Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Section Z posted:

"Didn't google how this new Agility thing works? Have fun with your 5 Invincibility frames during a fast roll on your Warrior start! Yes we know the lowest possible I frames in DS1 is 9, what's your point?"

Meanwhile , you readily kill the gargoyles with a +0 mace or something, because enemies take hits like a bitch just as much as you do now half the time. I swear it feels like they missplaced a decimal point on damage dished out by both enemies and yourself. "Oh, a giant spider? I better be fancy bring a +3 weapon I guess."

i think this is the first time i've ever seen someone complain that enemies weren't damage spongey enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
+0 weapons not being trash is actually a good change, because it means you can see if you like the new stuff you find without having to dump a bunch of resources in it.

Nuebot posted:

The biggest "Gotcha!" of this is that in Dark Souls 1 hitting a chest was the fastest way to determine if it was a mimic or not because you couldn't break chests in that game! So Dark Souls 2 comes around, people who hadn't been informing themselves of changes and wanted to go in blind hit a chest with their fancy great sword. Chest breaks, item becomes trash. Now you have to learn how to tell a mimic from a chest like a sucker.

You can actually hit chests a few times, depending on how hard your weapon hits. So unless you're wearing that one ring, you can just punch it. I could usually get a few swings in with a dex build, too. It's just a completely pointless gently caress you. Mimics are now more inconvenient, but not harder or more interesting.

The better troll is that they changed the mimic's grab to have a 360 degree radius. Standing next to an emerging mimic's foot actually teleports you into its mouth. There's no animation to even justify it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

i think this is the first time i've ever seen someone complain that enemies weren't damage spongey enough

Eh, I'm not exactly what you would call "Good" and I never got around to beating it. But coming off a fresh first time playthrough of DS1 and into DS2, what stuff I did go through felt like rocket tag was the primary change in difficulty.

I know farther down the line enemies are even more spongey, especially if you go after the DLC or optional dragon. But the fact remains even my mediocre rear end could crush a good amount of early bosses without bothering to upgrade my weapons, and I went into giant spider with all of a +3 weapon because I had heard they were a complete bitch. Thank you, NPC summons keeping most of the small spiders off my back long enough to get through it the first try.

"Okay, even after investing in more health and armor, if I get hit more than once, MAYBE twice in a row between heals, I'm basically hosed. However, I have a +0 Mace, so this Flexile Sentry/Snake Lady/Scorpion Lady/Gargoyles/Giant Spider are hosed as well."

Speaking of spiders! Remember the super scope? Well, "Metal Combat: Falcon's revenge" was actually pretty sweet. One of the gimmicks of the short lived series was blowing bits off your enemy. Either to watch them try to fight you as nothing but a torso laying on the ground, or hoping for that sweet weakspot fast kill.

There was a spider robot boss that fired a big ol charge shot from a hatch that opened on it's back. So you shoot the obvious glowing weakspot right? Well if you do, they flip the gently caress out over losing their "weak spot" and start spinning wildly shooting nonstop, instead of the usual pattern of slower shots to snipe down. Not a bad bit of expectations fuckery, for a super scope game.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Feb 2, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

+0 weapons not being trash is actually a good change, because it means you can see if you like the new stuff you find without having to dump a bunch of resources in it.

You can actually hit chests a few times, depending on how hard your weapon hits. So unless you're wearing that one ring, you can just punch it. I could usually get a few swings in with a dex build, too. It's just a completely pointless gently caress you. Mimics are now more inconvenient, but not harder or more interesting.

The better troll is that they changed the mimic's grab to have a 360 degree radius. Standing next to an emerging mimic's foot actually teleports you into its mouth. There's no animation to even justify it.

Grabbing in general in 2 is really hosed, there are a few writeups about why exactly it's so messed up. But pretty much all of them will teleport you right back into it. Which is another great one, getting that stupid fat ogre thing in the intro area down to like a tiny sliver of the health, dodge its grab attack then just get teleported right back in and die.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/264t6s/the_actual_truth_about_hitboxes

The hitboxes were perfectly functional.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Section Z posted:

Eh, I'm not exactly what you would call "Good" and I never got around to beating it. But coming off a fresh first time playthrough of DS1 and into DS2, what stuff I did go through felt like rocket tag was the primary change in difficulty.

