Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

razorrozar posted:

Hush and Ultra Greed both scale their HP to your attack power to prevent you getting a godly combination and taking them down quickly. They're supposed to take the same amount of punishment from you no matter how strong you are.

Good in theory, I guess, but not executed very well.

Yeah I know they scale their HP to the player's attack power. It's loving godawful because half the point of getting massive attack power is so you don't spend forever fighting one boss. What they REALLY needed to do was look at how enemy HP increases later in the game compared to the average attack power players have at their disposal at that point. Instead they just went with a quick and dirty solution that makes it always lovely rather than sometimes lovely like it used to be.

Inco posted:

That's not even good in theory. "This boss will take 400 hits to kill, regardless of how powerful the player is" is a terrible idea on its face.

But if you don't fight the boss forever, how can you appreciate all the work they put into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Having boss HP scale to your damage output is the worst idea I've heard in a really long goddamn time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Axiom Verge has been really awesome so far but what the fuuuuuuck is with the latest boss fight I got to?

Single tile tiny arena, boss weak point is where it shoots a death laser from, and it constantly spams homing projectiles in sets of four that you can't avoid unless you decide to write off your only chance of doing damage to the thing.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of mechanic I'm meant to be using here that wasn't explained well but this guy sucks so bad I might be done with the game for a while.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Having boss HP scale to your damage output is the worst idea I've heard in a really long goddamn time.

Especially because having a lot of attack power often means you don't have a lot of health.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

RyokoTK posted:

Hell, it kind of defeats the purpose of an RPG if you're having poo poo scale against the player's stats anyway. Like, the whole point is that you're supposed to be getting more powerful throughout the game, and if the player wants to trivialize a boss by grinding really hard, let him. If you don't want that to happen, stop slapping RPG elements on your games at all.

Sort of reminds me of when people complain about snowballing in MOBA's. Like, that's half the loving point. Remove the RPG element and it's not really a MOBA anymore. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially considering the community surrounding those games, but seriously.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dewgy posted:

Axiom Verge has been really awesome so far but what the fuuuuuuck is with the latest boss fight I got to?

Single tile tiny arena, boss weak point is where it shoots a death laser from, and it constantly spams homing projectiles in sets of four that you can't avoid unless you decide to write off your only chance of doing damage to the thing.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of mechanic I'm meant to be using here that wasn't explained well but this guy sucks so bad I might be done with the game for a while.

Axiom Verge is a game that starts off really great and just turns in to this huge pile of poo poo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kazil posted:

Axiom Verge is a game that starts off really great and just turns in to this huge pile of poo poo.

I basically just got to the big reveal YER A CLONE, 'ARRY, how much more is there to it? The drop in quality is... Kind of sharp here.

E: I was apparently right at the end. :haw:

Game's actually pretty good but there's a really sharp shift in boss fight strategy with the last two bosses that is kinda dumb. Jump/dodge/shoot gets replaced by be up all in their face and never stop teleporting to out-DPS them. I guess it kinda makes sense since you have tons of health but I can't imagine hard mode in this being any fun.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Mar 4, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RyokoTK posted:

The final boss of the original Silent Hill was set up so that he would only die when you ran out of ammo. In theory this meant that it would be a tense fight where your final bullet kills him, in execution you can dump all your ammo and then walk into the room and he dies immediately.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sleeveless posted:

The final boss of the original Silent Hill was set up so that he would only die when you ran out of ammo. In theory this meant that it would be a tense fight where your final bullet kills him, in execution you can dump all your ammo and then walk into the room and he dies immediately.

I feel like that's a bit different though, Silent Hill is more of a horror experience than a real shootmans game, and not one that really pretends to be challenging on repeat playthroughs. You're not going to know you can cheese it on your first playthrough.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once. Takes literally hours to beat. Granted, it's supposed to be the hardest optional boss in the game, but it's still pretty egregious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kay Kessler posted:

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once. Takes literally hours to beat. Granted, it's supposed to be the hardest optional boss in the game, but it's still pretty egregious.

