Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

quote:

Gadgets are fun man. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially if it's on budget :shrug:. We're in software (you were, at least I don't know your current situation) and that probably means there's at least a small like of technology for most people in this profession. I wouldn't hate on someone who loves to hike buying a $400 tent, or a $200 pair of hiking boots or something. No reason to self-hate for liking tech stuff.

Just because you have a hobby doesn't mean you should just blank check new purchases to support the hobby. A $400 tent or $200 boots might be fine if you have completely worn out your previous tent and boots, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I would contend that you currently own the computer equivalent of a $400 tent and $200 boots, and you're just coming up with ways of justifying another $200 pair of boots you don't really need. I find it very hard to believe given your computer nerdiness that you can't cobble together a basic browsing / office machine from what you currently own.

quote:

Oh and plus I'm not renewing Prime, and I won't be paying for Gamepass this year, so that's $215 this year cut from entertainment, and we'll buy less stuff online so cool. I think this is a pretty moderate decision.
Yup good call.

quote:

My wife doesn't play PC games, so anything beyond a simple office machine that will browse the web and run Office is a waste. I bought her a little used office laptop as a gift out of my first paycheck at this job, but unfortunately that gave out, too.
Why can't she use your system? Why can't you just use your primary machine as a plex server?

quote:

- I'll see a therapist/psychiatrist by May 1st at the latest (:toxx: ok?). Please lay off until then. I'm in a good spot mentally right now anyway, so our finances are safe. This will give me the time I need to figure out my schedule and people I'll see. Hold me accountable on that date if you want. I won't compromise on the date though. It's comfortable enough for me to take my time.

I think that is a fine timeframe, but you should be aware that it can take 4+ weeks to see some doctors/therapists. If you want to see someone by the start of May, you should be attempting to make appointments by mid March. Note - you should already be budgeting for your therapy expenses right now. I think you can reasonably expect that even a moderate amount of therapy could cost $200 / month, start socking away money now.

quote:

- I'll probably hold off on the HTPC this month, unless I find a very good deal on eBay (I have a bunch of search notifications setup for good components at a cheap price). This isn't an "I can't live without it" thing right now. I have been wanting to save a good chunk of discretionary to roll forward for whatever. Thanks for the input.

This is not how you delay/avoid making purchases. There are always 'good deals' coming up all of the time. Best way to not spend money is to not shop at all.

---
I think this back and forth on the computer stuff is a good illustration that you still have some work to do. You *love* to spend money. Any chance you give yourself - the $400 discretionary this month - you just relish the opportunity to come up with ways of spending it. This is where good therapy and psychiatric care can be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I'd get rid of those search notifications. Can't splurge on the great deal you can't see. Then, once you've set up a budget goal, like $50 a month to a computer stuff discretionary account or whatever, and have $200 in there to play with, you can set them back up. SOMETHING tells me you won't have to wait that long to see a deal that works for future you, and in the meantime you won't have your willpower tested.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Old Greg posted:

I'd get rid of those search notifications. Can't splurge on the great deal you can't see. Then, once you've set up a budget goal, like $50 a month to a computer stuff discretionary account or whatever, and have $200 in there to play with, you can set them back up. SOMETHING tells me you won't have to wait that long to see a deal that works for future you, and in the meantime you won't have your willpower tested.
I did this. Cut my spending substantially. Feels good man.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

E: Woops - wrong spot

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

LG Smart tvs seem to play almost everything from a network DLNA server without the need for transcoding.

Definitely something I'd like to think about more down the line. Their OLED 4Ks are amazing. Something to consider post out-of-debt, and after our dog is taken care of, though.

n8r posted:

Just because you have a hobby doesn't mean you should just blank check new purchases to support the hobby. A $400 tent or $200 boots might be fine if you have completely worn out your previous tent and boots, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I would contend that you currently own the computer equivalent of a $400 tent and $200 boots, and you're just coming up with ways of justifying another $200 pair of boots you don't really need. I find it very hard to believe given your computer nerdiness that you can't cobble together a basic browsing / office machine from what you currently own.

