Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Fluorescent pink from any of the major ranges? It's very radical. You should definitely be applying it over white.

Note- regardless of brand fluorescent paint is kinda a pain to work with because it's always pretty transparent.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

richyp posted:

EDIT: Just ordered some Scale 75 Paints and Washes

As per usual, let me know if you find any really excellent colors and I'll add them to the list.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Avenging Dentist posted:

As per usual, let me know if you find any really excellent colors and I'll add them to the list.

I really like the whole NMM Steel Set (the blues I think are Arctic, Caspian, Bering, Abyssal) which are Shadow-Grey style desaturated blues. I don't love the base skintones but the African/Indian/Arabic Shadow colors are great.

E: for content here's a WIP, her dress and eyes are mostly Scale75 Carribean Blue shaded with VMC Dark Sea Blue. The red on the flowers is Aldebaran Red (or Antares, I don't remember which one is the pure blood red and not the orangey one)

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Fluorescent pink from any of the major ranges? It's very radical. You should definitely be applying it over white.

Just pure white? Sometimes that ends up looking too odd and bright and makes for harder highlighting, which is why I asked if another layer is usually applied first.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Just pure white? Sometimes that ends up looking too odd and bright and makes for harder highlighting, which is why I asked if another layer is usually applied first.

Depends on how radical you are going, I guess. If you want xtreme radical then absolutely fluorescent over pure white. Fluorescents cover for poo poo and being extremely bright is what they're there for.

If you want just a little radical then you can use whatever your normal painting process is with non fluorescent pinks. Basecoat shouldn't matter too much.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Hey guys what are some good pinks for making rad hot rod space ships and vehicles? Also what's the best way to get them to look nice? Plain white primer? Plain white with a warmer undercoat?

Like you want them to be glossy like a hot rod? Iv used Tamiya Clear Coats to make hot rod red and it worked really well.

You prime black, then paint metallic silver then use the clear coat. Makes it look like a new car.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Wow, this is excellent looking. I love the detail in the skin, especially the veins.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Depends on how radical you are going, I guess. If you want xtreme radical then absolutely fluorescent over pure white. Fluorescents cover for poo poo and being extremely bright is what they're there for.

If you want just a little radical then you can use whatever your normal painting process is with non fluorescent pinks. Basecoat shouldn't matter too much.
Oh yeah I did say really radical so yeah I guess I should go balls to the wall with the flourescent pink. I have livery green to go with it too. :getin: Is there a more "normal" pink though? I was hoping I could use the more fluorescent one as highlights. I understand that for really bright colors you might be stuck with painting the highlight and you have to work at shading it otherwise. Is that my only option here?

TouchToneDialing posted:

Like you want them to be glossy like a hot rod? Iv used Tamiya Clear Coats to make hot rod red and it worked really well.

You prime black, then paint metallic silver then use the clear coat. Makes it look like a new car.
Just the paint job. I hate gloss finishes and always make sure it's matte afterwards, including cockpits.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

They've been despatched today so fingers crossed they should be here sometime tomorrow. I'll have a play around with various combinations of paints, mediums and inks on some of the unpainted Calth Marines I bought before I realised I actually wanted to paint anything but Space Marines. If I get some time I'll do a side by side of a couple of the colours vs VMC and GW.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a more "normal" pink though? I was hoping I could use the more fluorescent one as highlights. I understand that for really bright colors you might be stuck with painting the highlight and you have to work at shading it otherwise. Is that my only option here?

My go to brightish pink is VMC pink 70958. You can highlight that with fluorescent pink by glazing up, but yeah, if I'm going super bright I start with the highlight and shade down. Reaper pale violet red, violet red, and burgundy wine are good for shading down pink, and also what I use to add color depth to my skintone shadows.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you. That's the advice I was looking for. :evilbuddy:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Took some pics of old stuff I need to unload, but figured I'd spam them here too. Because I can, dammit.

