Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

To be fair it would be pretty hilarious if they did a "Making of" documentary and didn't have any footage taken during the making.

Or that Chris hosts it all in a mocap suit. And as the docu goes on ping pong balls keep falling off, bounces on the wooden floor a few times, and no one acknowledges or watches it.

Chris: "And here is one of our artists, Mike, tell them what you are doing at the moment Mike."
Mke: "Well I am masking a new color on top of some engine exhaust assets we created a year ago, they will be part of a new ship we will be selling next month."
*camera pans back to Chris in a flop sweat and wide eyed grin.*

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No spike as far as I can tell :shrug:

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 4, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I know a few company owners like this.
They started out as talented hard workers and slowly with age found themselves 'in charge' of their company. It can be deadly and hilarious. One that I know likes to 'keep his hand in' and sometimes designs various labels for some of the products his company makes, this is always done at night, at the weekend and always means that the following Monday his staff will email me asking to fix a design he made in Publisher and the label is always late to print when this happens.

I worked for a medical journal that was run by an insane 70'something year old woman. She never visited the office, but ran the whole operation from her flat via angry telephone calls and faxes. Occasionally she would log onto the internet in the early hours and respond to company emails (which was the task of the office manager, not her). She'd send angry rants about doctors to the office, not realising she'd also cc'd the doctor in question... Monday mornings were always damage control mornings. lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Could ben even put both hands on a gamepad at the same time to play?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Slow_Moe posted:

56K modem dialup sound. All of it. In stereo.

It's what the stimperor would have wanted.

Good call. I'll add this to the ship startup "script."

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Finally. Validation that i know about game development.

Archive that, reddit. :smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EminusSleepus posted:

Nobody bought his ubber priced CPU, now you have to wait for him to work on your JPEGs lol

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6431421/#Comment_6431421

Uh in what way would his estimate be "taken out of context"

Dude doesn't make sense

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dude doesn't make sense

clearly you dont know anything about open game development sir, with a company so dynamic that they don't even have a roadmap, everything will be taken out of context

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

Pretty long cable between wiimote and nunchuck

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
loving shitizens. every person that criticizes their shitgame is called a 'smart fanboi' (yes I know it's spelled incorrectly). the only people that keep bringing him up as some sort of argument is the cultists. it's weird.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dude doesn't make sense

The context is that his guesstimate is just his opinion at the time, and since it doesn't come from Chris it should be completely disregarded.

You don't want people thinking that a developer might know when he can get something done.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

It's going well

That's nothing to brag about.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spacetoaster posted:

That's nothing to brag about.

I know, I am, easily pleased

Edit: doh!

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The context is that his guesstimate is just his opinion at the time, and since it doesn't come from Chris it should be completely disregarded.

You don't want people thinking that a developer might know when he can get something done.

That's okay, even if it came from squatcrobblers directly, he would yell at the fans and say it was only an estimate and that they shouldn't be forced to adhere to strict timelines. Or he would come up with some other revisionist history where it was done, but then shitizens wanted something more added, so it's their fault for making poor squatcrobblers do more work to appease them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

I know, I am, easily pleased

There are pills to help with premature pleasing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pretty long cable between wiimote and nunchuck

Someone should inject wiimote support into the already raging controller wars.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

quote:

Sales pitch:

He fell back and referred me to RSI and BoredGamer. I'm not entirely convinced I could go on a PVE hunting trip with friends and hunt procedurally generated space birds.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

radium.txt posted:

Conversation with radiumsa at 10/10/2011 12:13:25 PM on SAAssLowtax (aim)
(12:13:30) SAAssLowtax: so what is the ETA now?
(12:14:37) Radium: ETA just makes you mad, I can't put a date on things because things change as I work on it
(12:15:15) SAAssLowtax: they make me mad when you say something definitively will happen on one day and it does not
(12:15:58) SAAssLowtax: I'd just like to know what is going on and if anything will be ready either this week, month, year, etc
(12:16:30) Radium: I've been telling you what I'm working on
(12:17:17) Radium: right now, I could finish it tomorrow, but things keep coming up that I have to do and test, etc, so I can't promise it
(12:18:09) SAAssLowtax: yeah I got one email Wednesday explaining things, then one on Thursday that said nothing, then one yesterday saying you're still working on SASBI
(12:20:22) Radium: yeah... not sure what you want then
(12:21:08) Radium: you want like a daily report type email?
(12:21:33) SAAssLowtax: nevermind
(12:21:39) Radium: wait, I'll call you in a minute, this is retarded
(12:21:46) SAAssLowtax: I don't have my phone with me
(12:22:02) Radium: poo poo
(12:22:03) SAAssLowtax: we've had this conversation a million times and it has never resolved anything
(12:23:19) Radium: I've been telling you what I'm working on, if you want something different just tell me
(12:23:32) Radium: I can send details, I just didn't think you were big on micromanaging
(12:24:49) SAAssLowtax: I don't want to manage poo poo, I just want to know what is going on.. For example, you said before you'd have it up and running on the dev server this weekend. Then nothing happen. Since you broke the date you initially intended to make, I would like to be kept in the daily loop explaining what is happening.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

that's awesome.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

please do not post confidential CS communications

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

Someone should inject wiimote support into the already raging controller wars.

Thinking about it a Wiimote wouldn't necessarily be the stupidest thing to control a space ship with

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kordansk posted:

That's okay, even if it came from squatcrobblers directly, he would yell at the fans and say it was only an estimate and that they shouldn't be forced to adhere to strict timelines. Or he would come up with some other revisionist history where it was done, but then shitizens wanted something more added, so it's their fault for making poor squatcrobblers do more work to appease them.