I'm sure we could go back and forth on this, but I'd rather not. I don't have any components or anything, though. I'll usually give old hardware to a friend, but I had a laptop before the PC I gave my wife, which I had to get rid of (the chargers had an awful design flaw that would cause them to break in a few months).

n8r posted:

Why can't she use your system? Why can't you just use your primary machine as a plex server?

I've tried, but she's "afraid of touching my computer". Plex wise - I don't want my mechanical components to degrade by keeping the thing running 24/7 (plus we're probably talking +$20-30/mo to the power bill with my components, just based on the difference between not turning off my old PC vs turning it off when comparing the power bill). Plus it would be like a constant heater. A dedicated low-power (<100 watts) would be cheaper even with the up front cost. I can probably use it in the interim though, as long as I don't try to set it up like I would a real server.

n8r posted:

I think that is a fine timeframe, but you should be aware that it can take 4+ weeks to see some doctors/therapists. If you want to see someone by the start of May, you should be attempting to make appointments by mid March. Note - you should already be budgeting for your therapy expenses right now. I think you can reasonably expect that even a moderate amount of therapy could cost $200 / month, start socking away money now.

Yeah I'll start looking soon.

n8r posted:

I think this back and forth on the computer stuff is a good illustration that you still have some work to do. You *love* to spend money. Any chance you give yourself - the $400 discretionary this month - you just relish the opportunity to come up with ways of spending it. This is where good therapy and psychiatric care can be helpful.

Eh sometimes I do. It's less the act of spending money, and more the potential enjoyment or utility I'll get out of what I'm spending money on. I want an HTPC to watch more high-fidelity movies with the family in the living room (and some other benefits for me as a techie), not because I want to spend money on an HTPC. That's the truth.

BUT, I'm OK with waiting also. For now. No hurry really.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 4, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Now that I think about it i'm confused. Do you have a therapist you used to see? What happened with that therapist that you don't want to go to them or ask for a recommendation?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Greg posted:

SiGmA_X posted:

I did this. Cut my spending substantially. Feels good man.

Yeah I did it on most stuff. Best Buy, Amazon notifications, a bunch of stuff like that.

I'll get rid of the eBay stuff no one is posting anything hitting my criteria anyway. Maybe when rent is getting close to due.

Veskit posted:

Now that I think about it i'm confused. Do you have a therapist you used to see? What happened with that therapist that you don't want to go to them or ask for a recommendation?

I do; as late as last spring. He's too far; roughly 40 minutes away one-way and the only open spots were always 9:00am on Saturdays. It was a huge pain in the rear end to not only have to get up early, but to have to eat 3+ hours not hanging out with the wife. Mostly I didn't feel like there was much to do in the sessions. We were just talking about money and we were on different pages - I felt like I was spending too much, he thought I should think I was spending exactly the right amount since from his viewpoint we were doing well enough (bet you guys didn't see that coming).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I do; as late as last spring. He's too far; roughly 40 minutes away one-way and the only open spots were always 9:00am on Saturdays. It was a huge pain in the rear end to not only have to get up early, but to have to eat 3+ hours not hanging out with the wife. Mostly I didn't feel like there was much to do in the sessions. We were just talking about money and we were on different pages - I felt like I was spending too much, he thought I should think I was spending exactly the right amount since from his viewpoint we were doing well enough (bet you guys didn't see that coming).

What type of therapy was this?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

What type of therapy was this?

Just CBT. I told him when I re-went back last Spring that all of you were saying I need CBT, and there we were.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I've tried, but she's "afraid of touching my computer". Plex wise - I don't want my mechanical components to degrade by keeping the thing running 24/7 (plus we're probably talking +$20-30/mo to the power bill with my components, just based on the difference between not turning off my old PC vs turning it off when comparing the power bill). Plus it would be like a constant heater. A dedicated low-power (<100 watts) would be cheaper even with the up front cost. I can probably use it in the interim though, as long as I don't try to set it up like I would a real server.

