Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

so it's star ocean 3

At least starting on the underdeveloped world means it won't be thirty hours pissed away for no resolution at all before getting the proper story back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least starting on the underdeveloped world means it won't be thirty hours pissed away for no resolution at all before getting the proper story back on track.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked Nel though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked Nel though.

Nel was great. It's just everything else on that world was just so insanely boring that it ended up feeling like a slog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

then how in th ehell is it a star ocean game

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
any story will be great after playing fire emblem fates

I don't really care about Bravely Second, what's next in the rpg release pipeline?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rascyc posted:

any story will be great after playing fire emblem fates

I don't really care about Bravely Second, what's next in the rpg release pipeline?

Dragon Quest VII

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dark Souls 3 is probably the only major jrpg to be released and that's in April. Maybe that FF9 steam port whenever it's supposed to come out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy XV

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Not major but Nights of Azure is out soon & the Popolocrois/HM one just came out

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I liked Fire Emblem Fates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FE:F's story is weak but the gameplay is among the best in the series so hey.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Today I started playing Ar Nosurge after owning it for like 3 months and I have three things to say:

1. I feel like I only understand about a third of the plot maybe but it's a'ight I guess I mean it is an Ar Tonelico game
2. When do I get to play as the cool robot dude he looks way cooler than this prig Delta
3. What the gently caress kind of RPG made in TYOOL 2014 doesn't have a skip cutscene button what the gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can skip them on your second play through :downs:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Today I started playing Ar Nosurge after owning it for like 3 months and I have three things to say:

1. I feel like I only understand about a third of the plot maybe but it's a'ight I guess I mean it is an Ar Tonelico game

It's the sequel to an untranslated Vita VN.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a super direct sequel to ciel no surge which never got localized. There's a site somewhere that summarizes it in depth though.

You switch to earthes pretty early then ping pong back and forth

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think you can retry boss battles you lose so a lack of cutscene skip never becomes a huge issue

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Motto posted:

It's the sequel to an untranslated Vita VN.

this seems like a vaguely ill-reasoned idea

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

I think you can retry boss battles you lose so a lack of cutscene skip never becomes a huge issue

you can't, i've lost to zinn thrice now and every time i've lost i've had to sit through the entire sequence starting from the midboss fight before it because there's no save point accessible in between those two points

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh yeah lol. Why did I think that, I'm pretty sure I complained about the save point placement in this very thread.

Tbh I recommend just playing on normal and never losing since the combat design isn't very good

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I was hoping for a better-balanced version of Ar Tonelico 2

I think it's about time I just accept I'm never getting that

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There used to be a translation of Ciel Nosurge up online somewhere, but the guy had a giant hissy fit about something or other and took it down forever :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He threatened to but decided against it I think so it should still be up
It was too many words for me though and there's not a lot that doesn't get explained or you can't figure out eventually

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh I'm still enjoying myself, like for a while I was like "What? huh?" but then I jumped into Genometrics and had to brook negotiations between Tsun and Dere and it wasl ike coming home after a long time away

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the beginning even if you have read the Ciel translation, just in a different way, so that's probably why they felt like it was fine to release on its own

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Translation, eh...

At the same time a different sidequest in the same town got a much better treatment

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SelenicMartian posted:

Translation, eh...

Is... is the first one "host"? Maybe?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

SelenicMartian posted:

Translation, eh...

Is that right? Aunty Huang, maybe you should take a look in my backpack at these... mysterious footprints. Or maybe this missing woman :smug:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bloodychill posted:

Is that right? Aunty Huang, maybe you should take a look in my backpack at these... mysterious footprints. Or maybe this missing woman :smug:
If I were to do...this, would it mean anything to you?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Has there been a jRPG/Traditional RPG where main cast members die regularly or at least more than the usual 0-1 protagonists that die? I've been thinking about character death/permadeath as a game mechanic, mostly spurred on by how loving boring FE's handling of it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depending on your definition of main cast members like 3/4 of the named characters are dead by the end of Alundra.
FF2 I guess :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Has there been a jRPG/Traditional RPG where main cast members die regularly or at least more than the usual 0-1 protagonists that die? I've been thinking about character death/permadeath as a game mechanic, mostly spurred on by how loving boring FE's handling of it is.

It depends. Final Fantasy IV has a lot of fake deaths that are not meaningfully different from real deaths. (They come back but you lose the party members for the rest of the game aside from the GBA version.)

Valkyrie Profile has you permanently lose party members in exchange for rewards and bonuses depending on the game.

Lost Dimensions recently has your party members die over the course of the game.

Final Fantasy Tactics has characters who can permadie though it's relatively hard for that to really happen.

Orishika is literally based around your party members dying of old age.

Valkyria Chronicles has permadeath also in that regards.

Older games like Fallout have permadeath for party members but they're largely optional to begin with.

Devil Survivor 2 has characters who die during the plot if you don't save them though it eventually forces saves if too many die.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Final Fantasy II, but that was a long time ago.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LISA's got a lot of poo poo that can randomly and permanently kill your party members.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
having a jrpg where most of the cast ends up dead by the end would be kind of difficult to pull off without being really frustrating to the player, i imagine

e; ah, i guess people already posted examples while i was typing that

actually doesn't ultima v have a thing where if you get captured and you don't tell the main villain the location of one of the stones he's trying to destroy, one of your party members will be brutally killed?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 4, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

LISA's got a lot of poo poo that can randomly and permanently kill your party members.

Yeah LISA is an interesting grimdark take on the Chrono Cross method, where the game throws so many party members at you they basically become an disposable resource. Which fits the themes of the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Characters can permanently die in Suikoden games. Maybe not all of them, but definitely in 1.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phantasy Star III tried an interesting idea of following three generations of heroes from the same lineage where you decided which of the eligible women in each generation your main character would marry, and consequently who your successor would be. Some characters like androids IIRC will follow you through all three generations but a lot of characters only spanned one.

Unfortunately, it's also garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Permadeath sucks.