Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

my favourite is when im walking around downtown and i see a biker on the road blocking traffic and slowing cars when actual literally there's a dedicated bike lane beside them but nope gently caress that i NEED to use the road cause its mah rights
A lot of bike lanes are poo poo. They end randomly, have debris in them, have cars parked in them or whatever else.

If a cyclist wants to ride in a lane he can so deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EvilJoven posted:

One of the infuriating things I've found in EARTH is around here people think that it's their divine right to get from A to B in their personal vehicle unimpeded. The thought of a bus or bike or pedestrian holding them up is infuriating. Also, EARTH drivers are selfish pricks that will go out of their way to make sure you can't merge in front of them.

fixd

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
cyclists are subhuman garbage and need castle doctrine applied to them.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowofwar posted:

A lot of bike lanes are poo poo. They end randomly, have debris in them, have cars parked in them or whatever else.

If a cyclist wants to ride in a lane he can so deal with it.

cyclists are the most whiny group

if people aren't going to use the bike lanes then we shouldn't have them, though I do like the lanes as i think it's good to get people who aren't as comfortable with being on the road out there, that being said lance armstrongs armstronging it on the roads because its their god given right and you better go 30 under the limit and like it are just babies

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

Didn't know you were a cyclist.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
[ 0 ] days since last derail, current derail is: Cyclists

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

to be fair it's probably more relevant to this thread than Gallic History was.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

if people aren't going to use the bike lanes then we shouldn't have them, though I do like the lanes as i think it's good to get people who aren't as comfortable with being on the road out there, that being said lance armstrongs armstronging it on the roads because its their god given right and you better go 30 under the limit and like it are just babies
You're pretty whiny given how easy it is to just pass a cyclist on the left when clear. Do you also get all huffy when behind a slow walker or mutter when you have to stand in a line?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

to be fair it's probably more relevant to this thread than Gallic History was.

That's a bold assertion.

It would be nice if people were taught how to cycle with traffic and use hand signals. I'm sympathetic because I grew up in a sleepy suburb where kids ride on the sidewalk. There's no way to learn how to bike on city streets until you have to.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
in calgary they took some two lane streets and put in dedicated bike lanes so the cars have one lane so lance armstrongs make huge traffic jams because you cant pass them

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Do it ironically posted:

in calgary they took some two lane streets and put in dedicated bike lanes so the cars have one lane so lance armstrongs make huge traffic jams because you cant pass them

You could pass them if you were on a bike. Hope this helps

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do it ironically posted:

Good, motorists are actually the most whiny people on the street.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He's extremely mad that he has to occasionally slow down to accomodate other road users but they're the whiners, not him.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i enjoy the stale smell of BO and urine with everyone else on the lrt in the morning to get to work, I watch these things from my office window just observations

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Good, motorists are actually the most whiny people on the street.

Honky. they don't whine. they honk.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do places outside of Toronto have places to shower after biking into work? I'd hate to put on a suit after cycling on a humid day and wiping down with a towel.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, I'll sometimes go out of the bike lane and into the divers lane, because I want to turn left in, like, half a block. But you can bet people will get right up on my rear end and honk and gnash their teeth at having to slow down for a few hundred feet, losing entire seconds of their Very Important Time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

One of the infuriating things I've found in Manitoba is around here people think that it's their divine right to get from A to B in their personal vehicle unimpeded. The thought of a bus or bike or pedestrian holding them up is infuriating. Also, Manitoba drivers are selfish pricks that will go out of their way to make sure you can't merge in front of them.

This is every single canadian in every aspect of their day to day lives.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Liberal candidate Jamie Hall was on CBC radio this morning complaining that if he gets censored then why aren't moves or newspapers having it done. That him calling his girlfriend a skank really just means jerk in their circle. And she was there too saying its ok. He won't scrub his tweets though and mentions it's just microbytes. That we won't have anymore politicians if we keep doing this.

