Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how hyped you were about the Night of the Long Knives.

Good times, good times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
Thanks Obama she muttered.
That's why I love this thread.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

vorebane posted:

What about just epipen and insulin? Looking at wikipedia insulin looks pretty twisty. I may be a dumb canuck but I feel this could be kickstarterable.

Seems like something a non-profit could do well - a singular focus on producing insulin as cheaply as possible.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Wow Fox is actually hitting Trump hard and tearing down his lies. Hard questions and journalistic integrity, from loving Fox. I mean, I know it's all because of their feud with him but still, drat.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Fox is infinitely competent at what they do, it's just a shame they use their power for evil more often than not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KiteAuraan posted:

Wow Fox is actually hitting Trump hard and tearing down his lies. Hard questions and journalistic integrity, from loving Fox. I mean, I know it's all because of their feud with him but still, drat.

This is FOX's last hail mary for their friends in the GOP before they give up and go full-Trump. They only do actual journalism in service to gutter motives.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Greatest country in the world! :patriot:

We have defacto legal suicide through the second amendment.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

McDowell posted:

We have defacto legal suicide through the second amendment.

No they still charge you if you fail and live.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Star Man posted:

I think that the GOP's seething hatred of Hillary far outweighs the establishment hatred of Trump. They will rally behind Trump in the end only because they'll want to see Hillary lose that badly.

We'll see. Right now they are freaking out because they are worried Trump will cost them the White House, and if they win that they will have Obama 09 levels of power. More, since they are already taking steps to see to it the senate minority can't stop them from passing things. There is a good chance their greed for power and disdain for their base coupled with being out of touch with how people will respond will have them make a play to oust trump and run who they want, expecting it to go hunky dory and they can implement the Ryan plan and worse

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Why is the thread title not about Trumps yuuuge cock?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think this Mitt/Ryan plan of their is really dumb for a bunch of reasons but if they really are thinking about it, I can't believe they are making it public. If this starts to pick up steam it's just going to play into Trump's anti-establishment image and solidify his base. Rubio/Cruz aren't going to peel off voters because there's some nebulous threat of ratfucking Trump.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gohmak posted:

Why is the thread title not about Trumps yuuuge cock?

We prefer not to be constantly reminded of it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

the_paradigm_shift posted:

No they still charge you if you fail and live.

Uh, I believe that is ATTEMPTED suicide...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Radish posted:

I think this Mitt/Ryan plan of their is really dumb for a bunch of reasons but if they really are thinking about it, I can't believe they are making it public. If this starts to pick up steam it's just going to play into Trump's anti-establishment image and solidify his base. Rubio/Cruz aren't going to peel off voters because there's some nebulous threat of ratfucking Trump.

It's even dumber because almost every criticism in Mitt's speech describes either himself or the rest of the GOP as well. The activities of Bain Capital alone make his concern trolling over the jobs lost to Trump's bad business dealings that much more hypocritical. Then there's the part where he talks about Trump's tax plan ballooning the deficit as if Cruz and Rubio's also don't do the same to the tune of about $8-9 billion each.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

ratfucking Trump.

It's not even really ratfucking if they're outright announcing it. The CREEP Nixonites that sabotaged Muskie's campaign did it by falsifying missives with the Senators letterhead.

This is just loving with Trump, period.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Neeksy posted:

It's even dumber because almost every criticism in Mitt's speech describes either himself or the rest of the GOP as well. The activities of Bain Capital alone make his concern trolling over the jobs lost to Trump's bad business dealings that much more hypocritical. Then there's the part where he talks about Trump's tax plan ballooning the deficit as if Cruz and Rubio's also don't do the same to the tune of about $8-9 billion each.

This is really why the Trump thing is so magnificent; it's the GOP itself, but only slightly more amped up so how can they possibly criticise what they themselves have been doing and promoting for at least a decade now.

I genuinely hope for a brokered convention. Honestly, I might take time off work just to sit and watch.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the real damage that Trump is doing is twofold. One he's showing the world that the conservative ideology is inherently amoral and corrupt despite the years of pretending otherwise with dog whistles and Serious people talking about Sensible but inevitable policies. Everything that they can hammer Trump on they are guilty of themselves. Admittedly this requires the media to actually call them on this but with social media it's easier for anyone to realize that Mitt's criticisms are hilariously hypocritical. I'm supposed to believe that Trump is taking the dignity from the Republican party by being an rear end in a top hat and making dick comments when Rubio tweeted that the CIA guys who anally raped prisoners are American heroes??? The second is that the Tea Party which has already been emboldened now realize that they have the power to push their own presidential candidate and don't have to bow to the establishment and money classes. Both of those things are terrifying to the leaders which seems to be resulting in this absurd flailing to try and jam the cork back in the Trump genie bottle to little success.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What will out right destroy the GOP? A brokered convention or Trump getting 1237?

