Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ag Bengip posted:

Heh, I've travelled past that town a few times

EDIT:

I'm not so sure about the stress on both syllables. If you asked the locals it would probably be more like 'PEOW-ahhp'

Yes, well… Skåningar. What do they know about pronunciation? :D

peter gabriel posted:

Patch 2.2 - Everything is perfect now, and I mean perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9phH8Jf78M

That foot flutter. Is he LARPing ED-209?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

G0RF posted:

No sign of Sandi so far. Seems like maybe they realized that having developers talking about ship progress and upcoming module expansions made for better game PR than food munching and endless Wing Commander lore dumps...

Justin Chambers is their video editor so we're not likely see him working. He seems pretty clueless about sci-fi and gaming but it probably doesn't matter.

Alexis has managed to keep a job in marketing under Sandi for longer than anyone else at CIG. That's an accomplishment in itself, since the job is more dangerous than Alaskan crab fishing.

She's too big to threaten Sandi's self-esteem/lock on fanboy lust, plus she offers Sandi CBA (Cute By Association). Needed some B'tak action up in here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6426288/#Comment_6426288

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6429602/#Comment_6429602

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6432982/#Comment_6432982

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

I try to see the best in people, I really do. For example look at how long I tolerated Ben's bullshit.

But I have to ask. What in the everloving gently caress are the QA people actually doing at CIG? Is this what CIG considers polished? Or are things just that royally hosed that this really is the result of a several months of trying to un-gently caress CryEngine?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Given how many publications that have been released in the past 24 hours that are almost entirely based on 2.2 I doubt that any number of QA warnings would have stopped it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

silvergoose posted:

Next requirement: implement space alert inside sc.

Hi five on the vlaada chvatil good games crew.

:D

So I'm looking at the hazard list for ideas. We have: stealth fighter, phantom fighter, cryo shield fighter, cryo shield frigate, destroyer, energy cloud, maelstrom, scout, swarm, jellyfish, maruaader, leviathan tanker, psionic satellite, pulse satellite, behemoth, juggernaut, nemesis, asteroid, unstable warheads, slime, overheated reactor, alien, fissure, battle uprising, power systems overload, seeker, contamination, and nuclear device.

Fun! :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Given how many publications that have been released in the past 24 hours that are almost entirely based on 2.2 I doubt that any number of QA warnings would have stopped it.

You know nothing of marketing-driven games development.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6429440/#Comment_6429440

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6429482/#Comment_6429482

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

I could only go back 1 page, but I think I have handle on current events.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I try to see the best in people, I really do. For example look at how long I tolerated Ben's bullshit.

But I have to ask. What in the everloving gently caress are the QA people actually doing at CIG? Is this what CIG considers polished? Or are things just that royally hosed that this really is the result of a several months of trying to un-gently caress CryEngine?

They're that hosed. The longer they try to deny the reality that the engine isn't working, the more layers of polish they add, the more weird game systems they try to layer on top - all of that gets them farther and farther from their goal. If you start out driving north, but your destination is to the south, you can't point to how many miles you've travelled and claim it as progress - yet that is CIG's approach, and the backers are buying it. There is no way the code on the PTU can be a sound foundation for any kind of game, and here they are adding more and more systems and complexity to it. This isn't sound code that has a few bugs that will be ironed out over time. This is incredibly shoddy bullshit that will get less and less stable as it is expanded, which is why the performance of this patch is exactly what we should expect. They've painted themselves into a corner by releasing to PTU before they were ready, and now they're completely hosed.

From the "developing an actual game" perspective, CIG has made stunningly bad decisions at every conceivable turn. And because they're crowdfunded, they are unable to make the hard choices. Anything that could move them forward, but gives the backers the illusion of moving backwards (like taking out some systems to fix the underlying code) is not even an option. Which means they're going to doggedly push ahead, for better screenshots, more systems, more ships, and more :pgabz:.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Like, they don't give a poo poo and are bowing two strings at once. On one hand they know that their sub-moronic "investors" will keep throwing money at the game and stay quiet as long as they pretend to make some progress. On the other hand they also know that most potential clients won't actually pay to download the game and thus won't see how much crap it is so there's no harm done by releasing that bugfest, and there is always the pre-alpha excuse.

