress the Grasshopper is considered too small in their scaling system. They're making the Zeus bigger and that mech definitely needs to be made even shittier.

Leftmost is a banshee, center is a grasshopper. Clearly something interesting is being smoked at PGI.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok, dumb question. There are no TACs in MWO right????

Only ask because I had 3 TBRs blown up by the first hit they took from the same guy who was at least 800m away in CW. I'm talking unscratched to dead with my armor on the paperdoll showing everything intact on the first 2 deaths only the last death showed both side torso blown out from one salvo.. No other enemies around. I wasn't even in the same spot on the map those 3 times and i was going full speed. I have had a few deaths that were bullshit but this is some next level poo poo.

Edit: Why the heck doesn't MWO use Fairfight which some pretty drat good cheat detection.

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 4, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

vorebane posted:

Leftmost is a banshee, center is a grasshopper. Clearly something interesting is being smoked at PGI.

Man, you should know that plastech garbage was not to scale.

But you are right that the grasshopper is too large.

Washout posted:

Someday they will introduce a dual gauss ECM mech and the game will just be over.

You can do that RIGHT NOW with a Hellbringer.

Granted, you've got to shave off armor for ammo, but you can do it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sputty posted:

Volumetric scaling is dumb because `Mechs are fairly hollow anyway. :psyduck:

All it takes to make one smaller is a designer going "Hey, let's put a little less empty air in the torso!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Sputty posted:

That's got to be bullshit. If they were that braindead they'd be unable to type the news

• Locked thread