Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm still waiting to see if this game will be appealing to me. I'm just finding myself wanting to play Xrd at meetups and never drawn to playing this. Hoping some cool stuff will get discovered that kind of breaks the game :D

It would be really cool if fighting games in general could figure out online play. The matchmaking thing is a problem because in most genres of game your rank online actually does mean something, and the matchmaking helps you to get matched with people you should be playing against. In almost any fighting game, you are condemned to play against like 3-4 lovely/laggy people you'd rather not play at all before you get one match against someone good. Usually when that happens, you'd rather just add that player to your friends list and play long sets with him instead of trying to climb to a higher rank.

Even in "GOOD GAMES" like Xrd, the ranking system is totally worthless and no one uses it.

I had SF4 on PS3 and PC, which had worthless ranking systems. I had a perception that the Xbox Live ranked mode for SF4 may actually have been close to decent ranked play, but I'm guessing it really wasn't? I just tended to see top players with high ranks and get matched with other good players with somewhat high frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CineD is pretty much a quasi hell dimension where Man of Steel and the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy are considered works of pure genius.

We are basically usenet now. Make your time

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fayk posted:

That said, if we do that, the 'sfv bad' contingent might have a decent chance actually. KUMITEEEEEE

bring on the kumite you loving cowards i am the eternal champion of the only tournament this thread has had

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

See me at Evo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'd play in a goon sfv evo side tournament especially if there was money on the line

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fozzy fosbourne posted:

CineD is pretty much a quasi hell dimension where Man of Steel and the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy are considered works of pure genius.

CineD got so pissed off at people actually liking The Force Awakens it was a shitshow until the thread got locked. I only bring that up because I'm still kinda bitter over it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 5, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoy games because it has seemed to mostly have chilled out except this thread where people bitch about people bitching

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Jmcrofts posted:

See me at Evo

I've said hi to you at evo several times :(

lets play jopjos

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

angel opportunity posted:

I'm still waiting to see if this game will be appealing to me. I'm just finding myself wanting to play Xrd at meetups and never drawn to playing this. Hoping some cool stuff will get discovered that kind of breaks the game :D

It would be really cool if fighting games in general could figure out online play. The matchmaking thing is a problem because in most genres of game your rank online actually does mean something, and the matchmaking helps you to get matched with people you should be playing against. In almost any fighting game, you are condemned to play against like 3-4 lovely/laggy people you'd rather not play at all before you get one match against someone good. Usually when that happens, you'd rather just add that player to your friends list and play long sets with him instead of trying to climb to a higher rank.

Even in "GOOD GAMES" like Xrd, the ranking system is totally worthless and no one uses it.

I had SF4 on PS3 and PC, which had worthless ranking systems. I had a perception that the Xbox Live ranked mode for SF4 may actually have been close to decent ranked play, but I'm guessing it really wasn't? I just tended to see top players with high ranks and get matched with other good players with somewhat high frequency.

Well, looking at the top ranks now for SFV shows a lot of top players at the top of the charts from all over the world including Arturo, Poongko, Mago, etc. It's just that even if you watch those guys they get matched up against half a dozen dudes who they honestly have no business fighting for every match which is even a halfway decent challenge for them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

man of steel is good tho :confused:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I've said hi to you at evo several times :(

lets play jopjos

Sorry, I'm esports now. Can't be caught fraternizing with the peasants.

But seriously I'm down.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fayk if I make it to evo this year will you play jojo with me

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

But seriously I'm down.

No joke, but I'm glad you've found a groove making those SFV videos, I've been pointing my brother at them a lot. Since they're a lot more tightly produced (read: stay on topic, don't have filler) I think they're nice little building blocks, and I've been pleased to see your subscriber counter go up. Good luck!

Baal: If I go, yeah. I bailed on the last year or so, but might go again. That is if there's any kind of setup. There never was for the first 3 or 4 years I went :/

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will bring the JoJo set up

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Jmcrofts posted:

But seriously I'm down.

I just airdropped into the thread and the man with the Okuyasu avatar said you have SFV videos

where are they

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

AnonSpore posted:

Well, looking at the top ranks now for SFV shows a lot of top players at the top of the charts from all over the world including Arturo, Poongko, Mago, etc. It's just that even if you watch those guys they get matched up against half a dozen dudes who they honestly have no business fighting for every match which is even a halfway decent challenge for them.

