Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to defeat Truman. Chaos reigns.

-- Truman: 237
-- Dewey: 256
-- Thurmond: 38
-- Wallace/Other: 0
266 to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gerrit Smith: Abolition, land reform, and women's rights. What's not to love? Sounds like the perfect person to run Reconstruction after Birney's War.

E: He was personally friends with John Brown, maybe he could give him a cabinet post?

E2: Wait he wants to take away are booze and give the land back to Mexico. What a buffoon. Van Buren/Adams all the way!

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Feb 29, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Man the Liberty Party is weird this time around. Smith has some objectionable positions and we're one unfortunate accident away from that radical religious loon Foote at the helm. No thanks!

Feel the Buren!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wasn't Van Buren basically the 1800's equivalent of Karl Rove, except a bit easier on the eyes? I thought he was the shrew behind the corrupt bargain, right?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've got to give a shout-out to Nebakenezzer for linking this in the MilHist thread because I would have never found it otherwise. This is an amazing thread, and you're all tremendous posters :allears:

:nixon::hf::v: No Popery, gentlemen.

Speaking of, friends, I find myself without a cause to furiously champion this election. The only notable anti-papist comes to us with any number of bad habits such as temperance and religious instruction in schools, and I could no more invite him into my house than I could a family of Irish papists and their 17 squalling potato-children.

Carrasco posted:

"Maybe anti-Jacksonian or something" is good enough for me. TAYLOR! *smashes telegraph*

foobardog posted:

You fools! Will we make the same mistakes we've always made as we've tried to lead this country? Yes, there is an Adams, but we all know that our forefathers rebelled from England to get away from these dynasties. Let the children define themselves. With that said, if we attack the peculiar institution head on, we will continue to fail due to the machinations of the freemasons. You say that Taylor believes in nothing, I say he believes more heartedly in loving the South than Van Buren who merely wishes to isolate them and hope they come to their mind.

Foolish! I know the people of the South, I have family in the South. They will be pigheaded and stubborn until Judgement Day, and even then throughout eternity. Men who dehumanize men through slavery are no men, and dehumanize themselves more. They only know through war and pain and bloodshed. They do not respond to reason.

Hear them, my friends! Whilst ambulating round my land today, it seems to me the central issue concerning us is the candidates attitude toward the South. I must agree with the good foobardog in that van Buren is far too nice, far too diplomatic for my tastes. These are all useful traits, no doubt, but against an enclave that have chained themselves to slavery in a foolish attempt to preserve the wicked institution, it is Christian instinct wasted. Instead, let us rally round a man of action who may heave slavery into the sea, and laugh when the chained south is inevitably pulled in after it. It is only the anti-political Taylor who will act rightly without the slightest consideration of the consequences of action that can free us from this wretched institution. :911:Taylor/running mate '48!:911:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would actually be cool with most of these guys winning, I think this may be an actual first for american elections.

It's pretty cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Never since Henry Lee have we seen a man so boldly standing up for not standing for anything! Zachary Taylor is the man who can lead America! Van is a used-up man.

Is mixing and matching VPs still a thing we can do? Because I wouldn't mind getting another Adams in there.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SpRahl posted:

I am kinda curious just how many civil wars we have probably triggered with our goon elections.

All of them. The US would have probably just been in constant civil war since 1789 when we didn't vote in Washington.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Harold Stassen posted:

Sylvania means "wooded land", Pennsylvania = Penn's woods etc

Yep, but from looking it up, it doesn't seem to be named after anyone. I couldn't find any explanation, but my guess is it's based on the meaning of Transylvania, Romania, since the etymology is all fancy and Latinish.

quote:

Transylvania was first referred to in a Medieval Latin document in 1075 as ultra silvam, meaning "beyond the forest" (ultra meaning "beyond" or "on the far side of" and the accusative case of sylva (sylvam) "woods, forest"). Transylvania, with an alternative Latin prepositional prefix, means "on the other side of the woods".

foobardog posted:

All of them. The US would have probably just been in constant civil war since 1789 when we didn't vote in Washington.

We have always been at war with Confederasia.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SpRahl posted:

I am kinda curious just how many civil wars we have probably triggered with our goon elections.

Well we didn't vote Washington into office so probably just that first one, and America hasn't been a united country since.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I've mostly been assuming Washington died shortly before the election, throwing the country into chaos.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

Well we didn't vote Washington into office so probably just that first one, and America hasn't been a united country since.

Well I meant more each separate individual election we aren't running a continuous timeline, after all if we were clearly America would be a monarchy under the Adams Dynasty :v:.
I figure a civil war at least every other election is probably a safe bet.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

SpRahl posted:

Well I meant more each separate individual election we aren't running a continuous timeline, after all if we were clearly America would be a monarchy under the Adams Dynasty :v:.
I figure a civil war at least every other election is probably a safe bet.

