Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is to the devs because it's drat hard to make a Tamer which would not attract pedos.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
I tried going over some of the previous pages but I think I should just ask to be safe, how is the goon population spread around?
The EU server thing seemed not to happen at least.

EDIT: I suck cocks and need to refresh the OP more often

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grausherra posted:

I tried going over some of the previous pages but I think I should just ask to be safe, how is the goon population spread around?
The EU server thing seemed not to happen at least.

On NA - Orwen - Balenos 2 I consistently see a full guild, another goon guild and lots of people talking and doing stuff.

Haven't looked elsewhere so :shrug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How to play a valkyrie-

Valkyries are pretty simple to play and skill, they have like 4 primary abilities that you will want to focus on, but the level reqs for leveled up ones mean that you'll have plenty of points left to put into secondary abilities while leveling.

Primary Abilities

Sword of Judgement (backwards + RMB)- Your main source of damage both for melee aoe and single target. Its a bunch of damage in a frontal cone, drains your holy power at a high pace.

Throw Shield
(backwards + Q)- Lob your shield in a straight line doing tons of damage to mobs and stunning them +flipping them around. Does not stun if on cooldown. Useful for aoe grinding at mid range, by the time the mobs get close to you they'll be pretty much dead.

Just Guard- (while blocking forward + LMB) Somewhat different from the other classes, valks primary method of regenerating resources is by blocking attacks and using just guard to poke at enemies while blocking. Does ok damage, but it lets you keep guard up which helps when pulling massive packs.

Celestial Spear- (backwards + e) Huge burst in a very small area and slow enemies struck by it. You can use this ability to cancel out of other animations. This things would make it good enough to max out, but the real boon this thing has is the boosted crit rate you get after using it. At max level its a whopping 80% extra crit rate for 5 seconds.

Secondary abilities

Punishment (E)- You grab a dude and smack him in the ground knocking him and his buddies on their asses. Good damage and CC, perfect to use after softening mobs with shield throws.

Heavens Echo (Shift + Q) - Your taunt that also boosts your damage and the accuracy of everyone in your party. Its duration lasts longer than its cooldown, always have it on.

Breath of Elion (shift + E)- AoE heal + resource recovery + extra run speed for 10 seconds. Very useful.

Vow of Trust (Shift + Space)- Sacrifice stamina for your attack resource. Dont need to level it up really, but its really useful to have your resource top off before a pull.

Sideways Slash (left or right + left click) - Quick slashes while dodging in the direction you are pressing. Higher levels use less stamina. Useful for repositioning while taking on packs

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 6, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Anyone looking at this game as a way to just hop in and play without thought, don't. If you don't watch a minimum of 30.minutes in videos and memorize that OP you will be yelled at. This game is college, and all the current Goons are smarter than you and don't want to help when you can go to the library yourself.

If you do want to treat this game like that, it is very fun however and I recommend getting it.

E: Also even after you memorize it, you better check the OP every hour because gently caress you if you don't notice a change to it that was made thirty minutes ago. Memorizing it will help figure out what has changed.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 5, 2016

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Drythe posted:

Anyone looking at this game as a way to just hop in and play without thought, don't. If you don't watch a minimum of 30.minutes in videos and memorize that OP you will be yelled at. This game is college, and all the current Goons are smarter than you and don't want to help when you can go to the library yourself.

If you do want to treat this game like that, it is very fun however and I recommend getting it.

E: Also even after you memorize it, you better check the OP every hour because gently caress you if you don't notice a change to it that was made thirty minutes ago. Memorizing it will help figure out what has changed.

Did Lumbering Troll yell at you?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a way to bind the Del key somehow? Maybe via .ini or something? Because if you try and do it via the in-game menu it just gets rid of whatever keybind was there originally.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ahaha I laugh every time lumbering troll goes "just watch this 20 minute video"

like ok, no

also you can have multiple channels in mumble, having everyone in one isn't so good of an idea

having a newbie channel for new questions wouldn't be bad, but it would be empty of anyone who wants to answer questions

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Mumble splintered. Doom is here.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ohsosad posted:

Did Lumbering Troll yell at you?

No I was listening to multiple people get yelled at yesterday who had just started. That's not a good way to get people to want to play this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Drythe posted:

No I was listening to multiple people get yelled at yesterday who had just started. That's not a good way to get people to want to play this.

Someone should probably step up to those people then. Someone who takes issue with it. And lol if anyone thinks that is going to be troll.

Also in the other mumble channel, troll goes in there every so often and we give him bad information that he then takes up to the main channel.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 4, 2020

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I wasn't around yesterday so I can't speak for anything that went down but if you have specific questions people are usually happy to answer. If you have overarching questions like "what are nodes" or "how do I use workers" then that itself would take like five minutes to try to explain which is probably why you were directed to watch a video which would explain it and give you a visual. :confused:

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What's the twenty minute video you guys are talking about?

Edit: Or is it a twenty minute video per specific question which if then gently caress.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 4, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've seen a lot of players complain about the armor sets in-game and that the only time you really look any different between level 1 and level 50 is if you buy one of the $30 costumes from the cash shop. Is there any truth to this?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I've seen a lot of players complain about the armor sets in-game and that the only time you really look any different between level 1 and level 50 is if you buy one of the $30 costumes from the cash shop. Is there any truth to this?

Unfortunately yes. Most of your armor upgrades are very incremental aesthetically - you know all those samey-looking outfits you can preview when making a character? Yeah. That's generally it. Compared to other games where you can generally get something completely new every ten levels it's disappointing and for me one of the most annoying things about BDO.

