Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Soricidus posted:

loving neo-colonialist euros demonstrating their disrespect for the ancient cultures of the east by ... going out of their way to make sure unicode supports round-trip conversions with every bad decision ever made in the dbcs era?

Yep thanks for spelling it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

canis minor posted:

Are there any resources on this I can read explaining "why"? I'd have thought that even if a character set had Ⅻ as one singular character, translating it to Unicode should have become XII. If translating XII from Unicode to that character set, it would go back to Ⅻ, but I guess it's naive of me to think so (or I guess there's a roman sentence where IV should stay IV instead of Ⅳ)

I wouldn't want character conversions to be responsible for my friend 6 having to go to the hospital to get an 4 drip.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The smart way to do it would be to add marker characters for the round-tripping cases, so you'd have some code point that meant that the remainder of the grapheme is to be displayed in roman form, so Ⅻ would be the three "<roman numeral mark>12", which would still display with the correct meaning even if it was a font that didn't include the Roman alphabet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My name contains a roman numeral and every system has a delightful way to mangle it. I had to go in person to a GA DMV office because the form stopped at IV, most systems think me and my father are the same person (on a domestic flight in India we were assigned to the same seat, luckily "like George Bush and George W Bush" made it clear), and I dropped it entirely when I moved to CA. The best ones are where a human intervened to fix it up and they end up mucking up my last name too.

People always ask if I would name a child JawnV7. I can't imagine how cruel a person would have to be to inflict that onto a child.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

My name doesn't contain any roman numerals, but it contains ł, which provides me with a broad range of translations - most of the times I see it as œ, though I'll also see it as ë or plain ☐, and while it wasn't a problem for me so far, for some time on my credit card there was a t where ł should be

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Volte posted:

you never know when pi might be a vector :confused:

You joke, but I'm ~90% sure that I've seen 𝝿 used as an energy-momentum 4-vector before.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

JawnV6 posted:

People always ask if I would name a child JawnV7. I can't imagine how cruel a person would have to be to inflict that onto a child.
Child abusers do tend to be people who were themselves abused as children.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sinestro posted:

The smart way to do it would be to add marker characters for the round-tripping cases, so you'd have some code point that meant that the remainder of the grapheme is to be displayed in roman form, so Ⅻ would be the three "<roman numeral mark>12", which would still display with the correct meaning even if it was a font that didn't include the Roman alphabet.

Requiring state for text handling kind of sucks. Yes Unicode does have the BiDi marker characters, but nobody really likes those.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

JawnV6 posted:

I always thought naming a child after yourself was a bad idea, simply in the case of having multiple children. It's like you love your first child so much that you gave them your own name, but then the second child comes along and they get... uh, well... some other name I guess, who cares you're child number 2.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was one of Andy's better stories on The Office. He was originally named Walter, Jr., until his little brother came along and his parents liked him better.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bognar posted:

I always thought naming a child after yourself was a bad idea, simply in the case of having multiple children. It's like you love your first child so much that you gave them your own name, but then the second child comes along and they get... uh, well... some other name I guess, who cares you're child number 2.

You could just give your 2+ child your name as well. Or you could give them all a UUID. I'm sure doing that wouldn't break any systems they'll need to put their names in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's already solved, the first one is MySon Junior, the other one is MySon Junior the second.

Though usually "the second" is for the third generation but I think it works for siblings too.

And apparently if someone dies, you can move up the ladder and shed your 'junior' or roman numeral status. Live long enough and you get to be the senior!

xzzy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 4, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

canis minor posted:

I agree that such distinction makes sense for alephs, but for pi it is still a mystery for me. I don't think there's a distinction (in meaning) between MATHEMATICAL ITALIC SMALL PI and MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL PI, but to me this should be a singular character (MATHEMATICAL SMALL PI) that's handled by font transformation, instead of by encoding. Unless we're talking here about times, when font transformations weren't there yet?

Did you read the quote?

quote:

Semantic Distinctions. Mathematical notation requires a number of Latin and Greek alphabets that initially appear to be mere font variations of one another. The letter H can appear as plain or upright (H), bold (H), italic (H), as well as script, Fraktur, and other styles. However, in any given document, these characters have distinct, and usually unrelated, mathematical semantics. For example, a normal H represents a different variable from a bold H, and so on. If these attributes are dropped in plain text, the distinctions are lost and the meaning of the text is altered.

Things like "boldness" and other styles can often be stripped out when text is moved around, which can significantly alter the meaning when it comes to math. Making it part of the letter preserves that meaning.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

xzzy posted:

It's already solved, the first one is MySon Junior, the other one is MySon Junior the second.

Though usually "the second" is for the third generation but I think it works for siblings too.

And apparently if someone dies, you can move up the ladder and shed your 'junior' or roman numeral status. Live long enough and you get to be the senior!
I don't know where you're getting this from, but there's no formal enforcement whatsoever. It's supposed to go senior, junior/2nd, esquire/third/"trey", fourth, but nobody at the hospital is going to double check you or slap the pen away. Mine skipped a generation, there's a "Stanley" in there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never implied there was a formal procedure. But there are common patterns that genealogists have noticed and documented.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Did you read the quote?

