Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I emailed too, sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Here have another Yndi Halda track: http://www.stereogum.com/1857122/yndi-halda-together-those-leaves-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

And this is pretty good, h/t to the guy who posted it in the doom thread: http://vulturesofcult.bandcamp.com/album/pastoral

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

More new Mogwai soundtrack stuff.

Finally got around to seeing the Channel 4 documentary the soundtrack is for, some good poo poo. It's more like a Koyannistkatsi type of thing, some neat footage in it though.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Tortoise - The Catastrophist

This is the new album that came out last month. Gatefold card cover for the CD with inner sleeve. Same personnel as before (iirc). 12 tracks. Along the same lines as previous albums, TC is probably closest to It's All Around You in tone and tempo. This is more electronic than some of their records but not as much as Beacons of Ancestorship. There is a touch more funk in some of these tracks. There are two songs with vocals, the first is a cover of Rock On by 1970s rocker David Essex (ask your mom - but only if she's British). I don't like either of these. They are really sluggish and dismal and remind me of T's first ever single (music to cut your wrists to). :smithicide:

One disappointment is that only one of the tracks is over 5 min and if you are - like me - skipping the songs with lyrics then that makes this a pretty short album. I miss some of the longer pieces they did - DJed, Gamera, the 12" remixes etc. - where they could build complex structures or really groove. But I guess if I want more of it then that is a recommendation in itself. :shrug: I'd give it a 7/10. I don't love it and it's not TNT but hey, nothing else will be...

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Sea & The Bells by Rachel's

You missed that, guys? Seriously? I shall be collecting your post-rock credential cards and shredding them.

I lag behind in this already slow thread, but thanks for reminding me that Rachel's exist. I love Selenography but never really looked any further. Also, the album you linked is 20 years old, and Selenography turns 17. :suicide:

Also, I really don't like those new Mogwai songs at all. I think I've posted about it before, but after the "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will" tour with the incredibly annoying "Mexican Grand Prix" and overall underwhelming newer songs (I still think "Letters To The Metro" is the best song on the album, and even that is boring and lacks a climax or even proper development), I have pretty much stopped bothering. They were best, I think, when they didn't rely as heavily on weird electro beats etc., but I got to see both Christmas Steps and Ex-Cowboy live, so whatever.

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's the exact same song they've filled their last couple proper albums with. Not hot on it.

This started at the very latest with "The Sun Smells Too Loud" on "The Hawk Is Howling" and got progressively (:eyepop:) worse.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoy Mogwai's "new sound" and I'm glad they're changing things up instead of just making the same generic post-rock over and over again. It makes sense since they've always detested the cliched post-rock scene. There's already way too much post-rock rear end post-rock acts, Mogwai doesn't need to follow suit. I didn't like Hardcore Will Never Die at first because it was so different and off beat, but I came to appreciate it more over the years. Rave Tapes was fresh, except a couple songs were pretty mediocre, ironically mostly the ones that try to recapture a "traditional" sound. I remember a lot of goons ITT hated Rave Tapes but loved the deleted tracks that surfaced later, where as I found those deleted tracks to be totally uninspired and was glad they were kept off the album.

BlurPost-rock: are shite.

Edit: Same kinda thing is happening to Sigur Rós really. Anything they released after Takk bored me to the point of not bothering, just retreading on their tried and true sounds. Then Kveikur released and shook things up to great effect, becoming my favourite album of that year.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 10, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mogwai is mogwai and that but the newest song, Ether, sounds like their older stuff. I love it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Any Mogwai is good Mogwai for me. I even like the mostly ambient quiet stuff on the Zidane soundtrack. Atomic is pretty much a soundtrack right? I'm not terribly surprised they didn't record "Mogwai STILL Fear Satan", and besides new album hopefully means tour and hot drat do I enjoy that live show.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 11, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Atomic is a soundtrack, so probably no tour for it. Mogwai doesn't seem to want to slow down yet though, so probably won't be too long before another studio album.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I LOVE their soundtrack stuff particularly les Revenants and Zidane albums. I got to see them perform the latter live in front of a screening of the film. Great night.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
You can't mention Mogwai's soundtrack work and not mention The Fountain soundtrack. Great movie and even better music.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye a can

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Les Revenants is really good, IMO. I liked Zidane too, but it doesn't work as well as a standalone work. A little too muted and repetitive. That's understandable though, it's music for a biopic.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tell me about these deleted songs from Rave Tapes.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So I got into a conversation, sorta, with the old drummer from Godspeed, AKA 1 speed Bike who are loving great.

Not exactly post rock but this is what he's doing now, while Godspeed tour. He said "gently caress banks". :)

http://1-speedfukinbike.bandcamp.com/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tell me about these deleted songs from Rave Tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbKO43N46o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rAbjCT8l0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpsqdIK410

Calling them deleted tracks isn't exactly correct I guess. They're more so tracks that were left off the main album and added to the Japanese/box set versions instead. They sound a lot closer to Mogwai's older sounds so I get why people like them, they just sound pretty :effort: to me.

BobHoward posted:

Les Revenants is really good, IMO. I liked Zidane too, but it doesn't work as well as a standalone work. A little too muted and repetitive. That's understandable though, it's music for a biopic.

