Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Prime Minister Juha Sipilä has threatened to put "pakkolaki" (or mandatory law changes to alter worker contracts) into effect if the attempt to form a "yhteiskuntasopimus" failed. Well, the talks have failed again for the nth time, now Sipilä admits there is no plan B, since there is no time to build said "pakkolaki."

Every loving time I think that my opinion of this government's competence can't sink any lower, they somehow find new and innovative ways to prove me wrong. I've seen a lot in politics, but a bourgie government not having a plan to screw the workers ready to go is actually new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm sure they'll come up with a last-minute deal where anyone whose net worth is less than one million will be forced to feudal servitude and the rich will get not only eternal freedom from taxes, they'll also get to tax the slaves themselves.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cerebral Bore posted:

Every loving time I think that my opinion of this government's competence can't sink any lower, they somehow find new and innovative ways to prove me wrong. I've seen a lot in politics, but a bourgie government not having a plan to screw the workers ready to go is actually new.

Yeah, I can't really even be mad at them anymore because they can't do ANYTHING, evil or not. It's just really getting to be sad. I really hope someone writes a reveal-book about WTF is going on in the government right now. Even Kataisen's unholy abomination of a coalition got SOME things done.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 5, 2016

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Why are you guys so gloomy :(

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cerebral Bore posted:

Are there any concise sources that you can recommend that describe in short what is being proposed?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Ligur posted:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Why is every Finnish politician wearing the hipster glasses?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Pale IV DEMON

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ligur posted:

Have you seen the amount of brown people recently? We went sledding today at a nearby slope and it was full of full grown iraqi men sledding with the children and screaming and wooping like they never seen snow before. loving coutry's going to the shitter.

I'm voting trump

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Sipilä was supposed to get things done and fix Finland with his engineer brains and porvari government stylings but it hasn't happened. Maybe this means there is no solution to the Finnish problem, the well being state is doomed, and soon we'll be fighting the Iraqis for food in ruins of Korso while Putin laughs. :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

OhYeah posted:

Are there any concise sources that you can recommend that describe in short what is being proposed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuBE3Zw-c4

From left to right: Sipilä, Soini @ Stubb

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

adhuin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuBE3Zw-c4

From left to right: Sipilä, Soini @ Stubb

That sounds eerily similar to what happened in Estonia after the 2008-2009 crisis.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

hillo posted:

I was talking with some guy about current government and he was like "YEAH KILL STUBB" (yeah our discussion got kind of wild)

I bet it was Hogge. God drat leftist anarchists. How can I make myself a anarchist leftist symbol so I can become a martyr?

Oh gently caress me it's RKP again knocking

:ssh:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016030521223240_uu.shtml

If you pay 120 euros and are a succesful business person or a kansanedustaja, you can have breakfast and pray with Timo Soini.

Do we really need to bring all the worst GOP excesses to Finland?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Fish of hemp posted:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016030521223240_uu.shtml

If you pay 120 euros and are a succesful business person or a kansanedustaja, you can have breakfast and pray with Timo Soini.

Do we really need to bring all the worst GOP excesses to Finland?

I was just about to post this article.

Normally I wouldn't really care, just some dumb poo poo involving Soini, what a shocker.

BUT the timing of this article is really good, with the yhteiskuntasopimus/pakkolaki poo poo failing once more. I immediately thought that this was the governments plan B: Cross your hands and pray.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

We really can't fault America for going Trump when Finland decided that a politically unexperienced failed businessman was the best man to lead the nation.

Our PM might be a tax evading pedocultist who likes to gently caress animals, but he was a quite successful businessman.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I can't really even be mad at them anymore because they can't do ANYTHING, evil or not. It's just really getting to be sad. I really hope someone writes a reveal-book about WTF is going on in the government right now. Even Kataisen's unholy abomination of a coalition got SOME things done.

Pretty much this. Kataisen and Stubbin governments were more professional with making GBS threads on Finland, so I'm reasonably happy with our current gvernment.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Hogge Wild posted:

Pretty much this. Kataisen and Stubbin governments were more professional with making GBS threads on Finland, so I'm reasonably happy with our current gvernment.

ja he löytävät uusia tapoja epäonnistua heidän tehtävissään joten he ovat pohjimmiltaan aika harmitonta sakkia

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's kinda like we elected Three Stooges to run our country and it's a surprisingly neutral option

Meanwhile United States is doing their own rendition of The Great Dictator.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

DarkCrawler posted:

It's kinda like we elected Three Stooges to run our country and it's a surprisingly neutral option

Meanwhile United States is doing their own rendition of The Great Dictator.

