Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I hate that loving dude: "let's see how you're doing!" and then you look over his shoulder and he's got this loving set up and all that poo poo. Meanwhile I'm mashing my testicles against the screen and he says I'm doing a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

Just want to let you all know that I have successfully completed the Annual Cyber Awareness Training for the fourth time in the past year.

Sir we needed you to finish the cyber security fundamentals course, not the cyber awareness challenge.

(Also if you wanna skip the dumb video game, go to the goddamn URL and change all the FALSE tags to TRUE. This will take you directly to the final test.)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
which is the one that tells you to ask for a very specific hotel room location due to terrorists? I love that one because it implies that anything about your average soldier is remotely interesting enough to behave like some paranoid maniac

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I don't think I've ever been able to choose the location of a hotel room anyways.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

which is the one that tells you to ask for a very specific hotel room location due to terrorists? I love that one because it implies that anything about your average soldier is remotely interesting enough to behave like some paranoid maniac

AT Level I.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

I don't think I've ever been able to choose the location of a hotel room anyways.

right, exactly, you're supposed to demand it because of terrorists

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Can you not just use the certificates from the first time as long as they're from within a year or some poo poo? I've been using all the certificates from poo poo I did in OCS and it saved a lot of time retaking online training when I got to ABOLC and ARC.

The traffic safety one is the worst. Wouldn't be so bad if you could just answer all the common sense questions instead of having to sit through most of the videos before it lets you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mustang posted:

Can you not just use the certificates from the first time as long as they're from within a year or some poo poo? I've been using all the certificates from poo poo I did in OCS and it saved a lot of time retaking online training when I got to ABOLC and ARC.

The traffic safety one is the worst. Wouldn't be so bad if you could just answer all the common sense questions instead of having to sit through most of the videos before it lets you.

for some reason every unit I was in liked to try to get everyones on some certain date because then they all expire at once I guess

edit; and then the next year the site for whatever class is down but thats no excuse so its a huge emergency

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 4, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

The pre mob sites tend to want the cert to be fresh, because of retarded reasons.

The worst is CRM which is valid for 20 years. Needs to be redone every goddamn year.

We are a signal unit that all tested and mostly certified in Security + (SY0-401) and they want silly poo poo like IA and CSF. What's REALLY stupid is almost every annual cert training is included in SSDs. gently caress the goddamn people that keep trying to make bullets in their evaluations by creating more pointless training instead of just making them a simple evaluation.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

For all the money spent on website infrastructure, they really just need to make a one pager on either installation or AKO that links directly to all 350-1 training and shows whether it is annual/quarterly/pre or post deployment.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

For all the money spent on website infrastructure, they really just need to make a one pager on either installation or AKO that links directly to all 350-1 training and shows whether it is annual/quarterly/pre or post deployment.

Contractors have families to feed, duder.

I really think that's why all of our stuff is buggy as heck. It's guaranteeing some guy a paycheck to maintain/"fix".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No this is the Choose Your Own Adventure set in your vibrant office where you get to report your coworkers to the security manager for talking to you. And also some dude just straight up steals your cell phone while you're at lunch.

Although this was the JWICS edition, so it included an expansion pack specific to the joys of working in the IC.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mustang posted:

I literally photoshopped the dates on my certificates and kept turning those in rather than redo the online courses.

It's the principle of the thing, dammit!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Rat posted:

I literally photoshopped the dates on my certificates and kept turning those in rather than redo the online courses.

It's the principle of the thing, dammit!

Lol i showed my platoon how to do this in korea and wed just have an E4/E5 sit there for an hour and do everyones "training". To be fair during my 12 months there they wanted us to do redo the yearly training about 15 to 20 times, and would often make it cob criteria on fridays.

Edit: On the flip side of things I once had a 40 something year old SPC with 3 years time in service (2 of them as a medical holdover in AIT) who insisted on doing all of the training, as in, reading all of the slides, watching all of the videos, etc. and she would do them at work too, so it wasnt even like she was saying that to sham at her house. The same SPC went to the 1SG to file an EO complaint against me for comparing being enlisted to being a POW.

Ace of Baes fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 4, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

Lol i showed my platoon how to do this in korea and wed just have an E4/E5 sit there for an hour and do everyones "training". To be fair during my 12 months there they wanted us to do redo the yearly training about 15 to 20 times, and would often make it cob criteria on fridays.