Salamanders <3

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
As the owner of some Salamanders I want to get rid of, let me say, dammit Fyrbrand.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gently caress yeah

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
A quick modelling question - does anyone else like to base tanks? A large base, of course, makes the model awkward to use in games, but I've found that a base just slightly larger than the footprint of the vehicle makes it more robust, prevents damage to the paint, and allows for some interesting modeling like mud and debris around the tracks. Plus, i really like the way it looks. I've used the baseplates of Warhammer modular basing trays in the past, since they were relatively cheap, tough, and easy to cut to the right size in dead straight lines. They've been discontinued for a while now though, and getting suprisingly expensive. Does anyone know of a good alternative, preferably plastic?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Galaspar posted:

A quick modelling question - does anyone else like to base tanks? A large base, of course, makes the model awkward to use in games, but I've found that a base just slightly larger than the footprint of the vehicle makes it more robust, prevents damage to the paint, and allows for some interesting modeling like mud and debris around the tracks. Plus, i really like the way it looks. I've used the baseplates of Warhammer modular basing trays in the past, since they were relatively cheap, tough, and easy to cut to the right size in dead straight lines. They've been discontinued for a while now though, and getting suprisingly expensive. Does anyone know of a good alternative, preferably plastic?

How thick, and are you willing to cut it yourself?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Roughly 3mm, and much as I'd rather not cut it myself, i think that's what I'll probably end up doing. Thick plasticard, a metal ruler and a bit of patience ought to do it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Galaspar posted:

Roughly 3mm, and much as I'd rather not cut it myself, i think that's what I'll probably end up doing. Thick plasticard, a metal ruler and a bit of patience ought to do it.

Litko.net's basemaker would be a good place to start. It'll be expensive but you can get exactly the rectangle you want in MDF or acrylic, laser cut.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Warbases might also have what you need. They're situated in the UK so it might take a bit to get there, but you can get a hell of a lot of MDF for cheap.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, good idea about the Sepia and brown washes, thanks. As for browns, I am not sure how much I will be able to get with my current paint scheme. (see above) It is wrought iron black and silver.

I dunno. This is the one idea of my army that makes me a bit nervous, because I think it will be cool and flavorful to have heavily worn and faded heraldry to identify where the renegade marine came from, but I just worry that it could end up making the army go from intimidating to Skittles. Maybe I will just make sure that each squad is segregated by color, rather than having mixed chapter squads.

Edit: Quoted image so that people wouldn't have to swap back and forth to reference what I am talking about.

I feel like if you mute the original colors of whatever chapter heraldry and add enough washes of black and browns and chipping of paint, and step up the gore/horror angle on the more brightly colored dudes, you should be okay. Like how this Ultramarine is dark blue and silver, washed down and darkened, rather than bright blue and gold.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A pair of WIP shots of the Chimera I'm working on right now but I'm not too sure if Elysian Green is the colour I should go for when it comes to edge highlighting it or if I should go for a darker green.
It is also frustrating to discover that the PSC British tank spray colour and VMC 924 Russian Uniform are in slightly different tones which makes any spot repairs noticeable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Here's my last couple of weeks painting. I'm really pleased considering I couldn't use my right hand for much of the last 9 months

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've just started trying to actively edge highlight my shermans instead of doing lazy drybrush and, while I am still Bad At Paints, holy poo poo is there a lot more definition on them. There's no way in hell that I'd have time to do this for a tankovy company, but for four shermans, it looks quite nice.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Got back to working on dropzone stuff after that armada sidetrack.

Previously i had tried to attach tails to my light dropships on top of the existing models but that never looked quite right. So today i made a little jig to accurately position them on the cnc mill and carved out a little pocket.

As a result the latest revision fits much better with the existing lines and i'm almost satisfied enough to do a little 12 piece run.

The only things i want to change as of now are stronger bevels and a different lower panel line on the vertical stabilizers. I'm thinking of putting it parallel to the bottom edge. If anyone can think of anything else i'd be happy about suggestions.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Walked into a mini store, owner saw me hovering over the scale 75 range and let me try them.

