Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It really bums me out that Squre-Enix has put like all of their SNES rpgs on the Japanese VC but nothing anywhere else. I want portable SNES Square games so badly.

I feel as though Square-Enix has all but given up on RPG's in the West. It it isn't KH or FF, it isn't worth it to them.

Though you do have those great remakes on Steam :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I feel as though Square-Enix has all but given up on RPG's in the West. It it isn't KH or FF, it isn't worth it to them.

Though you do have those great remakes on Steam :suicide:

If you ignore Dragon Quest VII, VIII and Heroes, Bravely Second, Nier Automata (it's an aRPG, it counts), and Setsuna, sure.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Motto posted:

If you ignore the two DQ games coming over, Bravely Second, Nier Automata (it's an aRPG, it counts), and Setsuna, sure.

The DQ games and Bravely Second are being published by Nintendo. I forgot about the latter two

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

The DQ games and Bravely Second are being published by Nintendo. I forgot about the latter two

Square-Enix is the publisher for Bravely Second? Nintendo's promoting it but Square-Enix is the listed publisher.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ImpAtom posted:

Square-Enix is the publisher for Bravely Second? Nintendo's promoting it but Square-Enix is the listed publisher.

It's the same deal as with Bravely Default.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
How's the WiiU controller screen for SNES VC stuff? I'm debating that or an n3DS for old JRPGs.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I bought Super Mario World and Earthbound on my New Nintendo 3DS XL last night, even though I already have them on my Nintendo WiiU.

I am part of the problem.

(At least I got Earthbound for €5).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lazyhound posted:

How's the WiiU controller screen for SNES VC stuff?

Really nice. The screen itself makes the games look crisp, big and colorful and the controller is ergonomic and pleasant to hold for long stretches of time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

It's a long shot but I hope there's a discount for having wiiu editions.

It should be free if I already own it on Wii U but I'm not expecting it lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

I just pulled up the "New Arrivals" list and there they were. And no; no cross-platform discount. $7.99 each.

Wintendo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It really bums me out that Squre-Enix has put like all of their SNES rpgs on the Japanese VC but nothing anywhere else. I want portable SNES Square games so badly.

ffta is on wii u vc now so we might actually start seeing more, hopefully

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

How's the WiiU controller screen for SNES VC stuff? I'm debating that or an n3DS for old JRPGs.

I've played through a few SNES games on it with no complaints at all. It's a good size and I loved being able to leave the controller bedside and pick up some Super Metroid or Earthbound while I fell asleep.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lazyhound posted:

It's okay but the Wii U doesn't have a ton of old JRPGs and the 3DS probably won't either.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

In Training posted:

It should be free if I already own it on Wii U but I'm not expecting it lol

Why would you expect this? Just because you buy a game on one platform does not entitle you to free access on other platforms in perpetuity.

I think there should have been some manner of small discount; but expecting stuff for free seems ridiculous to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Why would you expect this? Just because you buy a game on one platform does not entitle you to free access on other platforms in perpetuity.

I think there should have been some manner of small discount; but expecting stuff for free seems ridiculous to me.

Because that's how Sony's worked. I have a ton of PSX games I can play on PS3 or Vita, which this is identical to.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let's not have this argument again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

In Training posted:

Because that's how Sony's worked. I have a ton of PSX games I can play on PS3 or Vita, which this is identical to.

Well it certainly is neat of Sony to offer that...but it's not like "multi-platform access forever" is a required feature of digital game purchases.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Well it certainly is neat of Sony to offer that...but it's not like "multi-platform access forever" is a required feature of digital game purchases.

My man you are insane sometimes lol.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shut up jivjov

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Xbox/Windows is also starting to roll it out. It's becoming the norm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

In Training posted:

My man you are insane sometimes lol.

Upgrades within the same console family (like Wii to Wii U) is one thing...but "I bought a game on a console so I'm entitled to it on a handheld" is just that; entitlement.

Again; it's cool of Sony to offer it, but it is in no way required to do digital business.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

In Training posted:

They didn't do that with PS2 games on PS4 though.