Well, it's either Great Dictator or Hyacinth Bucket at this point.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Hogge Wild posted:

Our PM might be a tax evading pedocultist who likes to gently caress animals, but he was a quite successful businessman.

Check out how his companies have been doing since the 1990's. The key word is "persnetto."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

Check out how his companies have been doing since the 1990's. The key word is "persnetto."

i'll admit that i know nothing about his companies. only thing i've heard about his bisnesvainu is that he wasn't born a millionaire, but later became one. but could it be that his companies are doing persnetto because that's one of his ways to evade taxes?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 6, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Hogge Wild posted:

i'll admit that i know nothing about his companies. only thing i've heard about his bisnesvainu is that he wasn't born a millionaire, but later became one. but could it be that his companies are doing persnetto because that's one of his ways to evade taxes?

Tl;dr version of his business life: He bought an already existing company that he sold off for a profit in 1996, Solitra Oy. Fortel Invest Oy which he founded in 1995 only made a profit during four years during the 1995-2012 period.

I know a handful of people who managed to do similar moves during the heyday of the IT bubble, so I'd argue that it's not his competence that did it, rather the fact that Finland used to have some really specialized electronics manufacturing back then that became a hot commodity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sipilä is a successful businessman like Walrus is a successful banker.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Triple A posted:

Well, it's either Great Dictator or Hyacinth Bucket at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qk28Uhgmqs

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hogge Wild posted:

They still need to find a way to fail at the massive austerity cuts though, in some other way than the obvious "the cuts won't actually save the economy and will gently caress us over for a generation" way.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ligur posted:

I know this is an unpopular view monelle länsimaalaiselle, koska me ollaan totuttu siihen ettei kenestäkään "muista" oikein saa sanoa mitään pahaa ja me ollaan sen verran omahyväisiä että luullaan muunkin maailman väen jakavan about samat arvot, but you have attribute some of that to the people we're trying to integrate as well.

voi vittu valitse kieli ja pysy siinä saatana

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Minorkos posted:

yeah English only fucktards. This is an English only website!!!!!!!!!!!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

Pakolaiskriisi on nostanut kansallisvaltioiden tahdon suojella itseään taas pintaan, vaikka EU perustettiin aikoinaan juuri vastavoimaksi äärinationalismille.

Katainen on huolissaan populismin ja äärinationalismin EU:lle asettamista haasteista. Lääkkeet ovat pakolaiskriisiin samat kuin koko EU:lle.

– Ihmisiä tulee Eurooppaan, sanomme me mitä hyvänsä. Nyt kysymys on siitä, miten me ensinnäkin kohtelemme näitä ihmisiä ja toiseksi selviämme. Siinä, miten heitä kohdellaan, on humaani arvopohja ainoa kestävä tie.

PAKOLAISKRIISIN ongelmien ratkaisuun ainoa lääke on pragmaattisuus. Ensinnäkin pitää satsata niiden ihmisten kotouttamiseen, jotka ovat jo saaneet turvapaikan.

– Mitä nopeammin uusi tulokas pääsee työn syrjään tai koulutukseen kiinni, sitä nopeammin hän pääsee yhteiskuntaan kiinni.

Kaikki eivät kuitenkaan täytä turvapaikkakriteerejä. Katainen painottaa, että jäsenmaiden järjestelmien tulisi olla mahdollisimman nopeita, jotta nämä ihmiset voidaan lähettää takaisin kotimaahansa.

– Valtaosa eurooppalaisista haluaa auttaa niitä, jotka aidosti ovat hädässä. Heidän auttamishaluaan ei saa väärinkäyttää.

Katainen on erityisen huolissaan siitä, onko pakolaiskriisi johtamassa erilaisten ihmisten ihmisarvon kyseenalaistamiseen.

– Että toisennäköisillä tai -värisillä on heikompi ihmisarvo kuin meillä eurooppalaisilla tai suomalaisilla. Kasvaako ihmisen mielessä rasistisuus vai onko se aitoa huolta siitä, miten selvitään?

Kataisen mukaan tilanne vaatii poliitikoilta vastuullisuutta, ei populismia. On uskottava ihmisarvon jakamattomuuteen.

– Ihmisarvon jakamattomuuteen uskovilla vastuullisilla poliitikoilla on tällaisina synkkinä hetkinä erittäin suuri vastuu. Osata samalla ratkoa tilannetta käytännöllisesti ja kertoa samalla omaa arvopohjaa.

ÄÄRINATIONALISMIN nousua hän pitää vastenmielisenä ilmiönä.