You can't use sleep settings? You can't tell your wife to just use a separate account / tough poo poo? Goddamn these are the lamest loving excuses for spending hundreds of dollars you don't really have to. You could buck up and god forbid, just watch the stuff that comes up on netflix. If you have a real hardon to watch a particular movie, just rent it. Get an Amazon fireTV stick and use a combination of netflix and amazon rentals.

If your wife really wants a separate computer, make her use her discretionary money.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You can't use sleep settings? You can't tell your wife to just use a separate account / tough poo poo? Goddamn these are the lamest loving excuses for spending hundreds of dollars you don't really have to. You could buck up and god forbid, just watch the stuff that comes up on netflix. If you have a real hardon to watch a particular movie, just rent it. Get an Amazon fireTV stick and use a combination of netflix and amazon rentals.

If your wife really wants a separate computer, make her use her discretionary money.

Sleep absolutely refuses to work automatically; I've tried. Tried on the separate account. She intends on using her discretionary for her side, and same with me.

I'm not sure why you seem upset. I'm doing exactly what I should be doing with this decision financially. This is the absolute antithesis of impulsive spending if I do it, and it would be well within a set budget.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Just CBT. I told him when I re-went back last Spring that all of you were saying I need CBT, and there we were.

That is 100% not CBT. I mean you may have seen a therapist who read up on it and whatever said he could do it but that's not practicing CBT in anyway shape or form. Knyte please start researching and find someone licensed to do this and/or specializes in it it's not an easy task, otherwise you could end up with someone who talks about money.

Also what's the plan for a psychiatrist? You need separate plans for both unless you plan to find some unicorn CBT psychiatrist who also is good.

Did you at least learn the concept of a cognitive distortion?

Also how did you find this guy? was it difficult? Does this now mean that it's going to be hard to find someone close who also practices that form of therapy?

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

That is 100% not CBT. I mean you may have seen a therapist who read up on it and whatever said he could do it but that's not practicing CBT in anyway shape or form. Knyte please start researching and find someone licensed to do this and/or specializes in it it's not an easy task, otherwise you could end up with someone who talks about money.

Also what's the plan for a psychiatrist? You need separate plans for both unless you plan to find some unicorn CBT psychiatrist who also is good.

Did you at least learn the concept of a cognitive distortion?

Also how did you find this guy? was it difficult? Does this now mean that it's going to be hard to find someone close who also practices that form of therapy?

Cognitive distortion: Not the definition, but looking it up just now I learned some implementation to stop thinking some of those incorrect thoughts, yes.

Found him through my insurance company's website, and then I looked at some reviews.

Plan: Not much yet. I was going to check out those places n8r linked a page or two back.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Have you tried googling the issue?
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sleep+mode+not+functioning+windows
I find it very hard to believe that you have some special snowflake of a computer that can't use a sleep/hibernate function. Figure it out.

Why you can't see why just because something is in budget that it becomes a good purchase? This is part the mindset change that you still haven't been able to make. Your goal should be: how do I spend as little of this discretionary every month? You've clearly got a bunch of options to avoid buying another PC. One of the options can just be, ehhh I guess I don't get everything I want for a while. Are HD movies that you can't rent or watch through netflix new computer important enough? Do you really consume so much media that isn't available on netflix that you need a dedicated $20/month seedbox and an HTPC? Perhaps it is time to change your habits and just consume what is on Netflix, or rent the few titles that you really want to watch when they come up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

At idle/serving plex your PC probably isn't consuming more than 100 watts. What are you running in your PC?

