Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

:qq:

Seriously, looks good. Haven't seen a decent tank build in a while: all the theorycrafters were scared off by the blocking change. Good to see something fresh, especially for sorcerer.

Is that what you were running AA with the other day?

Nah I was running my Nightblade tank for that one.

Got killed by the axes the Mage spawns because they did their heavy attack moments after the Mage did her knockdown phase. Hello double 30k power slams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fuckin AD is the worst of the worst man. Rank 29 sorcs hard casting frags in plain sight, and a DK whose rotation in a fight was literally CHARGE -> TALONS -> PERMABLOCK

Shoulda recorded that poo poo, it was too drat hilarious. Had 10 of em on my rear end one time too, I was just blocking my way to victory.

E: Oh yeah, using bats in non-dire situations. Thanks for letting me know you're a vamp! *Wrecking Blow + Flawless Dawnbreaker + Double Camo Hunter proc* GG

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 4, 2016

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

oh hey can the following please get a (PC?) ginvite?

edit: 3 dopey goons for the price of one. thanks, frond. <3

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 4, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Invites sent!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I ended up getting this game thanks to the steam sale and have a sorcerer at level 15. It's fun, feels like wow but better. Couple of questions.

Dark Magic > Storm Caller for damage? I haven't leveled storm caller at all, just Daedraic and Dark Magic

Is it worth trying to craft new gear to level into or should I just go on RNG with drops and quests?

What is so special about becoming a vampire?

Is it better to focus on one profession or just do them all?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Soulex posted:

I ended up getting this game thanks to the steam sale and have a sorcerer at level 15. It's fun, feels like wow but better. Couple of questions.

Dark Magic > Storm Caller for damage? I haven't leveled storm caller at all, just Daedraic and Dark Magic

Is it worth trying to craft new gear to level into or should I just go on RNG with drops and quests?

Can't speak to the sorc stuff or about vampires but I can tell you about the rest. If your crafting is low then yeah, there are some good drops to be had, especially the sets. If you're having trouble getting drops you can usually find pieces in Guild stores for pretty cheap. Or have someone craft you stuff. Goons will craft you stuff, just drop a line in chat.

As for the crafting skills, I'd say balance is key if you're only on your first toon. If you want to be viable in combat you probably can't afford to drop every skill point into a crafting skill until later in the game. To start off, focus on the skills that are relevant to your character build and move on from there when you're swimming in points later on.

Most of all, have fun!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

Level every class skill line. Plus Overload (the ultimate skill in the Storm Calling line) hits hard

Don't sperg out about crafting until you hit v1, then let us worry about that (toss up your @userID btw)

Increased stat regen as long as you have a Vampirism skill slotted, and their Ultimate can either cloak you or heal you.

If you play long enough, you will have more than enough skill points to specialize in all professions. Pick and choose the ones that sound cool to you.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Soulex posted:

Agreeing with all of the above, and adding: found gear is great 1-50, but watch getting too high level for the zone you're in. You'll stop getting loot (and experience) if you're 6+ levels above the enemies. If this happens, you can freshen up your gear by getting a group of four similarly-leveled (again, within 6) people together to run a group dungeon, which scales to the leader's level. Don't go crazy, as long as your weapon's up-to-date, you can have your armor be 20-30 levels behind and not notice.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks. I'm @soulex555 and play sporadically. I'm having fun, but like I said p, most of my talent points are in Daedraic and Dark Magic. I,m also in the second leveling zone and am taking on mobs 2-3 levels higher than me. I don't typically deal with anything my level or lower. I only do dungeons for e first time if I have a quest for it, and Spindle is easy. Ran it twice yesterday and got two great weapons that got sharded because they were useless to me.

I don't know if I'm doing it right but Single mob dps is nuts. Open with conflagration or whatever the first dark magic I thing is, hit them with that curse, and then que up another confrag shot and they typically don't live past that.

Is here a place to respec? Should I even worry about it at this level? Like getting some healing stuff? Also is there a way to hot switch between your first bar and the second?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Invite sent. I wouldn't worry about it, but when you get to the second zone for your faction (e.g. Stormhaven), the capital city has respec shrines for skills and ability points, and they're pretty cheap. Feel free to experiment.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

These are the new AP requirements for the Alliance War skill line. Posting this because several of the skills there are pretty drat useful outside of PvP, and as such it might be worth getting into the PvP aspect of the game, as it can be fun most of the time.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Definitely looking forward to having caltrops on my tank.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I want Prox Det on my magic classes. It's gonna be glorious with the buff it got :getin:

Brb gonna post a suicide bomber build

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

These are the new AP requirements for the Alliance War skill line. Posting this because several of the skills there are pretty drat useful outside of PvP, and as such it might be worth getting into the PvP aspect of the game, as it can be fun most of the time.

Thank God, progression for pvp skills has always been kind of nuts.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I doubt I'll ever PvP enough to earn those, but I don't mind. It's great that those that do PvP get reasonable progression.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hey, I have been running solo builds that mostly work and are definitely fun.

With cross faction coming I want to make sure that I have appropriate group skills on my bar. Takes me a bit to get them set up and learn where they are. The two characters in question are:

Stamplar. Pretty much has all skills leveled except Alliance. Currently I am running 2h and S&B, but could switch out to anything except staves. Not sure he is viable as a tank. What utility skills should he have?