At least if we got it out of the way early and settled the question of slavery before rifled cannons and rifled muskets and industrialization and poo poo, we might save a couple hundred thousand lives :shrug:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

transylvania was a name associated with the general kentucky area from when a land speculation company from north carolina got some treaties signed and wandered over the mountains and across the woods
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvania_Colony
maybe before then i dunno

also just wanna say washington was posh poor who made his money by being smart enough to learn how to survey, then finding the good indian land and telling his rich friends who to bribe to get it and taking his share

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

In fact, Smith believes that the Constitution is inherently an anti-slavery document. If elected, Smith hopes to confiscate property from various land monopolies and settle freed slaves across the United States, where they can thrive in their own communities. He has declared that all men “have an equal right to the soil,” thus making war brutal and unnecessary. Smith wants to return any territory unlawfully gotten from the Mexican-American War to Mexico. Smith has proposed several sweeping changes to the United States Government, which includes granting women the right to vote, outlawing all secret societies (like the Freemasons), and making all positions within government directly elected.

Sounds legit! I'm surprised that we're not voting for the guy who's for literal communism.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DrSunshine posted:

Sounds legit! I'm surprised that we're not voting for the guy who's for literal communism.

On one hand, communism. On the other, alcohol. Communism. Alcohol...

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

lambeth posted:

Yep, but from looking it up, it doesn't seem to be named after anyone. I couldn't find any explanation, but my guess is it's based on the meaning of Transylvania, Romania, since the etymology is all fancy and Latinish.

"transylvania" literally just means "on the other side of the woods", or thereabouts. The terms trans/cis get used in chemistry and sex/gender identity, but my favorite clear example is how the Romans referred to the region of Gaul: There was "Transalpine Gaul" and "Cisalpine Gaul", meaning pretty much exactly "Gaul on the other side of the Alps" and "Gaul on the same side of the Alps (as Rome)". I assume the Transylvania Colony was named partly because they looked at a giant forest and wanted a Latin name for it.

Apparently, the term "transylvania" was first applied to that part of Europe around the 12th century, after some other reference to "the land beyond the forest" (terra ultra silvam) earlier. Huh. Neat! Thank you for prompting me to learn that.

After a careful and brief consideration of the issues, I have decided to cast my vote for Gen. Taylor, as I feel what this union needs is a man with no positions that can be attacked. Furthermore, a deep, personal loathing between the President and Vice President was integral to the nature of federal government in the days of our founding forefathers, and we would do well to return to it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Thump! posted:

Wasn't Van Buren basically the 1800's equivalent of Karl Rove, except a bit easier on the eyes? I thought he was the shrew behind the corrupt bargain, right?

Martin Van Buren was a master legislator who gained prominence because he could both work the political system and appeal to voters. I guess you could consider him Karl Rove if Karl Rove was extremely charismatic and multi-lingual. In his lifetime, he was sometimes known as "the Little Magician" for his ability to work wonders in politics.

Van Buren never took part in the Corrupt Bargain. He, very accurately, predicted that the scheme would have massive blowback and instead kept his head down. When Jackson came back with a vengeance, Van Buren was in just the right place to ride Jackson's coattails into higher office.

Unfortunately, Jackson didn't really do him a lot of favors upon leaving office. In addition to making a lot of pledges that sapped his credibility in the North, Van Buren inherited a country that was suddenly starting to feel the effects of Jackson's presidency. The economy collapsed shortly after Van Buren's Inauguration. He faced dual crises in Maine and Texas. Stories about atrocities against the Native Americans flooded the press. Faced with these issues, the Little Magician apparently ran out of tricks. He was never able to get a handle on the Presidency itself. He has always been seen as a better legislator than an executive.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've got to give a shout-out to Nebakenezzer for linking this in the MilHist thread because I would have never found it otherwise. This is an amazing thread, and you're all tremendous posters :allears:

Also I can't wait for us to hit the 1870s so we can change the thread title to "If nominated I will not run, and if elected I will not serve"

I didn't know that people were advertising this thread outside YCS. Thanks, Nebakenezzer, for expanding the audience and thank you, Ace, for reading.

Soup du Jour posted:

I've mostly been assuming Washington died shortly before the election, throwing the country into chaos.

If you want to consider this a cohesive timeline, I've been considering the same. Washington came down with influenza shortly after he was elected. To avoid getting elected, he would either have to be dead or near-dead.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Mar 3, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Reposting the imgur version because that image owns too hard to be lost to photobucket's URL fuckery.
http://i.imgur.com/q9YdiFW.jpg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bitcoin bastard posted:

Reposting the imgur version because that image owns too hard to be lost to photobucket's URL fuckery.
http://i.imgur.com/q9YdiFW.jpg

Everybody can see it, though, right? (Don't know much, just picked photobucket one day.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nebakenezzer posted:

Everybody can see it, though, right? (Don't know much, just picked photobucket one day.)

