Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

On an unrelated note, is this finally going to be the block where sorin actually does something

Brooding is something! :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm pretty sure this is the block where Sorin gets into a scuffle with Nahiri.

Also that playmat art's card is going to be Sorin brooding about Nahiri hating him and he's really upset about it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
When they printed lotus cobra as a format defining mana dork in the block following the introduction of mythic rarity they already went down the path of 'mythic is another way to control the cost of a format and enforce the lotto aspect of opening packs' so I don't get why anyone is surprised by this card.

Seems fun and flavorful as hell which is about all I was want and expect from innistrad.

Set looks a lot more like a return to what made the set good than loving zendikar.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Well let's look at the options here:

1. Print this at mythic, because it's a recurring creature that can also block and is also a pretty powerful reanimation spell in limited.

2. Print it at rare because it "doesn't feel mythic". Judging by the community reactions to every single mythic ever, "doesn't feel mythic" applies to anything that's not a planeswalker. Limited becomes almost as unfun as playing against Pack Rat, because decks become grindy games of bringing back zombies over and over.

3. Don't print the card at all, severely limiting what R&D can push out because if a card needs to be mythic but doesn't "feel mythic" then it can't be printed.

Firstly, this card is nowhere near as bad for limited as Pack Rat.

Secondly, I'm sure there will be absolutely no way you can exile this guy rather than letting him die in combat.

Thirdly, you need the mana at the moment he dies, which means any removal could answer him if timed anyway.

Would I like to go against it in limited? No, but I also didn't like playing against Elite Scaleguard, or Rolling Thunder.

E; ^^^^^ and people were rightly upset by that too. Part of it or the growth of the game, but back in Morrison Chrome Mox topped out at $25 or so, and it was 15 more expensive than the next card. The game keeps getting more expensive, and not only are WotC not doing anything to bring it down, they're pushing it up.

I do think Comet Storm is a mythic feeling card, BTW. (it just shouldn't be one in a :10bux: pack)

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 4, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

I find it really disingenuous to just call it a bear at mythic since you know, it has other text that's pretty good

Gonna blow your mind, it's a 2/2 for two mana, like grizzly bears.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

Set looks a lot more like a return to what made the set good than loving zendikar.

I have no idea what you're talking about, Zendikar was clearly dull and boring until the Eldrazi showed up. :haw:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I think the "Feels Mythic" argument is really just that Mythic should be reserved for cards that represent an epic part of the story/legendary creature/planeswalker.

Fair argument but then Mythic Rarity becomes the EDH/Junk/Planeswalker rarity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Gonna blow your mind, it's a 2/2 for two mana, like grizzly bears.

you know what i mean idiot

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think the "Feels Mythic" argument is really just that Mythic should be reserved for cards that represent an epic part of the story/legendary creature/planeswalker.

Fair argument but then Mythic Rarity becomes the EDH/Junk/Planeswalker rarity.

Everybody would be okay with this.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The Shortest Path posted:

Everybody would be okay with this.

I would be too except for when I opened a Mythic. I actually would just like it if they did away with the Mythic Rarity or just made it a ceremonial rarity and Mythics showed up as often as normal Rares.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
People forget that sets used to have a lot more rares in them, so the odds of a given rare were close to those for a mythic now.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, it's finally Risen Executioner's time to shine!

Looks like it jumped up 2bux since yesterday

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Lol I wish I could short this card.

It's still going to be overcosted poo poo

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't wait for Zombies to be a $150+ dollar T2 deck this standard.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ThePeavstenator posted:

I would be too except for when I opened a Mythic.

You would open a junk mythic half as often as you already open that same junk rare at rare.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Whats the rarity on the madness bolt, cos even if I dont get the youths If its at common BR madness aggro is gonna be bonkers.

Also

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yep, along with Fleshbag Marauder.

:captainpop:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The bear is fine but possibly questionable at mythic bit the actual problem is that there will be more than one card in the set that fits that, I'm sure.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Just wanted to point out that this is a 7/7 flyer with sword hands. This is Geralf's attempt to create a stitched version of Griselbrand.

He even reanimates himself :3

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I can't wait for Zombies to be a $150+ dollar T2 deck this standard.

