Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Alighieri posted:

If the earth is round, how come airplane pilots don't have to keep pushing down on the control column to keep from flying off the earth, tell me that.

It's automated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Alighieri posted:

If the earth is round, how come airplane pilots don't have to keep pushing down on the control column to keep from flying off the earth, tell me that.

Travelling in a straight line in a gravity well is a curve. Things that are orbiting ARE moving in a perfectly straight line around the Earth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jeoh posted:

It's automated

Skandranon posted:

Travelling in a straight line in a gravity well is a curve. Things that are orbiting ARE moving in a perfectly straight line around the Earth.

So...the earth is flat?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Inspector_666 posted:

So...the earth is flat?

It is flat in a special way such that a straight line around it meets itself.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I was gonna link the B.O.B. flat earth tweets from January, but turns out he deleted them. One of them was the airplane thing. Trim tab is indeed there, but its more about controlling lift then keeping the airplane from flying into space. The slide literally mentioned airplanes should fly into space if the earth is round.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skandranon posted:

It is flat in a special way such that a straight line around it meets itself.

Got it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Skandranon posted:

:monocle:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So my boss just gave his 2 weeks notice today, saying he was tired of the stress he got from the position. I don't blame him at all, being one of the few departments that consistently accomplishes things and treated like poo poo wears thin. But with this, we are pretty hosed, as there is a ton of stuff that we have no experience on, more stuff we only have a little experience on, and because our training has been laughably bad for years, I don't think we'll be able to cover.
I guess I'm going to see what the senior management people decide in the next weeks, and I might be joining him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Skandranon posted:

I always academically knew this, but I never actually internalized this until I started playing Kerbal Space Program. Suddenly Orbital Mechanics made total sense.

Basically, I'm suggesting you have your flat earth co-worker play KSP and record what happens.

:jeb:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Clearly KSP is just an academic exercise in what things could be like on a round planet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And the mechanics they implement in their theoretical round world behave suspiciously similar to real world rocket mechanics.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

xzzy posted:

And the mechanics they implement in their theoretical round world behave suspiciously similar to real world rocket mechanics.

When the international conspiracy involves governments aflat the world colluding for the last few hundred years even when they were ostensibly at war, writing a few lines of code and distributing as a video game for a propaganda device is chump change.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Users not reading downtime notices and putting in tickets at 6am complaining that the program is down.

This secretary in the admin suite is acting incredibly bizarre. It's almost Dick Trauma tier.

My lead had one of us drop off a laptop for the new VP of development. My lead gets a text shortly after demanding to know what this laptop is for and threatens to go to the CIO if she doesn't hear back soon. She's worked here for 4 weeks, isn't even the only secretary there, and believes we need to go through to her if we're to do anything there. She seems to think she's entitled to boss us around, even telling my lead that he can't leave for lunch until Skype is installed for her (which she had uninstalled the next day). The people there with the actual power there don't even act like this. This kind of behavior is not outside the norm for her.

What really fries me is my boss is afraid to make waves and do something about it. If it were me I'd be on the incident reporting system and drat the consequences. You need to try to build up a record so she doesn't get too entrenched to get rid of.

I hope they get rid of her soon. She's acted bitchy to people who actually matter on accident too and it's only a matter of time before her thin veneer of civility falls away at the wrong time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Other site has been saying "It is this person's last week" for 5 weeks now. Stop telling me to terminate accounts on Friday then reactive them on Monday. The user probably has forgotten since after the 2nd week I just called Friday right before end of day to confirm and been told "no next week". What is going to happen is they are just going to not tell me when they get rid of the person at this point since they usually don't give any heads up.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
D&H's DecisionPro software always pisses me off, but this new poo poo brings it to another level.

Their install materials for client software are always notoriously low-effort affairs that cause lots of hair pulling on the systems side of things, but the fact that their setup.exe invokes an entire replica file structure in order to function speaks volumes on how little these chucklefucks know.

So instead of packaging everything in the setup file it REQUIRES something like the following to exist:

This inflates the 300 MB client install to huge proportions since none of the compression of the setup file is being utilized and the entirety of that image's content needs to be pushed to every client for an SCCM-based deployment. It's incredibly aggravating. This is nothing new, I know that financial vendors will always be a poo poo show, but I can't help but scream every once in a while. Setup.exe also invokes the MSI to proceed, so the command line to make it work silently is setup.exe /S /v/q. None of this is documented anywhere, of course.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The guy who had his last day and then came back the following Monday, for the whole week? This morning the HR assistant said "I think you might be clear to disable his access." I suggested she send me an email to formalize the request and she said "Uh... I'll do some checking first."

