Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

I am sure Claudio appreciated it. Thank you for taking care of him! He looks like a real character!

Today, I saw this in Ginza:

Good dog!

i love statues of dogs, it is my favorite genre of statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
e:^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I decided to look up pictures of the Hachiko and Laika statues because of you. They are my favorite famous dogs. Thanks!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/tayaranrusi/status/705539812065935360

This seems too convenient to be real, but I don't care, I want it to be. :allears:

I really don't think I'd be able to contain myself if a goat came up to me on the street, so a goat and a llama would probably just make me insane with delight. I would probably die. This guy's lucky.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 4, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/wRwQ7dt.gifv

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

http://i.imgur.com/LYP93YF.webm

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MUST KEEP TREAT IN VIEW AT ALL TIMES :byodood:

:kimchi:

She better drat well have given that dog the treat though.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
My ferrets sometimes roll with it when we lay them down on the bed. And sometimes they cuddle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/SMNlCMS.gifv

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

New from IKEA: Stacking puppies

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

moonsour posted:

My ferrets sometimes roll with it when we lay them down on the bed. And sometimes they cuddle.

Ferrets are great! My uncle has a wild ferret pup(?) living in his house. They have no idea where he gets in.

He just randomly pops up from behind the kitchen sink and checks if theres anything to eat from the plates, sometimes he takes huge shits in the sink aswell.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/tayaranrusi/status/705539812065935360

This seems too convenient to be real, but I don't care, I want it to be. :allears:

I love how the llama seems so excited to get over there :3: "Is someone giving out SCRITCHES?!? Ohboyohboyohboy"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think I could live entirely on pictures of beardies dressed up in tiny costumes for the rest of my life.

"Sorry tower, came in a little too hot on the landing"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Guess he goosed it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think I could live entirely on pictures of beardies dressed up in tiny costumes for the rest of my life.
Might I recommend the blog, Things on My Dragon.

Some samples:

Reptar is a good sport.

She also has an extremely adorable, tiny Kenyan Sand Boa

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

dismas posted:

Some people might find this a tiny bit of a downer, so if you're super sensitive, just go ahead and skip this post.

Still here? Cool. Back in 1941, the tiny pacific island of Guam was taken over by the Japanese during their expansions in WW2. The locals (Charmorros) were treated pretty badly. As in, "build our air strips/defensive positions/etc or we'll loving bayonet you" badly. On July 21, 1944, the Americans returned. You know what they brought with them? Good Dogges.

There's a memorial on the naval base there that commemorates all the dogs that served in the invasion. What exactly do dogs do in war time? loving everything:

quote:

Sixty dogs entered Guam with the 3rd Marine Division; headstones arranged in a semicircle mark the burial sites of the 25 dogs that died there. These animals were used to flush Japanese troops from their caves, pillboxes, and dugout positions, and served as sentries as well. Dogs accompanied marines into combat throughout the Pacific, and no marine unit with a dog was ever ambushed or its position infiltrated by the Japanese. (source)

The dogs helped liberate a group of people that had suffered for several years, and protected the people doing the liberation at the same time. Dogs really are man's best friend:kimchi:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dismas posted:

Lord Byron had a newfie he loved a whole lot. When it died, he spent money that at that point he didn't really have to build a memorial that ended up being bigger than his own. For a long time folks thought Byron wrote the epitaph, but it turns out a dear friend of his wrote most of it. Byron did the last two lines, but liked his friend's longer version more.

quote:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18th, 1808

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well, must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The dogs helped liberate a group of people that had suffered for several years, and protected the people doing the liberation at the same time. Dogs really are man's best friend:kimchi:

But then instead of having true self-government, the native people of Guam switched out their Japanese occupiers for an American militarist empire instead. So I don't think you could call them truly liberated. :v: Nice dog statue though.

Speaking of (big) dogs!

From http://threeberners.tumblr.com/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nondevor posted:

But then instead of having true self-government, the native people of Guam switched out their Japanese occupiers for an American militarist empire instead. So I don't think you could call them truly liberated. :v: Nice dog statue though.

Speaking of (big) dogs!

From http://threeberners.tumblr.com/

America: literally indistinguishable from imperial japan.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We conquered it from the Spanish, technically. Still proud of those Marine dogs. :patriot:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aww, what's wrong kitty?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I sent this to my mother and she replied "he looks like a giant, sad-eyed spider." I think that's a good thing. :haw:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Nondevor posted:

But then instead of having true self-government, the native people of Guam switched out their Japanese occupiers for an American militarist empire instead. So I don't think you could call them truly liberated. :v:

"sure their previous occupiers were literally raping and murdering them, but america has a bad record with foreign policy, so its basically the same:smuggo:"

careful you dont cut yourself on all that edge bro:rolleyes:

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Mar 5, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blue Footed Booby posted:

America: literally indistinguishable from imperial japan.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

"sure their previous occupiers were literally raping and murdering them, but america has a bad record with foreign policy, so its basically the same:smuggo:"

careful you dont cut yourself on all that edge bro:rolleyes:

Yeah I think people tend to gloss over what Imperial Japan was like simply because they weren't literally Nazis. I don't want to ruin the cute thread but suffice to say that comparison is really insipid.

Content: Cats that think staring at walls is peak entertainment.

https://twitter.com/free_pinz/status/701552057283547136

mycot has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Mar 5, 2016

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I would hug that goat a lot :colbert: :3:

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Seems pretty accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsZG90P3eM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Knorth posted:

I would hug that goat a lot :colbert: :3:

Yea, it can climb, but still... Don't get cocky, kid. 🐐

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Toiletfrog :3:/:ohdear:

Del Toro :kimchi:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MORE LIKE THIS

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
This is a bit of a long story, but anyways: I'd been badgering my parents about adopting another cat for a couple of months/years, ever since my dumb sweet baby Jade died and went off to fort warms in the sky. My moms answer for months has been "gently caress no, no no, goddamnit stop asking no."

Well, a former colleague of hers took ill last year - it started as uterine cancer and now it's pretty clear that she's been terminal for a long while. The doctors keep saying they'll put her through chemo once the myriad of other things are treated and cleared up, and in the mean time her mental health has completely depreciated, she won't eat, she won't drink, and she's been in checked into a hospice center because she's been suffering badly and has no one who can care for her. Or for her cat, Sable.

She loves Sable, and since she has no one to take care of him, my mom has offered to foster him... But it's pretty clear he's ours until he passes.

See, we knew he was an adult cat when we met him, but uh... He's far older than we thought. He's probably 15 years old, he's basically deaf, he's got cataracts and BAD, he's loud, and he pooped himself when we took him home.

But he is so sweet and affectionate. He's soft and gentle and he'll let you pick him up like a baby. He's clung to me since we brought him home, and won't let me leave his sight without a massive headbutt to my hand.

You know when you meet that one thing, whether it's a dog or a cat or a person, and you didn't know you needed them until you had them in your life? That's Sable for me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Poor old boy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

cash crab posted:

????

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

cash crab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDMNHvnIxic

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

YEAHHHHH

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That dog is so poofy from the snow.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

cash crab posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/video/genemonchelli/140004266386/500/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cash crab posted:

"Oh, hey human. Kill me, let me go, I don't really care anymore..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:kimchi: Ooooh, my God. How rude.

• Locked thread