Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Looks to me like: we had record highs this weekend (low 70s in my area), there was absolutely no wind, and everyone went out for a nice drive. I want to see what that map looks like during a summer day with no wind and warm temps. I bet we had some kind of inversion layer that trapped emissions low. The map also doesn't show a scale, so I can't tell if those readings are just a handful of PPM above normal or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FCKGW posted:

If I see a media article saying "why isn't the media reporting on this" then I just stop reading and assume the whole thing is trash anyways.

It could be nothing because of various reasons, but the sat imagery is there.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Looks to me like: we had record highs this weekend (low 70s in my area), there was absolutely no wind, and everyone went out for a nice drive. I want to see what that map looks like during a summer day with no wind and warm temps. I bet we had some kind of inversion layer that trapped emissions low. The map also doesn't show a scale, so I can't tell if those readings are just a handful of PPM above normal or what.
The stretch was from WA to CA, so not likely to be a local temperature anomaly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The big one is coming.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*smells the air, tastes the dirt* ahh, it's Earthquake Weather.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the warm blob is gone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Smythe posted:

*smells the air, tastes the dirt* ahh, it's Earthquake Weather.

I thought the magical Earthquake Weather month was August? On a more serious note, what are people's favorite supplies to have on hand for peeing and pooping during plumbingless periods? A large bucket plus a toilet seat and bags?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

A comment at the source points that it's likely just a result of still air, smog and pollution from fires. Given that the date on the chart is several days ago and there hasn't been a mass die-off along the coast in that time, it's probably not a big deal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What are people's favorite supplies to have on hand for peeing and pooping during plumbingless periods?

Peeing: bush in back yard. Pooping: bush in neighbor's back yard.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*places ear to the ground, opens palms to the soil. balances deer pelvis bone on ancient sequoia branch* The tremor grows near. Soon, mother earth shall crack and draw the double legged interlopers into her fiery womb.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
well it's good to see we're finally getting a straight week of rainy weather since early january

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On a more serious note, what are people's favorite supplies to have on hand for peeing and pooping during plumbingless periods? A large bucket plus a toilet seat and bags?

Piss in the back yard. Poop in a catbox. I'm assuming (hoping) kitty litter is just as effective at dessicating and deodorizing my shits.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

well it's good to see we're finally getting a straight week of rainy weather since early january

Where? :smith:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Starting this weekend. Assuming the Oracle is correct.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I'm increasingly presuming that individuals with State of Jefferson stickers on their cars are armed white racists judging by their vehicles and driving habits.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Spoondick posted:

I'm increasingly presuming that individuals with State of Jefferson stickers on their cars are armed white racists judging by their vehicles and driving habits.

all the state of jefferson signs i've seen so far have been along i-80 in placer county

like, probably the whitest, most conservative county of california at this point in time

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My friends and I loved talking about how cool it would be to see a new state emerge in our lifetime (and have it happen where I lived at the time) until we realized we'd be the only minorities in the state.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

San Jose at least is supposed to be wet for the foreseeable future

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

That's awesome. February was pretty dry but hopefully this stuff will also go north and fill the reservoirs up.

Of course it means traffic will be worse, but maybe we'll only have 5 months of dry weather this year instead of 8 or more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody know why California hasn't jumped on the Super Tuesday bus? Having a primary in June is the same as putting a "Don't Bother Campaigning Here" sign in all the airports.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anybody know why California hasn't jumped on the Super Tuesday bus? Having a primary in June is the same as putting a "Don't Bother Campaigning Here" sign in all the airports.

Because then Hillary really would've won by now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is considered impolite to remind insignificant state how little they really matter.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

computer parts posted:

Because then Hillary really would've won by now.

YCS is leaking.

withak posted:

It is considered impolite to remind insignificant state how little they really matter.

I think it's this basically. Iowa and New Hampshire as as low population as it gets and honestly the only real news they get is during an election season.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Buckwheat Sings posted:

YCS is leaking.

I think it's this basically. Iowa and New Hampshire as as low population as it gets and honestly the only real news they get is during an election season.

Yeah, imagine how much more it would cost to try to stump all of California? Nobody wants to do that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

withak posted:

Nothing makes me happier then when CA gets called and totally obliterates the relevancy of the plains states in presidential elections.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It just puts into light how ridiculous the primary systems are in the US.

By the time actual relevant states are allowed to vote on primaries, the candidates have pretty much narrowed down to "here is your single democrat versus here is your single republican. Enjoy."

All states should have primaries on the same day. Somehow it works perfectly fine in November.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

jeeves posted:

By the time actual relevant states are allowed to vote on primaries, the candidates have pretty much narrowed down to "here is your single democrat versus here is your single republican. Enjoy."

All states should have primaries on the same day. Somehow it works perfectly fine in November.

That would give the DNC/RNC less control over which favored candidates they want to push...so it'll probably never happen (I agree though.)

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Space-Bird posted:

That would give the DNC/RNC less control over which favored candidates they want to push...so it'll probably never happen (I agree though.)

That's pretty much the opposite of what would really happen. It would leave the vast majority of candidates without the money or infrastructure to pull off a run, and only the uber-rich and those with enormous party backing would have the ability to even get noticed. There'd be no upset votes, no momentum building behind smaller candidates. Hell, if a system like that were in place, Sanders' run would already be forgotten by now...

