Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos posted:

ToQ was fun, but ultimately the villains Wagon stole the show in that series

Your post was inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raserys posted:

Just having one great villain would be more great characters than Ninninger

How quickly people have forgotten the greatest character of Ninninger...Dadninger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your post was inaccurate.

Your post is also inaccurate because of Ticket

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wonder if they'll make a thing out of the robots carrying robots for Ninja Steel, would be super fun if the zords turned out to be giant aliens in costumes or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I wonder if they'll make a thing out of the robots carrying robots for Ninja Steel, would be super fun if the zords turned out to be giant aliens in costumes or something.

I hope desperately for a thing where the Evil Gameshow Host and whatever they use for the "mentor" character are frienemy co-commentators for wrestling-style play by play announcements during the giant battles.

"WHOA! It looks like the Red Ranger's Zord is taking the wheel! It's a bold tactic, but it seems a little over-complicated. A lot could go wrong here."

"I disagree. These kids have a lot of heart, and, frankly, I built this thing to run enough juice through that blade to power the West Coast for a year."

"Fair enough, buddy. We'll see how big you talk when my Monstroid- WHOA! OH, MY STARS HE EXPLODED-"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope desperately for a thing where the Evil Gameshow Host and whatever they use for the "mentor" character are frienemy co-commentators for wrestling-style play by play announcements during the giant battles.

"WHOA! It looks like the Red Ranger's Zord is taking the wheel! It's a bold tactic, but it seems a little over-complicated. A lot could go wrong here."

"I disagree. These kids have a lot of heart, and, frankly, I built this thing to run enough juice through that blade to power the West Coast for a year."

"Fair enough, buddy. We'll see how big you talk when my Monstroid- WHOA! OH, MY STARS HE EXPLODED-"

That is one of my favorite aspects of Gekiranger/Jungle Fury.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Been a while since I watched Jungle Fury, did Disney actually take Bae and Mele co-commentating the fights?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

GuyUpNorth posted:

Been a while since I watched Jungle Fury, did Disney actually take Bae and Mele co-commentating the fights?

Yup, Camille & Flit still did those roles.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Tyler's dad has the created child support avoidance excuse I've ever heard. That episode really undercut a lot of what they were trying to do with Tyler's character. And why is Kendall only ever morphed for two seconds?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I watched since MMPR over the weekend and holy poo poo it's so insane and good.

This episode with a Pirhana monster has Tommy sperg out that he forgot his karate belt while everyone gives him bemused looks, features a scene to establish he is going through the park which is two seconds long, has him smiling like a madman and roundhouse kicking a tree for no reason, and Jason keeps calling the clearly a fish monster a lizard. They go through about four different megazord formations in the span of about 30 seconds, the mister is insane ranting about his goony bird eggs. Billy is dressed like a cowboy for no reason at all.

It's god drat amazing. So I watched the next few and they're all exactly like this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

greatn posted:

This episode with a Pirhana monster has Tommy sperg out that he forgot his karate belt while everyone gives him bemused looks, features a scene to establish he is going through the park which is two seconds long, has him smiling like a madman and roundhouse kicking a tree for no reason, and Jason keeps calling the clearly a fish monster a lizard. They go through about four different megazord formations in the span of about 30 seconds, the mister is insane ranting about his goony bird eggs. Billy is dressed like a cowboy for no reason at all.

It's god drat amazing. So I watched the next few and they're all exactly like this.

Everybody should watch the first season or two of MMPR for this reason. It is completely surreal. Do these teenagers have homes or families? They spend all their time at this seemingly incredibly upscale gym/smoothie bar for youths? Sometimes they are at school, and their principal is like an off-brand Mr. Belding. All the scenes with monsters and/or rangers that got filmed or re-filmed for MMPR specifically are like crack cocaine if you appreciate terrible B-grade production values like I do. We're talking visible seams, we're talking damaged or knock-off monster suits, the whole nine yards. Check out episode 6 when the pig monster shows up to eat a party sub, it's wild.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

greatn posted:

You should obtain and watch Zyuranger in the future, as it's also pretty great

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, Zyuranger also doesn't make a lot of sense. Dora Circe, the pig-head in a centurion helmet, was literally because Bandora hated this one fat kid who enjoyed having meals with his family. So she made a monster which would eat everything, ensuring that kid couldn't have nice meals with his folks anymore.