If they could they would release something better but the are beyond hosed so...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't honestly know but poo poo is broke

Feels like a bodge job to me.

Even stuff like the new dust clouds under ships is half assed, it still happens if a ship is even a tiny bit over ground and it looks stupid, but impressive from a certain angle.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You know nothing of marketing-driven games development.

:negative:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Scruffpuff posted:

They're that hosed. The longer they try to deny the reality that the engine isn't working, the more layers of polish they add, the more weird game systems they try to layer on top - all of that gets them farther and farther from their goal. If you start out driving north, but your destination is to the south, you can't point to how many miles you've travelled and claim it as progress - yet that is CIG's approach, and the backers are buying it. There is no way the code on the PTU can be a sound foundation for any kind of game, and here they are adding more and more systems and complexity to it. This isn't sound code that has a few bugs that will be ironed out over time. This is incredibly shoddy bullshit that will get less and less stable as it is expanded, which is why the performance of this patch is exactly what we should expect. They've painted themselves into a corner by releasing to PTU before they were ready, and now they're completely hosed.

From the "developing an actual game" perspective, CIG has made stunningly bad decisions at every conceivable turn. And because they're crowdfunded, they are unable to make the hard choices. Anything that could move them forward, but gives the backers the illusion of moving backwards (like taking out some systems to fix the underlying code) is not even an option. Which means they're going to doggedly push ahead, for better screenshots, more systems, more ships, and more :pgabz:.

In simpler words, sunk cost fallacy is powerful. Which comes to no surprise, given how the average person greatly underestimates how fallible their judgement capabilities actually are.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I'm toying with ideas on how to make it appear like we are in a huge universe, without actually building one. I was really impressed by doom3 using radio contact to make you feel like a massive battle of hundreds of people was going on, when they only showed you fighting.

Similar ideas: maps of a huge ship, but you can't leave your small area. This could be because the contractor never made the rest of the ship, or just because you are blocked off in some way. We could give the illusion of activity with radio messages or randomly generated emails - I know the Star Trek Facebook steam game does something like that.

Ship's computer is that Markov bot of course, and I liked the streaming news idea of battles - I think we could come up with a bunch of similar news feeds that just scroll continuously - I know uplink does semi random news emails about major hacking, for example.

Having a big star map (with much of it labeled restricted space) does the same thing. Illusion of a huge world, without having to build one. The computer could refuse to fly you there because it's instant death, and if you cut the restriction wires and fly there, you get the death screen just like it said :D

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

:perfect:

:pgabz: bringing glory to the Stimpire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chin posted:

TL;DW:

The associate producer of the persistent universe in Austin talks about how they're helping out with SQ42 stuff.

In the UK they're done with physicalized EVA despite it looking awful, the Vanduul race is nailed down so now it's going to character art, and they're still trying to figure out how taking damage will work in FPS gameplay.

In Germany they're still mostly planning.

There's like two hours of Disco interviewing the composer that I'm not going to watch even at 2x speed.

At the end they do a comedy bit about how Ben talks forever about Wing Commander bullshit and Sandy actually looks bored and annoyed. Method acting:

Hi Ben and Sandi! Please do a skit on weight loss.

You can use this as inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grlSpiim7U

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What in the everloving gently caress are the QA people actually doing at CIG?

What QA people?
Clearly you know nothing about game development.
QA at this very dynamic stage of development would only slow things down.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Uhh... did you forget that the backers are the testers? There's nothing that would indicate otherwise.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIeY2sEaW8

more stimpire commando footage.

reminder that physicalized EVA was probably the biggest feature added to 2.2. The monthly report refers to it as an example of advancing the FPS gameplay.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Excellent work and music choice commando.

They could ditch squad 42 and make a space breakdancing simulator

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
CR accepts his award for "Most Black Shirts" at LA Bar Citizen 2016

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 5, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I learnt today that space has viscosity.
The virtual parp boson is responsible for internal resistance of 'sticky' space, giving rise to the phenomenon of swimming in space.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/164140/any-dad-son-or-mom-daughter-teams

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm starting to think 2.2 Live is going to prove entertaining.

