Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't he wearing a disguise on that cover though? Everyone knows Corran looks like Michael Stackpole and it's definitely just a coincidence.

Yeah corran horn is the center guy:

Look at him leaning in to take a peek @ Luke's waifu.

Anyone who's played the Star Wars CCG will agree that this is the definitive corran horn pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Am I crazy or are HWKs just complete dogshit

They are like this close to being OK, especially the Scum ones.

Palob (steals tokens) and Torkil Mux (make enemy ship PS0) have really powerful, versatile pilot abilities. I really hate Mux, for example.

On the rebel side, Jan and Kyle are both good for boosting offense and defense.

But the ship itself is just garbage. They're way too fragile to keep close enough for their abilities, and are completely useless offensively without expensive upgrades.

My HWK fix goes like this:

1. Make a hwk-only upgrade that takes the turret slot. It should be 0 points (or maybe even negative). This upgrade increases the primary weapon by 1 (for a total of 2) and gives them more maneuverability. I'm torn between giving them more green on the dial or letting them take a k-turn of the same speed if they pick a red maneuver.

Now you have a support ship that can contribute in a fight with crew and weapons without needing to spend an additional 3-6 more points on a turret. (Would be similar to a TIE Shuttle)

2. Make a new hwk-only crew member with the purpose of making the HWK a bit hardier. I'd love it if it got a free evade token if you were within range 2 of at least one enemy ship. Encourage people to keep the HWK close, but not too close.

Now you have a support ship that can get in close enough to use its native ability without dying the first time something sneezes at it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is the only mental image I've ever had of Corran (also isn't his saber supposed to be silver?) and that card really doesn't match up.

Me too that book was great, it's still on my shelf.

E: wow, that MWG vid is making rules errors within the first minute before they even deploy, they're doing 'roids 1 from the edge and 2 from each other, not the other way round.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 5, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This guy reads at a 2nd grade level

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I watched the first five minutes.

2:14 - Debris cloud from Imperial Raider in a non-Epic game.
2:32 - Another Raider debris cloud.
2:46 - Measuring obstacles as 2 range from each other and only 1 range from edge.
4:05 - Claiming that Imperials go first in the case of a PS tie.

I might do more later if I can muster the energy.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The only good books were the Thrawn Trilogy and the Wraith Squadron series. :colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The actual in-play stuff hasn't been totally terrible for the first couple of rounds.

Also, the guy who says 'turning/banking to the two' rather than a direction is irritating AF.

E: also, it's really annoying that they film the ships from THIS loving CLOSE but you can't actually see where they *are*.

Also, 360 degree arc. No, fuckwit. I don't care if people make errors, but MWG is a big channel, and people learn the game watching YouTube, they should really take some responsibility for actually doing it right.

E: lol prototype pilot A wing barrel rolling to block.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 5, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

thespaceinvader posted:

The actual in-play stuff hasn't been totally terrible for the first couple of rounds.

Also, the guy who says 'turning/banking to the two' rather than a direction is irritating AF.

E: also, it's really annoying that they film the ships from THIS loving CLOSE but you can't actually see where they *are*.

Also, 360 degree arc. No, fuckwit. I don't care if people make errors, but MWG is a big channel, and people learn the game watching YouTube, they should really take some responsibility for actually doing it right.

E: lol prototype pilot A wing barrel rolling to block.

What I don't loving get is that the channel is known for 40k, which has a plethora of insane rules to know. But they can't grasp X-Wing. I'm not very good at X-Wing but even I can pick out all of their mistakes.

The linked batrep is particularly bad. The Rebel player is dire as hell. I get to play like once every 2-3 weeks and I could soundly thrash him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheHoosier posted:

What I don't loving get is that the channel is known for 40k, which has a plethora of insane rules to know. But they can't grasp X-Wing. I'm not very good at X-Wing but even I can pick out all of their mistakes.

The linked batrep is particularly bad. The Rebel player is dire as hell. I get to play like once every 2-3 weeks and I could soundly thrash him.

I mean, are they actually any good at 40K? Because it seems like these guys are just bad at games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheHoosier posted:

40k has enough rules that they could be playing with some sort of special rule that actually exists and not be cheating. Like, there's actually 5-10 variations of some sort of bonuses to strength or shooting or other stat that all of their units could have it and through sheer luck they completely play it in a valid fashion.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've never met a 40k player who actually understands every rule correctly. So many 40k players make up their own interpretations of the rules.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

I've never met a 40k player who actually understands every rule correctly. So many 40k players make up their own interpretations of the rules.

