Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

woodch posted:

This last episode really leaves no exit strategy--it's the whole drat country (or world) in a huge panic--dying or dead, and staring down the business end of a real, live goddamn UFO. How do you possibly back-pedal this to return to Scully and Mulder chasing boogie-men, same bat-time, same bat-channel? They've kind of always resorted to the ol' "reset switch" for their bigger episodes, but the affected size of the reset was mostly the shadowy elements of the government, and Scully and Mulder, and that was basically it. This would be a reset on a global scale, which really stretches the suspension of disbelief.

Unexpected International pandemic found to have been caused by immigrants who were allowed into the country due to lax protocols. The ballyhoo about UFO's is idiotic, it was clearly a helicopter. People who claim otherwise were likely hallucinating, everyone was very sick. Cellphone photo's? Come on, I know Photoshop when I see it, even the videos just show a light. Anyway, the government was on it, yeah they tried to play it down at first to avoid a panic, but there was a cure ready to go within hours of the issue going really bad.

I know its dumb, but its my best guess as to how they would do it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Even the new stuff is a bit. The Anthrax Vaccine stuff? The Anthrax scare was manufactured (the Anthrax that "got loose" came from a Govt. lab) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense mandated that all service members (close to one million of them) get the vaccine and all the required booster shots, to the tune of billions of dollars. The thing is, a lot of the people involved in that decision who worked at the OSD at the time are now sitting on the board or are officers in the only company that makes that particular vaccine. :tinfoil:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really think Tad O Malley is part of the problem with the "new" mythology. If Mulder had come upon this info on his own or used one of his countless government insiders (one of which we even see at the end of the first ep), then it would have been a lot more palatable. Instead, Mulder looks up a bunch of YouTube videos, talks to Glenn Beck, and suddenly treats it all as fact. If Mulder had gone in with even a shred of skepticism it would have been better.

It would also help if CSM's new plan didn't directly contradict everything he did as part of the Syndicate.

1995 CSM: "We sacrificed a few so we could save many. Also we're developing a vaccine."
2016 CSM: "LOL JK That vaccine was evil and I'm DEPOPULATING the world for the aliens" *exposes burnface, cackles*

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Hopefully we'll get twelve episodes next time so we can get four good ones.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Teso Dos Bichos" was very bad and made no sense to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That is one of the worst episodes they've done. I've watched it numerous times and never have any idea what is going on in it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oh yeah, the cat one. It makes sense but it's not as clear because it's a horde of cats killing people instead of a single Jaguar-man or whatever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really think Tad O Malley is part of the problem with the "new" mythology. If Mulder had come upon this info on his own or used one of his countless government insiders (one of which we even see at the end of the first ep), then it would have been a lot more palatable. Instead, Mulder looks up a bunch of YouTube videos, talks to Glenn Beck, and suddenly treats it all as fact. If Mulder had gone in with even a shred of skepticism it would have been better.

It would also help if CSM's new plan didn't directly contradict everything he did as part of the Syndicate.

1995 CSM: "We sacrificed a few so we could save many. Also we're developing a vaccine."
2016 CSM: "LOL JK That vaccine was evil and I'm DEPOPULATING the world for the aliens" *exposes burnface, cackles*

Honestly I can't believe they didn't make that guy evil or at the very least a dupe. Or at the very lest someone with their own agenda. Like, who gets helicopter rich off of youtube videos?

Also yeah 1995 CSM was basically like big chunks of the US government circa 1950-1980. "The only way to win against an overwhelming force poised to annihilate us is to do every evil thing. We have to be more ruthless and do everything our enemies are afraid to do because the alternative is the Soviets win and we all die."

2016 CSM should have been about this hideous cold war relic applying that outdated mindset to a situation that's not an existential threat. Like, IDK, boring non-evil aliens if you really must have aliens. Turning local politics into a clash of civilizations for no good reason. Instead of "let's just be evil hahahaha"

Hell, give us loving space alien 9/11 instead of whatever they gave us. Make it so the government shoots down a flying saucer full of space babies or something, idk.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2016

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

Honestly I can't believe they didn't make that guy evil or at the very least a dupe. Or at the very lest someone with their own agenda. Like, who gets helicopter rich off of youtube videos?

Alex Jones.

Maybe not helicopter rich, but pretty drat close.

Even more reason for the guy to be as much a shitheel as the conspirators.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Old Boot posted:

Alex Jones.

Maybe not helicopter rich, but pretty drat close.

Even more reason for the guy to be as much a shitheel as the conspirators.

It says on some website that Alex Jones is worth like $5 million. That is not helicopter rich, IMO

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It was so bad the cast and crew had t-shirts made up that said "I survived Teso Dos Bitchos." Darrin Morgan still wears his.

When you hear them talk about it, the concept isn't bad, but the execution got all hosed and it ended up being silly as hell.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My Q-Face posted:

Even the new stuff is a bit. The Anthrax Vaccine stuff? The Anthrax scare was manufactured (the Anthrax that "got loose" came from a Govt. lab) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense mandated that all service members (close to one million of them) get the vaccine and all the required booster shots, to the tune of billions of dollars. The thing is, a lot of the people involved in that decision who worked at the OSD at the time are now sitting on the board or are officers in the only company that makes that particular vaccine. :tinfoil:

I got deployed in the middle of the anthrax series so they had to start over because it had been too long. Then the second time they stopped because I was told the lab that made it failed a health inspection and got shut down. So, yeah, cool, I got part of the anthrax series twice.