I recently got a refurb dell optiplex i3 system to turn into my plex / development server. Very happy with it for ~$180. It was a complete hobby purchase, however, and doesn't really improve my life at all. It's actually been a lot of work ripping my physical media.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

This right here is the problem - that you don't see what the problem is, and therefore weren't able to communicate it to the therapist, and so did not get help to fix your problem.

Here's what you probably told your therapist "I make X and my wife makes Y and we spend Z and that's too much."

And the therapist said something like "no, your spending is normal for your income level, you're doing fine."

What you DID NOT SAY was "My wife and I are doing OK meeting all of our obligations, but we want to get out of debt and save up for a house, and even though these goals are important to me, I find myself making a lot of impulsive purchases that keep me from reaching them."

It's not about how much you spend. Nobody gives a poo poo what you spend. It's about you setting goals, and taking steps to achieve them, without constantly undoing your own efforts. Two loving years, and you still haven't learned this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Cognitive Distortion would be a rad name for a band.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

This right here is the problem - that you don't see what the problem is, and therefore weren't able to communicate it to the therapist, and so did not get help to fix your problem.

Here's what you probably told your therapist "I make X and my wife makes Y and we spend Z and that's too much."

And the therapist said something like "no, your spending is normal for your income level, you're doing fine."

What you DID NOT SAY was "My wife and I are doing OK meeting all of our obligations, but we want to get out of debt and save up for a house, and even though these goals are important to me, I find myself making a lot of impulsive purchases that keep me from reaching them."

It's not about how much you spend. Nobody gives a poo poo what you spend. It's about you setting goals, and taking steps to achieve them, without constantly undoing your own efforts. Two loving years, and you still haven't learned this.

Bold - I'm in the middle of defending (sort of, it's more me thinking about it) a purchase despite this.

I did say yes I'm buying impulsively. I did say yes goals etc etc. He did a good job. But yeah I did have trouble communicating sometimes. However I've cut the very large majority of my impulse purchases. Just gotta stay realistic so I don't get to a breaking point like with the car, which we're doing with the new budget.

dreesemonkey posted:

At idle/serving plex your PC probably isn't consuming more than 100 watts. What are you running in your PC?

I recently got a refurb dell optiplex i3 system to turn into my plex / development server. Very happy with it for ~$180. It was a complete hobby purchase, however, and doesn't really improve my life at all. It's actually been a lot of work ripping my physical media.

It's about a $44/yr difference in the power bill vs an i3 T Series Intel chip (Haswell or above), compared to what I have now. Probably more considering the PSU inefficiencies vs the potential for a power block for a mini-ITX HTPC.

My PC @ Idle:

Mini ITX i3-4130T system @ Idle:

Plus a 5% government surcharge per kWh according to my power bill. It comes out to a $44.17/yr power savings.

I calculated that kWh rate exactly, according to my power bill.

After doing some math, here's what an HTPC setup would cut, or that I'm willing to cut more aptly:

Recurring Costs Cut (yearly)
Prime $99
Netflix $96
NFL Game Pass $130
Overplay Smart DNS to use Game Pass $30
HTPC Electricity ($19)
Total Recurring Costs Cut $335

One Time Costs and Costs Cut
Wife's PC Parts $80
HTPC ($350) // Max
Total ($270)

Cheapest option (7-8 year outlook) Plan A:
I'll look into moving my computer into the living room, or into our room with a bored hole for an HDMI cable, and out of the office. I can start immediately and scrap the dedicated HTPC idea since my system is bad rear end and will play everything I want already. This will only work if I can support a third monitor (the tv) with my graphics card, which I think I can. Shouldn't need that often anyway.

But if the power bill is literally $30/mo more then I'm going with Plan B. This will be a temporary measure because I'm not giving up an office permanently. While we're getting out of debt though, I'll try it.

I'll need to reinstall Windows 10 to try to get sleep working and I can probably cut the electricity more, and keep my pc in good shape which I value.

See I knew bringing it up in here was a good idea. I wouldn't have thought about that otherwise.

