Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of this, the house I grew up in had a fan in the attic that, when turned on, made a hell of a lot of noise and moved a shitload of air. It was great when the temperature was nice outside -- we'd open the windows and turn it on. My parents called it the "attic fan". Is "whole house fan" the proper name for that kind of thing?

I grew up in a house built in 1909 that had a whole house fan, and we just called it the "attic fan".

It was massive too, at least 4 feet in diameter, and was belt driven.

All of the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms had transom windows that allowed airflow through the rooms and to the fan with the doors closed. Worked great for the HVAC as well, since the upstairs return was right next to the attic fan vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
In my moms house her dad installed a literal airplane propeller as a diy attic fan. She said is worked well but I can't imagine they had any attic insulation.

Fe: circa 1950s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

In my moms house her dad installed a literal airplane propeller as a diy attic fan. She said is worked well but I can't imagine they had any attic insulation.

Fe: circa 1950s

Is your mom's name Dorothy? :witch:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: 400 BTUs of Air Conditioning, And As Many Posts About It

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

High Lord Elbow posted:

If you have allergies, this is an awful idea. You're basically creating a "whole house filter" for tremendous volumes of outside air.

That presumes the outside air is worse than what's inside which isn't always the case. Turning on the attic fan after a good rainstorm knocked all the pollen out of the air made everyone breath easier when I was growing up.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Eh, there's better ways of cooling off the house if you really want fresh air inside. They do make filtered make up air type units you can install in your house to get free cooling.
Get fresh air with none of the crap!

Of course, when I build my house I'm getting one of those electrostatic filters, and a commercial grade UV setup in my air handler.
I already have the commercial grade UV light setup, and let me tell you, that makes a huge difference in air quality.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Honestly, a good breeze is all I need most of the time. That and an icepack on the back of my neck, and I can go quite comfortably through the night. AC is nice when i'm just coming in from outside though. Going back again to my very tentative and exploratory tiny house ideas, I think all I'd need for AC is one of those nifty things: http://www.icybreeze.com/ or hack together a smaller http://kooleraire.com/ and well planned insulation and dehumidification. But I'm sure i'm wrong and will suffer mightily.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 5, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's basically just a fan blowing over a cooler full of ice, you know? Not really a long-term prospect. If you're not someplace very humid, you'd probably be better off with a swamp cooler, or just a smallish portable AC unit.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah those things are pretty garbage for any real cooling application. If you're serious about building a tiny house, for any real humidity control/cooling your best bet would be to look into a ductless minisplit, if you don't want to go full central air. Minisplits are great for those applications, as they have a few different modes, and unlike window shakers they can actually be serviced and don't get all moldy and gross.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

We had a similar setup in our server room back when I was network tech at a distributor. Most were taped over with a note saying "Don't touch!" above them. Not sure why it was wired that way but that's what they did. I was afraid to touch some of the switches.

It also had a bucket to catch roof leaks sitting on a really sketchy shelf and a hole in the floor that drained into a 4 foot high crawlspace where the water heater was and the cabling went. This crawlspace was in between the first and second floors behind a steel door. Very strange.

I wish I had a picture. It was a classic server room with a "Magic - More Magic" switch and wiring that worked but made no sense so you just had to let it be lest you face the wrath of the networking gods.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of this, the house I grew up in had a fan i[/url]n the attic that, when turned on, made a hell of a lot of noise and moved a shitload of air. It was great when the temperature was nice outside -- we'd open the windows and turn it on. My parents called it the "attic fan". Is "whole house fan" the proper name for that kind of thing?

My wife and I are thinking of buying a house maybe within the next five years, and that's a feature I'd love / love to add.

Attic fans are the absolute best thing ever invented, there's nothing better than getting the rush of cool clean nighttime air flowing through the whole house, it's just incredible--I would take that over AC any day. I'm still trying to figure out how to install one in my house.

I think people are confusing attic ventilation fans:

with whole house attic fans:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

I found that applying heat control window film made an unbelievable difference. I had my south-facing single-pane windows covered with heavy white curtains and it was still unbearably hot in summer, adding reflective heat control film cut the temperature in my bedroom by 10-20F and rendered AC unnecessary on many days. It also made a huge difference in winter, I'm barely using the heater now.