Also you still can't play PSX games on PS4.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 4, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reminder that Sony isn't doing that anymore. You need to rebuy your digital PS2 games to play them on the PS4, at a premium cost too without any sort of discount for previous owners. It's their right to do so, and it's my right as a consumer to vote with my wallet.

Etc, etc. When's Picross 3D II?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

They didn't do that with PS2 games on PS4 though.

Also you still can't play PSX games on PS4.

That's true but I never bought any PS2 games so it hasn't affected me yet, thankfully.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

In Training posted:

That's true but I never bought any PS2 games so it hasn't affected me yet, thankfully.
lol ok then

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't have a NEW 3DS XL, so the point is moo, but I heavily favour the GBA remake of Super Mario World over the original SNES version apart from one boneheaded design decision. There are some games originally from the GBA on the 3DS VC, so is there anything practical stopping them from putting the GBA remake on the 3DS VC? I have the cartridge version and it's already on Wii U VC, but I would still love to see a 3DS port. I presume that it's not a "no proper emulator" issue because they already have GBA games available.

Edit: Still not getting a New 3DSXL, but having LttP and Super Metroid on the go would have been nice.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

There are some games originally from the GBA on the 3DS VC, so is there anything practical stopping them from putting the GBA remake on the 3DS VC?

Are there GBA games on the 3DS VC? I don't think there are.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's the Ambassador games, but that's it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are the odds Bravely Default goes on sale prior to the release of Bravely Second? I've been wanting to pick it up for a few weeks now but have plenty of other ways to entertain myself so I could hold off on it if doing so would save me a few bucks.

Also drat, if we get an SNES style n3DS here in the States that might push me over the edge.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Echophonic posted:

There's the Ambassador games, but that's it.

And they were only available in a limited run for free, and had none of the usual VC features.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
All I've ever wanted is to play super metroid and lttp on the train. What a time to be alive.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So, yeah, pretty much emulator issues. If anything, GBA games could be coming to VC as N3DS exclusives, but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

So, yeah, pretty much emulator issues. If anything, GBA games could be coming to VC as N3DS exclusives, but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on it.

Not an option most people want to pursue, but I love GBA games, so I just ended up buying an AGS-101 GBA and started collecting the carts.

GBA games on the gamepad are pretty freaking sweet though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

thexerox123 posted:

And they were only available in a limited run for free, and had none of the usual VC features.

That was because they were no VC games, but rather GBA games played in the DS compatibility mode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Greetings jivjov,

I was very pleased to see that SNES games would now be available on virtual console for New Nintendo 3DS, though I was hoping that some consideration for people who had already bought these titles on WiiU would also be announced, and I am hopeful that there will be some consideration for people who have bought titles on either platform on future platforms going forward.

I own many virtual console games on both the new Nintendo 3DS and the WiiU, and in fact own every announced SNES title for new Nintendo 3DS on my WiiU already. I think charging some kind of fee to get a title you have on one system onto the other is fair, in appreciation for the work that goes into porting a game and the various virtual console features on a platform as well as the work of writing manuals in different formats/languages, and licensing fees. However I think charging the full price on both systems is too much. I understand in the past account systems were not necessarily robust enough to account for this, but from what I understand now both eShops are much more tightly integrated.

I've never bought the same virtual console title across the two platforms, instead buying all SNES/NES/other games on Wii/WiiU and all Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on 3DS. If cross buy were available, even with some kind of licensing fee, I would gladly begin to keep my library on both systems. I hope Nintendo will consider making such a feature available through their new account system. I also hope Nintendo will take into consideration the virtual console games players have already purchased on both 3DS family and WiiU systems when it implements these games on its future platforms.

Sincerely,
Dr. Barack H. Obama Jr., POTUS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; completely agreed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Ignore me

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Sorry, those were just Ambassador games, but it still tells me that GBA is possible... maybe. I kind of hope that they never do have good GBA emulation with fun titles on the New 3DS, because I would probably buy one for no good reason.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Ignore me

nah, you're a good poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Im at work and can't check the eshop, but how much is the new Zelda digitally? Amazon is selling codes for $50.