Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
my nigga have you tried WebEx

or join.me, I have walked literal grandma's through join.me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont like webex imo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft broke pop email in outlook 2016 in such a way that not only will it send multiple copies of an email to your inbox, it also deletes email off the server if you tell it not to do that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i mean yeah that's a funny bug but who the gently caress is keeping their office suite up to date and also using pop

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

i mean yeah that's a funny bug but who the gently caress is keeping their office suite up to date and also using pop
a few customers of ours, one of which is a local small business who's been using us as their dsl/email/hosting provider for 15 years, and at under $60/month who could blame them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

a few customers of ours, one of which is a local small business who's been using us as their dsl/email/hosting provider for 15 years, and at under $60/month who could blame them

if you cant configure imap then gently caress You

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you cant configure imap then gently caress You

not emptyquoting

also possibly emptyquoting

has there even been a reason for a sane e-mail provider to use pop3 in the past fifteen years

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Unimaginative posted:

not emptyquoting

also possibly emptyquoting

has there even been a reason for a sane e-mail provider to use pop3 in the past fifteen years
we have like a 25MB disk quota for our users, because we hate our users enough to charge them $25/month for disk quota overages on a $30/year email account, which is why we encourage pop

in fact we hate our customers and our support staff so much that when our google apps account shut down, and we had to migrate those people to office 365, we told them to set up their account as pop or imap

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

we have like a 25MB disk quota for our users, because we hate our users enough to charge them $25/month for disk quota overages on a $30/year email account, which is why we encourage pop

in fact we hate our customers and our support staff so much that when our google apps account shut down, and we had to migrate those people to office 365, we told them to set up their account as pop or imap

Unfortunately the forums don't let you set a text style of "size of hollywood sign and on fire" because apparently 'sane' needed that in my post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Unfortunately the forums don't let you set a text style of "size of hollywood sign and on fire" because apparently 'sane' needed that in my post.
i apologize if it looked like i was arguing with you, i just needed to bitch about my job for a sec

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
my company provides an online environment to use our software via rdp (BC it's so janky it's nearly impossible to keep running if you host your own servers) that comes with a free 50mb pop account which some people insist on using for their primary account

we're just now upgrading to office 2013 tho so lucked out there

Also IMAP support in outlook is held together with voodoo magic so we just tell people it's not supported

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my parents still kind of use the email address they have from comcast, for which there is no support for IMAP, POP only

as i remember comcast's webmail client is distinct from where emails are delivered, and their webmail is just another POP3 client for that service, making it impossible to do something like "use ipad to check email while on vacation" and not have messages exclusively sent to whichever device you connect from most recently

of course just set them up with a gmail account and configured comcast to forward all email there, and then connect to gmail over IMAP from computer and ipad and such

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Comcast has had IMAP since Windows 8 shipped without a POP client.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/email-inventor-ray-tomlinson-dies-at-74/

they killed pop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
office 365 subscriptions are changing so if you're logged in to office you'll get this popup:

unless you're using dark grey theme, in which case the popup looks like this:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

why does the theme change the button to Update instead of Sign In?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
because one of them is from microsoft's site and the other is the one i got

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anthonypants posted:

office 365 subscriptions are changing so if you're logged in to office you'll get this popup:

unless you're using dark grey theme, in which case the popup looks like this:

Man, that's way better than just paying one price for the product and being done.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

did anyone click that link with the instructions on how to fix that error? apparently if you're running Office 2013 you have to fully uninstall and reinstall office :eyepoop: if someone changes your office365 plan

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Citizen Tayne posted:

Man, that's way better than just paying one price for the product and being done.

the decision to change toa subscription-based model was definitely done for your benefit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

minivanmegafun posted:

did anyone click that link with the instructions on how to fix that error? apparently if you're running Office 2013 you have to fully uninstall and reinstall office :eyepoop: if someone changes your office365 plan
yeah, we're an office 365 reseller and i don't think we've told our customers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wheany posted:

the decision to change toa subscription-based model was definitely done for your benefit.

That's precisely what i'm saying, dumbass

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
protip you can set up both gmail and outlook.com to grab emails from a pop3 account and to put them into a folder on those services. you can also set up an alias for the old address

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

AtomD posted:

protip you can set up both gmail and outlook.com to grab emails from a pop3 account and to put them into a folder on those services. you can also set up an alias for the old address

do this to someone you hate

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's precisely what i'm saying, dumbass

i wasn't disagreeing with you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
microsoft killed lionhead.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microsoft-studios-changes-uk-denmark/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm pretty sure the new xbox on windows push is literally their last gasp into the area of video games and they were like "well we had the infrastructure and tech already might as well go out appearing to try to succeded"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, it's a part of their push to eliminate all third-party software sales on the Windows platform.

Phase one was giving the Windows Store away for free, phase two was forcibly installing the Windows Store on as many computers as possible, phase three is trying to come up with stuff in the Windows Store that people might actually buy.

The world's number one PC software store is Steam, therefore people must be willing to buy games from software stores.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

The world's number one PC software store is Steam, therefore people must be willing to buy games from software stores.

"Let's compete with Steam by creating the worst digital storefront ever!" See also: GFWL

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 7, 2016

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

GFWL wasn't a store, you still had to buy those through Steam or in a box or something.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gfwl was hosed up

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

GFWL wasn't a store, you still had to buy those through Steam or in a box or something.

they sold some things directly too, but the fact that you didn't know that is a good indicator of how successful they were

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

they sold some things directly too, but the fact that you didn't know that is a good indicator of how successful they were

I have 5 games on GFW marketplace I will never get to play again

gently caress GFW

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

gfwl was hosed up

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

I have 5 games on GFW marketplace I will never get to play again

gently caress GFW

redeeming on the xbox.com website worked for a while but then they severed the backend in such a way that redemption would only work correctly in the gfwl app itself.

if you redeemed a code on xbox.com, it would redeem the pc contents as corrupt xbox 360 items and then your codes were "used" and couldn't be redeemed properly ever.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: Are they saying SQL 2016 on Linux is faster than Windows?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why is everyone talking about games for windows live when microsoft just announced sql server for linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

why is everyone talking about games for windows live when microsoft just announced sql server for linux

it is so confusing and unexpected and nonsensical that we are literally at a loss for words

we need Shaggar to explain it to us

• Locked thread