To this I say "gently caress OFF" - this rhetoric of "I SAY IT HOW IT IS" is starting to really aggravate me. We're totally regressing as a society if this is how it's supposed to be.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jamie-hall-interview-liberals-tweets-1.3475354

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao one of my favorite summer hobbies is to take up an entire lane while riding down beach ave

eat my gently caress car drivers

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Frosted Flake posted:

Do places outside of Toronto have places to shower after biking into work? I'd hate to put on a suit after cycling on a humid day and wiping down with a towel.

people will tell you that they don't sweat that much or smell but they always do and it's gross

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd rather cyclists just ride in the street, as is their right, instead of paying to install bike lanes which don't get used as cyclists seem to prefer either the street or the sidewalk anyway. It doesn't really bother me when I have to slow down for a cyclist compared to slowing down for a retard in a car who just can't drive properly, since I know there's actually a good reason they aren't going faster.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-dairy-association-says-more-regulation-unnecessary-to-prevent-animal-abuse-1.3475988

quote:

The B.C. Dairy Association says the industry has enough oversight already, despite calls from the B.C. SPCA for the creation of an independent regulatory body for dairy farms.

The calls for more regulation come after 20 counts of animal cruelty were laid against Chilliwack Cattle Sales, one of Canada's largest dairy farms, and seven of its employees earlier this week.

None of the charges has been proven in court.

But the industry has more than enough incentive to prevent animal abuse in its farms, said Trevor Hargreaves, spokesperson for the B.C. Dairy Association.

"If there is a farm that is mistreating animals in this province, that's a massive liability to this industry," he said.

"We are as concerned about making sure that animals are absolutely well treated, as the public and government is."

Allegations of cruelty against Chilliwack Cattle Sales first surfaced in June 2014 when the non-profit group Mercy for Animals Canada released a video shot by a former employee of the farm showing dairy cows being whipped and beaten with chains and canes, as well as punched and kicked.

Industry regulation

The B.C. Milk Marketing Board is the industry's regulatory body, but it also represents producers and processors, and reports indirectly to the government, said Hargreaves.

"They are beholden to the farm industry review board … and the farm industry review board, in turn, reports to the provincial government."

Holy poo poo I didn't know Canadian Real Estate Agents Association is running dairy as wel

lmao alligator tears about MORE GOVERNMENT RED TAPE just leave us alone

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I find that when I'm driving I get irritated at cyclists and when I cycle I get irritated at drivers, and whatever I'm doing I tend to be over awed by the stupidity of pedestrians who step out into the street wearing headphones without bothering to look in either direction.

Why it's almost as though my perception of the situation is inextricably tied up in my own identity and behavior and that this influences the way I see the world. But no, clearly it's just that the Other who uses a different mode of transportation than me is an rear end in a top hat and now I can take some momentary comfort in how somebody else is worse than me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

I find that when I'm driving I get irritated at cyclists and when I cycle I get irritated at drivers, and whatever I'm doing I tend to be over awed by the stupidity of pedestrians who step out into the street wearing headphones without bothering to look in either direction.

Why it's almost as though my perception of the situation is inextricably tied up in my own identity and behavior and that this influences the way I see the world. But no, clearly it's just that the Other who uses a different mode of transportation than me is an rear end in a top hat and now I can take some momentary comfort in how somebody else is worse than me.

The solution is to Uber and ignore both.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well if I really need to get anywhere I just use public transit. Driving and cycling are way too much fun to give up though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Jane Jacobs (TM) New URBNZM diktat is to never leave your neighbourhood

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

The Jane Jacobs (TM) New URBNZM diktat is to never leave your neighbourhood

Is it really a neighbourhood if the houses are all vacant?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Is it really a neighbourhood if the houses are all vacant?

makes u think

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I grew up within walking distance of Jacob's house and frankly there isn't any reason to leave except when I'm going to my fancy Old Stock Canadian family cottage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
ah the good old days when your domestic help and menial labour lived in your neighbourhood

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really avoid ever leaving my immediate neighbourhood. Going more than a 10-min drive in any direction seems like a massive shlep. Also everywhere beyond a 10-15 min drive is poo poo and there's no reason to go there. Make nice neighbourhoods that meet 90% of people's weekly needs within walking distance and cut down on travel time and costs.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I really avoid ever leaving my immediate neighbourhood. Going more than a 10-min drive in any direction seems like a massive shlep. Also everywhere beyond a 10-15 min drive is poo poo and there's no reason to go there. Make nice neighbourhoods that meet 90% of people's weekly needs within walking distance and cut down on travel time and costs.

lazy millenials

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hmmm yeah this makes sense whatever could possibly make this utopian vision impossible

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Colby Cosh: Dear America: we need to talk about Donald

quote:

People like to ask columnists about their mysterious job, whose details can sometimes be opaque even to fellow newspapermen. “How do you decide what to write?” Judging by the size of my following, I don’t always make market-friendly choices. The unfailing rule is that when some bit of news is driving me out of my tree, to the point of wanting to yell at the computer screen, that’s a big clue.