I know farther down the line enemies are even more spongey, especially if you go after the DLC or optional dragon. But the fact remains even my mediocre rear end could crush a good amount of early bosses without bothering to upgrade my weapons, and I went into giant spider with all of a +3 weapon because I had heard they were a complete bitch. Thank you, NPC summons keeping most of the small spiders off my back long enough to get through it the first try.

"Okay, even after investing in more health and armor, if I get hit more than once, MAYBE twice in a row between heals, I'm basically hosed. However, I have a +0 Mace, so this Flexile Sentry/Snake Lady/Scorpion Lady/Gargoyles/Giant Spider are hosed as well."

Speaking of spiders! Remember the super scope? Well, "Metal Combat: Falcon's revenge" was actually pretty sweet. One of the gimmicks of the short lived series was blowing bits off your enemy. Either to watch them try to fight you as nothing but a torso laying on the ground, or hoping for that sweet weakspot fast kill.

There was a spider robot boss that fired a big ol charge shot from a hatch that opened on it's back. So you shoot the obvious glowing weakspot right? Well if you do, they flip the gently caress out over losing their "weak spot" and start spinning wildly shooting nonstop, instead of the usual pattern of slower shots to snipe down. Not a bad bit of expectations fuckery, for a super scope game.

A mace will gently caress up scorpion lady, giant spider and I assume the gargs because crush damage is out and out the best type of damage in almost every situation. Snake lady just didn't have a lot of health, IIRC, because she had the idiotic poison gimmick. So if you were actually using a mace, that's probably why. It helps coming from 1, too.

A Well Designed Enemy

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Soulsborne is my favorite series of games ever and I abhor Dark Souls 2. I can't imagine why anyone would defend it. It has all the problems people accused Demon's and Dark 1 of having (artificial difficulty!) when they didn't, and for some reason there are people who defend it. Yes - the quality of life improvements with the interface are better but that's literally it. Everything about the game, the story and the gameplay is TERRIBLE. While not as bad as Lords of the Fallen - it has the same problem - it feels like a Souls game done by someone who didn't quite "get it."

Demon's/Dark 1/Bloodborne are all difficult in their own ways, but they are very rarely utter bullshit like Dark 2 is. That whole page full of hitbox nonsense bears this out. Add in enemies on turntables and it just gets worse and worse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wow, snapping to grabs, hitboxes far wider than the graphics, and enemies hitting on wind-up. It's a smorgasbord of ways to make a game less fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah that's a pretty good summary of DS2.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

git gud scrublord

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HaB posted:

Soulsborne is my favorite series of games ever and I abhor Dark Souls 2. I can't imagine why anyone would defend it. It has all the problems people accused Demon's and Dark 1 of having (artificial difficulty!) when they didn't, and for some reason there are people who defend it. Yes - the quality of life improvements with the interface are better but that's literally it. Everything about the game, the story and the gameplay is TERRIBLE. While not as bad as Lords of the Fallen - it has the same problem - it feels like a Souls game done by someone who didn't quite "get it."

Demon's/Dark 1/Bloodborne are all difficult in their own ways, but they are very rarely utter bullshit like Dark 2 is. That whole page full of hitbox nonsense bears this out. Add in enemies on turntables and it just gets worse and worse.

Random aside, but should I get a game controller to play my copy of Dark Souls? It's awful playing that game on PC with keyboard and mouse and I sold my old Xbox 360 and controllers a while ago.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You should yeah. I got a Logitech F310 and it's worked like a dream for years.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Random aside, but should I get a game controller to play my copy of Dark Souls? It's awful playing that game on PC with keyboard and mouse and I sold my old Xbox 360 and controllers a while ago.

Yes. KB+M unmodded Dark Souls is what they make you play in Hell

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

pro players use a racing wheel

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alaois posted:

pro players use a racing wheel

Dreamcast fishing controller.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws

KozmoNaut posted:

Dreamcast fishing controller.