That training can be completed in like 20 minutes for the entire unit if you just have someone give the PP brief.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ace of Baes posted:

I was that guy for my platoon. poo poo owned, because it was pretty much an excuse to go back to barracks room for at least a few hours every couple days and chill.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Employment drop packet got denied but my university drop packet got approved, who knows but its still 90 days early so whatever. July 7th I am finally out and off to the promised land. Thanks for the help earlier in the thread, just going to tell everyone at school that I was in prison for the last 7 years.

Also got an email from my student veterans association at George Washington U asking if I'd be interested in a position with them. Are these worth helping out and actually helping student veterans adjust, or should I just enjoy the free printer/scanners and a quiet place to study on campus?

Another question, but I am about to do my phase 2 physical and all that. Lovely Army medical made me infertile confirmed by tests due to an untreated vericosecele that I was repeatedly told was just a hernia or pulled muscle until it was finally treated when my junk swole up to the size of a grapefruit. What documentation should I be getting to make sure I can make any claims, because drat right I am making claims on that one. I have the three years of profiles and the permanent I am currently on, because running still feels like a midget is hanging from my sack, but should I be asking for copies of every TMC/outpatient interaction and such?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Hey army dudes, I'm ex-navy and have no idea about this stuff so forgive the dumb question.

What the diff between a bivvy/bivi/bivy sack and a sleeping bag? Just the fact it's weatherproof?

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Congrats on the drop packet man. If it's work study with your school and you want some extra cash, take it up; moreover, you could literally be just sitting at your vet lounge front desk working on your homework with the only responsibility being to bug people to sign in or answer their questions on if a counselor or certifier is present.

As for your medical, All I remember from clearing was being handed a two inch thick stack of paperwork when I cleared medical at my TMC, if your TMC medics/doctors weren't absolute failures it should all be logged and printed out for you when you clear medical. Any poo poo logged digitally overseas/offpost medical referred by the ARMY should also be handed to you along with the TMC records. I'm assuming you are a more recnt enlistee, so all your poo poo should be on MEDPROS for them to print out for you. If you got poo poo wrong with you be specific during your phase 2 interview, the rating you get from there isn't all that important compared to the one you'll be getting from the VA.

I may or may not be mixing up Phase 1 with 2, it's been a year and I've dumped all that. When you do get your paperwork, make copies and keep them in a lockbox/scan them and save em somewhere. I had to give the VA physical records due to some gently caress up with the waste that is Military/VA IT for an issue with my knee and it's saved my rear end.

Read the op in the Active Duty Resource thread, specifically the section {LT Kaffee Answers Your Legal FAQs (VA, MilJus, etc.)} and ask your question there as well to if anyone else will chime in. How old is too old to date an 18 year old? the student veterans lounge, is another decnt thread to ask in.

I hope your not on the Great place, TMC 3 1CD was awful.

It's just a water/wind proof nylon bag with no insulation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_Sleep_System
I'd knock out in it when it was too hot to sleep in the actual sleeping bags or didn't have the option of taking my gear/boots off. Also, gently caress morning dew.

TPSDude fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 4, 2016

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Will do, I appreciate it. No, I'm currently on a tiny base in Germany that only has a TMC-lite type thing, so just making sure I cover all my bases because my services from them have been rather lackluster, hence the wrecked testicles. I will definitely try to get a copy of everything they have though. Yeah that seems what the vets association was pitching, they just asked because they wanted someone older to help out and volunteer. No idea if its actually paid, but if they do actual helpful stuff for vets I wouldn't mind giving my time because I can't even imagine what I will do with all that free time soon.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

TPSDude posted:

I'd knock out in it when it was too hot to sleep in the actual sleeping bags or didn't have the option of taking my gear/boots off. Also, gently caress morning dew.

Cheers mate.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
For a lot of the online courses you could just change to URL to the final page and print out your certificate. AT lvl 1 was just like /certificate.htm or something similar. Way less effort than photoshop.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

For a lot of the online courses you could just change to URL to the final page and print out your certificate. AT lvl 1 was just like /certificate.htm or something similar. Way less effort than photoshop.