Plan B:
If Plan A won't work, then May-August is the buying timeline for an HTPC. I'll begin phasing out costs that I can in the meantime, such as the seedbox @$20/mo which I'll cut now.

The "investment" will be recouped by September since that's when I'd do the Game Pass. Prime cancels in May I believe. Netflix I'll cancel when everything else is ready.

e: fixed a couple confusing things.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 5, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Did you practice any mindfulness while in therapy?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Did you practice any mindfulness while in therapy?

I don't think so. That sounds really nice though. I'll have to see if the next person will give me some exercise for that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyte for the love of god start looking for a cognative behavioral therapist who practices in mindfulness who'll be accommodating to your schedule. The more we talk about it I hope the more you're seeing that this is getting *very specific* and that it may take some time so you should probably start.

I have a feeling your old therapist spent a little bit of time figuring out how CBT worked and kinda going into it but wasn't really licensed to do it in anyway.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

Bold - I'm in the middle of defending (sort of, it's more me thinking about it) a purchase despite this.

That's because you're talking about "I'm thinking about spending all of my (deliberately large) discretionary category on an impulse buy on literally the first week of the month."

I'm getting flashbacks to:

"I'm thinking about buying a kindle at the beginning of the month because I want one and have the money left in discretionary."
"No, don't do it, it's too early in the month, don't spend all of your discretionary."
"It's discretionary, I can do what I want."
"You'll run out of discretionary and overspend."
"Too late, I just bought it, but I'll watch my spending to not overspend."

At the end of the month:

"Hey guys I'm over on discretionary but that's because I had the unforeseen circumstance of actually needing to have drinks with my boss (good for my career). There's nothing I could have done to prevent going over budget, better luck next time."

The point is that you have to save some money until you know you don't need it for anything else. Once you know you won't need it for anything else, then you can spend it on other stuff. But there's no reason you won't have a clothes emergency, or a hair emergency, or a birthday emergency, or a "ran out of chocolate bars" emergency or whatever, because you have an entire month's worth of small discretionary spending that you need to be ready for.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Knyte for the love of god start looking for a cognative behavioral therapist who practices in mindfulness who'll be accommodating to your schedule. The more we talk about it I hope the more you're seeing that this is getting *very specific* and that it may take some time so you should probably start.

I have a feeling your old therapist spent a little bit of time figuring out how CBT worked and kinda going into it but wasn't really licensed to do it in anyway.

I will as I said.

Horking Delight posted:

That's because you're talking about "I'm thinking about spending all of my (deliberately large) discretionary category on an impulse buy on literally the first week of the month."

And I'm making compromises all around it that lead to a better financial situation, beginning at cancelling a server that costs me $20/mo. And on top of that I've pretty clearly said "in the coming months".

Yeah I understand the Kindle situation, and using 50% of a $100 discretionary fund was a pretty bad idea at the beginning of the month, but so was having a $100 discretionary fund.

A budget is not to allow for fun DO NOT THINK ABOUT FUN make some generic macaroni and cheese and an iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise salad with a single canned olive for dinner. Then watch Youtube if you need to what else could you possibly need :agesilaus:

I'm totally joking, but seriously it's a bit ridiculous if anyone is getting upset about this in even a slight way.

I came up with a good solution with a bit of prodding. I feel good about it, no money was spent, I planned very meticulously, and I resisted any urge to impulse purchase anything despite seeing some great deals and having room for the entire thing in the budget. Chillax guys. This should be thrown in with the success pile.

e: [really] done editing.
edit 2: To clarify I'm just venting Horking, most of this wasn't specifically to you.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 5, 2016

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

n8r posted:

Why you can't see why just because something is in budget that it becomes a good purchase? This is part the mindset change that you still haven't been able to make. Your goal should be: how do I spend as little of this discretionary every month?
For people trying to pay down their debt as quickly as possible, this would be true, but I think at this point Knyteguy just needs to figure out how to control his spending at whatever level he decides. Maximal frugality is not useful to him, it just creates problems down the road.