Anything politics feels surreal. I am starting to wonder if I am Robert Hartley.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

This so good; the GOP SuperPACs are unhappy! :qq: :qq:

quote:

The failure of Super Pacs to make a crucial impact has caused lots of heartburn for GOP fundraisers and numerous mega donors. And those frustrations have only deepened with the growing strength of the billionaire Donald Trump who, flaunting his outsider shtick, has regularly bashed his rivals for their reliance on Super Pacs and big donors, while garnering enormous free media coverage with verbal bombshells.

“Those big expensive ads didn’t have the impact we hoped they would,” said Mel Sembler, a Florida shopping mall magnate who was a top fundraiser for the Jeb Bush-backing Right to Rise Super Pac which hauled in about $119m, but spent only a few million targeting Trump. “The antics that Trump puts on get him all the air time.”

Some GOP insiders fault the Super Pacs’ game plans. Until recently, little was spent by Super Pacs allied with senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz or others attacking Trump’s incendiary rhetoric, contradictory stances and checkered business record.

“It was a tactical error on the part of several candidates to attack each other rather than Donald,” said veteran GOP operative Charlie Black, who notes that Super Pacs backing Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz aimed much of their fire at one another.

“I think the free airtime Trump has enjoyed has given him a great advantage,” said Fred Malek, a leading fundraiser for the Republican Governors Association. “Because Trump is entertaining and says outrageous things they tend to cover him.”

Likewise, GOP operative Black quips that Trump’s free media coverage is due to the “CNN Super Pac”. A 30-minute ad by Barack Obama shown in prime time in 2008 – as some Trump speeches are today, for free – was estimated to cost his campaign well over $1m.

But with Trump’s lead growing – including wins in seven out of 11 states on Super Tuesday – fears in establishment donor circles have escalated, and some anti-Trump Super Pacs have seen seven figure donations surge. More is expected before the key primaries in Florida and Ohio on 15 March.

“A Super Pac can be underwritten by a handful of big donors and keep candidates in the race even though they don’t have that much political support,” said Black. “They’ve given opportunities to long shot candidates to get in and run for the full year leading up to Iowa and New Hampshire.”

Some big fundraisers voice related concerns. “I think having a handful of people making outsized contributions is not what the founders had in mind,” said Malek. “But the law is the law.”

This election is just amazing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those are some high quality tears. Like top of the shelf $1000 a glass tears.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I don't understand how they expect this brokered convention to work. Let's say Trump gets 45%, Cruz 25%, Rubio 20%, Kasich 10%. I can see how they could count on Rubio and Kasich's delegates to fall in line behind Rubio/Romney/Ryan or whatever GOPe stooge. But why would they expect Cruz's delegates to do the same once they are unbound?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty clear they really don't have a plan and are desperate for a plan which is making them look weaker and more inept. Even worse they are losing to an obvious conman, not some kind of Lex Luther super genius villain. I guess when your entire ideology is a con, the best con man should rightfully be the leader.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

I don't understand how they expect this brokered convention to work. Let's say Trump gets 45%, Cruz 25%, Rubio 20%, Kasich 10%. I can see how they could count on Rubio and Kasich's delegates to fall in line behind Rubio/Romney/Ryan or whatever GOPe stooge. But why would they expect Cruz's delegates to do the same once they are unbound?

I'm thinking they don't actually have a plan, they're just repeated "brokered convention" over and over as the only other thing that might stop Trump without actually putting together how that's going to be accomplished.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm thinking they don't actually have a plan, they're just repeated "brokered convention" over and over as the only other thing that might stop Trump without actually putting together how that's going to be accomplished.

Agreed. They've coasted on white anger for so long that now someone is doing it better than them they have been caught totally flat footed. I'm not sure who was supposed to win in a Trumpless primary (JEB! would have looked weak regardless) but it's obviously gone so far off the rails and their typical semi-legal tricks aren't going to work against him.

VVV I think they still believe that they are the adults in the room and if they screw over Trump and put up father figure Mitt Romney the babies will have their tantrum but in four months will have cried themselves out and be ready to eat their veggies. They might be right but it seems like a huge loving risk just to put up someone more "electable" against Hillary. I half think this is all just a show to prove to the money guys that they are still in control and don't actually care about winning the presidency at this point. Rich guy feelings are very delicate and they wouldn't want them to feel like they aren't the most important people in the country.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 4, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

And they must not be expecting any fallout from the Trump supporters either. If they really ratfucked Trump out of the Republican nomination, he would never let them live it down, especially since he would probably run third party.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jimbozig posted:

If it comes to that they'll probably end up with a compromise candidate, and the only man every Republican can agree on is wonder boy Paul Ryan.

It probably won't come to that. Trump is the future the Republican party has been building towards for the better part of a decade and will likely be the candidate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In an ideal world, they drag this out to the convention then everyone rallies behind Trump.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Isn't Paul Ryan a secret Muslim?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Isn't Paul Ryan a secret Muslim?

It's ok, he shaved off the beard.

But maybe that's all taqqiya...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jimbozig posted:

This is more about sending a message about party unity and that, really, they're okay with losing in November, imo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Litany Unheard posted:

If it comes to that they'll probably end up with a compromise candidate, and the only man every Republican can agree on is wonder boy Paul Ryan.