This. I thinking it will be like Goblin Piledriver, where it looked like that deck was going to appear in standard and then nothing didn't really happen.

Then again, we will probably have actual zombies in this block so I'll probably be wrong about that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Like either the card is good and will be a too-expensive bear, or its bad (or doesn't fit in right) and then it's a trash mythic that isn't even big and goofy and fun to play

It's not a crime or whatever but it happens too much!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fiend Computer posted:

This. I thinking it will be like Goblin Piledriver, where it looked like that deck was going to appear in standard and then nothing didn't really happen.

Then again, we will probably have actual zombies in this block so I'll probably be wrong about that.

There will be Zombies in the block. Whether they're good enough to make the deck even close to a thing won't matter until like 2 weeks after Release day because people are stupid and them trying to force the deck is going to inflate cards.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Zombie Griselbrand will be my pet deck this standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So far we've had 7 cards posted plus the alleged Fat Delver. If Clip Wings is a Cathedral card (seems likely considering the leak was a giant card like with Relentless Dead) there are probably three more spoilers (two vampire themed ones from the manor and something from the cathedral).

e: a cheap mythic that can only possibly go in one very specific deck (heavily black zombies) seems a lot less offensive to me than eg a planeswalker that will go in every on-color deck, to me

e2: revealed so far (brackets aren't up on the website yet but seem likely):
Stitcher's Lab: Brain in a Jar, Pick the Brain, Geralf's Masterpiece, (Aberrant Researcher)
Markov Manor (the art is on Structural Distortion): Incorrigible Youths, (Heir of Falkenwrath), ???
Thraben Cathedral: Relentless Dead, (Bygone Bishop), (Clip Wings?), ???

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 4, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I can't wait for the UB Jace to be spoiled.

Hopefully it's not garbage

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

It seems like the kind of card you run 2-3 copies of, but not the full four

This card is really good with copies of this card in the graveyard so I disagree

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also remember that rares and mythics sometimes get bumped up or down in rarity during development just because they ran out of slots in one of the tiers.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I think it's time to bring this image out again.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thisuck posted:

This was funnier than it had any right to be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thisuck posted:

:eyepop:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I shitpost too much

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 4, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Why the gently caress would they not cover Grand Prix DC? That's one of the events I'd actually want to watch! Team Sealed is sweet.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

I'm excited to be back on a plane with cool hats everywhere.

I'm very much looking forward to the return of Hat Draft.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some people have reported seeing this card in a puzzle room:

quote:

Shard of Broken Glass (1)
Artifact-Equipment
Equip-1
Equipped creature gets +1/+0, when it attacks you may put the top 2 cards of you library into your graveyard.
Casting a spell that creates a literal piece of broken window appeals to me as a player

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

Why the gently caress would they not cover Grand Prix DC? That's one of the events I'd actually want to watch! Team Sealed is sweet.

They want to cover the formats people actually play rather than the format that's actually fun to watch coverage of.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the block where Sorin gets into a scuffle with Nahiri.

Also that playmat art's card is going to be Sorin brooding about Nahiri hating him and he's really upset about it.

See also playmat on last page that shows a bunch of vampires embedded in stone.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Some people have reported seeing this card in a puzzle room:

Casting a spell that creates a literal piece of broken window appeals to me as a player

A bonesaw that enables silly GY stuff?

I mean, I guess...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i could see it helping as a delirium trigger

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jscolon2.0 posted:

See also playmat on last page that shows a bunch of vampires embedded in stone.

That's what I was referring to.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

I'm cackling madly irl

Oh wait I'm crying

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I finally had a chance to look at the map thing on the Wizards website and I actually think it is really neat.

Markov Manor being blown the hell up and floating around seems super cool, and it makes me wonder if these locations on the map will be the land cards with abilities for this set.

The link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/innistradmap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Kunzelman posted:

I finally had a chance to look at the map thing on the Wizards website and I actually think it is really neat.

Markov Manor being blown the hell up and floating around seems super cool, and it makes me wonder if these locations on the map will be the land cards with abilities for this set.

The link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/innistradmap

A small cycle of legendary lands would be pretty cool. They could be an obvious setup for a legendary moon manland in Eldritch Moon.

• Locked thread