Yeah but those are worldwide rankings, when you take into account 4/5 bar matches there's not that many people around that can hang with arturo at the top there in his area, but the game does its best to match him up with gold players. Whoever that second ranked FANG guy is is very good but dude always ends his string with ch.d, u+lp which is insanely unsafe even on hit and a top tier player would punish that hard every time. There was a guy in lijoes stream from south africa that said his ranked pool is the same handful of dudes every time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jmcroft, who actually created and did most of the artwork for skullgirls, has in fact been doing a great job with those videos and they should be in the op if they aren't. they do a great job not just of addressing the subjects of the video, but also showing new players what to be looking for when analyzing the game.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

cams posted:

jmcroft, who actually created and did most of the artwork for skullgirls, has in fact been doing a great job with those videos and they should be in the op if they aren't. they do a great job not just of addressing the subjects of the video, but also showing new players what to be looking for when analyzing the game.

I thought he interned on it? Maybe I'm missing the joke.

His vids are here for people trying to get into fighting games w/ SFV (I Think that's a fair characterization):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3W4zpsOmXpqLG1V5faspQ

Baal: Cool

Other guy: +5 points for actually recognizing my avatar

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cams posted:

i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

This is complete conjecture on my part but it feels to me like there's a MMR system in addition to the point system? Sorta like how Starcraft 2 worked with its ladders in that there was the clear and visible portion and the hidden portion.

That said since differences in leagues change the risk/reward for the players I'm fine with how it currently works. At most maybe they could tinker the exact gains/losses in certain situations a little.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Booyah- posted:

This is equally unsubstantiated but there are also rumors that Balrog is after Alex.

PLEASE ADD THE ZONING CHARACTER

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

cams posted:

jmcroft, who actually created and did most of the artwork for skullgirls

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHA

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 5, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Bison is really, really stupidly ridiculous now people are figuring out how to play him.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you're serious about going into more details, then I'd totally appreciate just a list of poo poo I needed to go with http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=tek&tekid=1&tversion=official&item=120 to make my own, including what kind of specs I'd need for the case.

Ideally I'd like smaller buttons, but I'm not fussy.

That link is the case. You just need to pick the Hitbox Layout - 8 Button option on the Top Panel. Hitbox uses 24mm buttons by default for everything except the jump button, which is 30mm.

For everything else, it's completely up to you how you want the stick to look. He's got all sorts of color options for the plexiglass. I went pretty simple; everything is clear except a few mirror panels:

Brook has a universal board coming out soon that covers every console imaginable:

http://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-ps3-ps4-xbox-360-xbox-one-pc

They also have an older PS3/PS4 option available, but it doesn't have the nice screwdown terminals. You'd have to be willing to do some soldering:

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcba/

Those options would prevent the need to use a converter on PS4. However, if you don't mind the converters, you could use the older PS360+ that supports everything but PS4 (I don't count the 8-minute mode) and then buy a brook converter to go with it, but this adds a slight bit of annoyance having to carry the converter around as well.

https://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-3-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/

(and the converters are sold out quite a bit right now)

The buttons are a little harder for me to give tips on, as a friend did the actual build of ours - his is a hitbox, mine a normal stick. He did custom wiring harnesses, so I can't give a quick link like the PCBs :) (though he's saying it's as easy as crimping some connectors together, as long as you measure right)

I will say that having the Neutrik connector is really nice, as if makes the cable nicely detachable.

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 5, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Magus42 posted:

That link is the case. You just need to pick the Hitbox Layout - 8 Button option on the Top Panel. Hitbox uses 24mm buttons by default for everything except the jump button, which is 30mm.
I will say that having the Neutrik connector is really nice, as if makes the cable nicely detachable.

You also need to configure the front panel for the USB/Start/Select/Home button cutouts.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Mattavist posted:

You also need to configure the front panel for the USB/Start/Select/Home button cutouts.

