Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I realize that card costs BB instead of 1B, but it reminds me of Maro's comment on Walking Corpse in the original Innistrad:

quote:

This card actually caused quite a bit of discussion for R&D, as we've never done a black "Grizzly Bears" before. After much talking, it was decided that black should be able, some of the time, to get a two-drop vanilla 2/2.

Since then black has had a bear or bear-with-upside for 1B in M13, RTR, GTC, BNG, M15, FRF, DTK, DTK again, BFZ, and MMPR. "Some of the time" became "All of the time" surprisingly quickly.

(Also it's pretty lovely that bears have now joined one-mana filter cantrips and red-wraths at mythic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Who likes Merfolk Looter at mythic anyway

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think this card is a fine mythic, it does a bunch of stuff and is efficiently costed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Get your Risen Executioner specs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

It's also a really cool card that does a bunch of powerful stuff. How is it not mythic?

Lets pretend this doesn't/can't happen at rare I guess?

I get the argument for limited, but making constructed decks go up by 60-120 bucks because an auto 4 of is at mythic is much more annoying than seeing this kind of card at rare. Not that this will be an amazing card, but its definitely annoying to see a non-legendary, 1-3 drop creature at mythic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I get the argument for limited, but making constructed decks go up by 60-120 bucks because an auto 4 of is at mythic is much more annoying than seeing this kind of card at rare. Not that this will be an amazing card, but its definitely annoying to see a non-legendary, 1-3 drop creature at mythic.

I don't think there is any way that card is going to be 15 bucks...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there is any way that card is going to be 15 bucks...

I guess I didn't make it clear enough that this wasn't a lock to be a good card. Its just the type of card at mythic that annoys me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They have always printed cheap cards at mythic.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Why does cheap= not mythic? It's certainly powerful, it probably only goes in a few decks, and it has a real wow factor to it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

I'd say it's a BIT too complex for a 2016 rare to be honest. Between the power level (for Limited too), and the complexity (two triggers, off the same thing, both with a cost, they do different things), it's not a huge contender for Bullshit Mythic (TM).

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's a build-around not a staple, you need sac outlets and other zombies to make it good

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Costing BB instead of 1B is a non-trivial drawback in most decks. It seems strong enough to be played somewhere but the color requirement is going to keep it from being splashed everywhere like Jace. If it ends up in a mono-B shell, then you're also saving money on duals.

This is a totally fine mythic. Stop being weirdos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's a build-around not a staple, you need sac outlets and other zombies to make it good

Yeah, how much this card is played will completely depend on context.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nantuko Husk is still around, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

Who likes bears with upsides?

Note: the abilities are different, so you can pay XB and get him back in your hand AND return a guy.

I'm excited to be back on a plane with cool hats everywhere.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They also regard CC as completely different to 1C for costing purposes. Red still doesn't get bears but Ash Zealot was printed.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nantuko Husk is still around, right?
Yep, along with Fleshbag Marauder.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

one-mana filter cantrips at mythic.)

Oath of Nissa is a rare.

There have been 6 1-cmc mythics printed*, and 3 of those are X-spells so they aren't really 1 mana. The other three are Dragonmaster Outcast, Kytheon, and Warden of the First Tree, two of whom need more than 1 mana to really work and the third is a flipwalker.

*18 more were reprinted at mythic for products like FTVs and MTGO-only sets. The above six were originally printed at mythic.

If anything, this guy is a lot like Dragon Whisperer. 2-colored mana cost for a 2/2 with interesting abilities but sort of restricted in what decks even want it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
one card recurring card advantage engines are probably mythic quality

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They also regard CC as completely different to 1C for costing purposes. Red still doesn't get bears but Ash Zealot was printed.
Yep, along with Fleshbag Marauder.

Flip Liliana could be really good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I find it really disingenuous to just call it a bear at mythic since you know, it has other text that's pretty good

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

I'm excited to be back on a plane with cool hats everywhere.

