Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

DeadGame posted:

I didn't know that Space Wolves have no successor chapters. Is there a lore justification for that? Gene seed too messed up to be re-used?

Long story short, Leman Russ gave the finger to guillimans plans with the codex astartes. Magnus de ided to hold a party on Fenris destabilizing the geneseed further and making sure no wolfchapter could ever be created again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DeadGame posted:

I didn't know that Space Wolves have no successor chapters. Is there a lore justification for that? Gene seed too messed up to be re-used?

There was the Wolf Brothers during the cursed 13th founding, given the name you can take a guess what happened to them. Other than that there have been no more attempts at another founding using their gene seed.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I thought Russ gave the finger to Big Blue, but still split the Wolves into different houses. This effectively decentralized the power from a single praetor, but doing it in such a way where each of the houses were still under the Space Wolf banner. Kinda how no one looks too hard at the Black Templar's head count.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
He did, but each Great Company still belonged to the Space Wolves Chapter and answered to the Great Wolf. The Dark Angels did the same thing with their Supreme Grand Master but actually went to the trouble of founding new Chapters so that the connection between them wasn't so obvious. As far as the Horus Heresy books are going after Prospero, the Heresy and the Scouring there didn't seem to be too many Wolves left alive to split up anyway.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Did any of the loyalist legions actually split up as intended?
- Space Wolves split into Great Houses, still part of the chapter
- Dark Angels repaint some of the power armour and claim to be separate chapters, but still hunt fallen and answer to the Rock
- Imperial Fists just funnel all extra guys into Black Templars
- Ultramarines successors are all the best of buddies and are still basically a legion
- Salamanders, Iron Hands, Raven Guard and White Scars are mostly dead and are allowed a pass on the splitting up thing
- I guess Blood Angels properly split up. Good for them

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
My copy of Deathwatch arrived bang on 9am, and I can't help but be impressed by the increasing quality in GW's kits. These are the first new infantry-sized models I've bought for a while, and they're worlds apart from my current Genestealers and Hormagaunts. I'm looking forward to the full release for these armies.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Did any of the loyalist legions actually split up as intended?
- Space Wolves split into Great Houses, still part of the chapter
- Dark Angels repaint some of the power armour and claim to be separate chapters, but still hunt fallen and answer to the Rock
- Imperial Fists just funnel all extra guys into Black Templars
- Ultramarines successors are all the best of buddies and are still basically a legion
- Salamanders, Iron Hands, Raven Guard and White Scars are mostly dead and are allowed a pass on the splitting up thing
- I guess Blood Angels properly split up. Good for them

the imperial fists split as intended? they have a decent number of successor chapters. pretty much all of the successors are still buddy-buddy with their founding chapter but iirc the only ones that didn't split were the salamanders (and the wolves).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hencoe posted:

There was the Wolf Brothers during the cursed 13th founding, given the name you can take a guess what happened to them. Other than that there have been no more attempts at another founding using their gene seed.

I *think* there was some sort of suggestion that the Canis Helix was actually tied into Fenris somehow, which is why raising a chapter off world was a disaster. A genius chapter Apothecary then came up with a solution to that, but Magnus launched an assault on the Fang that destroyed that work.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Silly question, if I take a Gladius Strike Force with a battle Demi and stormwing formation I'm allowed to put models from the Demi in the Stormwing formation so that they arrive from reserves with it, right?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Uroboros posted:

Silly question, if I take a Gladius Strike Force with a battle Demi and stormwing formation I'm allowed to put models from the Demi in the Stormwing formation so that they arrive from reserves with it, right?
No. A unit can only belong to one formation (exception - if the formation to which the unit belongs is itself part of another "combined" formation a la the Gladius Strike Force). So units in the Demi company are also part of the Gladius Strike Force (and benefit from the buffs to both), but cannot also belong to the Stormwing formation.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
How do you fill the Raven in that formation?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Hey guys, just dropping in again to remind you that if you're looking for a GT in April, we've got a big one coming up with a TON of prizes and sponsors:

http://www.flyingmonkeygt.com/p/flying-monkey-gt-wichitas-top-miniature_3.html

I'm playing in the GT, the Knight Joust and Beerhammer.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

No. A unit can only belong to one formation (exception - if the formation to which the unit belongs is itself part of another "combined" formation a la the Gladius Strike Force). So units in the Demi company are also part of the Gladius Strike Force (and benefit from the buffs to both), but cannot also belong to the Stormwing formation.

That really doesn't make any sense to me. I see stuff deep striking using transports not in their detachment all the time. There's even that Flesh Tearer formation that exists purely to be a drop pod taxi service for other imperial armies.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pendent posted:

That really doesn't make any sense to me. I see stuff deep striking using transports not in their detachment all the time. There's even that Flesh Tearer formation that exists purely to be a drop pod taxi service for other imperial armies.