I find it more acceptable for optional bosses. But the bullshit ones in Digimon are like, story bosses just smack in the middle of the game. My characters were almost at the level cap and some of the strongest available and were doing poo poo. So I had to return them to a previous, statistically weaker, form because the poo poo forms had better defense ignoring skills that let me cheese the bosses to death. I think it's a sign your game is badly made when someone is forced to resort to poo poo like that just to beat mandatory fights, or when the strongest things in the game are useless compared to the mid-game stuff because the system is so loving broken.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Two Worlds 2's final boss has damage that scales to your HP and you have to use siege equipment to fight it. If it didn't summon minions, you're stats would be irrelevant.

If you somehow got to be very high level it would actually be harder to fight because you're healing doesn't scale. However, to get to a level where that would really be an issue you'd probably need to use use cheats in which case you'd probably just put god mode on anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kay Kessler posted:

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once.

God drat, really? This happened when I was fighting him and I just assumed the game had glitched out or something because I'd ran back into the tunnel leading to the arena so I could heal. I'd already spent something like an hour watching my characters attack him on their own at that point, so I gave up and never finished the fight.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

razorrozar posted:

Hush and Ultra Greed both scale their HP to your attack power to prevent you getting a godly combination and taking them down quickly. They're supposed to take the same amount of punishment from you no matter how strong you are.

Good in theory, I guess, but not executed very well.

They both have Damage Resistence that scales based on how much damage they have taken in the last 3 seconds I think. So if you have an stupidly powerful combo and would oneshot Sheol, then your second attack has its damage reduced to 3.96. The best way I've found to deal with those bosses is to hit them for one second and take 3 seconds to just dodge. I think I killed Ultra Greed in 10 seconds before with moms knife and poly.

That being said, it's still a stupid mechanic.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

God drat, really? This happened when I was fighting him and I just assumed the game had glitched out or something because I'd ran back into the tunnel leading to the arena so I could heal. I'd already spent something like an hour watching my characters attack him on their own at that point, so I gave up and never finished the fight.

Also he was named after a director or something no one liked.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Are you kidding? Matsuno gets heaps of praise. The Thing was that he supposedly had a nervous breakdown from all the alleged executive meddling and stepped down in the middle of the project.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

His only healing move is Regen. He does, however, at a certain HP threshold throw out a reflectaga on your party, which, if you're casting Renew on your teammates, will bounce to him and fully heal him which is the usual point where someone would rage quit on this extremely pointless hunt.

The IZJS version lets you break the damage cap and reduce some of his stats so its "much" quicker for a relative amount of much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Are you kidding? Matsuno gets heaps of praise. The Thing was that he supposedly had a nervous breakdown from all the alleged executive meddling and stepped down in the middle of the project.

Okay maybe it was that everyone liked instead of that no one liked :shrug: I only read the wiki once to figure out how to beat the thing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Been playing through Metal Gear Solid 5 and I guess its supposed to be immersive but there's a lot of little bits of dead time where your sitting a helicopter, waiting for one to turn up, listening to briefings you don't care about after the mission etc. I can forgive a lot of big bad things about the game like the hour long cut scene/tutorial or the repeated missions because they clearly ran out of content more easily than the constant interruptions for staring into the middle distance or having to go back to motherbase for a cutscene and then going back into the field. The first few times it wasn't the worst but there's so much of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Bear in Metro Last Light either has sooooooooooooooooo much loving health or I'm not shooting it right because I'm getting seriously wrecked by the thing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Barudak posted:

His only healing move is Regen. He does, however, at a certain HP threshold throw out a reflectaga on your party, which, if you're casting Renew on your teammates, will bounce to him and fully heal him which is the usual point where someone would rage quit on this extremely pointless hunt.

The IZJS version lets you break the damage cap and reduce some of his stats so its "much" quicker for a relative amount of much.