It's not a joke when people say they are gloopy as hell out of the bottle and they dry fast. But they were interesting to use and thinned down they layer super well. Pretty sure I'll pick some of the blues and whites once I finish my relocation.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Mango Polo posted:

Walked into a mini store, owner saw me hovering over the scale 75 range and let me try them.

It's not a joke when people say they are gloopy as hell out of the bottle and they dry fast. But they were interesting to use and thinned down they layer super well. Pretty sure I'll pick some of the blues and whites once I finish my relocation.

Coincidentally I just went outside to the garage and noticed a box left in back yard, turns out at some point today the delivery guy decided to leave these in my garden all day without letting me know.

Time to stick a pin in them and give them a test drive.

EDIT: I seem to be having an issue with the colours not really covering very well and the dried paint just rubbing off at the slightest touch for some reason.

Test mini, metal primed white.

Painted Blue, Red, Green, Yellow all 1:1 mix of Paint and Water mix(medium, water, flow enhancer) which is the same ratio as I use for VMC. The colours are only barely staining the white and working more like a glaze than I expected with reports of how thick they're supposed to be.

After painting those colours, I tried the inks on the back of the model which are really INKTENSE!! as Josh mentioned, but do work like GW washes if watered down about 3-4 times the amount of water to ink.

After 20 mins I picked the model up and the green, red and blue are just wiping off in little flecks like I used a pencil eraser on the model.

I'm also not really noticing the gloopiness, straight out of the bottle they're about the same as VMC for me and when thinned the same ratios I normally use are barely even colouring over white.

I did give them a pretty good shake and I'm not noticing any separation when dropping the paint onto the palette but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

FAKE EDIT: 30 mins since I painted the green now and I was just able to wipe it off the model completely. :(

EDIT 2: Image

The one coat test image (the flesh colour was painted over the original paint, the rest of the model was white). As you can see 1:1 thinned flesh wont even cover the previous paint, it barely glazed it, the green on the right rubbed off after 30 mins and the completely unthinned red was about as thin coverage as I'm used to with a heavily thinned VMC :?:

The sword was one coat of 1:1 gray water, and barely left a mark (it also completely wiped off the tip after I picked the model up to photo it, again after about 30 mins of drying time.

The only bits that seemed to work was the hair (Tenere Yellow and Watered down Brown Ink) and the pure brown ink over the rest of the brown. The green splotch over the blue is from when I picked the model up after touching the "dried" green paint and not noticing it had come off onto my finger :)

richyp fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 5, 2016

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
In the early 90s my father covered all of his RC airplanes in plastic sheets that he heated to shrink around the frame.

Is there anything small/thin enough to apply to miniature models? Could it be customized?

Yes, I want to wrap my starship.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I remember a while ago, a bunch of people talked about a specific miniatures painting series of tutorials (by some guy from BoardGameGeek, possibly). I thought his name started with an S. I'm looking for sort of a basic "start to finish" set of tutorials in one place (e.g. from priming to finishing).

I would appreciate if any kind Goon who remembers what I'm talking about could post a link, and I'll be smart enough to bookmark it this time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do you mean this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MiniwargamerJ?videos

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Sounds like Sorastro

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Scale 75 Test Attempt 2

Painted using only S75 paints hence why the face isn't done (I only have the base flesh colour, so it's not really detailed).

More success this time, turns out that the Flow Enhancer I use seems to really gently caress up the paint and as I always have a pot of water I think with that has it added I tried to rule out everything else. I'm still finding the paint takes a lot longer to dry than I'm used to with VMC, but it does make it really easy to blend with. The greys on the hexes were done in two greys and white all directly after another and the first colour was still wet when I moved on to grey.

I barely needed to thin the paints, certainly no where near as much as I do with VMC paints where I tend to use 2 or 3 parts water. Here I was just dipping the tip of my brush in water then stirring the paint on the palette with it once.