After Super Tuesday, it is time to yell at our American neighbours. (Pick on the Americans: that’s probably a good heuristic for a columnist, too.) This will not be the usual tirade against Donald Trump. This is a tirade against Americans failing to recognize themselves in Donald Trump.

Bien-pensants are suddenly desperate to understand this unfamiliar monster who has somehow been at the forefront of American pop culture for three decades. “Our politicians used to address themselves to the best in us — what happened?” they cry. Some are old enough to remember George Wallace. They have all learned in school about the Founding Fathers, who were roughly half slave owners, half cringing cowards when it came to slavery.

They know Abraham Lincoln, but little of the parade of presidential crumb-bums and old soaks whose pusillanimity created the need for Lincoln. They deplore Trump’s blowhard rumbustiousness and his fixation on “winning” and “energy”: within a minute they will tell you how they revere Teddy Roosevelt, who, like Trump, was born on third base with a gift for puffer-fish social tactics.

Joe Raedle/Getty ImagesGrace Hill, 8, and Ella Hill,5, stand with their parents as they wait for the start of a campaign rally for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on February 12, 2016 in Tampa, Florida.

(Digression: am I insane to imagine that the foreign policy of a President Trump might resemble Franklin D. Roosevelt’s? Trump doesn’t talk much about blowing things up. He talks about the imbecility of recent U.S. statesmanship and imagines substituting guile, intimidation and negotiation for nation-building adventures. If you watched the Republican debates closely, you must have had moments during the geopolitical segments in which Trump looked like the sane one.)

Trump-haters will tell you how much they miss Ronald Reagan. Reagan, before becoming president, had at least been a governor; but he inspired the same fears, and antagonized Rockefeller Republicans much as Trump troubles Rubio Republicans. There are people who think “Drumpf” jokes about doltish, combative Donald will defuse him; their spiritual ancestors figured that if they made enough Bedtime For Bonzo references, they could undo Reagan.

If it needs saying: this did not work. Commentators and the comedians let themselves be washed over by Reaganism, learning nothing.

Americans concerned about uncontrolled mass immigration, particularly along the southern border, have been told since the end of the Reagan era that nothing can be done. When the subject is raised the answer is always the same: you think we’re going to kick out 11 million undocumented Mexicans? Get real! The only option is to give these people a relatively easy “path to citizenship” or amnesty. Improved border control and surveillance of visitors is only ever accepted as part of a deal that confirms existing illegal immigrants in their circumvention of U.S. law. Which is, in turn, justified as being understandable, even praiseworthy.

I’m just a dumb Canadian: I don’t have to take a position on U.S. population flows. I’m even a dumb Canadian libertarian, so I understand and sympathize with moral arguments for open borders. But why does can-do America suddenly become can’t-do when it comes to implementing an immigration policy?

This is remarkable, isn’t it? The United States retrieved rocks from the Moon because a president remarked that, hey, this seems like a difficult and impressive thing to try. A president created the interstate highway network. A president ended the Cold War. American government, goaded by presidents, brought electricity to the wilds of half a continent, eliminated polio, built the bomb.

What’s more extraordinary is that presidents are constantly imagineering mega-projects that flop. For every Apollo 11 there is at least one Amtrak, no? Just the other week I thought I heard President Barack Obama say that America was going to outlaw cancer in tribute to Joe Biden’s son. He is not even the first president to declare war on cancer; the original war started at almost the same moment as the War on Drugs.

Trump says, “We’re gonna build a wall,” and every columnist demands to see material specifications, blueprints, GAAP-conforming cost documents. Obama says, “Let’s cure cancer,” and even skeptics say, “What a nice thought.” ($1 billion evaporates.)

It is too late to challenge Trump when he talks about the wall. It does not matter how stupid the idea, taken literally, may be. American politicians spoke Parseltongue to the working class, the people who contend with and live beside immigrant labour, for too long. They are ready to vote for the only guy who will think about a wall.