Hm, I'll take fun paper hats instead of candy for the prerelease too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It seems like the kind of card you run 2-3 copies of, but not the full four

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I already love the flavor, art, and mechanics of this set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure about that, it gets better in multiples.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It seems like the kind of card you run 2-3 copies of, but not the full four

I dunno, in a deck that wants it I'm pretty sure you'd want all 4. It's good on turn 2 (it has loving Menace too), and good on turn 8. They recur each other, and I'm sure there will be some other good Zombies. There already are other good Zombies. Hopefully there will be some good graveyard hate in SoI, besides Kalitas and Anafenza. This synergizes with your own Kalitas BTW.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm, I'll take fun paper hats instead of candy for the prerelease too.

Foldable paper tricorn hats would be the best pre-release gimmick.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is Incorrigible Youths the first instance of the new Madness reminder text?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well let's look at the options here:

1. Print this at mythic, because it's a recurring creature that can also block and is also a pretty powerful reanimation spell in limited.

2. Print it at rare because it "doesn't feel mythic". Judging by the community reactions to every single mythic ever, "doesn't feel mythic" applies to anything that's not a planeswalker. Limited becomes almost as unfun as playing against Pack Rat, because decks become grindy games of bringing back zombies over and over.

3. Don't print the card at all, severely limiting what R&D can push out because if a card needs to be mythic but doesn't "feel mythic" then it can't be printed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

Foldable paper tricorn hats would be the best pre-release gimmick.

Bobbing for apples is another neat halloween activity that fits with SOI but we don't really like our fruits and veggies so I don't think that will go over well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Bobbing for apples is another neat halloween activity that fits with SOI but we don't really like our fruits and veggies so I don't think that will go over well.

There's also the whole "sweaty grognards dunking their filthy faces in water you're going to dunk your face in". thing, so...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I mean this slots in as a 2-4 of in any existing aristocrats deck fairly easily to replace things that are rotating, and that's ignoring anything else they print in SoI. It'll see play, probably a lot of it, unless we get a lot of playable grave hate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is Incorrigible Youths the first instance of the new Madness reminder text?

The first where it's legible. The unofficially spoiled Fiery Temper reprint honored the long tradition of leaks being photographed terribly by someone who doesn't care about blurriness or glare.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Chill la Chill posted:

Big Window's time is up!!! Also, that should look good in foil.

FTV: Broken Windows. With all werewolves and Mardu warriors.

Looking forward to that one, zombie tribal gets a big push there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

While it's powerful I think the application for Relentless Dead is pretty narrow. You need zombies and you need to be heavily black (you should be able to pay BBB to make it worth it IMO). So I doubt its mythicness will be a major problem unless Mono-Black Zombies is the only playable deck in standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Geralf's Masterpiece is zombie Griselbrand. Look at the art.

Also, it's finally Risen Executioner's time to shine!

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 4, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I really hate their mythic design strategy of "make a very powerful card, then give it 1-2 additional upsides on top of that."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BizarroAzrael posted:

FTV: Broken Windows. With all werewolves and Mardu warriors.

Looking forward to that one, zombie tribal gets a big push there.

Wait, mardudes were into that as well? I never noticed cuz I was fawning at the glory of the champion dude.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, mardudes were into that as well? I never noticed cuz I was fawning at the glory of the champion dude.

On an unrelated note, is this finally going to be the block where sorin actually does something

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Well let's look at the options here:

1. Print this at mythic, because it's a recurring creature that can also block and is also a pretty powerful reanimation spell in limited.

2. Print it at rare because it "doesn't feel mythic". Judging by the community reactions to every single mythic ever, "doesn't feel mythic" applies to anything that's not a planeswalker. Limited becomes almost as unfun as playing against Pack Rat, because decks become grindy games of bringing back zombies over and over.

3. Don't print the card at all, severely limiting what R&D can push out because if a card needs to be mythic but doesn't "feel mythic" then it can't be printed.

Option 4: make it a 5 mana 6/3 or whatever so it "feels mythic", thus completely changing the function of the card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Option 4: make it a 5 mana 6/3 or whatever so it "feels mythic", thus completely changing the function of the card

Actually the worst option.

• Locked thread