Something really weird with the green though, even after shaking it for about 5 mins it's still coming out of the bottle like luminious green translucent gel. Most of the really bad OSL attempt was done in greys then I just painted the green over the whole area due to how really thin it was followed with a few passes of yellow.

All in all I think I'll mostly be using them as details paints rather than using them for an entire model as I'm finding myself twiddling my thumbs literally watching paint dry and for basecoating that'll probably drive me nuts.

I'm finding the inks,are REALLY good though. They're very strong, as in ink from a fountain pen/cartridge pen strong. The lines on the grey hexes were painted with a 3:1 mix of black ink and water as were the lines on the rifle.

Colours testing and personal opinion:

Over grey primer.

Eclipse Grey
A nice base colour for black, it dries similar to a chalk board both in colour and texture. The black on this model is Eclipse Grey washed with the very watered down black ink.
A very matte VMC German Grey

Graphite Grey
The mid tone I used on the hexes on the leg. Decent standard grey similar colour to bare grey primer.
Closest to VMC Neutral Grey / Basalt Grey I guess.

Arctic Blue
One of the highlight colours for the grey hexes and weapon. A kind of old school Space Wolf Grey or VMC Sky grey with a tiny hint of blue. Nice all rounder.

White
Only really used to lighten the Arctic Blue, and the Sol Yellow.
It's white, in my attempts it had pretty poor coverage compared to other whites I've used. Over grey primer it took 3-4 passes to take.

Irati Green
The colour is really bright, but I think my bottle is odd or I'm using it wrong as it's not really behaving like paint unless I drybrush it. Using it like paint is like pulling a thin green shampoo over a model and just glazing the layer below.

Sol Yellow
Really bright Yellow, used as the highlight for the lighting. Painting over the green took a few layers but it did work well as a highlight for it. Equivalent to VMC Yellow or GW's old Bad Moon Yellow.

Inktense Black & Inktense Blue
:siren: Inktense!!! :siren: They're inks, VERY STRONG will completely cover anything under them and stay put like paint. Thinned about 5:1 with water the Black Ink will turn it into Nuln Oil with less pooling and staining. The hexes on the grey legs were washed with this then I used a drybrush to wipe the spills. The Blue Ink is very similar to ink from a blue pen with similar levels of glossiness. I'd probably thin it about 10:1 if I was shading red or green with it as it will just make everything blue otherwise, even at 3-5:1 it still looked like a pen had spilled onto the model. The hexes on the legs were washed with the blue after the first grey was painted in order to add a bit of a metallic look to them.

Overall, solid paints and inks and I can see why people rave about them. They're very different to work with than anything else I've used, and as JoshTheStampede and Mango Polo mentioned, they're "gloopy" but not thick, almost gel like but looks like paint not gel if that makes any sense at all :downs: Though I didn't think they dried quickly, quite the reverse, maybe its fast compared to other paints and not VMC?

For me personally and the way I paint I'll probably use them for individual one off models due to how long I was waiting for the paint to dry where as for units either 1 at or time or in groups I'll probably stick to VMC for the most part as I can be straight from one colour to the next without waiting, and I don't seem to have any issues with the various mediums I use in water. I WILL use the inks though as they're versatile as wash, glaze and for black lining and I'll most certainly use the paints for fine details as they're nice to control due to the lack of heavy thinning required compared to VMC.

Avenging Dentist posted:

From the ones I've used I'd definitely recommend:

Scale 75 Basic Flesh - Nice matte starting point for white skin. Don't have the other flesh colours, but I'm guessing they're all good.
Scale 75 Eclipse Grey - A really good base for "black" as it's almost black but not quite, i.e can be shaded with black and highlighted with lighter greys/blues.
Scale 75 Inktense Black - It's a black ink, not much to say but it'll have a tonne of uses.

richyp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 6, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Theres a local store that carries these i think, ill grab a few and give them a try next time i'm there.