The only thing that bothers me about the HTPC is borrowing against future cost cutting to pay for it/justify it. Just save up your discretionary until you have enough to buy it outright. If you can cut other areas (and then not spend that extra money each month), great! Throw it on the pile at the end of the month so you get to your goal even faster. But there needs to be some give and take that happens when you want something like this: if you spend all your discretionary on other stuff, it should delay this purchase. Otherwise, your spending was completely unaffected by your budget. Seriously, buy whatever you want. Just make sure that you figure out a way to curtail other purchases so that the numbers work out.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Recurring Costs Cut (yearly)
Prime $99
Netflix $96
NFL Game Pass $130
Overplay Smart DNS to use Game Pass $30
HTPC Electricity ($19)
Total Recurring Costs Cut $335

One Time Costs and Costs Cut
Wife's PC Parts $80
HTPC ($350) // Max
Total ($270)
Don't horse trade like this. You set the blow category at $500/mo which is PLENTY, anything else you cut really, really ought to be going towards debt or savings.

Nice job getting that $500 ticket dropped though. Suck it state of Nevada!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Giraffe posted:

For people trying to pay down their debt as quickly as possible, this would be true, but I think at this point Knyteguy just needs to figure out how to control his spending at whatever level he decides. Maximal frugality is not useful to him, it just creates problems down the road.

The only thing that bothers me about the HTPC is borrowing against future cost cutting to pay for it/justify it. Just save up your discretionary until you have enough to buy it outright. If you can cut other areas (and then not spend that extra money each month), great! Throw it on the pile at the end of the month so you get to your goal even faster. But there needs to be some give and take that happens when you want something like this: if you spend all your discretionary on other stuff, it should delay this purchase. Otherwise, your spending was completely unaffected by your budget. Seriously, buy whatever you want. Just make sure that you figure out a way to curtail other purchases so that the numbers work out.

Well the thing is, is that i haven't even spent a dollar. I'm getting grouched at for planning a purchase within a budget that if every dollar is spent meets my accepted time frame goal for getting out of debt. You put it right though, thanks.

*whispering*
Goons...

... Goons ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc

:)

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Don't horse trade like this. You set the blow category at $500/mo which is PLENTY, anything else you cut really, really ought to be going towards debt or savings.

Nice job getting that $500 ticket dropped though. Suck it state of Nevada!

For sure it's going towards debt. Most of that is in subscriptions, where excess goes directly towards next month's debt payment.

I can spend some time setting up my desktop as a server AND a desktop now, which should be fun. That was one of the goals of the HTPC: fun.

Thanks again for the ticket help.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 5, 2016

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I'm not saying you can't think about fun, I'm just saying that in the literal years I've been following and posting in this goddamn thread, you've demonstrated serious and consistent impulse control issues regarding "want a thing" -> "buy thing immediately, consequences be damned". As such, people in this thread have adapted around it, and every time you start talking about wanting a thing (before having the money for it), we all try to interrupt that link between wanting and buying.

EDIT: vvv Okay. :) I really do care about you and want you to be happy and meet your goals, no matter what those goals actually are. And I think everyone in this thread does too, or else they wouldn't be trying so hard with advice and suggestions and so on, even though it sometimes feels like all we're doing is dogpiling.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 5, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I'm not saying you can't think about fun, I'm just saying that in the literal years I've been following and posting in this goddamn thread, you've demonstrated serious and consistent impulse control issues regarding "want a thing" -> "buy thing immediately, consequences be damned". As such, people in this thread have adapted around it, and every time you start talking about wanting a thing (before having the money for it), we all try to interrupt that link between wanting and buying.

I know. I'm just playing Horking. It's Friday I'm technically off work and I have a weekend project now, and a budget that's not over limit, and no weekend commitments for the first time in a year. All is good.