Dedicated transports become units unto the selected unit itself and so effectively become a part of that unit's entry and gain all the bonuses therein. Some formations expressly forbid other units from being included (the old Wraith formation prior to the current Eldar codex was like this - exempting the Wave Serpents).

Confusingly broke down like this:

= Special Detachment (formation of formations) - Gains rules if all requirements met
> Formation (sub-detachment, outside of this special formation may sometimes be a detachment unto itself) - Gains rules of formation
>> Unit entry, including possible dedicated transport - Gains rules of both formation and overarching detachment

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Dedicated transports become units unto the selected unit itself and so effectively become a part of that unit's entry and gain all the bonuses therein. Some formations expressly forbid other units from being included (the old Wraith formation prior to the current Eldar codex was like this - exempting the Wave Serpents).

Confusingly broke down like this:

= Special Detachment (formation of formations) - Gains rules if all requirements met
> Formation (sub-detachment, outside of this special formation may sometimes be a detachment unto itself) - Gains rules of formation
>> Unit entry, including possible dedicated transport - Gains rules of both formation and overarching detachment

Sure, that makes sense. The question that prompted all of this is simply if a unit from one detachment can come in from reserves embarked on a non-dedicated transport from another detachment. We aren't attempting to add those models to the Storm Wing detachment, we just want them embarked in the Stormraven as they come on the table. Either I'm missing something from what you two are describing to me or what Uroboros is asking is completely legal.

Going back to that Flesh Tearer formation, those drop pods are frequently used as transports for something like a Mechanicus army which is obviously a completely separate detachment/formation. I don't see how using the Stormraven would be any different. I really hope it isn't any different because that would mean that A) I made a bunch of mistakes back when I had time to play and B) That would severely reduce the effectiveness of using the Storm Wing as an allied formation for my Blood Angels.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, Uroboros didn't ask if he could put models in the transports but if he could put them in "the formation." In light of this, do you understand our answer?

Yes, if a model/unit with transport capacity isn't dedicated to carrying a specific unit, any unit from your army can start the game embarked upon it. That's why Flesh Tearers as allies are so popular - they can purchase a cheap, empty Drop Pod as a Fast Attack choice. For pretty much all other Space Marine forces, Drop Pods are a dedicated transport. Aside: I view this as yet another way GW are poo poo at writing rules.

Does this make more sense?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I just wanted to know if they could ride along or not...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, I feel like we answered that pretty thoroughly the answer is yes

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Also the flesh tearers one is a FoC and not a formation.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Pendent posted:

Well, I feel like we answered that pretty thoroughly the answer is yes

Thank you, it seemed obvious, but I just wanted to make sure.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Hey guys, just dropping in again to remind you that if you're looking for a GT in April, we've got a big one coming up with a TON of prizes and sponsors:

http://www.flyingmonkeygt.com/p/flying-monkey-gt-wichitas-top-miniature_3.html

I'm playing in the GT, the Knight Joust and Beerhammer.

A few of us already signed up and I know a few more who are committed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of transports, is there any way to start cultists in a transport, like a Repressor(counts as rhino) or something, or is it a "they have to start on the board and then embark" thing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of transports, is there any way to start cultists in a transport, like a Repressor(counts as rhino) or something, or is it a "they have to start on the board and then embark" thing.

Put them in a Land Raider? It's not an especially good use for an already over costed vehicle, but that's the only codex-legal way.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Is 1/35 or 1/ 43 a better scale for 40k in case I'm looking at model Limousines on eBay?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Probably 1:48 if you want to go huge, or look for a die-cast "Days Gone" or Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" if you want something more historical / truescale / accurate (ie: just over Space Marine bike size.)

The original cult limos were converted up Marx "Cars of the Future" toy car, which got a re-issue about ten years ago but are still hard to find.

e:

Actually these weren't the original limos, but they're the gold standard for 28mm Fallout terrain.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 6, 2016

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Digging the coat of arms on the Admech, they're more like super space Nazis than Krieg are.

Speaking of which, why isn't Forgeworld making more Krieg crap so they can continue printing money?

ineptmule posted:

Maybe I'll get the female ones as well and impose a more demure standard of dress on them. How hard can it be??

There's a sculptor, actually, by the name of Jennifer(?) [Something-or-the-other] who made a line of female Cadians. They don't have titty armor, much like real-life lady soldiers. I think she made a line of Praetorians, too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

There's a sculptor, actually, by the name of Jennifer(?) [Something-or-the-other] who made a line of female Cadians. They don't have titty armor, much like real-life lady soldiers. I think she made a line of Praetorians, too.
Do you mean Victoria Lamb? Not sure where you get Jennifer from.
http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

Do you mean Victoria Lamb? Not sure where you get Jennifer from.
http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/

Victoria Lamb is the person who got me into Warhammer, so she can rot in hell.