Is this stuff removable, or permanent? I'm guessing the latter. I live in an apartment that gets solar blasted during the summer and the idea intrigues me, though not sure if it's worth installing if I will only be here a couple more years at most.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

Is this stuff removable, or permanent? I'm guessing the latter. I live in an apartment that gets solar blasted during the summer and the idea intrigues me, though not sure if it's worth installing if I will only be here a couple more years at most.

The stuff I've seen uses double sided tape. It's not permanent but it will stay put if you don't mess with it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Buff Skeleton posted:

They sell both adhesive-backed and static-cling versions. The adhesive-backed versions are harder to install properly, but stay securely once installed. The static-cling version is harder to get to stay in place because it wants to peel back off, but if you have problems you can peel it off and re-apply as-needed. You can remove the adhesive-backed stuff by spraying up water and letting it soak in, but I've never tried. We went with the static-cling stuff and ended up taping the corners in place on some of our windows where it kept wanting to peel off.

Gila Platinum Heat Control Peel And Cling Window Film 36"x6.5ft $32.78 (I got this)
Gila Platinum Heat Control Residential Window Film 36"x15ft $36.99
Gila Window Film Application Tool Kit $8.97 (mini squeegee, film cutter, lint-free cloth, cleaning solution)

Here's a spec sheet for Gila residential window films, this used to be on their website but they took it down :( The Platinum film allows through 30% of the sun's light, this seems like it would be dim, but the human eye's response to light is logarithmic, so to get half the apparent brightness you need only 10% of the light. This means that 30% brightness looks only a bit less bright than 100%. Some people say you shouldn't apply heat control window film to double-pane windows because the heat can damage their seals or even break them, but the research I did indicated this was only an issue for non-reflective and blackout films that produce way more heat. Mostly this seemed to be FUD from window manufacturers and installers trying to convince you to pay way more to upgrade to better windows rather than just applying cheap film to existing or lower-cost windows. I would also note that a reflective film makes it difficult to see from the bright side to the dark side, so people won't be able to see through your windows during the day, but it may also affect your view out at night. They make fancier "double-reflective" films that are more reflective in one direction than the other if this matters to you. If you live in a HOA or condo or something check their policies about what you can put on your windows.

Also, aluminum foil works even better since you're reflecting 100% of solar energy (or 100% of heat back in in winter), even if it looks lovely. I foiled over a south-facing utility room window that wasn't visible from off our property and now I can do laundry during the summer without praying for death.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 5, 2016

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh, nice! Thanks for the links. Gonna check this out as it'll be an inferno in Atlanta as usual before long.

I actually need some sunlight, as I have a ton of houseplants all over the place. I did a quick search and discovered that window film won't hurt them, and might even help some: http://homerous.com/can-window-tinting-affect-your-indoor-plants/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Liquid Communism posted:

That's basically just a fan blowing over a cooler full of ice, you know? Not really a long-term prospect. If you're not someplace very humid, you'd probably be better off with a swamp cooler, or just a smallish portable AC unit.

Actually, the Icybreeze pretty interesting. It pumps ice water from the cooler into a condenser. I've seen them demonstrated, and because the ice stays pretty isolated from the exterior atmosphere, you can get a few pounds of ice to last for two or three days. And you'v got an ice cold drink from the tap. The second one, the KoolerAire, is pretty much just a fan in an ice chest.

Swamps are actually a bad place to run a 'swamp' cooler. http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/swamp-cooler.htm You need an arid environment for a swamp cooler to work. It's also why those stupid expensive blue towels they show off on TV don't work in Florida/Louisiana/The Souf. poo poo aint evaporating when the air's too wet to rain.

Now, I don't know if it's bullshit or not, so if anyone's actually used one of these, I'd love to know! I will look into the ductless minisplit. This model in particular intreigues me: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-10..._-204712072-_-N , and it's only a bit more expensive then the Icybreeze. The power draw would be something to take into consideration.