Yeah Yiazmat has some particular rules for how it can heal itself. It's been a while since I played but IIRC if you leave the arena his HP will stay at where you brought it down to but if you move too far away from him on the same screen he'll automatically heal himself. And if you hang outside his attack range long enough he'll use a bunch of buffs ending with Regen which will keep healing him even if you leave the arena at that point. You're supposed to just constantly engage him only leaving the arena if you want to take a break from the tedious fight to save or do something else. The reflectaga thing is also why you want to avoid full-heal spells. Anything less than that is fine.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Or you can give your healer an Opal Ring (spells bypass Reflect):eng101:, but knowing FFXII marks Yiazmat has reflect and your Black Mage needs it. :eng99:

Not just :goonsay:, that last bit is thread content from me. Every second hunt has reflect, and unless you get one of those rings - either from the opaque Bazaar or luck dependent loot - you have no way of knowing you can get around it.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Mar 4, 2016

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

RareAcumen posted:

The Bear in Metro Last Light either has sooooooooooooooooo much loving health or I'm not shooting it right because I'm getting seriously wrecked by the thing.
The bear makes absolutely no sense to me, and I've beaten the game twice. I ran wide circles as the bear chased me while I dropped explosives, and that was the only way I could actually kill that boss. The other enemies are supposed to 'help' in that they occasionally attack the bear instead of you. Instead it's a coin flip and sometimes you'll get swarmed while the bear saunters up and destroys you. :(

Content: I ponied up and bought a new controller so I could play (among other games) Devil May Cry 4. I've played 1-3 so I'm familiar with fixed camera angles, but holy moley some of these angles have to be designed to gently caress the player over. My first boss fight with Angus featured me hitting a glass observation window for about ten minutes while I got shocked every round because the camera angle made it impossible to jump and land on the one 3-foot wide safe spot. The floor would electrify and take off 1/5 of my hp if I didn't start running at least 5 seconds before the electricity started flowing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

QuietLion posted:

The bear makes absolutely no sense to me, and I've beaten the game twice. I ran wide circles as the bear chased me while I dropped explosives, and that was the only way I could actually kill that boss. The other enemies are supposed to 'help' in that they occasionally attack the bear instead of you. Instead it's a coin flip and sometimes you'll get swarmed while the bear saunters up and destroys you. :(

The little runner guys distract it so you can shoot it in the back. I understood that and burned through a ton of ammo trying that.

What you're supposed to do is aim, not at the lower back where there seems to be lots of meat missing from its body and its spine is poking through, but up around its head- it's standing up on two legs when your opportunity arrives to actually damage it- between the shoulder blades. This is what they mean by shooting it in the back.

Why you can't just shoot either area and have that count is beyond me. Anyway, the answer was that I was doing it wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Related to that bear, saving it from the other monsters after you almost kill it being considered a good moral action was incredibly silly to me. Why is the bear more important than the other monsters?

The morality thing in metro last light dragged it down a bit for me. It was incredibly subtle in metro 2033, to the point where I played through the whole thing twice without even noticing it was there, because the game never points it out and you still have to choose a different ending rather than just having it handed to you. In last light, not only did I disagree with some of what it considered right or wrong decisions, but they make a dumb character follow you around for the last third of the game commenting that "you did good thing" or "you did bad thing." Last light had better gameplay than 2033 but it was way less subtle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuietLion posted:

Content: I ponied up and bought a new controller so I could play (among other games) Devil May Cry 4. I've played 1-3 so I'm familiar with fixed camera angles, but holy moley some of these angles have to be designed to gently caress the player over. My first boss fight with Angus featured me hitting a glass observation window for about ten minutes while I got shocked every round because the camera angle made it impossible to jump and land on the one 3-foot wide safe spot. The floor would electrify and take off 1/5 of my hp if I didn't start running at least 5 seconds before the electricity started flowing.

The center of the arena is completely safe from all electrical attacks and you can just stand there. Nero's buster (his grab, b on Microsoft layout, o on playstation layout) grabs the enemies that infinitely spawn and launches them at the window as a damaging projectile and if you're locked onto the enemy it'll stun them so they can't attack you. You can trounce the boss in less than a minute or so using nothing but jumps, double jumps, and the buster. Not defending the fight, I think its complete garbage, but it is relatively short and painless when you get what it wants you to do.