Aside from the EVA making the game even more transparently broken than 2.1, there are murmers in the brown sea that the NPC space pirates have been removed entirely. Noone's been able to find one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

son: but dad I don't want to play this game, it sucks

dad: NICE TRY DEREK SHART

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIeY2sEaW8

more stimpire commando footage.

reminder that physicalized EVA was probably the biggest feature added to 2.2 2.1, then subsequently removed for further iteration before release again in 2.2. The monthly report refers to it as an example of advancing the FPS gameplay.

They haven't actually added anything engine-wise since the first few 2.1 releases. Just more ships with no new systems. Not a single piece of new functionality beyond the "go to your room & think about what you've done, filthy griefer" bullshit.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Aside from the EVA making the game even more transparently broken than 2.1, there are murmers in the brown sea that the NPC space pirates have been removed entirely. Noone's been able to find one.

They got to work on and bug test the fundamentals like walking before they introduce high level concepts like enemy NPCs.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
yep 2.2 Live is completely borked, beyond 2.1 even.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/490y27/psa_new_patch_is_extraordinarily_buggy/

We gonna eat.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm starting to think 2.2 Live is going to prove entertaining.

Did they actually up the instance limit to 24 this time? And make it stick? Removing NPCs might be a good way to make that work. They might be able to squeeze another 8 people in there if they get rid of everything but the ships.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

Did they actually up the instance limit to 24 this time? And make it stick? Removing NPCs might be a good way to make that work. They might be able to squeeze another 8 people in there if they get rid of everything but the ships.

they have kept it up 24 for the Live release. I was thinking the same thing.

cixorez
Aug 19, 2015

Action-Hank's #1 Rule:

"It's wrong to be a Brony !!"

peter gabriel posted:

plz

For the love of square bracket Commando’s Deity of Choice square bracket

Do solemnly swear to us that you will eventually do your own version of "making of the paaarpverse" without fear comma favour comma or thought of perFonal Fafety comma laying down your commando's life if neceFary in the cauFe of said duty comma

So help you bracket aforeFaid Deity bracket full stop

Gods Save the King stroke Queen stroke Stimperor bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket full stop.

ps.: If u need to start a KS for that monumentous full-length-feature-movie im fully prepared to pay up for it in beer, smokes, munchy snacks, catnip, whatever is your poison...

pps.: may the great discworld-creator forgive my borrowing some of his divine lines

ppps.: posting catte pic as Penance

He lived his first year on this dirtball out in the forest before his mother decided to show up at an acquaintance's house with her offspring of semi-young cattes before a winter
Never was one to play nice catte either with humins or other animals except my doge for some reason and very close family

At one point he had a car accident which shattered one of his hindlegs and fractured the other one, also all his lower little frontteeth were gone, only the 4 big ones and uppers remained
We found him a day later under the the bushes in front of the house where he must have had dragged himself (through a cast-iron fence) on his frontpaws

The resident Vet wanted to put him to down as a 'lost cause' but we instead left and found another one who was willing to do surgery and drainage and the full works including a 10cm long nail along one of his hindlegs (which had to be taken out again after some more years when he suddenly started limping cause the grown-back-together bone now made the tip of the nail stick out and prick into the joint ever time he moved...)

But:
Even after getting back on his feet he continued to amaze us with the stuff he dragged in every few days: ranging from Mice, Hamsters, Birds (the non-procedural-hard-to-catch variety) up to at least 2 confirmed field-rabbit killz (which i butchered as good as i could and shared between him and the doge)

He was a very good catte and im sure Great Bastet welcomed him with open paws...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
They still don't have a patcher?

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Madcosby posted:

Wow you really showed him by pre-purchasing an unproven product!

Luckily your post is ironic and not retarded

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Fargin Icehole posted:

They still don't have a patcher?

Nope!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48w6iz/the_reddit_220_on_live_feedback_thread/?sort=confidence

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Broccoli Cat posted:

I could only go back 1 page, but I think I have handle on current events.

a backwards handle?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

a backwards handle?

Eldnah?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Funny how many shitizens are training their children to be their turret gunners LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

LOL at the downvotes

never change :reddit:

• Locked thread