True; or the side panels for those who prefer those buttons on the side. (though you'd still need to plan for a cable)

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Magus42 posted:

those who prefer those buttons on the side

Human garbage.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Bison is really, really stupidly ridiculous now people are figuring out how to play him.
here's me playing against dictator

gotta block that
gotta block that too
that's safe
yay my tu-nope i got counterhit

cams fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lessail posted:

man of steel is good tho :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4u-HLm8maE&t=1396s

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

cams posted:

i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

My main problems with it are:
  • Points are obtained super easily already, and it gets easier on a almost daily basis. It makes it next to impossible to make sense of where you at relative to everyone else because 4k LP could MAYBE imply you're doing well currently, but by next week it'll be full of average players. A week after that the points will "inflate" even more.
  • Not only it doesn't reliably match you against similarly skilled players, it doesn't seem to put any effort at all. Top ranked players have winrates floating at around 90%. I don't care who you are, you're not getting 90% winrate if matchmaking was actually /trying at all/ to find suitable opponents.
  • Ragequitting is still really common and it gets old, specially when the matches don't even finish as a result

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I actually invented skullgirls and did all the code as well.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just got SF5. I don't even know what to say.

I can be seen online with my in-game name and I can join their servers alright, but search for opponent never ever finds anyone, can't fight with any of my friends, nothing. Opened all ports, checked DMZ, etc. I have a pretty good ISP, and at least 3 other peer to peer games, never once had issues connecting to anyone or being reachable.

Did I just buy a loving potato.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

I actually invented skullgirls and did all the code as well.

Do you ever worry that a skullgirls fan might murk you some day???

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Do you ever worry that a skullgirls fan might murk you some day???

Haha, good one, as if there are any Skullgirls fans.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Fayk posted:

His vids are here for people trying to get into fighting games w/ SFV (I Think that's a fair characterization):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3W4zpsOmXpqLG1V5faspQ

thank you

Fayk posted:

Other guy: +5 points for actually recognizing my avatar

I heff five points

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

i disagree with the rlm review but they made me laugh

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

apple posted:

My main problems with it are:
  • Not only it doesn't reliably match you against similarly skilled players, it doesn't seem to put any effort at all. Top ranked players have winrates floating at around 90%. I don't care who you are, you're not getting 90% winrate if matchmaking was actually /trying at all/ to find suitable opponents.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Without actually having access to the data, I think it's reasonable to imagine that the very top tier of players need to be matched up with people that they will beat 9/10 times in order to get matches at a decent clip. Without being matched up with the same single other top player who happened to be online.

Matchmaking may not be so hot but I wouldn't use that as criteria without more evidence

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jmcroft's, in addition to doing the sprites and animation for skullgirls, also personally wrote and drew most of the associated hentai

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sorry for the following derail. I love Red Letter Media and agree with their opinions most of the time; their poo poo is funny. But their Man of Steel review really just echoes the same criticism that perpetuates the myopic view of "Not-My-Superman" that almost everyone who didn't like the film falls towards. It doesn't come off as criticism really, it comes off more as bitching and complaining. Just because Man of Steel didn't depict their ideal version of the character doesn't make it a bad or terrible film, but most reviewers can't seem to get past that and call bullshit because Clark apparently has no regard for human life in the movie.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 5, 2016

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Lost a few in a row after my success earlier and was trying to claw my way back up to Ultra Bronze. It was going pretty well, and then I was about thirty points away from the rank up and I came up against a Zangief on a 6 fight win streak.

It was a sloppy-rear end fight, from both of our sides. I tried to dp and got super (which happens to me with alarming frequency) on one of his jump-ins and lost the first round, then won the second by the skin of my teeth. Despite it being sloppy as hell with counterhits and bad pokes everywhere, I was having fun. I managed to bait out his super, neutral jump it, and land into a combo that I proceeded to gently caress up. Then he panicked and tried to combo and he hosed up. Then I landed a combo and actually won. Then he ragequit. Then I lost three games in a row.

This is the first time a ragequit actually made me a bit angry. I hope they actually come up with something decent. Treating it the same as a loss seems obvious, but maybe it's hard to tell who lost connection first or something, although you'd think it'd be easy what with everybody being connected to their lovely servers at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

He's not that difficult. He just has some set ups that people weren't bothering with due to lusting after his super (which is also very good.)
Very good fireball too.

Ex inferno + vtrigger activate is nasty