A lot of her plots involve ruining childrens lives. You'd think a mother would be more compassionate :downs:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

A lot of her plots involve ruining childrens lives. You'd think a mother would be more compassionate :downs:

She was a bad mother and wants to make all other parents looks worst in comparison.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Finished Ninninger over the weekend and dear god the ending was a giant wet fart. Really disappointing series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It had to happen eventually. We had a really good run from Gokaiger through Kyoryuger and even ToQger was fairly decent, but they had to make a bad series eventually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, Zyuranger also doesn't make a lot of sense. Dora Circe, the pig-head in a centurion helmet, was literally because Bandora hated this one fat kid who enjoyed having meals with his family. So she made a monster which would eat everything, ensuring that kid couldn't have nice meals with his folks anymore.

One thing I find hilarious is that Rita is paradoxically sillier and yet more dangerous than Bandora. Sillier because she doesn't worship Satan or plot to murder children for power or whatever

More dangerous because her plan with that monster, was for it to eat all of the world's food supply and have everyone starve to death.

Also where Rita orchestrated the entire plan with the Green Ranger and breaking down the Power Rangers, Bandora mostly lucked into that because Dragon Ranger had a massive hate on for his bro.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
But the Bandora song :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Morby posted:

But the Bandora song :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ToYotp1SM

You can't just say that and not link it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://atopthefourthwall.com/kaizoku-sentai-gokaiger-ep-1-5/

Linkara did a video looking at the first five episodes of Gokaiger as a Patreon request. He makes a lot of jokes about Captain Marvelous being a dick but he really enjoys what he has watched of it and likes how well done the first two tribute episodes are.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

jivjov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ToYotp1SM

You can't just say that and not link it.

That song is incredible! :allears: I feel like I'm listening to some Bollywood soundtrack.

Testekill posted:

http://atopthefourthwall.com/kaizoku-sentai-gokaiger-ep-1-5/

Linkara did a video looking at the first five episodes of Gokaiger as a Patreon request. He makes a lot of jokes about Captain Marvelous being a dick but he really enjoys what he has watched of it and likes how well done the first two tribute episodes are.

Amusingly I just finished the fifth episode of Gokaiger as well. I'm really liking it. I actually wanted to watch Mega Force since tribute/crossover stuff is always appealing to me. But all the bad stuff I've heard made me decide to watch Gokaiger instead. Even if I don't know everything they're paying tribute to.
Captain Marvelous is so stupid, it's great. It's like he's not really part of the same world as everyone else or something.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

That song is incredible! :allears: I feel like I'm listening to some Bollywood soundtrack.

Amusingly I just finished the fifth episode of Gokaiger as well. I'm really liking it. I actually wanted to watch Mega Force since tribute/crossover stuff is always appealing to me. But all the bad stuff I've heard made me decide to watch Gokaiger instead. Even if I don't know everything they're paying tribute to.
Captain Marvelous is so stupid, it's great. It's like he's not really part of the same world as everyone else or something.

It gets even better once characters like Gai & Bosco are introduced. Bosco is somehow even smugger than Marvelous which is an impressive feat.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Marvelous is :smug:, Bosco is :smuggo:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Cast photo for the upcoming Power Rangers movie

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/03/power-rangers-cast-first-look

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

greatn posted:

There's an episode where Skull is wearing a Civil War-era US Army cavalry outfit. I know that it's a first season episode, but can't remember which one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to a panel the dude who played Skull I saw on YouTube, they gave the two actors a stack of cash and said "Go pick up whatever you two think your characters would wear".

Guess Professor Narvy thought Skull would see some civil war and think "Yes, this is good. This is what I should wear."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

MisterBibs posted:

According to a panel the dude who played Skull I saw on YouTube, they gave the two actors a stack of cash and said "Go pick up whatever you two think your characters would wear".

Guess Professor Narvy thought Skull would see some civil war and think "Yes, this is good. This is what I should wear."

Wow.