Things like "boldness" and other styles can often be stripped out when text is moved around, which can significantly alter the meaning when it comes to math. Making it part of the letter preserves that meaning.

Yes, I understand that H has different meaning than 𝐇 - but, as humans, we also have context that allows us to understand that even if author wrote a⇾∞ it still means the same as if he wrote a→∞ On the other hand, if there's vagueness at any point, because my editor dropped font formatting, I'd get pretty irritated.

I guess you've got a point when it comes down to plain text; I've not considered displays where there's no font formatting - but in those scenarios, would MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL PI would look that much different from MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF BOLD SMALL PI?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

JawnV6 posted:

I don't know where you're getting this from, but there's no formal enforcement whatsoever. It's supposed to go senior, junior/2nd, esquire/third/"trey", fourth, but nobody at the hospital is going to double check you or slap the pen away. Mine skipped a generation, there's a "Stanley" in there.

esquire is for lawyers :eng101:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Its use is not protected and it traditionally was meant as a title for the educated or otherwise influential people who did not hold a proper title. :eng101:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
If you don't name your fifth son Quintus I don't know what to tell you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

In that case I'm changing my name and appending "the 87th" just for kicks.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Bill S. Preston Esq.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

canis minor posted:

Yes, I understand that H has different meaning than 𝐇 - but, as humans, we also have context that allows us to understand that even if author wrote a⇾∞ it still means the same as if he wrote a→∞ On the other hand, if there's vagueness at any point, because my editor dropped font formatting, I'd get pretty irritated.

I guess you've got a point when it comes down to plain text; I've not considered displays where there's no font formatting - but in those scenarios, would MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL PI would look that much different from MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF BOLD SMALL PI?

There's a reason Knuth discovered TeX.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

fritz posted:

There's a reason Knuth discovered TeX.

That sounds like he found TeX inscribed onto some stone tablets in the desert. Granted, that would explain a lot.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

canis minor posted:

Sometimes text is copied through various mediums. The underlying unicode characters will survive the process much better than any formatting applied to them.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

canis minor posted:

Yes, I understand that H has different meaning than 𝐇 - but, as humans, we also have context that allows us to understand that even if author wrote a⇾∞ it still means the same as if he wrote a→∞

You're missing (part of) the point - in some fields it's common to find both a letter and its bold version (or some other variant) used for different meanings in the same document, in identical or very similar contexts.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
As a random example, from a book:

Here X is the vector random variable (X_1, ..., X_T) (and X^(-t) is the same but with X_t deleted), whereas x is the corresponding realization of this vector random variable, and x that of X_t. If all X_t had the same distribution, you might even see X used as a generic stand-in for any of them.

Both the case and the boldness of "x" have a specific meaning here and this is not uncommon. Also, people often use p or pi for probabilities (either as scalars or vectors), so yes we really do need like 8 kinds, but I couldn't comment on how that should be implemented.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pi is also used as an iterative multiplication, the way sigma is used for iterative addition. It doesn't come up very often, I will grant.

Basically mathematicians started programming centuries before we had style rules like "use descriptive variable names", so they decided they have to use a single symbol (or at most a symbol plus a subscript) to represent every single distinct variable in their programs.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Basically mathematicians started programming centuries before we had style rules like "use descriptive variable names", so they decided they have to use a single symbol (or at most a symbol plus a subscript) to represent every single distinct variable in their programs.

It's called DRY.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Corollary I have come to as part of this refactoring project I'm doing: If you are using descriptive names for a Class or Member, and the name includes 'Or', please rethink your design choices.

The amount of these that I see:
code:
public void DoFooOrBar(Foo foo, Bar bar, out int result1, out int result2)
{
	if(foo == null)
	{
		if(bar != null)
		{
			result2 = DoBarThing(bar);
		}
	}
	else
	{
		if(foo != null)
		{
			result1 = DoFooThing(foo);
		}
	}
}
You can imagine the logic that wraps these calls~

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

VikingofRock posted:

You joke, but I'm ~90% sure that I've seen 𝝿 used as an energy-momentum 4-vector before.

In planning domains, pi is usually used for the policy function, and sometimes if you have a bunch of candidate policies you're evaluating, you may, in fact, have a pi vector.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This chart proves that Waterfall is better at code golf.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

This chart supports removing the first three sprints, using Waterfall to get to the progress attained by sprint 3.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

How man of those scrum stages are there because the client's expectations change from meeting to meeting to delivery?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

What's the total length of the blue line tho?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pfft u need conjugate scrum to get REAL convergence

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Where's the graph where the bullseye zigzags erratically, like a UFO made of unrealistic expectations and hubris?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also this only applies to yanks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

how does one acquire the yellow circle??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M31
Jun 12, 2012
One of our national IT projects had in it it's specifications that dates should be in 'CCYY-MM-DD' format (century, year, month, day). Some genius decided that since 2000 is the 21st century that would mean that today would be '2116-03-05' and they would need lots of money to change this.

Which is why you should not do agile if you want to make a lot of money.