Bongo drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdWWhZ0hDM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I concede victory on that one. drat.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTZiK5GNi0

There's also guitar hero, drumset, voice controlled and a few other insane O&S kills

Psychedelicatessen has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Mar 4, 2016

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
For some reason I liked Dark Souls 2, But drat that game was a letdown compared to DS 1. It was like the devs went "You know all those things you loved about DS1, well gently caress you, we made them worse. By the way we fixed most of the small annoying things from DS1" :confused: .

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spergminer posted:

Feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTZiK5GNi0

There's also guitar hero, drumset, voice controlled and a few other insane O&S kills

Next one-up will be using a fleshlight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark souls 2 is my favorite of the souls games + bloodborne. From software is pretty weird in that there's no telling what they'll decide to bother improving between games, so they have no problem repeating flaws or regressing to ones they already fixed. This means each game out of the four does something better than any of the others, and something worse than any of the others. Which game ends up being your favorite will come down to how much its good points matter to you vs. how much its bad points bother you.

Performance and quality of life are hugely important to me so dark souls 2 comes out ahead. Going "forward" to bloodborne's stuttering frame rate, its abomination of a camera, and its pile of strange regressions like removing the ability to dodge in all directions bothered me much more than those problems did in other games, because they already improved those issues in dark souls 2 but then just threw them away. Bloodborne has the best atmosphere and art direction compared to the souls games, in addition to a bunch of other things it does well, but its flaws are really frustrating.

In dark souls 2 I was able to do a coordinated coop run with a buddy from start to finish with completely reliable connection and low lag, waiting less than 30 seconds to see each other's summon signs every time. None of the other games have made that as painless as dark souls 2.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
He does bigger. Rock Band Drums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02my_zhX4Bs

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My entire first play through of Dark Souls was with keyboard and mouse. It works just fine once you get used to it, though I remember learning how to consistently jump attack was a pain in the rear end.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You get a club, that's how.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Digirat posted:

In dark souls 2 I was able to do a coordinated coop run with a buddy from start to finish with completely reliable connection and low lag, waiting less than 30 seconds to see each other's summon signs every time. None of the other games have made that as painless as dark souls 2.

See, that didn't work for me.

Because my account got permanently softbanned because I'd installed DS2Fix (a fanmade patch that prevented hackers from dropping hacked items that would corrupt your character save or entering and crashing your game with hacked character names). You know, the fix made by the same guy who made DSFix, the patch that pretty much singlehandely made the PC version of DS1 playable for PC players.

So within the first couple of days of playing DS2 - poof, pretty much no co-op/invasions for me. And it doesn't matter that I've removed the offending mod or anything, the account's permanently softbanned.

Incidentally, the same thing can happen if you use certain graphic enhancing mods, or mods that change your controller deadzone to resemble that of Dark Souls 1, or a video-capture mod.

FROM can suck my dick.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This one is a famous troll, but I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread. Final Fantasy 12's Zodiac Spear.

The Zodiac Spear in that game is the single most powerful weapon available. How do you obtain it? Well... There's an easy way to get one and a hard way to get one, but the easy way involves a convoluted method you would never guess if you didn't read a guide. There's four arbitrary treasure chests in the game that must not be opened, and there's no indication of them being special. You can bump into the first one in less than an hour into the game. 3/4 are all encountered very early, but the 4th is hiding in an area 10+ hours after them. If you successfully avoid all 4 chests, the spear will appear in an optional dungeon halfway through the game.

So, what happens if you bungle that but still want to obtain it? It can be found in a randomly spawning treasure chest in a much, much later optional dungeon. The odds of the chest spawning and containing the Zodiac Spear? 1 in 1000.

Keep in mind that Final Fantasy 12 is a very long, very dense game packed with nasty optional dungeons and boss fights. Anything that gives an edge is a big help, but most players will throw away their chance at getting the best weapon in the first hour of the game without even knowing it. This looks too complicated to be done by accident, so I'm betting it was either a "social experiment" or an attempt to push players to look at guides.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mizuti posted:

This one is a famous troll, but I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread. Final Fantasy 12's Zodiac Spear.