Of course a bad collective conscience is the key to any populist movement like Trump’s. He really is like Hitler in this: he sells absolution to those too inarticulate to explain or defend their prejudices. It is universally acknowledged that less-skilled American workers are in a bad state. Millions are on federal or other disability schemes and food stamps, millions are at least half-zombified on prescription drugs and the overlap between these groups is obviously great. Mortality statistics among the middle-aged show the results. What they don’t show is the shame that dropouts from honest labour and bourgeois aspiration must suffer — how unlike their fathers and mothers they feel. If I were a worse writer I’d drop the word “alienation” here.

President Obama’s definitive domestic achievement has been the partial disconnection of health insurance from jobs. This seems natural and proper to a Canadian; but what, I sometimes wonder, is the remaining incentive for any American to hold a job, assuming he is content to live humbly outside of a metropolitan downtown? Up here, we have single-payer medicare — but no food stamps or disability courts.

And so Trump materializes with a garbled, but not totally unfounded, account of what went wrong: globalization destroyed traditional jobs, illegal immigration took more, Mexican heroin salesmen swooped in. Idealistic America has been hornswoggled by tricky foreigners who know their own interests. Trump won’t stop saying how “smart” they are. This isn’t white supremacism: it’s American inferiorism.

If Trump is a charlatan who saw the conditions for populist agitation and crafted an opportunistic message, all I can say is: well played. What I ask of Americans who deplore him is, what did you do about these conditions when something might have been done? Did you not think your civilization was particularly vulnerable to hucksters and loudmouths?

America is the land of, and I’ll put these in alphabetical order, Frank Abagnale, Jim Bakker, P.T. Barnum, Scott Boras, Dale Carnegie, Bill Clinton, Enron, Chris Kyle, Bernie Madoff, Charles Manson, Billy Mays, Dr. Phil McGraw, Joe McCarthy, Norman Vincent Peale, Charles Ponzi, Al Sharpton, Charlie Sheen and Orson Welles. It is the dynamo of cultivated marketing crazes: flagpole sitting, Cabbage Patch Kids, hula hoops, the Lambada. It is mother and nurse of kooky sci-fi religions: Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, chiropractic, Scientology, Erhard seminars. The glories and powers of America are inseparable from this trait, and it has never been a secret to outsiders, not since Tocqueville.

So how can any self-aware American look at Donald Trump — who, again, even before his candidacy, might have been the first person a Chinese peasant thought of when someone said “name an American” — and imagine him as novel and unfamiliar? You don’t think his architectural sensibility is characteristically American? You don’t think his habit of overstating his fortune is American? You don’t think his hair and his tan are American? Where on Earth, dear friends, do you think you live? Do you never look in the mirror?

National Post

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

Liberal candidate Jamie Hall was on CBC radio this morning complaining that if he gets censored then why aren't moves or newspapers having it done. That him calling his girlfriend a skank really just means jerk in their circle. And she was there too saying its ok. He won't scrub his tweets though and mentions it's just microbytes. That we won't have anymore politicians if we keep doing this.

To this I say "gently caress OFF" - this rhetoric of "I SAY IT HOW IT IS" is starting to really aggravate me. We're totally regressing as a society if this is how it's supposed to be.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jamie-hall-interview-liberals-tweets-1.3475354

In case you didn't get enough of him on the CBC here is a link to his personal blog where he says he was ready to resolve issues in Southdale such as

-
-
-

Then defends his tweet 1 by 1 for 4 pages

http://projectsbyjamie.tumblr.com/post/140396185731/the-politics-of-language

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually walking everywhere is super good for you. When everything is within a 10 min walk you end up getting a ton of exercise. 10 min walk to work, 10 min walk to lunch, 10 min walk back, 10 min walk home, 10 min walk to a restaurant or, 10 min walk to some shopping. Next thing you know you're walking hours a day. People need to have more incidental walking and exercise baked into their daily routine. Sitting all day in an office then sitting for an hour in a car is super bad. Add in good bike infra and now your self-powered range is increased even more, you can ride distances you'd feel too lazy to walk. It's super good for the economy, drives down health care costs. Investments in ped/bike improvements more than pay for them selves in reduced health care costs and other health related benefits.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

This was the vision behind the 'Don Mills' community in Toronto. Practically speaking though it's not really feasible for a lot of white collar jobs (or poo poo like construction, or any activity not suitable for residential neighborhoods like power plants or factories), so I think we just need public transit options that mean commuting is relatively painless.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao gently caress you guys i'm buying a self driving tesla and a huge rear end ranch in chilliwack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Colby Cosh is mostly a discount bin Mark Steyn, but god drat is he right in this one.