I just consider everything Chris Roberts does at this point to be a goal, and like any failure he can't help but miss the mark.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kordansk posted:

that's awesome.

radium.txt is all the rage in gbs

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wafflz posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This might help you out Ben

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Oh don't worry, I've already started working on the startup sequence immersion. Just audio so far, but your ship doesn't get full power until it's finished its startup sequence. Making it very, very annoying and overlong will require a lot of iteration.

Here's a teaser. Might be a bit loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASlGsRcAZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgwkkcvd00

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He could maybe use that wiiu gamepad thing with the touch screen in the center. I have one and hate how wide and unwieldy it is but I can touch both hands together in front of my stomach.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

He could maybe use that wiiu gamepad thing with the touch screen in the center. I have one and hate how wide and unwieldy it is but I can touch both hands together in front of my stomach.

Oh, do they make one with a 42" screen now?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

I realize this is from a ways back at this point, but if you fly too close to something the ship's computer should go into the "Landing gear deployed/retracted" freakout for a couple seconds and the be like "Oh man... what just happened to me?"

These are some of the ideas I had:

## Landing Gear Status
"Landing gear deployed"
"Landing gear retracted"
“Landing gear indifferent"
“Landing gear disorganized"
“Landing gear mutinous"
“Landing gear PC_LOADLETTER"
"Landing gear 404 Not Found"
“Landing gear drunk"
“Landing gear embarrassed"
“Landing gear self-aware"
“Landing gear isn’t here right now, would you like to leave a message?"
“Landing gear is going through a difficult breakup right now..."

## Landing Status
"Landing successf-"
"Landing not successful"
"Landing outcome uncertain"
“Landing unconfirmed"
“Landing ineffective” (after blowing up)
“Landing disastrous"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

He can borrow Chris' Razer Edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszyiKc-E5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMFMm6mVJuc

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

In case you wanted to know that whole story and haven't seen it yet: http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

WAT

That can't be real life.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Risc1911 posted:

Choosing CryEngine was the first in a line of horrible mistakes that inevitably leads to the complete re-writing of most of the engine which is the equivalent of turning a cat into an elephant by taping a garden hose to it's face and feeding it until it gets so fat it can't move any more.

This gets my nomination for analogy of the week.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but the player character in Solar Plebeian needs to yell out "I'm feeling grief" when they die/take damage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Variable 5 posted:

Oh, do they make one with a 42" screen now?

savage

i lol'd at the office.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Evidently putting the stealthy-but-not-actually-stealth ship expressly constructed using recycled assets & the SS Chairgate up on sale has had the desired effect on the existing backers, while having the expected effect on enticing new morons.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Is this the same Fuzzy Modem that posts here? Sandi's "friend" that gets physically ill when people speak ill of her?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320815/don-t-wait-to-rearm-buy-a-pack-mule

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dusty Lens posted:

I do not recall who made it.

The tiny space whales are adorable.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CIG's media outflow machine working on a behind the scenes documentary isn't absurd in and of itself. It's something they said they were going to do and it was something I was actually looking forward to way back during the Wingman days. When I idiotically assumed that people like him were taking 10 minutes a week to put together something brief that captured some of the energy or emotion of that particular period to incorporate into a later effort.

Being shown a video of directors Sandi and Ben setting up some kind of studio to begin working on some kind of pain chamber where people will repeat how amazing the community is for ascending their visionary into the celestial interspersed with montages of CIG's upper echelon shaking hands with Gary Oldman and ogling Gillian Anderson's most secret places while their wive's are back in the states isn't the kind of production that makes sense when the company is sinking four years after they initially pulled the trigger.

If CIG was a sincere company that was actually pulling it off I imagine they would receive a very warm response with clips of a pre-black pumpkin Chris Roberts driving around with a computer tower talking about how he wasn't sure what the poo poo was going to happen with the conceptual pitch he was starting to work on would ever raise so much as an eyebrow. Rather than, you know, some kind of cynical loving effort towards establishing that one 'filmed a documentary'.

Also Solar Plebian should have a risk assessment system that lets you know if the other ship costs less than yours.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LowellDND posted:

Know what Id like to see? A constantly scrolling news feed, reporting victories against the Stimpire. Make it a randomly generated thing, x planet, y enemies destroyed, z losses (y/1000), with like a hundred planet names.

Actually... do we have the planet name list of SC? :D

Edit: Aha, here we are http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets

Throw a 1d10 generator at the end and we have our news feed :v:

Great news from the front! Today at [Odin] [7], Imperial forces crushed [546] [Destroyers], [48] [Dreadnoughts] and [243] [Carriers], losing only [5][escourts] in the process! A Great Victory!

Maybe get a little trumpet noise that can't be muted :v:

The sound is, of course, Horns.aiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

These are some of the ideas I had:

## Landing Gear Status
"Landing gear deployed"
"Landing gear retracted"
“Landing gear indifferent"
“Landing gear disorganized"
“Landing gear mutinous"
“Landing gear PC_LOADLETTER"
"Landing gear 404 Not Found"
“Landing gear drunk"
“Landing gear embarrassed"
“Landing gear self-aware"
“Landing gear isn’t here right now, would you like to leave a message?"
“Landing gear is going through a difficult breakup right now..."

## Landing Status
"Landing successf-"
"Landing not successful"
"Landing outcome uncertain"
“Landing unconfirmed"
“Landing ineffective” (after blowing up)
“Landing disastrous"

Those are brilliant, but I would switch it so the only time it ever said "Landing successful" was wafter blowing up. If you do actually land (is there even anything to land on) it should just be something like "Landing status hazy, ask again later."

• Locked thread