E: I'm watching Duane Barry now. Red Speedo! I didn't remember it's origins.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ascension is really, really good. Loving watching Skinner go from being a dickhead to a total badass. That part of it is making me angry at how underutilized he was in the event series. I'm having so much fun with this rewatch. The grocery store scene in Duane Barry was one of my favorites and I had totally forgotten about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Duane Berry/Ascension is probably my favorite two parter of the whole series. So much good stuff, even little things like the Nick Cave song playing while Duane is driving. Apparently, Duchovny did all of his own stunts in that one, too.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

wait i'm only rewatching now but i'm a mental nick cave fan, what song. i need to get on this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Red Right Hand. I'm pretty sure it's still in the Netflix version.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Red Right Hand. I'm pretty sure it's still in the Netflix version.

It is, I just watched it a few days ago.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also in the Songs in the Key of X cd there are two hidden Nick Cave tracks along with Red Right Hand
Their cover of the X Files theme is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYyA1Mc3KZM

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbpto0BTYQ

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Oh yeah Time Iesum Transeuntum et non Revernedum is sick

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Duane Berry/Ascension is probably my favorite two parter of the whole series. So much good stuff, even little things like the Nick Cave song playing while Duane is driving. Apparently, Duchovny did all of his own stunts in that one, too.

The ending to Duane Berry is still one of the more intense/disturbing moments of the series. That moment when he's looking through her window. :stare:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

YOU CALLIN DUANE BERRY A LIAR?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

68k posted:

YOU CALLIN DUANE BERRY A LIAR?

Whoever did casting for the series was really good at their job. There's so many great MOTW performances and the dude who played Duane Berry nailed it. Coming right after Tony Todd who was excellent in Sleepless, too.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Whoever did casting for the series was really good at their job. There's so many great MOTW performances and the dude who played Duane Berry nailed it. Coming right after Tony Todd who was excellent in Sleepless, too.

Tony Todd always owns. Even in all the terrible movies he does.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rewatching a lot of the mytharc stuff over the last few months, I realized that Duane Barry/Ascension is really the last time there's an alien episode that covers the "typical" alien abduction mythology (missing time, repeat abductions, implants, drills, medical tests, etc.) before the show starts to make up its own stuff. I think in The X-Files Files, Darrin Morgan even talked about how the pilot, this two-parter, and Jose Chung are the only episodes that really follow the "standard" abduction tropes.

I also think Duane Barry is the episode that first shows the typical X-Files UFO interior (red criss-cross table thing) that constantly keeps coming up, too (it's in Jose Chung, the Mulder abduction episodes, at least a few others).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was especially amused to see it come back in Mulder's mushroom trip.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Skinner is shirtless and beating up Krycek and I guess I have a man-crush on him now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish he was my dad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chairman Capone posted:

Rewatching a lot of the mytharc stuff over the last few months, I realized that Duane Barry/Ascension is really the last time there's an alien episode that covers the "typical" alien abduction mythology (missing time, repeat abductions, implants, drills, medical tests, etc.) before the show starts to make up its own stuff. I think in The X-Files Files, Darrin Morgan even talked about how the pilot, this two-parter, and Jose Chung are the only episodes that really follow the "standard" abduction tropes.

I also think Duane Barry is the episode that first shows the typical X-Files UFO interior (red criss-cross table thing) that constantly keeps coming up, too (it's in Jose Chung, the Mulder abduction episodes, at least a few others).

Don't forget the Max Fenig episodes.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
But Max Fenig was being hunted by The Predator.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I've been watching through the whole series with my wife again, never watched the last 2 seasons before and now I don't regret it, the late mytharc stuff is really tedious, but there have been a couple of gems. Really liked the episode where Doggett is in Mexico robbed of his memory, and the weird Boston subway episode was cool, along with Jane Lynch encasing Reyes in a web.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I wish he was my dad.

I don't usually say this but same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Skinner is Mulder's favorite dad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mange Mite posted:

Not like silly 9/11 stuff but actual things like using computers to model behavior and even select people for killing, torture, mind control through media, etc.

Person of Interest is a pretty good show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I need a sitcom spinoff starring Steve & Edy from X-Cops.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Overall, I'm disappointed. The middle episodes (2-5) were good - especially the episode where the green creature turns into a man; man, that was a good episode - but the first and last episodes were just ... bad. Everything was off; everything felt off - script, characters, acting.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I enjoyed every episode for the most part. The first/last were definitely weaker but not that I felt my time was wasted. I really hope we get more, they do so much right and it feels like the show belongs. I have never been able to get into all the other shows that try and ape parts of this. Mulder and Scully are just too familiar.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Philthy posted:

I enjoyed every episode for the most part. The first/last were definitely weaker but not that I felt my time was wasted. I really hope we get more, they do so much right and it feels like the show belongs. I have never been able to get into all the other shows that try and ape parts of this. Mulder and Scully are just too familiar.

I think one could argue that the shell of a decent X-Files story is in there, it was just rushed and handled with ham fisted hand-waving. Everything could have been acceptable with more warmup time. I mean let's face it - the original myth arc was dumb. By telling it slowly it was easier to swallow. Leaps of logic in a story as complicated as this feels forced and fake. There's no time to get bought into it.

This is like the difference between slowly disgesting your average comic book story versus explaining it to your brother's fiance at thanksgiving dinner.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Can of Cloud posted:

Overall, I'm disappointed. The middle episodes (2-5) were good - especially the episode where the green creature turns into a man; man, that was a good episode - but the first and last episodes were just ... bad. Everything was off; everything felt off - script, characters, acting.

Episode 5 was not good, it was history's greatest monster.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A hypothetical season 11 with more than six episodes would give the New Mytharc episodes more room to breathe. Both 'My Struggle' episodes felt like two-parters hastily condensed into single episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I've watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man half a dozen times because it's great, but I only just noticed that towards the end when CSM is picking up the magazine that contains his story, there's another publication titled End Credits with the feature 'Where the Hell is Darin Morgan'. :aaa:

• Locked thread