WOW.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will always love season 1 because it is such an experiment. They had no real idea what they were doing and slowly but surely figured out what worked and what didn't. Tommy storyline was a huge success, so they moved towards more stuff like that. They got a huge leg up by having the footage they did, too. Some of the best mecha and monsters of the franchise to bolster the weaker episodes, and to enhance the great ones.

It's not one of the best series ever, but it's a drat solid one for what it is. Then season 2 got hosed over in every possible way, including having an episode where they LITERALLY had no actors to have on screen.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

And of course there's Ron Wasserman's classic music which is still an identifying mark of the franchise to this day.

I emailed Ron years ago and asked him about the MMPR song; apparently, he was some dude at Saban who did backing tracks for other stuff, and he whipped up a really rough tune as a concept or whatever. He forwarded it up the chain to see if they wanted him to go down that path and develop the song into something better produced, and they accepted his rough draft as a completed song and just rolled forward with it :v:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zedd posted:

Marvelous is :smug:, Bosco is :smuggo:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fun fact. I remember wanting to watch a rerun of Power Rangers and it was cancelled due to a live broadcast of Richard Nixon's funeral and felt annoyed.

I was eight. Shut up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

And of course there's Ron Wasserman's classic music which is still an identifying mark of the franchise to this day.

I emailed Ron years ago and asked him about the MMPR song; apparently, he was some dude at Saban who did backing tracks for other stuff, and he whipped up a really rough tune as a concept or whatever. He forwarded it up the chain to see if they wanted him to go down that path and develop the song into something better produced, and they accepted his rough draft as a completed song and just rolled forward with it :v:

it's such a shame he got tired of working for PR. I understand not wanting to be forever associated with the series, but it's still a bit of a shame. He did come back for SPD at least and that was good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Xelkelvos posted:

it's such a shame he got tired of working for PR. I understand not wanting to be forever associated with the series, but it's still a bit of a shame. He did come back for SPD at least and that was good.

Wasn't the issue was that he wanted to work for PR, but they wouldn't take his songs during the disney era?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

deadly_pudding posted:

Everybody should watch the first season or two of MMPR for this reason. It is completely surreal. Do these teenagers have homes or families?

Of course they have families, you didn't see the episode where they had Parents Day at the youth center and Jason's dad arm wrestled Trini's dad?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Of course they have families, you didn't see the episode where they had Parents Day at the youth center and Jason's dad arm wrestled Trini's dad?

Also Bulk's parents are totally normal people and he's so happy about them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Burkion posted:

Then season 2 got hosed over in every possible way, including having an episode where they LITERALLY had no actors to have on screen.

Wait, which one is this? I want to see this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wait, which one is this? I want to see this.

You might have!

It's The Wedding Part 2, I believe. All of the Ranger actors were busy making the movie so they spend the entire episode morphed with ADR done after the fact.

The brilliant thing is you might not even notice at first watch through because it's in the middle of a three parter and there's so much insane poo poo happening on the villain side of things.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

You might have!

It's The Wedding Part 2, I believe. All of the Ranger actors were busy making the movie so they spend the entire episode morphed with ADR done after the fact.

The brilliant thing is you might not even notice at first watch through because it's in the middle of a three parter and there's so much insane poo poo happening on the villain side of things.

I've been rewatching MMPR season 2 recently in prep for some friends coming in to marathon Dairanger. I just finished this three parter and it didn't even occur to me. Lol.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

You might have!

poo poo, my guess was gonna be the one where Red Yellow and Black get replaced because I swear I remember some reused scenes because whatever backstage drama that led to them getting replaced meant they couldn't shoot a real passing of the torch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

poo poo, my guess was gonna be the one where Red Yellow and Black get replaced because I swear I remember some reused scenes because whatever backstage drama that led to them getting replaced meant they couldn't shoot a real passing of the torch

Oh that happens a LOT in season 2. After a certain point, any time the original trio show up they're either stock footage, unused footage, in suit or literally different people obscured.

But even then they TENDED to have the other actors around. Only until near the end did that stop being a thing. Fun fact- because some of the footage they used to try and make it seem like Jason and co were around was done when Tommy was still Green, they had Tommy wearing green outfits randomly in new footage to make the transition not look TOO jarring.