That said, vmc fluo green with its abysmal coverage has been my go to for glow effects for years :v:

Also i got a paint set by andrea colour ages ago and ended up using the two highlight colours as main colours for my dropzone vehicles. I've looked through their range and they dont seem to sell these seperately. Does anyone happeb know equivalents? Worst case ill just buy another set or two, all the colours are useful i just need proportionally more of the highlights.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

richyp posted:

Overall, solid paints and inks and I can see why people rave about them. They're very different to work with than anything else I've used, and as JoshTheStampede and Mango Polo mentioned, they're "gloopy" but not thick, almost gel like but looks like paint not gel if that makes any sense at all :downs: Though I didn't think they dried quickly, quite the reverse, maybe its fast compared to other paints and not VMC?

Hm, I only got to try three of the paints, and the pots were used for demos/pretty empty/also assuming old. Could be why they were drying so quickly for me? I don't remember how the VMC dries, but I could drop a layer, work on another area of the model, and quickly come back to drop another layer without issues.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is Vallejo game color 72.001 (dead white) or 72.101 (off white) similar enough to VMC ivory white to use?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Chill la Chill posted:

Is Vallejo game color 72.001 (dead white) or 72.101 (off white) similar enough to VMC ivory white to use?

Dug out the bottles to compare them: VMC ivory (70.918) is only a teensy bit more yellow/cream than VGC off-white (72.101). Dead white is just plain 'ole white - it's not really a good match.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OneTrueBru posted:

Dug out the bottles to compare them: VMC ivory (70.918) is only a teensy bit more yellow/cream than VGC off-white (72.101). Dead white is just plain 'ole white - it's not really a good match.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm actually browsing at the LGS right now so I'll give it a shot. I'd love to get ivory white sometime but don't want to put in a bigger order for just that yet

E: I'll get 72.098 at the same time cuz it looks more creamy than off white and hopefully those cover it.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I'm starting to find myself in need of some new brushes, primarily for edge highlighting as the small brushes I have can't seem to keep their tip for long enough. I was thinking of Ichiban brushes from Games & Gears but 35 pound price tag is kind of hefty. But what other alternatives are there? Aside from just getting GW brushes or something.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Cooked Auto posted:

So I'm starting to find myself in need of some new brushes, primarily for edge highlighting as the small brushes I have can't seem to keep their tip for long enough. I was thinking of Ichiban brushes from Games & Gears but 35 pound price tag is kind of hefty. But what other alternatives are there? Aside from just getting GW brushes or something.

I've recently bought Winsor & Newton Series 7 Short size 1 and 2, they're pretty drat nice and aren't that expensive per brush. I will be buying a size 3 and size 0 sometime in the future though. the short means the hairs aren't so long, making it easier to control when painting miniatures and such.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I don't know from experience because I don't paint enough to justify the purchase, but everything I've read indicates the Series 7, while seeming expensive, will save you money in the long run if you take care of them because they'll last multiple times longer than cheaper alternatives. I always get the feeling that when you're buying brushes FOR painting miniatures (like those G&G ones, Army Painter, or Citadel's (lol)) you're sort of paying a price for a special property that doesn't really exist because miniatures don't need special brushes, just small brushes.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The Series 7 used to be the gold standard. They've slipped a tiny bit on QA, though - they're still fantastic brushes but now you'll get a lemon every ten brushes or so. I like those (the normal Series 7, not Series 7 Miniature), as well as Raphael 8404s.

The Raphaels run large - I have a 3/0 which is about the same size as a W&N 0. Rosemary & Co is a brand people love and is much cheaper - I have some and the quality is high but they have longer bristles which I don't prefer personally. Davinci Maestro is another good brand.

Apart from crappy brushes for mixing paint and such, like 90% of my painting is done with a W&N 1, a W&N 0, and the 3/0 from Raphael.

And yeah, they last a long time if you take care of them - I have never thrown out a kolinsky brush in 5+ years of painting except when it was my own dumb fault.