Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Can you imagine how terrible it'd be to have an angsty teen who was completely justified? So many of these dudes must have blown up the people responsible for gene modding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Peztopiary posted:

Can you imagine how terrible it'd be to have an angsty teen who was completely justified? So many of these dudes must have blown up the people responsible for gene modding them.

Coming to that conclusion about these guys requires more thought about them than the authors cared to give them. The authors wanted to natter on about nanites and memes like Hideo Kojima on a whiskey bender. They don't actually care about rendering people acting like people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm beginning to suspect that we shouldn't be taking these people seriously you guys.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes, of "first they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win" element they're definitely stuck in the 'us mocking them' stage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

AI has so far never benefited from trying to give it consciousness, and we don't have any indication it might be helpful. So far, machine intelligence has been good particularly where it's unlike people, not like people (to a first approximation).

Yeah I realize it's like that in real life but I'm talking about magical future sci-fi matrix skynet AI that is what nerds think of when they think AI, not boring realistic learning machine AI.

Cingulate posted:

There is a trend for AI to become less and less interpretable. Deep learning nets are very opaque.

I thought one of the only reliable ways to avoid nets creating weird anomalies was to go in and hand-trim out the weird poo poo, how would you do that if you can't see what it's doing?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, of "first they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win" element they're definitely stuck in the 'us mocking them' stage.

first they ignore you, then they mock you, then they keep mocking you, then hey stop mocking me guys, come on please :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I thought one of the only reliable ways to avoid nets creating weird anomalies was to go in and hand-trim out the weird poo poo, how would you do that if you can't see what it's doing?
It's automated. You manually decide what regularization (dumbing-down) to use, and you decide on the net size, and you can set up a training scheme where the net only sees part of the data at first. But it's much too complicated to do by hand. Neural nets are really complicated. The Karpathy article I linked to shows how complex it can be to try and figure out how they do what they do.

An example for how this works is drop-out. For this, on each training run, a fraction of the neurons (e.g. 20%) is set to zero, or to a random variable. The net now has to learn how to figure out stuff when every time it does anything, 20% of its units are pure noise. If you have a hidden layer with 1000s of neurons, and you train for millions and more iterations, this forces the next to find the patterns behind the details.
If you regularize well enough, you can use very large networks for small problems, although the additional benefit is small because you have a lot of redundancy.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When does an AI successfully run through Tomb of Horrors? Get Deep Blue to do that, and I'd be really impressed
Not sure if you're referring to that, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY
There is a lot of ... interesting work on getting AI to be super good at Super Mario.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Dreddout posted:

I will always assume the worst in people who came up with "Homo Jihadi". :colbert:

Those aren't the guys fighting for the Queer Caliphate?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

It's automated. You manually decide what regularization (dumbing-down) to use, and you decide on the net size, and you can set up a training scheme where the net only sees part of the data at first. But it's much too complicated to do by hand. Neural nets are really complicated. The Karpathy article I linked to shows how complex it can be to try and figure out how they do what they do.

An example for how this works is drop-out. For this, on each training run, a fraction of the neurons (e.g. 20%) is set to zero, or to a random variable. The net now has to learn how to figure out stuff when every time it does anything, 20% of its units are pure noise. If you have a hidden layer with 1000s of neurons, and you train for millions and more iterations, this forces the next to find the patterns behind the details.
If you regularize well enough, you can use very large networks for small problems, although the additional benefit is small because you have a lot of redundancy.

Not sure if you're referring to that, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY
There is a lot of ... interesting work on getting AI to be super good at Super Mario.

AI can already play Wolfenstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIqjcUeeKMU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, if we're going to teach a computer to kill, might as well teach it to kill nazis.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is in the real world, nazis oftentimes look very much like everyone else.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Well most of the time they don't look like Beyonce

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

The problem is in the real world, nazis oftentimes look very much like everyone else.

code:
if jackboots == true
{
kill_nazis;
}
else break;

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

They may look like Jay-Z though.

But in principle I agree, women have historically been underrepresented wrt. genocide.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

neonnoodle posted:

You must have missed the Super Bowl where she was dressed as a :gasp: Black Panther

#whitegenocide
#whereswhitepeoplemonth
#whatisablackpanther

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

This is the premise for a bunch of great Grant Morrison comics. He also mentions Nootropics a bunch. I expect Phil Sandifer will say something really clever about the connection between him and the NrX that I hope doesn't exist.

Grant Morrison is a self-described wizard who describes comic books as the medium through which he casts his spells. In the very least, he probably wouldn't insist his spooky alien memes are hard science.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I realize it's like that in real life but I'm talking about magical future sci-fi matrix skynet AI that is what nerds think of when they think AI, not boring realistic learning machine AI.

Ooh, this is legitimately really fun. And your point about debug output on the previous page is also well-taken.

Yes, we definitely can see what a neural net is doing. If you really, really wanted to, you'd be able to trace a decision all the way from the output layer back to the inputs. It's all deterministic. But it would take so long and be so complicated that it would be borderline meaningless. You could ask "would similar inputs have caused a similar output or is this a point discontinuity?", and figure out the answer automatically. The thing is, you can't really do much with that data later, because the training process is so hard to grasp (and getting harder to grasp as we put more and more layers into our deep nets).

Fun fact: deepdream was invented to give us more insight into what our image processing neural nets are doing. So now we have stuff like this:

And even with that spectacular debugging output, we still didn't hand-trim anything because we just don't know what to trim. We learned a few cool facts, like what training data to focus on adding to our training set, but nothing on the level of "neuron 12_j needs a stronger connection to neuron 13_q".