I've gotten better at impulse purchases. I'm learning if slowly.

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
Set a toxx that you won't buy this completely unnecessary thing unless there is enough money left in your discretionary on the last day of the month. It doesn't have to be this month, the last day of any month is fine. Don't borrow from the next month. Don't count any "bonus" money towards discretionary (ie when you finally sell the sand rail) and don't move any money into your discretionary from other areas (like restaurants or your wife's discretionary). If the money isn't there on the last day, it's an impulse buy and you haven't saved for it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ITM posted:

Set a toxx that you won't buy this completely unnecessary thing unless there is enough money left in your discretionary on the last day of the month. It doesn't have to be this month, the last day of any month is fine. Don't borrow from the next month. Don't count any "bonus" money towards discretionary (ie when you finally sell the sand rail) and don't move any money into your discretionary from other areas (like restaurants or your wife's discretionary). If the money isn't there on the last day, it's an impulse buy and you haven't saved for it.

:toxx:

Horking Delight posted:

EDIT: vvv Okay. :) I really do care about you and want you to be happy and meet your goals, no matter what those goals actually are. And I think everyone in this thread does too, or else they wouldn't be trying so hard with advice and suggestions and so on, even though it sometimes feels like all we're doing is dogpiling.

I think you guys are pretty awesome too. I know you're all just looking out, even if I get frustrated sometimes. It's cool. I'm really trying right now to just stick to budget, and the new values are making it seem like less of a burden, so I'm more willing to follow the values I think. Therapy plus the thread will ensure this story is a success.

OK so... good news on the HTPC. I needed, $12 for some in-wall HDMI connectors (so I didn't have a nasty cord running through open holes in the wall), and everything is working great from my current desktop. So... HTPC. Now I just need to reinstall Windows for the like 15th time in the past two years (work upgrades, bad hard drives, home upgrades, sheesh).

Edit:
Seedbox cancelled ($19.xx depending on conversion rate), Netflix cancelled ($9.99? Price was about to go up), Plex premium cancelled ($5), Prime cancelled ($99/yr), Game Pass won't be resubscribed ($160 w/ Smart DNS), Usenet Server cancelled ($12/mo).

$68/mo / $817/yr cut.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 5, 2016

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

$68/mo / $817/yr cut.
Cut too much and you'll hit bone. :emo: I mean it's good you want to reduce unnecessary expenses, but don't go so nuts with it that you cause a big blow out later.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I did some of the stuff you did too, including cutting Netflix. We ended up getting it back as well. It's good to save on that stuff (we recently dropped hulu and plex premium as well), but you've gotta have some mindless outlet or you're gonna end up overspending to compensate later.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Cut too much and you'll hit bone. :emo: I mean it's good you want to reduce unnecessary expenses, but don't go so nuts with it that you cause a big blow out later.

Agreed. I pretty much just feel like this is trimming the fat. I doubt we'll get rid of Netflix permanently, though.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I did some of the stuff you did too, including cutting Netflix. We ended up getting it back as well. It's good to save on that stuff (we recently dropped hulu and plex premium as well), but you've gotta have some mindless outlet or you're gonna end up overspending to compensate later.

I'm going to try to make it until gigabit internet gets here sometime this year. We've got a lot of movies and shows to catch up on however, so we're pretty good for awhile.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
edit: bad joke

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 10, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How did you get an offer on the camaro

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

So you guys may not like this, but it could be a good idea: I got an offer on the Camaro, and I'm thinking of selling it to them ($250 profit), and then buying a like $6500-7000 awd car or truck or something. I was thinking I can put the Camaro money as a down payment, finance the rest, take the monthly payment out of our discretionary moving forward... and we can still hit our get out of debt goal.

Am I being blind again or is this reasonable?

Can you repost the exact numbers? (How much do you owe, how much did you pay for the Camaro total, how much the offer was for?)