The Zodiac Spear in that game is the single most powerful weapon available. How do you obtain it? Well... There's an easy way to get one and a hard way to get one, but the easy way involves a convoluted method you would never guess if you didn't read a guide. There's four arbitrary treasure chests in the game that must not be opened, and there's no indication of them being special. You can bump into the first one in less than an hour into the game. 3/4 are all encountered very early, but the 4th is hiding in an area 10+ hours after them. If you successfully avoid all 4 chests, the spear will appear in an optional dungeon halfway through the game.

So, what happens if you bungle that but still want to obtain it? It can be found in a randomly spawning treasure chest in a much, much later optional dungeon. The odds of the chest spawning and containing the Zodiac Spear? 1 in 1000.

Keep in mind that Final Fantasy 12 is a very long, very dense game packed with nasty optional dungeons and boss fights. Anything that gives an edge is a big help, but most players will throw away their chance at getting the best weapon in the first hour of the game without even knowing it. This looks too complicated to be done by accident, so I'm betting it was either a "social experiment" or an attempt to push players to look at guides.

Some of the "do not open" chests are randomly selected in rooms with nearly a dozen chests, so you miss out on more than just four chests worth of stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soul Reaver posted:

Because my account got permanently softbanned because I'd installed DS2Fix (a fanmade patch that prevented hackers from dropping hacked items that would corrupt your character save or entering and crashing your game with hacked character names). You know, the fix made by the same guy who made DSFix, the patch that pretty much singlehandely made the PC version of DS1 playable for PC players.

So within the first couple of days of playing DS2 - poof, pretty much no co-op/invasions for me. And it doesn't matter that I've removed the offending mod or anything, the account's permanently softbanned.

Incidentally, the same thing can happen if you use certain graphic enhancing mods, or mods that change your controller deadzone to resemble that of Dark Souls 1, or a video-capture mod.

FROM can suck my dick.

You used third party software at your own risk and got (soft)banned for it, what a game dev troll :geno:

It doesn't matter if the program is "benign", there's not really a way for the developer to detect that and even the people who make those fixes tell you to use them at your own risk. It sucks but you can hardly blame FromSoft for this one.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Soul Reaver posted:

FROM can suck my dick.

:qq: But my third party mods for this multiplayer game are okay! :qq:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

indeed, it's extremely illegal to use a patch to prevent save-game corruption and those who do deserve no mercy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No the dark souls 2 softban situation is terrible do not defend it. There is utterly no communication about it when it happens to you, so you have no explanation of when and why, and it took a long time to even be confirmed as a thing that happens in the game. The only way to know if you've been softbanned is to ask directly, which is bad because it both invites namco to look at your account and softban you if they see such ~illicit activity~ as a deadzone fixer, and comes with the implication of "why would they be asking if they didn't do anything wrong." There is also no known list of things that are considered bad enough to get you softbanned, and I even read speculation that loving OBS and other recording software could cause it, which I haven't confirmed but it wouldn't surprise me because they softban for some really stupid poo poo. Whether they do or not, we shouldn't have to guess.

If it happens to you there is no way to get it reversed through namco. The resident hacker in the dark souls 2 thread could explain it better than me but due to the way it works, you can use a mod to keep a hacker from ruining your game and then get softbanned for it, while the hacker will get away completely free. I have had my soul memory ruined by hackers on two separate occasions, so when they can get away with no danger but any attempts I make to automatically prevent things like that from happening will risk preventing me from ever being able to play online again, there is a loving problem.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No one is defending softbanning as a practice, but if you use third party software that's against the EULA on your own risk at get banned for it's it's your own loving problem.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

indeed, it's extremely illegal to use a patch to prevent save-game corruption and those who do deserve no mercy

:psyboom:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

No one is defending softbanning as a practice, but if you use third party software that's against the EULA on your own risk at get banned for it's it's your own loving problem.

Similarly, if you fall for any other terrible design decision in this thread it's also your own loving problem. This entire thread is a honeypot for people bad at video games.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gabriel Pope posted:

people bad at video games.

I am here

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

:qq: But my third party mods for this multiplayer game are okay! :qq:

If they give literally no advantage over other players and only prevent actual cheaters from griefing my game? Yeah, I'd say that's ok by any reasonable standards. I would, in fact, gladly play any and all multiplayer games where literally every person was using a third party mod of this nature without any complaint.