FFIX, you're a fun nice game but why aren't Tents a full heal? Also, why isn't there an item that actually is a full heal? Its the most minor of things but I don't understand why in a franchise where they understood from the literal first game, even if it was bugged, that players would like a one-stop source of healing if you give them the constituent parts decided to go backwards on this in the 9th installment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Game's actually pretty good but there's a really sharp shift in boss fight strategy with the last two bosses that is kinda dumb. Jump/dodge/shoot gets replaced by be up all in their face and never stop teleporting to out-DPS them. I guess it kinda makes sense since you have tons of health but I can't imagine hard mode in this being any fun.
Applies to regular enemies in the last two or three areas as well, particularly the flying machines.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Especially in a game like Binding of Isaac, which is all about the loving snowball builds. There's very little going on in that game's primary loop that isn't 'get as strong as you loving can and then hit the bosses as hard as you can and then win.'

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Somfin posted:

Especially in a game like Binding of Isaac, which is all about the loving snowball builds. There's very little going on in that game's primary loop that isn't 'get as strong as you loving can and then hit the bosses as hard as you can and then win.'

It always baffles me when a developer gets obsessed with trying to make the game work exactly the way they want it to instead of actually being fun when the game's a single player game.

See also: the non-creative side of Minecraft.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

It always baffles me when a developer gets obsessed with trying to make the game work exactly the way they want it to instead of actually being fun when the game's a single player game.

Terraria is really bad for this too. Several massive patches did nothing but nerf fun item combinations into the ground because they are Incorrect, to the point that some of the most popular mods are just undoing those changes.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BlueKingBar posted:

Wait. What happened with Minecraft?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Digirat posted:

Related to that bear, saving it from the other monsters after you almost kill it being considered a good moral action was incredibly silly to me. Why is the bear more important than the other monsters?

The morality thing in metro last light dragged it down a bit for me. It was incredibly subtle in metro 2033, to the point where I played through the whole thing twice without even noticing it was there, because the game never points it out and you still have to choose a different ending rather than just having it handed to you. In last light, not only did I disagree with some of what it considered right or wrong decisions, but they make a dumb character follow you around for the last third of the game commenting that "you did good thing" or "you did bad thing." Last light had better gameplay than 2033 but it was way less subtle.

It's not so much good and bad as it is some dumb poo poo about teaching the thing mercy or something so it takes pity on you and you can get the good ending. Doesn't make it better but here we are.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

HaB posted:

Wait. What happened with Minecraft?

Not any one big thing in particular, it's just that his balancing was "This task is too easy? Let's make it really loving tedious and annoying to make it harder to win the game." Like changing making a wheat farm from "use one bonemeal on each tile of wheat to grow it" to "use anywhere from 1-5 to grow it". Same poo poo with trees. Fun fact: people got really good at making wheat and tree farms because waiting 30 minutes to an hour in real life for a tree to loving grow is Not Fun.

Not to mention poo poo like the Nether (basically Hell) having literally no reason to go there aside from glowstone for like a year after it was released, being enormously annoying to get to. You needed at least 10 pieces of obsidian, which was created by pouring water over lava and then mining it. Mining around lava is dangerous as gently caress because you can fall in and lose your entire inventory (one of the few things that I guarantee will make anyone ragequit a single player game of all things), doubly so with water around to shove you in. Triply so because obsidian takes 15 seconds per block to mine and can only be mined with a diamond pickaxe. While a diamond pickaxe is great, diamonds are so rare that despite having 5x the number of durability (i.e. number of uses) that an iron one does, iron is so much more common and less risky to get and iron pickaxes literally do everything a diamond one does except for obsidian. Back off that tangent, you know what glowstone is good for? Lighting rooms without a torch. 4 of which can be made using one stick and a piece of coal. That's as easy to get as you would expect. Even when they added more resources to the Nether, it was too little too late and it still wasn't worth going to. Speaking of things Not Worth Going To, see the final boss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The latest update adding dual wielding and timing based fighting for some reason too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlueKingBar posted:

Not to mention poo poo like the Nether (basically Hell) having literally no reason to go there aside from glowstone for like a year after it was released, being enormously annoying to get to. You needed at least 10 pieces of obsidian, which was created by pouring water over lava and then mining it. Mining around lava is dangerous as gently caress because you can fall in and lose your entire inventory (one of the few things that I guarantee will make anyone ragequit a single player game of all things), doubly so with water around to shove you in. Triply so because obsidian takes 15 seconds per block to mine and can only be mined with a diamond pickaxe. While a diamond pickaxe is great, diamonds are so rare that despite having 5x the number of durability (i.e. number of uses) that an iron one does, iron is so much more common and less risky to get and iron pickaxes literally do everything a diamond one does except for obsidian.