Let's hope the things I learn here prevent me from making my own crappy construction x.x I do appreciate any and all input, as it will hopefully let me avoid doing dumb things! Like building a tiny house!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Buff Skeleton posted:

I actually need some sunlight, as I have a ton of houseplants all over the place. I did a quick search and discovered that window film won't hurt them, and might even help some: http://homerous.com/can-window-tinting-affect-your-indoor-plants/
They do make other kinds of films that block less or almost no visible light, though they are less effective at heat control. For example the Gila Light Heat Control Film would let in 1/3 more light than the Platinum film (40% vs 30%), while still rejecting 60% of heat vs 70% for the Platinum. I'm no plant guy but I'd expect a net gain if you can open curtains more because of reduced heat and glare.

For anyone who is buying a new place, you might consider hiring pros to tint your windows. It's not particularly expensive and saves a lot of time, you'll probably have access to a wider variety of film materials, and they might be able to do exterior applications (which are more effective since it keeps heat on the outside of the capsule).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

OSU_Matthew posted:

Attic fans are the absolute best thing ever invented, there's nothing better than getting the rush of cool clean nighttime air flowing through the whole house, it's just incredible--I would take that over AC any day. I'm still trying to figure out how to install one in my house.

http://www.amazon.com/AirKing-9166-Whole-House-Window/dp/B0007Q3RQ6

Alereon posted:

For anyone who is buying a new place, you might consider hiring pros to tint your windows. It's not particularly expensive and saves a lot of time, you'll probably have access to a wider variety of film materials, and they might be able to do exterior applications (which are more effective since it keeps heat on the outside of the capsule).

The other thing you can do is put in shading (like awnings). The right amount of overhang will cut summer heat while letting it in during the colder months.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Now, I don't know if it's bullshit or not, so if anyone's actually used one of these, I'd love to know! I will look into the ductless minisplit. This model in particular intreigues me: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-10..._-204712072-_-N , and it's only a bit more expensive then the Icybreeze. The power draw would be something to take into consideration.

Any single hose portable air conditioner is poo poo, because it has to blow interior conditioned air out a window (which means suck in unconditioned air). Two hose models can be decentish, but still not any better than a window AC.

If you want to DIY a ductless mini split install, there are some models with quick connects, like the Friedrich Breeze, that don't need any special HVAC equipment to install. Unless you live somewhere very cold, it can efficiently cover both your cooling and heating requirements for a tiny house.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zhentar posted:

If you want to DIY a ductless mini split install, there are some models with quick connects, like the Friedrich Breeze, that don't need any special HVAC equipment to install. Unless you live somewhere very cold, it can efficiently cover both your cooling and heating requirements for a tiny house.

Someone I know who rents out a handful of flats replaces the (typically old inefficient and lovely) gas boilers with mini air con units because they're cheaper to service and run (and he doesn't need to get them checked like boilers). I think he puts in electric water heaters too?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Thanks for the earlier advice on finding a builder, as promised here's the thread on our little project if you want to follow along:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767040&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post457102192

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have blowers from a retired 1/10th scale wind tunnel installed in my attic. It has the added benefit of cleaning the house as everything gets forced up at mach 2.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sylink posted:

I have blowers from a retired 1/10th scale wind tunnel installed in my attic. It has the added benefit of cleaning the house as everything gets forced up at mach 2.

:catbert:

this requires video, you know this. why you have to tease?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sylink posted:

:frogon:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Its like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMAxANavKY&t=15s

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here (USA) have professional knowledge of NFPA part 54?

My RInnai direct vent gas furnace is installed in the basement, and says that must adhere to NFPA 54.
I signed up at NFPA and read it a few times, from what I can tell, this means that the exhaust gas vent extensions cannot be mounted where they not inspectable, and that joints in the vent extensions cannot be concealed.

Of course, mine are installed behind the drywall, no access without ripping out drywall.

Just curious if I am understanding the NFPA part 54 correctly.

The Rinnai installation manual shows the pipes routed outside the drywall in a basement installation.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

some_admin posted:

Does anyone here (USA) have professional knowledge of NFPA part 54?