I was about to mention this. Typically I'd ask one of my coworkers to keep the "Congrats! You've done it!" page so I could copy the url and be done in like 3 minutes.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
In case anyone is curious, a 6 year initial enlistment is a great idea. You can be cynical to twice as many people.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I can't imagine how grumpy and depressed I would be if I was only half way done with my six year contract instead of mostly done with my four.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Aranan posted:

I can't imagine how grumpy and depressed I would be if I was only half way done with my six year contract instead of mostly done with my four.

You'd be fine by looking at people just reupping thanks to cognitive dissonance

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My friend had to sign a 6 year contract, granted he owes the Army money for getting kicked out of ROTC because he was an idiot when he was younger and made a bunch of bad decisions those couple years. As far as MOS's go, how good/bad is being a blackhawk mechanic?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You get a security clearance, you get a useful skill, hopefully your job isn't entirely taken by civilians and you get to practice it.

It sure as gently caress isn't combat arms, lucky for them.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I put a few kids in as 15T. It was an always an easy sell for me to push because I honestly thought it sounded like a cool job myself. It was seriously a job I wish I had thought more about when I first enlisted. No doubt it's full of dumb army poo poo like everything else, but it still seemed like it wasn't so bad all things considered.

Yeah the contract length with it was the real killer.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

I put a few kids in as 15T. It was an always an easy sell for me to push because I honestly thought it sounded like a cool job myself. It was seriously a job I wish I had thought more about when I first enlisted. No doubt it's full of dumb army poo poo like everything else, but it still seemed like it wasn't so bad all things considered.

Yeah the contract length with it was the real killer.

I worked in an aviation unit. I have to give the army a little respect for this: despite being terrible at most army stuff, aviation units nixed a lot of bullshittiness for anyone who worked on or in an aircraft. Almost like they knew the mechanics and pilots' job performance was life or death.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeris posted:

Almost like they knew the mechanics and pilots' job performance was life or death.

uhhm in my experience everything in the army is a matter of life or death, why else would we have itrips to submit for a four day pass in which you intend to stay at home (on base housing)

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Zeris posted:

I worked in an aviation unit. I have to give the army a little respect for this: despite being terrible at most army stuff, aviation units nixed a lot of bullshittiness for anyone who worked on or in an aircraft. Almost like they knew the mechanics and pilots' job performance was life or death.

Can confirm. Work for aviation unit, belong to infantry support unit. There is exponentially less faggotry in the flyer world.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Ptolemaeus posted:

Will do, I appreciate it. No, I'm currently on a tiny base in Germany that only has a TMC-lite type thing, so just making sure I cover all my bases because my services from them have been rather lackluster, hence the wrecked testicles. I will definitely try to get a copy of everything they have though. Yeah that seems what the vets association was pitching, they just asked because they wanted someone older to help out and volunteer. No idea if its actually paid, but if they do actual helpful stuff for vets I wouldn't mind giving my time because I can't even imagine what I will do with all that free time soon.

Sorry about your balls and gently caress that TMC. When I was stationed there I went to sick call for nausea and the PA dude held me there and kept asking me if I was faking until I threw up on his stupid non-slide shoes. Doesn't surprise me that they made someone impotent. If I was your Doc I would live in constant fear of waking up bound and gagged in your basement with a rubber band around my balls.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My favorite sick call experience was in AIT when everyone got put on lock down and I had to move back into the barracks. Shortly after, I got some weird patches of skin on my face so I went to get it checked out. They told me I had dry skin and gave me a bottle of lotion.

Two days later, on a weekend since sick call was closed, I went to the hospital because it had gotten worse and the real doc diagnosed me with impetigo, a skin infection common in third world countries and unwashed children (and also apparently AIT barracks).

On the plus side I had a no shave profile for two weeks as the whitest guy imaginable.

brains
May 12, 2004

not caring here posted:

You get a security clearance, you get a useful skill, hopefully your job isn't entirely taken by civilians and you get to practice it.

It sure as gently caress isn't combat arms, lucky for them.

pretty much this. 15T is recognized by the FAA as qualifying for prerequisite experience towards A&P certification, which is of course a major moneymaker on the outside.

avionics is another guaranteed moneymaker. fun fact, if you're an airframe repair or powerplant guy, you are only credited for the Airframe or Powerplant*, respectively, but if you're a 15T/15U (chinook repairer), you're eligible for both.

we make a big push in aviation to get all the mechanics FAA certifications, because it's such a valuable thing that you are automatically qualified for just by completing AIT and working a couple years. civilians, on the other hand, literally have to go to school for 2+ years just to be qualified enough to take the A&P exam, which is why A&Ps are in such high demand on the outside.