Magicka DK. He is destro/resto at present. Mostly AoE pyromancy at present. He has pretty much all the class and staff skills. Currently I am running him without any resto skills, but can slot all except a couple of morphs. What utility do I want on him for groups?

Probably some changes with the patch indicated as well I guess.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

group skills

For stamplar, you'll want to have repentance, remembrance, and shards (probably luminous, although only stamina builds need them). And then hold your nose and grind up vigor.

For magicka dk, igneous shields for the heals more than the actual shield, burning talons because talons, and igneous weapons for the group sorcery/brutality buff (although most dps provide these themselves). If you're going to mostly heal, then pick up necrotic orb, war horn, and barrier, too. You won't have bar space for these if you're dps, though.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Man, after ditching my 1h+shield/1h+shield setup and having my 2nd bar be just straight up 2h damage as a DK, I'm having a lot more fun. I actually have AoE, and Brawler is an insanely good skill. I get so much god drat bonus health from it, and having burning talons+breath along with it makes dealing with crowds actually doable.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Just attended my first guild auction. Won 4,000 pieces of fishing bait for 153,000 gold.

I hate fishing.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Raruna posted:

Man, after ditching my 1h+shield/1h+shield setup and having my 2nd bar be just straight up 2h damage as a DK, I'm having a lot more fun. I actually have AoE, and Brawler is an insanely good skill. I get so much god drat bonus health from it, and having burning talons+breath along with it makes dealing with crowds actually doable.

:hfive: Soon, you'll pick up another 2h for single-target and the cycle will be complete. Also, are you PC NA, because if so, join the guild.

JackBadass posted:

I hate fishing.

It's a shame there's no cross-platform, because I've got 6k bait clogging up my stamblade's inventory that you could have. Fishing needs more excitement.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been using 2h on my orc DK as well. One rush and flaming weapons hit and the mob is usually below 50% health, so I put it down with executioner. Fights last like four seconds, then I sprint on to the next.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

tgidieday posted:

Definitely looking forward to having caltrops on my tank.

I don't understand what the purpose of slows are in PVE.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

It's a shame there's no cross-platform, because I've got 6k bait clogging up my stamblade's inventory that you could have. Fishing needs more excitement.

Yeah. That's the biggest problem with fishing is how dull and tedious it is. I'm not worried about the money because I know I'll easily make that back and then some with the lot, but it's just not fun.

When I bid on the lot, I did it honestly thinking someone was going to outbid me. I got the dread feeling during the slight pause after "going twice", then poof, there goes a chunk of pocket change. I felt better about it after I did the math, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

A 70% snare that happens to be AoE as well as a DoT that pulls aggro to you. Pretty drat useful for dungeon running if you ask me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
snares are useful in difficult content but extremely annoying in non-difficult content because it is the difference between 'this is helping me kite a lot' and 'this is slowing down my ability to steel tornado these things to death'

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Baron Porkface posted:

If you are running a DoT build they work to keep herded mobs in the AoE dot. Though the Ash slow doesn't seem to work like I would expect. Most people seem to like burst, but laying down a field of dots and then doing just a bit of defense and self healing while things die works well. Not as dramatic and sometimes fights are long. A different sort of fun than face smashing (which is very satisfying I admit).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

steel tornado

Well, there's your problem!

Like Scyantific said, I want it for trash pulls to keep everybody else from getting swarmed. Nothing spectacular, but if the dps has to think, I'm not doing my job as a tank.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm going to admit that I am pretty hype for Thieves Guild to come out in the morning.

Though the servers are probably going to be a mess for at least tomorrow.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man I just bought the game, and I'm gated from content. gently caress

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Soulex posted:

Man I just bought the game, and I'm gated from content. gently caress

No you're not.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Awesome!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's not in a lowbies interest to do dlc content, you can outlevel your starting zones but never the veteran zones.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah I got that deal for the 60 day premium time, and after completing almost everything in glenumbra, stormhaven, and rivenspire I feel like I'm over leveled at level 34. The main rivenspire quests were green most of the time, and by the time they were done I was level 33 and the quests sending me to alakir were 25. I really like the quests so I do them anyway, but over leveling sucks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I missed near 100% of the leveling content from 20-50 because I spent all my time in Cyrodiil and only emerged periodically to do Sky Shard Roundup.

I recommend it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My advice to new players: don't read the thread and just play the game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm going to rob everyone in Abahs Landing and craft myself a katana

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They removed the gated IC campaign with Thieves Guild.

loving lol, Zenimax

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

They removed the gated IC campaign with Thieves Guild.

loving lol, Zenimax

Gated IC campaign?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
So that is a pretty major set of skill changes with no respec from them. Same with CP's.

Playing Caldwell's with no add ons. Things my level and up are dying very fast and I am not sure why. Much faster than the coldharbour mobs, with my dk at the same level, same gear no skill changes or cp point changes made as of yet. Weird.

I don't plan to head over to TG until it dies down a bit, though I may go do some leveling in IC, foraging in Wrothgar since those might be empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So the Mage guild floating orb thing got changed to reveal invisible people but gives help to crit if slotted. I was angrily pressing it over and over again wondering why it went away.

• Locked thread