Congrats to them. They have put more effort into the rules than the game designers did.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Corbeau posted:

The only good books were the Thrawn Trilogy and the Wraith Squadron series. :colbert:

Starfighters of Adumar is great. Fite me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ro5s posted:

Starfighters of Adumar is great. Fite me.

Starfighters of Aduar is pretty much a wraith squadron book tbf. So he did mention it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Corbeau posted:

And even those were nothing to get super excited and spergy about.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't like claiming any store as my "home" store, since there are so many in the nova area and I like supporting them all. There's 6 within 10 miles of me, all healthy and with their own demographic and preferences. The closest would be curio cavern in springfield since they have a weekly tournament that draws in 20-30 people and I got a free shirt that had curio cavern flight crew with star wars themed insignia on it. But I don't like claiming it or any other store as a home store since I'm not into those types of cliques and rivalries. Looking at the magic community there and how vicious they are wrt other stores means I don't want it happening to x wing.

There's one gaming store in my country. The largest X-Wing tournament it ever held was 17. And X-Wing is probably the largest nerd-hobby after Magic. I'm jealous. :(

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Would anyone be interested in subbing in as scum for my x-wing risk campaign? Someone had to drop, and I'd rather not just have the area empty.

The idea for this is to be a long-term campaign, but it should be fairly lax in commitment. just check in every couple days for the movement and build phases and do a few battles every month depending on how many people you attack/attack you. (There shouldn't be more than 5 battles in a month for each player max.)

If so, let me know and I'll have the dropping player send you their list.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Foolster41 posted:

Would anyone be interested in subbing in as scum for my x-wing risk campaign? Someone had to drop, and I'd rather not just have the area empty.

The idea for this is to be a long-term campaign, but it should be fairly lax in commitment. just check in every couple days for the movement and build phases and do a few battles every month depending on how many people you attack/attack you. (There shouldn't be more than 5 battles in a month for each player max.)

If so, let me know and I'll have the dropping player send you their list.

I can certainly try! Would I be stuck with whatever ships they're using?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Madurai posted:

And even those were nothing to get super excited and spergy about.

The best Star Wars novels are average-quality pulp.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm the guy who declines to attack at all with Coran because of Rebel Captive.

E: In a subsequent turn he doesn't double tap when he's got a range 1 shot on a shieldless Decimator. In addition to the rules stuff the level of play is just sub-basement here, that's not even a choice.

If this were two guys dicking around in their basement, fine, but they pretend at pro level play, like someone learning to play would watch this to see "oh, that's interesting, you play Coran by never using his ability, even in optimal circumstances."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 5, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Some Numbers posted:

I can certainly try! Would I be stuck with whatever ships they're using?

I suppose re-doing the list would be alright if you could do it quickly.

Perhaps it'd be best if you used the same sized ships already on the board, but I guess if not that's okay.

Stelarch
Jan 20, 2013

I don't really want to drag up the whole target lock range check thing but based on the rules in the "Learn to Play" book from the new Force Awakens core set I think I can see where new players would be getting confused. I only just found the range check rule in the most recent FAQ and can see why my group have all been doing this wrong.

Here are both the rules:

The target lock example makes it pretty clear you measure in every direction then pick a target. The clarified FAQ rules makes much more sense from a competitive perspective.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm trying to come up with a solid T-70/T-70/? list.
I tried a bunch of times with T-70 (Poe)/E (Corran)/A (prototype) and I just can't handle the E-Wing dial. Corran just ends up as dead weight for a few turns after taking 2 attacks.

Now I'm trying to figure out if Red Ace or Ello would be a better companion to Poe. Ello has that sweet maneuverability, but Red Ace is more tanky.

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Or

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

In either case I can the use a Stressbot or 2 Z-95's to fill the gap. I'll probably try the Y-Wing stressbot with an Ion Turret first.

What are your thoughts on Ello vs. Red Ace?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gerdalti posted:

I'm trying to come up with a solid T-70/T-70/? list.
I tried a bunch of times with T-70 (Poe)/E (Corran)/A (prototype) and I just can't handle the E-Wing dial. Corran just ends up as dead weight for a few turns after taking 2 attacks.

Now I'm trying to figure out if Red Ace or Ello would be a better companion to Poe. Ello has that sweet maneuverability, but Red Ace is more tanky.

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Or

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

In either case I can the use a Stressbot or 2 Z-95's to fill the gap. I'll probably try the Y-Wing stressbot with an Ion Turret first.

What are your thoughts on Ello vs. Red Ace?

Ello at PS9 is a really good ace hunter. It's impossible to get behind him and stay behind him in a 1on1 scenario. He's a bit fragile, though, so it can be hard to get him to that point.

Red Ace is a total bitch to kill for most pilots. It's not too bad if you can focus fire him, but the fewer ships you have, the harder it is.