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

Grant Morrison is a self-described wizard who describes comic books as the medium through which he casts his spells. In the very least, he probably wouldn't insist his spooky alien memes are hard science.

Depends on what you mean by 'hard science'. In Supergods he misinterprets quantum physics to imply that some of his wilder ideas may be true. There's also something about solar weather predicting youth culture shifts - you (and by 'you' I mean 'Phil') could connect the NrX to the Imperial/Stormer youth he identifies, but it's a bit of a long bow.
At least he admits it's all based on masturbation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

To be specific he wrote The Invisibles as a giant piece of Chaos Magick intended to influence the world at large and his life in particular, even more specifically he wrote about the authorial insert character (better than it sounds I swear) banging a redhead because he wanted to bang a redhead

He has since married a redhead, so maybe he's onto something

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Literally The Worst posted:

To be specific he wrote The Invisibles as a giant piece of Chaos Magick intended to influence the world at large and his life in particular, even more specifically he wrote about the authorial insert character (better than it sounds I swear) banging a redhead because he wanted to bang a redhead

He has since married a redhead, so maybe he's onto something

It came at a price: when King Mob got sick in the comic, Morrison got sick. He claims he cured himself by promising to make the disease famous by writing it into the comic.
Is there a thread where I can ramble on about GM for pages and talk about the amazing poo poo I almost half-believe? I don't want to derail this thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

One of the messages he put in the back of an issue was that sales were dropping and the comic was at risk of being canceled, so could everyone who wanted to save it please participate in a global sex magick by masturbating to climax at this exact date and time, tia.

I believe Crowley called this technique "the publicity stunt".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

One of the messages he put in the back of an issue was that sales were dropping and the comic was at risk of being canceled, so could everyone who wanted to save it please participate in a global sex magick by masturbating to climax at this exact date and time, tia.

I believe Crowley called this technique "the publicity stunt".

book got finished though so again maybe that dude is onto something

besides peyote

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Of the two wizards, Moore is preferable.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Peztopiary posted:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is good, All Star Superman is good, they're both lunatics.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

I prefer Morrison, but I also like Moore.
Now read Phil's series about their magickal war
If he abandons it because the NrX gets more clicks,
I'll kick Moldbug and Land in their useless dicks.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Mar 5, 2016

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is good, All Star Superman is good, they're both lunatics.

Promethea is fantastic; The Invisibles is also fantastic; and I expect both gentlemen are well enough off that they're called "eccentrics" instead of "weirdoes".

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

I prefer Morrison, but I also like Moore.
Now read Phil's series about their magickal war
It he abandons it because the NrX gets more clicks,
I'll kick Moldbug and Land in their useless dicks.

I've been working my way through that. I'm on a phone, which makes for slow going. Nice poem.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
where did all the rapefugee bullshit start

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

With some extremist immigrants who committed mass rape, saying it's because of the oppression of their people

and apparently being human means we don't enforce the law

according to racist fuckers like Sargon of Arkkad, who couldn't even manage to answer the Michael interview on what a "regressive" is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Do you think thirty years down the road, anyone is going to have a change of heart and feel vaguely embarrassed about being redpilled by Moldbug?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do you think thirty years down the road, anyone is going to have a change of heart and feel vaguely embarrassed about being redpilled by Moldbug?

I think even now there's a lot of "Moldbug was wrong to say x + y = z" from people who fortunately for their fragile egos have found or formulated other, "better" reasons to stump for z.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

where did all the rapefugee bullshit start
I guess approximately 1712. Before Christ. 1712 Million Years BC.

It's literally the oldest of racist cliches.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Oh, thank god I found this thread. I have a friend whose politics have always been hard to tolerate, but lately he's gotten really into this "alt-right" poo poo and I'm constantly having to listen to references to Nick Land, Moldbug, and their ilk when I try to have a conversation with him about anything. I thought this stuff was too obscure to be snarked here, but apparently not (which is kind of depressing, actually).

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pookel posted:

Oh, thank god I found this thread. I have a friend whose politics have always been hard to tolerate, but lately he's gotten really into this "alt-right" poo poo and I'm constantly having to listen to references to Nick Land, Moldbug, and their ilk when I try to have a conversation with him about anything. I thought this stuff was too obscure to be snarked here, but apparently not (which is kind of depressing, actually).

I gotta say I'm glad that I don't know anyone IRL who was #redpilledbymoldbug

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Whether or not something has a mock thread on SA is a product of obscurity and ridiculousness, and while the alt-right is still relatively obscure their ridiculousness quotient is through the roof.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

SA has always been about laughing at communities of creeplords no matter how pathetic and obscure they are.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To be honest I'm fairly surprised this thread managed to not be pruned in the renaissance period of mock threads, then making one mega mock thread, then hardly any.

Seriously though the mega mock thread was a mistake from the beginning. Not only did things like Hackers deleting a dying girl's youtube and framing it on their patsies get side swiped in favor of john cheese, but everyone kind of started to buy into outrage culture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's outrage culture?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I dunno but you better bring it back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

What's outrage culture?

A culture that basically lives to be offended. It starts off with you laughing at genuinely offensive/bad things but ends up with someone posting a cat picture and everyone bursting forward to say the camera angle was wrong or that they picked the wrong kind of cat to photograph and so the photographer should be murdered and FUUUUUUCK THIS rear end in a top hat.

It's an unhealthy thing.