Can't you gather lava in buckets and make moulds for the obsidian portal? Or did they change that? I know you used to be able to make the portals to the Nether without diamond equipment.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Randalor posted:

Can't you gather lava in buckets and make moulds for the obsidian portal? Or did they change that? I know you used to be able to make the portals to the Nether without diamond equipment.

Getting 10 buckets isn't much better, because that's 30 iron and 10 inventory slots when you have about 30 slots total.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Aphrodite posted:

The latest update adding dual wielding and timing based fighting for some reason too.

haha that sounds really cool. I mean Minecraft's combat was already really good and skillful and this is like some Dark Souls 2 style refinement of that. :jerkbag:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm a bit surprised that Minecraft doesn't already have Buy 25 Bonemeal for $0.99, actually.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like that's a bit different though, Silent Hill is more of a horror experience than a real shootmans game, and not one that really pretends to be challenging on repeat playthroughs. You're not going to know you can cheese it on your first playthrough.

On this point, the boss also died in a conventional way - I think it only took a box or two of rifle bullets to take them down.

The no bullets thing was added because if you're bad at survival horror/not very diligent in grabbing items. It would be dumb to have an incredibly challenging melee final boss when you're supposed to run away from 90% of the enemies anyway

Note: I agree scaling bosses/enemies are incredibly dumb and defeat the point of a leveling system in the first place. At that point just get rid of stat increases and just implement a perk system like fallout has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BlueKingBar posted:

Not any one big thing in particular, it's just that his balancing was "This task is too easy? Let's make it really loving tedious and annoying to make it harder to win the game." Like changing making a wheat farm from "use one bonemeal on each tile of wheat to grow it" to "use anywhere from 1-5 to grow it". Same poo poo with trees. Fun fact: people got really good at making wheat and tree farms because waiting 30 minutes to an hour in real life for a tree to loving grow is Not Fun.

Not to mention poo poo like the Nether (basically Hell) having literally no reason to go there aside from glowstone for like a year after it was released, being enormously annoying to get to. You needed at least 10 pieces of obsidian, which was created by pouring water over lava and then mining it. Mining around lava is dangerous as gently caress because you can fall in and lose your entire inventory (one of the few things that I guarantee will make anyone ragequit a single player game of all things), doubly so with water around to shove you in. Triply so because obsidian takes 15 seconds per block to mine and can only be mined with a diamond pickaxe. While a diamond pickaxe is great, diamonds are so rare that despite having 5x the number of durability (i.e. number of uses) that an iron one does, iron is so much more common and less risky to get and iron pickaxes literally do everything a diamond one does except for obsidian. Back off that tangent, you know what glowstone is good for? Lighting rooms without a torch. 4 of which can be made using one stick and a piece of coal. That's as easy to get as you would expect. Even when they added more resources to the Nether, it was too little too late and it still wasn't worth going to. Speaking of things Not Worth Going To, see the final boss.

Weird. I have been playing MC since the betas, and never found much of that stuff to be a problem. I will agree that the Nether is mostly pointless, save for potion brewing, but once you find some Netherwort and some Soul Sand, you can easily set that up as a farm. Finding diamonds really isn't that hard. I can start a new game and have diamonds in less than 45 minutes or so, really. In the course of getting diamonds I find more than enough obsidian which can be safely mined - and a bucket of water will solve most of that problem anyway.

I never got into the huge automated tree/wheat farms, so I guess I never registered they are harder to make now.

The Ender Dragon is tough, but Minecraft never struck me as the type of game you play to "beat". Killing it was more of a "let's see if I can do this" kind of thing. After I did it, I still went right back to doing whatever I was already doing.