From a competitive standpoint, Red Ace is better against most matchups. You need to find points for autothrusters if you expect to fight multiple TLTs per game.

Poe+Ello can wreck Palpatine/Ace lists. Red Ace is better against most of the rest.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ConfusedUs posted:

Ello at PS9 is a really good ace hunter. It's impossible to get behind him and stay behind him in a 1on1 scenario. He's a bit fragile, though, so it can be hard to get him to that point.

Red Ace is a total bitch to kill for most pilots. It's not too bad if you can focus fire him, but the fewer ships you have, the harder it is.

From a competitive standpoint, Red Ace is better against most matchups. You need to find points for autothrusters if you expect to fight multiple TLTs per game.

Poe+Ello can wreck Palpatine/Ace lists. Red Ace is better against most of the rest.

Palp/Vader/OL/Wampa is what I end up flying against in my casual games. Red Ace just couldn't handle it. I guess I'll keep a list saved with both.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Stelarch posted:

I don't really want to drag up the whole target lock range check thing but based on the rules in the "Learn to Play" book from the new Force Awakens core set I think I can see where new players would be getting confused. I only just found the range check rule in the most recent FAQ and can see why my group have all been doing this wrong.

Here are both the rules:

The target lock example makes it pretty clear you measure in every direction then pick a target. The clarified FAQ rules makes much more sense from a competitive perspective.

And yet the "When can you measure ranges" list directly below that has as its third line "During target lock actions measure range to the intended target and only to that target."

:ffgruleswriting:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Archenteron posted:

And yet the "When can you measure ranges" list directly below that has as its third line "During target lock actions measure range to the intended target and only to that target."

:ffgruleswriting:

Yeah it's poo poo. The only way it could be worse is to get our board game messiah Vlaada to do it.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's poo poo. The only way it could be worse is to get our board game messiah Vlaada to do it.

At least Vlaada would write an amusing narrative with chibi rebel and TIE pilots.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devlan Mud posted:

At least Vlaada would write an amusing narrative with chibi rebel and TIE pilots.

:eyepop: I...I want Vlaada-senpai to write the next (scum) core set rules.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, guys, if they do a 2nd rebels wave, what do you think 5th bro/7th sis will have as pilot abilities? Also rebels would get like Hera in an awing/bwing?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Showed up for store championship tournament from out of town. Find out they ran out of space and are at tournament capacity. They need a bigger goddamn store.

At least I got C3P0 out of it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gerdalti posted:

Palp/Vader/OL/Wampa is what I end up flying against in my casual games. Red Ace just couldn't handle it. I guess I'll keep a list saved with both.

That's literally the worst possible match for red ace. OL shuts him down, wanna cuts through to hull.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, guys, if they do a 2nd rebels wave, what do you think 5th bro/7th sis will have as pilot abilities? Also rebels would get like Hera in an awing/bwing?

We've barely seen them fly, so it could be anything, really.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Quad Linked Lasers - 3 points
Tech upgrade. X-wing only. Dual card.

After choosing a target when attacking, you may flip this card over.

Increase your primary weapon value by one. You may only do this if you have a target lock.

------

Single Fire Lasers - 3 points
Tech upgrade. X-wing only. Dual card.

After choosing a target when attacking, you may flip this card over.

Reduce your primary weapon value by one. You may make two attacks against the same target. If you spend a focus token when attacking this turn, it will apply to both attacks.

----

This doesn't really solve any of the X-wings problems (they don't even have a Tech slot on T-65s :v:) but I want a way to switch between quad, single fire and dual fire (this would be their normal primary of 3 dice).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In all but very specific circumstances I'd think 2x2 dice attacks are worse than 1x3.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chemmy posted:

In all but very specific circumstances I'd think 2x2 dice attacks are worse than 1x3.

Range 1 would be 2x3 or 1x5. Unless you make the double tap not get a range one bonus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Maybe change the text to when you have a target lock on the defender.
Put it on tarn for fun

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chemmy posted:

Decimatyr Shootsing Mode Activate!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The guy I normally fly against often uses a ramming Decimator with bombs covered by a swarm of low PS ties. Is the best strategy to go after the big ship first or try to pick off the ties? Whats a good rebel or scum list to counter this?

VVV for missile builds, is it better to go with proxying guidance chimps, Munitions failsafes or some other way to get a higher chance that the boom happens?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The guy I normally fly against often uses a ramming Decimator with bombs covered by a swarm of low PS ties. Is the best strategy to go after the big ship first or try to pick off the ties? Whats a good rebel or scum list to counter this?

I feel like this might be a use case for Assault Missiles?

• Locked thread