He's like Schrodinger's employee.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

The guy who had his last day and then came back the following Monday, for the whole week? This morning the HR assistant said "I think you might be clear to disable his access." I suggested she send me an email to formalize the request and she said "Uh... I'll do some checking first."

He's like Schrodinger's employee.

Hah, HR fired somebody but either the manager won't follow through with actually firing them, or the employee is contacting HR saying "Nuh uh I'm not fired I need access to my stuff!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I gave notice, and my company went out of there way to keep me. At the same time a couple of coworkers I'm close to gave notice, too. One of them they begged to stay, but he's moving so he said no. The other one, they just pointed to the door and were like "too bad so sad k thnx bye"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hah, HR fired somebody but either the manager won't follow through with actually firing them, or the employee is contacting HR saying "Nuh uh I'm not fired I need access to my stuff!"

Dude resigned to go to a better job. But somehow still needed to work here. Or not. Who knows?

NOT HR!

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

D&H's DecisionPro software always pisses me off, but this new poo poo brings it to another level.

Their install materials for client software are always notoriously low-effort affairs that cause lots of hair pulling on the systems side of things, but the fact that their setup.exe invokes an entire replica file structure in order to function speaks volumes on how little these chucklefucks know.

So instead of packaging everything in the setup file it REQUIRES something like the following to exist:

This inflates the 300 MB client install to huge proportions since none of the compression of the setup file is being utilized and the entirety of that image's content needs to be pushed to every client for an SCCM-based deployment. It's incredibly aggravating. This is nothing new, I know that financial vendors will always be a poo poo show, but I can't help but scream every once in a while. Setup.exe also invokes the MSI to proceed, so the command line to make it work silently is setup.exe /S /v/q. None of this is documented anywhere, of course.

Should just link them NSIS, it's dead easy to use and documented to hell and back. But maybe they are scared of free software.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Dude resigned to go to a better job. But somehow still needed to work here. Or not. Who knows?

NOT HR!

ICO! ICO! ICO! Have you learned nothing DickTrauma?

poo poo pissing me off Windows 10, testing and image creation time. It feels like I just got my Windows 7 image and deployment absolutely perfect.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

ICO! ICO! ICO! Have you learned nothing DickTrauma?

poo poo pissing me off Windows 10, testing and image creation time. It feels like I just got my Windows 7 image and deployment absolutely perfect.

I feel the same way except Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Current company skipped 8.1 entirely but we'll need to have Windows 10 up and running. It just feels so awesome when you've got everything setup perfectly. All the apps packaged just right, no driver cabs to weed through and clean up, scripts running without a hitch. Oh well, guess its time to do the same thing with 10. Anything bright, shiny and new with Powershell 5 and deployments?

Edit: I quit being lazy and checked myself. OneGet! Which allows you to add in package sources like Chocolately, which is a favorite of mine.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

I spent like a day or two getting our Windows 8.1 image perfected, though after it was all said and done it was optional and only deployed upon request. I think we deployed it on like 3 machines. :downs:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Current company skipped 8.1 entirely but we'll need to have Windows 10 up and running. It just feels so awesome when you've got everything setup perfectly. All the apps packaged just right, no driver cabs to weed through and clean up, scripts running without a hitch. Oh well, guess its time to do the same thing with 10. Anything bright, shiny and new with Powershell 5 and deployments?

Everything seems pretty similar/identical as far as deployments go (we use MDT). I was lazy and just spun up a new VM and installed Deployment Toolkit 2013 Update 2 and the AIK on it instead of worrying about upgrading my existing one.

If you're interested in setting up a nice default start menu for people, I followed this guide which covered it pretty well (ignoring the IE stuff): http://ccmexec.com/2015/09/customizing-the-windows-10-start-menu-and-add-ie-shortcut-during-osd

All I really did was set up a section for Office and one for Browsers. It looks nice.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Clearly KSP is just an academic exercise in what things could be like on a round planet.

Would play KSP if someone modded it so that the earth was flat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Escape trajectory would be pretty simple, just roll off the edge.

Probably crash the program trying to simulate what happens next though. It's nothing but NaN down there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you wanted to go up, escape would be slightly harder since you couldn't use the rotation to your advantage.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Thing that isn't so much pissing me off today as having me scratching my head is how much work one of our contractors seems to like to make for herself. There is an issue with an important part of the software we use that has to have records in the database fixed daily. You have to change some dates to a very specific offset from the current date, and update some user assignments. Every day she would manually update the script, changing the dates, then manually create updates for each user assignment. Instead of, you know, making all that crap run-time generated. This isn't the first thing I've had to take over that she has worked on that she has made these same type of scripts for, one time scripts for something that has to be ran daily.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Thing that isn't so much pissing me off today as having me scratching my head is how much work one of our contractors seems to like to make for herself. There is an issue with an important part of the software we use that has to have records in the database fixed daily. You have to change some dates to a very specific offset from the current date, and update some user assignments. Every day she would manually update the script, changing the dates, then manually create updates for each user assignment. Instead of, you know, making all that crap run-time generated. This isn't the first thing I've had to take over that she has worked on that she has made these same type of scripts for, one time scripts for something that has to be ran daily.