Why do you want to buy a $6500-7000 awd?

quote:

I was thinking I can put the Camaro money as a down payment, finance the rest, take the monthly payment out of our discretionary moving forward... and we can still hit our get out of debt goal.

This is a horrible idea considering your discretionary is that high so you have breathing room. This is you once again cutting that discretionary down preemptively. It is highly likely that if you did this, you would end up blowing your budget again multiple times and not actually hitting the goal.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

How did you get an offer on the camaro

No hold on I'm just playing around. Too soon, actually. Maybe when we're really making good progress I'll try a bad joke again.

Rurutia posted:

Can you repost the exact numbers? (How much do you owe, how much did you pay for the Camaro total, how much the offer was for?)

Why do you want to buy a $6500-7000 awd?

This is a horrible idea considering your discretionary is that high so you have breathing room. This is you once again cutting that discretionary down preemptively.

No offer I'm not really considering this.

Bad joke bad timing. I'll post an update soon though. I just wanted to let everyone know the budget is going well.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 10, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Knyteguy posted:

So you guys may not like this, but it could be a good idea: I got an offer on the Camaro, and I'm thinking of selling it to them ($250 profit), and then buying a like $6500-7000 awd car or truck or something. I was thinking I can put the Camaro money as a down payment, finance the rest, take the monthly payment out of our discretionary moving forward... and we can still hit our get out of debt goal.

Am I being blind again or is this reasonable?

You have an opportunity to turn a profit on the Camaro and embrace the liability of having one fewer powered conveyance.

With this opportunity you are looking at embracing MORE debt to get a thing that you want NOW instead of waiting and getting it later. How is you financing $4.5k on a used AWD car a good plan compared to the things that you financed in the past that put you in the hole you presently find yourself in?

How is the AWD car a better option than a cheap econobox that you do not need to finance at all, that sips fuel, and has a lower risk of needing repairs than the Camaro?

How is it that the first place your mind goes while you're in debt and trying to get out is "let's take on more debt!"? If you saw someone else doing the thing you are doing now, could you interpret their behavior as anything other than stupid?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

April Fools is next month, KG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You have an opportunity to turn a profit on the Camaro and embrace the liability of having one fewer powered conveyance.

With this opportunity you are looking at embracing MORE debt to get a thing that you want NOW instead of waiting and getting it later. How is you financing $4.5k on a used AWD car a good plan compared to the things that you financed in the past that put you in the hole you presently find yourself in?

How is the AWD car a better option than a cheap econobox that you do not need to finance at all, that sips fuel, and has a lower risk of needing repairs than the Camaro?

How is it that the first place your mind goes while you're in debt and trying to get out is "let's take on more debt!"? If you saw someone else doing the thing you are doing now, could you interpret their behavior as anything other than stupid?

Hook line and sinker! I'm just playing though see above :).

I'm absolutely allergic to debt right now. It makes my stomach churn thinking about financing something.

Down the line - To go back to one car, I'd need a new job and we'd have to move somewhere closer to the city. It's just too impractical out here in the burbs to get by without one with a baby. I'd like to do it (or at least keep minimum insurance on it while it's parked in a garage), but not yet.

Hey I guess this is a good time to bring it up: My wife is going back to college to try to learn some skillz that will pay better. Classes with an "A" grade are recompensed by her work full, "B" is 50%. She had like a 3.75 GPA when she graduated university though so she'll do well. We're looking at probably Fall of this year for her to start classes. Just a heads up so it doesn't surprise anyone in 4-5 months.

e: more details
She's not going for her diploma. She's doing one online class at a time to start easy until she figures out exactly what she wants to do, but it will probably be some STEM classes to start (with no exact discipline chosen yet, but she has some ideas).

IllegallySober posted:

April Fools is next month, KG.

Oh man what a missed opportunity! Now it will be expected.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 10, 2016

• Locked thread