Agree. The Earth Division EP released just after Hardcore Will Never Die has some real gems on it too, you can tell some of the sounds they explored in that then went on to Les Revenants soundtrack.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mogwai is one of those bands that has really loving good b-sides. For example, I love Hardcore Will Never Die a whole lot and I love every track that made it on that album, but Slight Domestic could easily stand shoulder-to-shoulder with any of the tracks that made the final tracklist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-tqLd7yqk

And in the case of Die 1 Dislike, I've listened to that song so much that when I think of Rave Tapes, I think of that song more than several of the songs that made the final tracklist.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Agreed. Earth Division is excellent.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This was left off of most versions of Hardcore Will Never Die as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkA0rqMkvoA

Mogwai is really good guys.

Edit: Actually while we're talking about Mogwai B-sides, the original Mogwai B-side really sets the pace for what would come from Mogwai, while still very much showing their raw origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92xUPx1QQY

I've never actually really cared much for the A-side, Tuner.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mogwai is one of those bands that has really loving good b-sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabLlEPT6ec

"Dracula Family" was left of The Hawk is Howling and it's lovely. The intro gives me goosebumps. I also like the special edition discs and if you ever have the chance of getting the extended versions, imports and editions with extra discs I would always think about getting them.

Hats off to Mogwai, they have a great production rate compared to their contemporaries. Theoretically it is 8 studio albums in 20 years but counting EPs, soundtracks and material released later, they must have at least 15 albums worth, maybe more. Although I have loads of their material, I would love a really hefty and comprehensive boxset to save me chasing down Japanese imports in my twilight years...

E: Another group which has kept up high standards and output is Guided By Voices (1,600 songs in 30 years). 23 studio albums and three entire 100-song boxsets of unreleased material (total 300 songs). They aren't post-rock, so I won't write about them here. One day I'll start a giant effort post OP for a thread and watch it plummet towards the archives. :smith:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 13, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I would love a really hefty and comprehensive boxset to save me chasing down Japanese imports in my twilight years...

While Central Belters isn't comprehensive, a third of it is dedicated to B-sides and other oddities. It's also an amazing compilation, definitely worth getting while you still can.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Saw Godspeed live. It owned. Ok bye.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Same here, saw them the night of the 13th. loving amazing. East Hastings to close out their set blew my gourd. They played a lot of new material, I dug it. About 3/4 of the way through their set the speaker that was right in front of me blew out, was a very :boom: moment from GY!BE.

The openers, Xylouris White(sp?) were dope, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yup, I saw them in like September (also with Xylouris White) and I can confirm that it owned.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Xylouris White opened for Swans too, they're great.

Setlist was Mladic-Behemoth-Storm-BBF3

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Last night? I was supposed to go write about it but got snowed in :(

Also isn't Behemoth just the most recent album?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 15, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also isn't Behemoth just the most recent album?

Correct.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Any word on the recording info or titles of the two new Godspeed tracks?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That new Mogwai soundtrack is being released with limited neato colour pattern LPs. Super tempting since the patterns fit the theme, but honestly I think the music is better accompanied with the visuals of the documentary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another amazing Caspian live performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaUv79xHo8
  • Arcs of Command
  • Echo and Abyss
  • Run Dry
  • Fire Made Flesh

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

lazerwolf posted:

Any word on the recording info or titles of the two new Godspeed tracks?

No word on recording though, knowing Godspeed, they'll be on the next album. As for names, I've seen the one referred to as "Buildings" and the other as "Trains". Don't know much more than that.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Saw a new single from Into Orbit, a post-rock duo from New Zealand, on reddit and checked out their debut album on Bandcamp.

It's really quite good for just two people.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SmokinDan posted:

Saw a new single from Into Orbit, a post-rock duo from New Zealand, on reddit and checked out their debut album on Bandcamp.

It's really quite good for just two people.

I saw these guys opening for another band and they were so boring that i can't remember what they sounded like at all.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Another new song from the upcoming EitS album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2p4Ml_lS7A

Still not digging it.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jehde posted:

Another new song from the upcoming EitS album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2p4Ml_lS7A

Still not digging it.

The previous song they released was meh and did nothing for me, but it was still an EITS song. This is just bad I think.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Rhgr posted:

The previous song they released was meh and did nothing for me, but it was still an EITS song. This is just bad I think.

It's a keyboardist going "look, my synthesiser has sounds!!!", followed by a guitar player falling asleep thanks to his own boring picking.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Yndi Halda comeback is streaming. It has vocals.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/03/02/yndi-halda-stream/

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Yndi Halda comeback is streaming. It has vocals.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/03/02/yndi-halda-stream/

I got the album a come weeks ago and I have to say, it's no EEB.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I got the album a come weeks ago and I have to say, it's no EEB.

I'm really digging it, but EEB is one of the best post-rock albums ever so I don't mind if it doesn't quite deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
So Ive been incredibly out of the post-rock loop for awhile.

Can anyone give me a general summary of good new stuff, new bands that are getting big and new stuff from more established bands?

Ive got the new Caspian and been listening to the new EITS but I feel like Ive missed a whole lot, especially seeing here that Yndi Halda is back.

I really need some good new post-rock in my life.