DO YOU RUN AN IBM iSERIES BY ANY CHANCE

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

contractor paid by the hour? She liked money and didn't want to do NEW work.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bob Morales posted:

DO YOU RUN AN IBM iSERIES BY ANY CHANCE

Not to my knowledge, no.

And yeah, I guess the answer to "why would a contractor make a task you can automate into a daily task requiring several hours work to do" is a pretty obvious one. I mean, I could have continued to do the updates daily and waste everyone's time now that I'm taking that process over, as her contract is ending and we are not renewing, but I'd prefer not to spend a ton of time on repetitive work like that when I could just automate it and get more productive stuff done.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

No, it's cool. Just keep insisting on keep your Asus gaming router with DDWRT on running on it. I can't see how this will cause an issue with a large SIP PBX behind it.

Oh what's that? You are having packet loss issues and other SIP related issues? Sorry I can't hear you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Boss and I have a regular meeting at 1:30 every Tuesday.

I'm losing my mind. I always get there at exactly 1:30, and he's never back to his desk. I normally check back every 3-5min until about 1:45 or so, when I call it a wash because I have many things to tend to.

Every time, somewhere between 1:50 and 2:15 he'll stroll into my office and be like "so are we meeting or not?"

I dont know, gently caress, maybe look at your calendar or try to remember the same meeting we have literally every week

:ssj:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Walked posted:

Boss and I have a regular meeting at 1:30 every Tuesday.

I'm losing my mind. I always get there at exactly 1:30, and he's never back to his desk. I normally check back every 3-5min until about 1:45 or so, when I call it a wash because I have many things to tend to.

Every time, somewhere between 1:50 and 2:15 he'll stroll into my office and be like "so are we meeting or not?"

I dont know, gently caress, maybe look at your calendar or try to remember the same meeting we have literally every week

:ssj:

Leave a post-it on the middle of his screen every time you check his desk and he's not there. "Arrived at 1:30 for meeting, $boss not present. -Walked" "Arrived at 1:35 for meeting, $boss not present. -Walked" etc
If he doesn't explode, maybe he'll figure it out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nielsm posted:

Leave a post-it on the middle of his screen every time you check his desk and he's not there. "Arrived at 1:30 for meeting, $boss not present. -Walked" "Arrived at 1:35 for meeting, $boss not present. -Walked" etc
If he doesn't explode, maybe he'll figure it out.

Post it note might be a bit dick-slappy.

Keep meeting minute notes. Include the messages above in your meeting notes. Email him a copy to "keep you both aware of what was discussed at the meeting".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When he comes to find you at 13:50 just make sure you've moved onto another task and now can't meet. This isn't a great option if the meeting is for your benefit though.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Escape trajectory would be pretty simple, just roll off the edge.

Probably crash the program trying to simulate what happens next though. It's nothing but NaN down there.

I've always spelled it "turtles" but your way is cool too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or bring a laptop and wheel over a chair and sit outside his office until he shows up. Master looking like you've been there for an eternity.

Passive aggressiveness works!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

^^ I have a pretty good workplace rapport; so I dont really care to push those boundaries or ruffle any feathers I can avoid. They already give me 60%+ telework when the organizational "maximum" is a single day per week. ^^

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Post it note might be a bit dick-slappy.

Keep meeting minute notes. Include the messages above in your meeting notes. Email him a copy to "keep you both aware of what was discussed at the meeting".

This is more or less what I started doing; somewhere in the following half hour I'll type up a summary of discussion points so he can be "in the know", but that makes it a very one-way meeting.

And the meeting is mutually beneficial; it's just a quick weekly discussion of the state of affairs of IT infrastructure, outstanding management items/roadblocks, team requests and needs, purchasing, staff incoming/outgoing, etc. So it's not really a meeting I like to skimp on or miss.

Not the end of the world, but it sure makes me a little bit frustrated :mad:

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maybe change it to biweekly? Seems like it might be a bit much weekly if you have a good ticketing system. You could also do what John Oliver found on Last Week Tonight on the 6th about Special Districts. One of them was 2 people and took it very very seriously even taking questions from the public in a meeting with only the 2 chair members showing up week after week. They did it completely serious too. That would probably get his attention.