But she is also super awesome and I have some of the not-cadians (both male and female) and the are also super awesome.

EDIT: Also, she is a woman who sculpts woman and was told to make her women more feminine by a man on the internet. I don't want to dig up the old dakkadakka/warseer/whatever thread but it was kind of hilarious.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's no need to dig up that awful dakka post. I'm sure we've all seen it multiple times.
:negative:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That thread is a treasured jewel in my memories, along with the Eldar rape diorama.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trying out the whole genestealer cult tomorrow. Proxies for now, but it should be interesting. Going artillery node, a flyrant, and... not sure.

I don't know if I would ever run anything from it outside of the formation. The broodlord might be fun, but the rest seem too slow without fleet.They are nice and cheap, but so are all the other gants, and at least the hormies get bonus to movement.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Digging the coat of arms on the Admech, they're more like super space Nazis than Krieg are.

Speaking of which, why isn't Forgeworld making more Krieg crap so they can continue printing money?

Hell, in theory you could just buy the heads and shove them on any generic sci-fi soldier and call it done. Although, those sculpts are fantastic.

I haven't seen the dakka thread but I don't think I need to, to know it's complete :gonk:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Safety Factor posted:

There's no need to dig up that awful dakka post. I'm sure we've all seen it multiple times.
:negative:

For those of us who havent seen it :allears:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey 40k thread, long time no see. A few old timers might recognize me and my Salamanders. I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and find them a new home, where they will be used and appreciated. :unsmith:

I have no idea what modern point values would be, but IIRC I had ~3500-4000 points worth of stuff using 5th edition codex costs. I'm not interested in splitting it up. If you're interested in some decently painted Salamanders feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here for my email address. I have a spreadsheet with everything listed, and a lot more pics I can provide. There's a Battlefoam 1520 bag they come in, as well as some other cool stuff like FW brass etch and 3 unused sets of the OOP Salamanders decals that came out a couple years ago.

There's probably still a few old school posters around here who can vouch for me, and I can provide Bartertown references and such as well.

Here's some example pics:

Hopefully this post is kosher. If not just consider it a collection of sweet pics I guess? Thanks for looking!

Those are beautiful, and I just happen to be interested in a Space Marine army, having recently gotten back into 40k myself. I don't have PMs, could I trouble you for your e-mail address? I promise I will feed them and take them for walks twice a day!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, so modern arms don't actually fit on the old metal space marines. Anyone have a stash of the old 90s ones, like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-4...QkAAOSwx-9WyHI7

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Post 9-11 User posted:

Indeed. They are great models. I'm not really into Guard but I have bought quite a lot of bits from Victoria because her kind of antique looking weapons are cool for certain purposes :)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Well here he is ready to take me to Adepticon and humble the Badab Rebels. Needs some final touch up on the face and banner, thoughts?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Real Horse posted:

Those are beautiful, and I just happen to be interested in a Space Marine army, having recently gotten back into 40k myself. I don't have PMs, could I trouble you for your e-mail address? I promise I will feed them and take them for walks twice a day!

Sure thing! It's now redacted. I'll delete it here once you let me know you have it. Thanks!

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 7, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

Trying out the whole genestealer cult tomorrow. Proxies for now, but it should be interesting. Going artillery node, a flyrant, and... not sure.

I don't know if I would ever run anything from it outside of the formation. The broodlord might be fun, but the rest seem too slow without fleet.They are nice and cheap, but so are all the other gants, and at least the hormies get bonus to movement.

For 85pts the Acolytes are fantastic for back line objective holding and middle table advancement. They are slow, but they are murderous and innately Fearless, which means they don't need the babysitting most Tyranid troops do. Just stick the Patriarch into a standard Genestealer unit and infiltrate the whole lot. If you get Invisibility they're just going to stomp around the table murdering everything, if not, well, at least you can target the unit for Tyranid buffs. The Neophytes aren't terrible either, considering they create a rare ranged anti-tank defense bubble that Nids don't really see otherwise. The HQ and Troop choices are pretty solid. The choices, eh, not so much.

Edit: I've been putting the Overkill kit together and it's another marked improvement in kit quality. Everything goes together easy and is simple to figure out, even without using the instructions.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Edit: I've been putting the Overkill kit together and it's another marked improvement in kit quality. Everything goes together easy and is simple to figure out, even without using the instructions.

What I found really impressive was the option to mix and match parts on some models like the Aberrants and Hybrids, giving you far more scope for variety. Gone are the days of all identical monopose troopers in these big box games, almost every one of the ~40 Genecult models can be unique.

The detailed components also meant I was also able to easily replace some of the bare marine heads with helmets. I really don't like painting hair, so now only the bald ones get to stand out.

• Locked thread