It probably won't come to that. Trump is the future the Republican party has been building towards for the better part of a decade and will likely be the candidate.

Until the establishment is so desperate they start hiring gangs or assassins to get rid of trump or make him too in a coma to run. Then reality fully becomes a cartoon or a film.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

What will out right destroy the GOP? A brokered convention or Trump getting 1237?

Anything politics feels surreal. I am starting to wonder if I am Robert Hartley.

Either has a pretty good chance to fracture the party.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radish posted:

VVV I think they still believe that they are the adults in the room and if they screw over Trump and put up father figure Mitt Romney the babies will have their tantrum but in four months will have cried themselves out and be ready to eat their veggies. They might be right but it seems like a huge loving risk just to put up someone more "electable" against Hillary. I half think this is all just a show to prove to the money guys that they are still in control and don't actually care about winning the presidency at this point. Rich guy feelings are very delicate and they wouldn't want them to feel like they aren't the most important people in the country.
If they did manage to somehow ratfuck Trump, I think they realize that they won't win this election, no matter who they run. They probably realize they'll lose the Senate for now from the depressed turnout, but they'll keep the House, and possibly win the Senate back in 2018. That's enough to have four straight years of obstruction for Hillary, which will put her in a tough re-election situation that the GOPe might be able to capitalize on in 2020.

This is preferable to Trump winning in 2016, which allows him to set the agenda and dictate how things are going to be for at least four, and possibly eight years.

The powered elite know how to write off a loss and move on. They have the resources to be able to play the long game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr Hootington posted:

Brokered Convention easily. Because If he has the majority of the delegates and gets hosed by the GOP establishment, he (rightfully) will raise hell, I don't even think there is anything possible that they could offer him that would prevent him from going nuclear.

Mostly I hope this dude's people are already gathering the votes necessary or can get on ballots somehow to run third party

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Inferior Third Season posted:

If they did manage to somehow ratfuck Trump, I think they realize that they won't win this election, no matter who they run. They probably realize they'll lose the Senate for now from the depressed turnout, but they'll keep the House, and possibly win the Senate back in 2018. That's enough to have four straight years of obstruction for Hillary, which will put her in a tough re-election situation that the GOPe might be able to capitalize on in 2020.

This is preferable to Trump winning in 2016, which allows him to set the agenda and dictate how things are going to be for at least four, and possibly eight years.

The powered elite know how to write off a loss and move on. They have the resources to be able to play the long game.

I'm not sure the Trump folks have a rout back to voting Republican after that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rubio: "Let's not politicize the Flint water crisis"

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. You guys made it a political objective to cut public services and used a political platform to make the change that caused this in the name of cost savings.
Its a very political issue. You want to claim you will solve problems politically, but everytime a problem puts a sour taste in your mouth, you claim 'Let's not politicize it'?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I think they are trying to consider if they want to risk their base having short memories. I could see four years being enough time for people to come around but 2018 is going to be pretty close and if the base has shown any trait it's willingness to put spite ahead of anything else, even their own well being. A lot of people really have no connection to the GOP other than team politics as they get no benefit from them being poor and working class so if the leaders blatantly say they don't give a poo poo about popular support, vote for the guy our shadowy cabal has chosen or gently caress you they would lose a lot of people.

Personally I would let Trump lose to Hillary and then rally around that which I think would be the least damaging option of what they have now.

CommieGIR posted:

Rubio: "Let's not politicize the Flint water crisis"

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. You guys made it a political objective to cut public services and used a political platform to make the change that caused this in the name of cost savings.
Its a very political issue. You want to claim you will solve problems politically, but everytime a problem puts a sour taste in your mouth, you claim 'Let's not politicize it'?

Didn't he also somehow blame Obama for it as well? Regardless it's pretty standard GOP messaging of "lets not talk about anything that makes us look bad or you are the real jerk here." Seems somewhat hypocritical from the party that is still freaking out about four guys dying in Benghazi but what do I know.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 4, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Another barely mediocre jobs report: UE holds at 4.9%, 242k jobs created, 530k gain in household employment, 0.2% increase in labor force participation, trade deficit up to 45.7 bln, exports drop (4th straight month), hourly earnings down 3 cents

Look to VSPs claiming this validates the Fed's rate hike and calling for more. On NOR this morning one tool was already gloating they need to hike "3 or 4 more times"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sarcastr0 posted:

I'm not sure the Trump folks have a rout back to voting Republican after that.

Ehhh 4 or 8 years is a long time(Incumbents have such an advantage I don't expect a loss in 2020 if Clinton wins). They will come back. It's not like those people are suddenly going to not eat up the normal talking points of the republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Another barely mediocre jobs report: UE holds at 4.9%, 242k jobs created, 530k gain in household employment, 0.2% increase in labor force participation, trade deficit up to 45.7 bln, exports drop (4th straight month), hourly earnings down 3 cents

Look to VSPs claiming this validates the Fed's rate hike and calling for more. On NOR this morning one tool was already gloating they need to hike "3 or 4 more times"

outside of wages, that's a pretty good jobs report. i dunno what can be done on wages at this point tbh.

• Locked thread