My RInnai direct vent gas furnace is installed in the basement, and says that must adhere to NFPA 54.
I signed up at NFPA and read it a few times, from what I can tell, this means that the exhaust gas vent extensions cannot be mounted where they not inspectable, and that joints in the vent extensions cannot be concealed.

Of course, mine are installed behind the drywall, no access without ripping out drywall.

Just curious if I am understanding the NFPA part 54 correctly.

The Rinnai installation manual shows the pipes routed outside the drywall in a basement installation.

Check out this thread where a variety of goons will tell you about your imminent demise from carbon monoxide poisoning: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yep, thats exactly the kind of thing I am worried about. Imminent CO poisoning OR the house burning down. OR both.

We're super aggravated because the HVAC *contractor put these Rinnai heaters in with too long of a pipe and too many elbows and now the flame chamber and heat exchanger are
rusting out 5 years into ~20 year lifespan.

* = supposedly RInnai certified, at the top of their website for local installers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

some_admin posted:

Yep, thats exactly the kind of thing I am worried about. Imminent CO poisoning OR the house burning down. OR both.

We're super aggravated because the HVAC *contractor put these Rinnai heaters in with too long of a pipe and too many elbows and now the flame chamber and heat exchanger are
rusting out 5 years into ~20 year lifespan.

* = supposedly RInnai certified, at the top of their website for local installers.

Call Rinnai and say you are worried their certified installer did not do the job up to code?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh, we've already talked to lots of folks, Rinnai, city code, contractor, sub contractor, other Rinnai installers companies Blah blah etc.
life goes on, maybe I'll just reinstall it myself.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

some_admin posted:

Oh, we've already talked to lots of folks, Rinnai, city code, contractor, sub contractor, other Rinnai installers companies Blah blah etc.
life goes on, maybe I'll just reinstall it myself.

If you do not yet have a CO Monitor, you can get one off amazon for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COPP-B-LPM-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-Digital/dp/B004Y6V5CI

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kidde makes good stuff. I kept one of those in our old house in case the lovely 30 year old heater tried to kill us.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Avoid the FirstAlert battery operated models. I had a couple where the battery had a loose fit, and thus would unpower the unit if you shook it. I sent those back and got a couple AC-powered CO monitors with battery backup instead - way better idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They just don’t make ’em like they used to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

They just don’t make ’em like they used to.

I was on a demo crew that tore down a motel from the 1940s. Every bathroom in 40 units had a blade slot in the medicine cabinet and they just dropped inside the wall. 40 years of double edged and injector blades rusted into sharp sculpture of maiming. Shoveling that stuff out was tricky.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I never quite understood the logic behind blade slots. Were people just like, "gently caress the future" when they built them?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I never quite understood the logic behind blade slots. Were people just like, "gently caress the future" when they built them?

What future are they loving?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Razor blades are very thin, and the space to dump 'em is much likely to not fill up before the service life of the building is up. So, why not? Especially since the greater evil is to leave razor blades in open garbage, bathroom counter or god knows where else, for kids to find.

The Gardenator posted:

If you do not yet have a CO Monitor, you can get one off amazon for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COPP-B-LPM-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-Digital/dp/B004Y6V5CI
For $9 more you can get a plugin model
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COPP...RX6E1AHARFN84VR

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 12, 2016

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Yes. The logic is "Its not going to fill to the brim during our time and its not going to be our problem if it eventually does."
I've heard of similar blade slots that just drop the blades into crawlspace, you can imagine it being much worse solution than "inside a wall"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

See also the oil industry, nuclear power, farming, motor industry, chemical etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a weird idea, but I don't think it's a particularly bad one. Even if you used a new blade every day, it would take decades to fill up the wall; the steel itself is inert and non-toxic, so there's no environmental damage; and the only time you'll even see them is if the house gets demolished or renovated, in which case you've already got all the tools and equipment to handle a bunch of sharp rusty metal safely.

If someone was super forward-thinking, they could put a galvanized steel box in behind to collect the blades and that'd solve any problems.

e: also it was the 1950s and everyone was going to get nuked by the USSR any day now so who cares about some razor blades in the wall