- Olen isänmaallinen ja isänmaallisuus on positiivinen arvo, mutta äärinationalismi ei ole. Se ei ole koskaan tuonut mitään hyvää minnekään.

Kataista huolestuttaa myös populismin kasvu. Sillä käyvien liikkeiden valta on kasvanut pitkittyneen talouskriisin ja pakolaiskriisin myötä.

– Ne herättävät kysymyksiä ihmisissä, ja useampi heistä on taipuvainen hyväksymään yksinkertaistetut selitykset monimutkaisiin asioihin.

Kataisen mukaan esimerkiksi taloudessa populistiset liikkeet yrittävät selittää, että heikko valtiontalous on ihmisen paras ystävä.

– He eivät uskalla enää tehdä sellaisia asioita, mitä edelliset hallitukset ja poliittiset liikkeet uskalsivat tehdä. Maalaisjärkikin sen sanoo: jos velka kasvaa liikaa, se pitää katkaista.

Näillä mennään.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Minorkos posted:

Kuuluuko sun päässä semmoinen loud as gently caress CLANG noise as you flip the kielivipua mikä sulla on korvien välissä?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

HerraS posted:

Kuuluuko sun päässä semmoinen loud as gently caress CLANG noise as you flip the kielivipua mikä sulla on korvien välissä?

kuulostatte vaan helsinkiläisiltä niin vituttaa

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kemper Boyd posted:

Tl;dr version of his business life: He bought an already existing company that he sold off for a profit in 1996, Solitra Oy. Fortel Invest Oy which he founded in 1995 only made a profit during four years during the 1995-2012 period.

I know a handful of people who managed to do similar moves during the heyday of the IT bubble, so I'd argue that it's not his competence that did it, rather the fact that Finland used to have some really specialized electronics manufacturing back then that became a hot commodity.

Uhh Fortel Invest is a private investment vehicle (many people have them) so reporting losses is pretty much a function of tax instead of the actual quality of the business. It's not uncommon to own a lot of things such as your car and computers through a private company and write off the decline in value against investment profits. There are probably a lot of other things going on as well, such as using very conservative accounting standards to revalue the assets held by the company etc and lots of stuff that's well beyond my knowledge of tax law. And anyway, if he's investing in tech companies, returns are likely to come from one or two success stories with many more failures, so total profit over the period may be more indicative (though with tax stuff, likely not).

His networth declaration didn't really clarify anything so we really have no idea whether the investments made by his private company have been successful or not. As to the "luck" part, I see that commonly with goons describing CEOs etc.. Sure he probably made a lot more money than someone equally qualified who was working in the forestry sector or for Kone, so there's an element of luck in choosing the right profession, but in the end, even in 2000, at the peak of the tech bubble, there were less than 100 people who reported income above e5m in Finland and 30 who reported income greater than Sipila's 12m, suggesting that it's not quite as common to become an IT millionaire as you think. Probably some competence required.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It's not uncommon to own a lot of things such as your car and computers through a private company

:psyduck:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Minorkos posted:

kuulostatte vaan helsinkiläisiltä niin vituttaa

I see where Finland's second language strife will come from. Being bilingual means that you can speak with both Helsinkians and various Forest Folk dialects (because lol if you think what they speak in maakunnat is Finnish, I can attest that Savo is something else entirely at the least)

Mixing languages is obnoxious as hell though and sounds dumb. Languages need to be separate and pure. :agesilaus: (yes I know every language is basically an amalgam of hundred)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HerraS posted:

kielivipua mikä sulla on korvien välissä?

As far as language politics go, I think we should stop worrying about mandatory Swedish and just deport anyone who doesn't understand the difference between joka and mikä.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maybe bad phrasing (though not uncommon doesn't mean it's common... I think) meant more that it's not something you need to be ultrarich to do or something that requires huge amounts of effort.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I see where Finland's second language strife will come from. Being bilingual means that you can speak with both Helsinkians and various Forest Folk dialects (because lol if you think what they speak in maakunnat is Finnish, I can attest that Savo is something else entirely at the least)

You have "forest folk" in Finland?!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe bad phrasing (though not uncommon doesn't mean it's common... I think) meant more that it's not something you need to be ultrarich to do or something that requires huge amounts of effort.

No it was perfectly understandable. Quite a few workers here don't take out their pay as salary but they make invoices from their own "consulting company", so in essence everything they actually own (from the house to the car to the laptop) belongs to their company. It's a way to save a lot of money on taxes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OhYeah posted:

You have "forest folk" in Finland?!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

As to the "luck" part, I see that commonly with goons describing CEOs etc...

Are we getting into this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

loving hell. Which species is this exactly?