We can all see it for now, but Photobucket tends to take down images that get too much traffic and images that are too old. Imgur is generally preferred on forums because pictures will last as long as Imgur lives.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

We can all see it for now, but Photobucket tends to take down images that get too much traffic and images that are too old. Imgur is generally preferred on forums because pictures will last as long as Imgur lives.

What he said plus if you try to load a photobucket .jpg in your browser without a referrer like these forums, it gets redirected into a lovely MEMEFACTORY website.

Double check your adblocker and give it a shot: http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o557/Horseformer/AI/voteyahogfucks.jpg

E: Well then, it really is checking referrers, copy/paste that URL to see what I was talking about, or don't.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Taylor sounds decent enough.

Also this is a pretty great thread. If there's no problem with making book recommendations relevant to the elections Chris DeRose 's The Presidents' War: Six American Presidents And The Civil War That Divided Them

It's a pretty interesting book focusing on how the ex-Presidents alive at the time (Buchanan, Tyler, Perice, Fillmore, and Van Buren) reacted to the Civil War (Hint: it wasn't well). Honestly it's morbidly funny to see how every single one of them opposed the Lincoln administration to various degrees. Perice, Fillmore, and Van Buren blamed abolitionists and Lincoln for "provoking" the South and worked through 1860/61 to try to work out a "compromise" (though after Fort Sumter Fillmore and Van Buren threw their reluctant support behind Lincoln), Buchanan cared more about his legacy then anything, and we all know that Tyler was literally treasonous.

The book has a few interesting anecdotes like Tyler's niece marrying a Union soldier who was camping near their plantation, and Buchanan's relationship with Ann Coleman being seriously tragic.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Voting Taylor/Comic Strip '48

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Would you vote for this comic strip?

I wouldn't.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

karmicknight posted:

Would you vote for this comic strip?

I wouldn't.

Did whathisname pick Fillmore for his politics, or because he could get an animal pun out of it?

I think it might be the latter

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Honestly, try to make a animal pun out of a sitting president's name - it's impossibly hard

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bearak Ollama

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Barat Oclama

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Swanald Trump

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Nebakenezzer posted:

Honestly, try to make a animal pun out of a sitting president's name - it's impossibly hard

You're misunderestimating the comedy superstars of Animal Nuz from Daily Kos:

colonel_korn posted:

<--MASTODONALD TRUMP

OK, maybe I'm giving them too many points for Bernese Sanders. Also a quick reminder that even though these period political cartoons are wordy and confusing, they are the apex of political art compared to modern political cartoons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

A duck named Bill Clinton.

A shrub named George.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

These are all good suggestions

It captures the pride aspect quite well, but implies Trump is pretty

I guess he is a big cock

fool_of_sound posted:

Bearak Ollama

Rocko Llama

Somebody call deep hurting, I want to see Obama as a Llama caricature

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

These are all good suggestions

It captures the pride aspect quite well, but implies Trump is pretty

I guess he is a big cock

Rocko Llama

Somebody call deep hurting, I want to see Obama as a Llama caricature

The google image search for Barack O'Llama took me to some strange places.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bullysses S. Grant is my vote.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Bullysses S. Grant is my vote.

on the subject reconstruction era is going to be just an unending stream of argument between 'lol grant was drunk and corrupt' and 'not really, that's mostly horseshit revisionism from the lost cause history movement'

i'm looking forward to it :tem:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just hope that, at the very least, we can all come together and elect Lincoln. I guess there weren't any wacky extra candidates or Adamses to split the anti-slavery vote, though. :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

I just hope that, at the very least, we can all come together and elect Lincoln. I guess there weren't any wacky extra candidates or Adamses to split the anti-slavery vote, though. :v:

depends on if op decides to throw all the plausible nominees for the republican party that election in

chaos reigns

team of rivals is a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

UberJew posted:

team of rivals is a good book

It's one of the books I'll be adding to the OP when we reach the Civil War.

Empress Theonora posted:

I did consider keeping the Liberty Party in the next few elections, but in the next few elections their support will plummet to a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

I had a similar problem in 1844. I really wanted to include the very deceased Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.

UberJew posted:

on the subject reconstruction era is going to be just an unending stream of argument between 'lol grant was drunk and corrupt' and 'not really, that's mostly horseshit revisionism from the lost cause history movement'

i'm looking forward to it :tem:

I'm really looking forward to see who goons vote for between Grover "probable rapist" Cleveland and James "nakedly corrupt" Blaine.

• Locked thread