...come to think of it, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jeeves posted:

This strategy would heavily favor the establishment candidate.

Or like I said before, Hillary would already have won.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

We don't go early because it's really expensive to hold multiple state-wide primaries (we would still have to have our normal one in June), the parties don't like campaigning in a state of California's size that early in the process, and if you have it on a date like Super Tuesday you end up being a footnote anyways, such as California was when it voted on Super Tuesday in 2008.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Litany Unheard posted:

the parties don't like campaigning in a state of California's size that early in the process
Its (one of) the same reason that lovely test laws are always run in North Dakota or somewhere with a population of 10 people. Its really expensive to advertise in a state of 40 million.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Liberals in the Bay Area are the real bigots!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Do bigoted they hide their articles behind paywalls

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ron Jeremy posted:

Worked fine from Google News :shrug:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

article posted:

Some minority groups can’t catch a break.

Opposition to one such group was overpowering Tuesday, when more than 500 supporters of the Chabot Gun Club packed an East Bay Regional Park District meeting in an effort to keep it from closing. But the gun lovers never had a chance.

It ain’t easy being conservative in the Bay Area, a part of the country known for tolerance, inclusion and diversity — except when diversity includes right wingers.

“Every angry middle-aged white guy in Alameda County is here,” quipped one East Bay Regional Park District official, who described the park district as “Occupy Oakland versus ‘Duck Dynasty.’”

Packing a public meeting with supporters is a strategy that has been used successfully by left-leaning Bay Area activists for decades, and it still works. But for conservative supporters — outnumbered and outgunned in Bay Area politics — not so much.

Of course, not every gun club supporter who showed up Tuesday was necessarily a registered Republican, a Trump supporter or a card-carrying conservative. But let’s face it: Guns are a core issue among conservatives, and when pitted against environmental concerns, the love of guns typically wins out.

After five hours of impassioned pleas from gun owners and law enforcement agencies, which were met with calls for responsible environmental protections, the East Bay Regional Park District Board voted unanimously to close the gun range for good. The club was given one year to manage its affairs and clear out.

Keeping a low profile

In Alameda County, where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans more than 4 to 1, conservatives tend to tread lightly, said Sue Caro, a former chair of the Alameda County Republican Party.

“I discovered very quickly that if you’re a Republican, the deeper into Oakland and Berkeley you go, the more you encounter indifference and people who just ignore you,” Caro said. Republicans like Caro, who has lived in Oakland for 30 years, tend to maintain a low profile, even sometimes concealing — or denying — their true party affiliation, she added.

As a result, most Republicans aren’t often regarded as legitimate candidates, Caro said and complained that in Berkeley and Oakland, the League of Women Voters doesn’t invite Republican candidates to join in candidate forums they sponsor.

“And when we ask, they show surprise that a Republican is running.” she said. “It’s like we don’t matter. That’s how they treat us.”

Louise Rothman-Riemer, president of the League of Women Voters Oakland, called Caro’s assertion false and said that all candidates who qualify for the ballot are invited to participate in such forums.

Caro has filed as a candidate in the November congressional race to run against incumbent Barbara Lee, a Democratic icon, but views her candidacy as little more than a token effort.

“No one is going to pay attention to me, and when nobody pays attention you don’t get press opportunities — and you don’t get to give your message to large groups when there is no money coming in,” Caro said. “There is no cavalry coming to help me.”

Caro said even as the local Republic Party is grooming a new generation of candidates who represent the area’s ethnic diversity, they get no media attention.

Perhaps that’s why local Republicans are suspicious of media inquiries, often regarding them as potential ambushes. No one from the Chabot Gun Club returned my calls to talk about the meeting.

Making gains

If there is a silent minority in the Bay Area, I’m pretty sure it’s Republicans.

Despite their second-class status, inroads are being made, say some conservatives, who point to the rise of Catharine Baker of San Ramon, who won the 16th Assembly District seat in 2014. Caro pointed to the five-member Pleasanton City Council: all Republican. And to nearby Dublin, where three of five council members are GOP members. The mayors of both cities are Republicans as well, she said.

In Bay Area politics, there is no pendulum swing in voter trends and little tolerance for opposing viewpoints. Instead, Bay Area residents choose from moderate to extreme degrees of liberal politics — and in a region of the country on the leading edge of diverse communities and inclusion, they effectively silence opposing views. That doesn’t sound like the tolerance we espouse.

edit: vv good point, I've edited in the article instead of discussing how to get around paywalls.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 5, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Or just post the text instead of a lone link I mean drat

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So basically members of a party who's platform is more or less "gently caress minorities" are :qq:'ing because they're now in a situation where said beliefs make them a minority, and as a result are being hosed.

This is somehow different from their platform and we should feel sorry for them because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sydin posted:

So basically members of a party who's platform is more or less "gently caress minorities" are :qq:'ing because they're now in a situation where said beliefs make them a minority, and as a result are being hosed.

This is somehow different from their platform and we should feel sorry for them because ???

Quoting this as the pure encapsulation of entitled, terrible Bay Area leftism.

Aside from the fact that two wrongs (we can gently caress them over when they're a minority because we think they want to gently caress over minorities!) don't make a right, poo poo like not even inviting candidates to theoretically non-partisan informational discussions is pretty undemocratic. Yea, some of the :qq: in the article there is a little ridiculous, but celebrating someone else getting stomped on for any reason is pretty lovely.