Your Computer posted:

Not something I'd deny at this point, but I'd say it's what would be referred to as 'an honest mistake', considering DSFix didn't cause any problems and I play heaps of modded games. I don't play many multiplayer games, but the few I do play do not ban player accounts for using mods. The creator of DS2Fix (after reports started coming out that it might be causing bans) also wrote a big scree of text about why it couldn't possibly be getting people banned - it was only after this fact, and a lot of digging on my part, that I actually got official confirmation from Namco Bandai that DS2Fix DOES in fact get people banned, meaning that scree of text is obviously incorrect.

I removed the mod months ago. I started a new character too and deleted my old one. Literally no harm was done to anyone, so by any reasonable stretch of the imagination it shouldn't be a big ask for me to want my softban removed - heck, I'd happily submit to them re-testing my account every time I play if they're that worried about it.

Too bad that there's no review or appeals process!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soul Reaver posted:

If they give literally no advantage over other players and only prevent actual cheaters from griefing my game? Yeah, I'd say that's ok by any reasonable standards. I would, in fact, gladly play any and all multiplayer games where literally every person was using a third party mod of this nature without any complaint.

Not something I'd deny at this point, but I'd say it's what would be referred to as 'an honest mistake', considering DSFix didn't cause any problems and I play heaps of modded games. I don't play many multiplayer games, but the few I do play do not ban player accounts for using mods. The creator of DS2Fix (after reports started coming out that it might be causing bans) also wrote a big scree of text about why it couldn't possibly be getting people banned - it was only after this fact, and a lot of digging on my part, that I actually got official confirmation from Namco Bandai that DS2Fix DOES in fact get people banned, meaning that scree of text is obviously incorrect.

I removed the mod months ago. I started a new character too and deleted my old one. Literally no harm was done to anyone, so by any reasonable stretch of the imagination it shouldn't be a big ask for me to want my softban removed - heck, I'd happily submit to them re-testing my account every time I play if they're that worried about it.

Bolded part: that costs them money, and they already got all the money out of you they're going to, so why would they spend money to get no more money out of you.

The answer to everyone's complaints about companies that treat their customers like poo poo is to stop giving those companies money. It's like I heard a lot of talk this week about some JRPG that was ported over to the PC, worked like poo poo, and then some independent dude wrote a fix for it and made it work. The cry of "They should hire this guy!!!!!11!!!shift+1" was heard all over the internet, with the refrain from anyone who understands anything about commerce being "he's already doing their job for them, for free, why the gently caress would they pay him for something they can get for nothing?"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Soul Reaver posted:

It wasn't an honest mistake though, that's the thing. You knew you were installing a third party mod. By definition not something made or approved by the company running the game. What did you think was going to happen?

E: to be clear, the lack of ability to appeal it is really dumb, I completely agree with that part.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It wasn't an honest mistake though, that's the thing. You knew you were installing a third party mod. By definition not something made or approved by the company running the game. What did you think was going to happen?

E: to be clear, the lack of ability to appeal it is really dumb, I completely agree with that part.

Same thing that happened with every previous mod I'd ever installed for every game I ever modded - ie, game runs perfectly fine with the mod installed, with all the bufixes etc of the mod intact? And if you want to remove the mod, you can do so?

Like I said, I don't play a lot of multiplayer games, so the whole concept of permanently banning people for using them is foreign to me. The main games I played online were Dark Souls (lets you mod to your hearts content), Dawn of War (lets you play with whatever mods you want, as long as the other player is using the same setup) and Warcraft 3/Starcraft (if you count custom maps as mods). None of these banned people for using mods.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Most games have less severe punishments for hacking/aimbotting/etc, so a perma softban is kind of unexpected. It's make more sense to Have a pop up explaining that you've been suspended for a week first or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is it even an issue? I played the hell out of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Scholar without any DSFix or whatever and never had anyone corrupt my save or crash it with a hacked name. Maybe installing third party mods out of sheer paranoid is slightly crazy, especially when backing up your save is as easy as copy and paste.

Your Computer posted:

I will because I think it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure I managed to get one of my characters softbanned, I don't know. Though the way I heard it explained was that softbanning was on a per-character basis not a per-account.

• Locked thread