*you can still get both, you just have to prove you've actually worked in both areas, unlike the other MOS which is already accredited for both

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Cool, 15T seemed like a good fit for him since he has a lot of experience working on cars and enjoyed that kind of work. Sucks he's an old rear end PFC though but owing the Army money and not finishing his degree at least he was able to land a good MOS that will have benefits outside the Army.

He should be about to hit white phase in BCT. Wish he was going to BCT at Benning though so I could see him at his graduation before I head to JBLM.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I wish I was a 15T just to be able to be a door gunner. That was my dream job.

My worst sick call experience was when I had my compartment syndrome but it wasn't diagnosed yet. The doc, a loving dumbass Major, without asking me symptoms just said "you want a profile right? You got a PT Test or something? Here." And then left without actually looking at me.

Best Doc is the one ai have at pain management. A full bird who actually cares about soldiers. Without him, I wouldn't be getting out despite being pushed from clinic to clinic. Like I have some weird poo poo wih my legs. If I sit cross legged on the ground for 10 minutes or so my legs go numb. He cared enough to give me a spine stimulator trial for my constant pain, and told me we will put the real thin in after I get my ratings. Dude even fucki F called legal after I told him hat they said I would get my medboard yanked if I did the surgery. He explained some poo poo and they said after my ratings I could do it. Which is great because gently caress being on pain killers all the goddamn time. I take 4 tramadol, 3 Percocet and 2-3 muscle relaxers a day. On top of my antidepressant and Adderall. That doc has my undying respect. He actually sit and listened, and even though our appointment went 30 minutes over, I pointed it out and he said "They can wait, they'll be seen. I'll work late. I make sure that everyone gets seen and have the time they need to be seen." And after looking at my record and seeing I had been to pain management, pain psychology, orthopedics, physical therapy twice, had spinal injections, pulmonary clinic, and surgeries, he knew that there wasn't much else left to do. And he didn't wash his loving hands of me.

My chronic testicular pain is another issue. Whoever had that, good loving luck getti help for that. Literally only thing I got after a surgery was a "welp, we will just give you a permanent profile."

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Mustang posted:

My friend had to sign a 6 year contract, granted he owes the Army money for getting kicked out of ROTC because he was an idiot when he was younger and made a bunch of bad decisions those couple years. As far as MOS's go, how good/bad is being a blackhawk mechanic?

I was in an AHB (blackhawk aviation unit) for like 3 years and deployed with them, it was really chill compared to the other units Ive been in, theres still dumb army bullshit, but not nearly as much, you can also be a crew chief as a 15T, and if you get your A and P certification and a decent amount of flight hours you can snag a decent job on the outside. When it comes to MOSes Id say its one of the better ones to get.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Aranan posted:

My favorite sick call experience was in AIT when everyone got put on lock down and I had to move back into the barracks. Shortly after, I got some weird patches of skin on my face so I went to get it checked out. They told me I had dry skin and gave me a bottle of lotion.

Two days later, on a weekend since sick call was closed, I went to the hospital because it had gotten worse and the real doc diagnosed me with impetigo, a skin infection common in third world countries and unwashed children (and also apparently AIT barracks).

On the plus side I had a no shave profile for two weeks as the whitest guy imaginable.

since we tellin boot camp sick call stories, heres one for ya

training company moved back to mcrd from our month stay up at pendleton, and the only open building was the one housing mrp (sick/broken recruits) and pcp (fat/weak bodies). wasnt long after where an outbreak of vge swept thru every platoon, a couple platoons were even quarantined to their squadbays. if you dont know what vge is, its viral gastroenteritis, it makes you vomit and poo poo uncontrollably. somehow i managed to avoid catching it even though i was going to sick call with a bunch of vge dudes since i had caught bronchitis up north. i still remember going into the head of the one unused squadbay and seeing a toilet with a poo poo/vomit mountain rising above the bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
The Army, a toilet with a poo poo/vomit mountain rising above the bowl

thread title

• Locked thread