There's a really intense dye system but currently it's also locked behind a cash shop so that's not really helpful either.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Most of the current BDO guides that are still being passed around were made from an English patched Korean client or early NA CBT. The combat, leveling, and gearing guides seem pretty decent, but many of the guides covering professions only give you the broadstrokes at best and have a lot of misleading or flat out incorrect information.

Asking people is the best way to get relevant information. The game's just way too complex and involved to make a complete guide without it being TLDR to the extreme.

OP is still worth a glance over though for server info and basic stuff like "what is node?"

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

:smithicide:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You could spend an hour watching videos that might answer your specific question,

or maybe just ask it because :wtc:

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I played the beta and liked it but I've been trying to purchase the $30 version and when I get to the page before payment and click next I get an internal server error page instead. :(

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Jackard posted:

You could spend an hour watching videos that might answer your specific question,

or maybe just ask it because :wtc:

And when they ask we tell them to read the op because we've explained it 5 times this hour already to some people who don't even want to listen and end up asking again.

If it is something simple like how do stones work or is something worth something fine but I'm not explaining everything about nodes and crafting.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
haha loving millennials asking questions about games amiright

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

lmbo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If you're new and have questions, just catch me on Mumble, we'll move channels if we have to. I watched probably 12 hours of videos, and read that entire stupid huge guide, and still asked dumb questions, so if I can save you some pain I'll be glad to. Or just send me a PM here but I prefer mumble because typing. I think some people get worn out answering the same questions over and over and over so they get snappy, but I do exactly that at work all day so I couldn't care less.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

And when they ask we tell them to read the op because we've explained it 5 times this hour already to some people who don't even want to listen and end up asking again.

If it is something simple like how do stones work or is something worth something fine but I'm not explaining everything about nodes and crafting.

Like I said, don't play this if you don't want to read pages of guides and watch videos first. There's a lot of complicated systems and you will just be confused.

This isn't a game to put minimal effort in.

Clocks posted:

I wasn't around yesterday so I can't speak for anything that went down but if you have specific questions people are usually happy to answer. If you have overarching questions like "what are nodes" or "how do I use workers" then that itself would take like five minutes to try to explain which is probably why you were directed to watch a video which would explain it and give you a visual. :confused:

It gets worse as the night goes on, to the point a dude got chastised for not reading the OP of when the guild missions would be, when the OP was only updated thirty minutes prior with the times.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I... donno if everyone's gonna watch videos that start with "what's up poopers"

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

You will just have to close your eyes and steel yourself to make it past those 3 seconds. His guides are very good and reasonably up to date, which isn't easy to find with BDO stuff.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
He has a character on the screen that is a sonic OC.

I don't know if people can do it, man.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Grondoth posted:

I... donno if everyone's gonna watch videos that start with "what's up poopers"

I think he's saying boopers :shrug:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eltoasto posted:

You will just have to close your eyes and steel yourself to make it past those 3 seconds. His guides are very good and reasonably up to date, which isn't easy to find with BDO stuff.

Watch the first three seconds, the stimpire will be pleased.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Clocks posted:

There's a really intense dye system but currently it's also locked behind a cash shop so that's not really helpful either.

I read that in the Korean version the dyes are purchasable from vendors, I assume for silver, but does anyone know if they're reasonable or insanely expensive? On the off-chance Daum decides to activate them someday, I guess.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

advion posted:

I played the beta and liked it but I've been trying to purchase the $30 version and when I get to the page before payment and click next I get an internal server error page instead. :(

Tried it for the 50th time and it finally worked. Hooray!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

advion posted:

Tried it for the 50th time and it finally worked. Hooray!

I'm so sorry :(

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Some Sorceress tips

I am only level 30 but here's what I've found through the internet and my own playing. I have had no issues with any content but I do not know if this holds up for the elite 1%

Most useful skills so far:

Shards of Darkness (Q) - Gives you mana back and gives you AP. Use this all the loving time as soon as you see your shards are maxed. You generate shards so quick you can spam this poo poo for mana.

Rushing Crow (Forward + RMB) - This skill is a dash attack that has really good range while reducing their magic defense. Combo'd with Signs of Agony a lot

Signs of Agony (Backwards + E) - A DoT, Stuns, and gives you two shards of darkness.

Claws of Darkness (Backwards + LMB, Hold for Multiple attacks) - This skill hits really hard, make sure you hold the keys to do the full combo with it

Dark Flame (Backwards + LMB + RMB during Claws of Darkness) - Hits for a lot after already hitting them with Claws, and gives you forward guard during. At high levels it gets more hits and will end with a rushing crow (If you have rushing crow)

Night Crow (Shift + Direction, W + W for forward) - Teleports you in a direction. Needed for positionals and for a combo with Abyssal flame. This is one of the most important skills imo

Abyssal Flame (LMB + RMB) - A charge attack. At fully charged it does 3x the damage, heals you per hit, knocks down, and gets you two shards of darkness. This skill is fuckin baller

Shadow Eruption (Shift + F) - Hits a lot of targets for very good damage. Has a slight charge up animation. Can be combo'd with you dash attack

Dream of Doom (Shift + E) - A loving spirit bomb. This attack hits for 715% x3 at level one. It has a longish charge time, but usually if you night crow backwards you can charge it before the enemy gets to you.

Some Combos I've found and Made

Night Crow Backwards (Shift + S) --> Abyssal Flame (LMB + RMB)
So you see Abyssal Flame does a gently caress load of damage and other poo poo when you fully charge it. However you didn't pick sorceress to sit around charging attacks like a dumb rear end wizard, you want fast action and to tear poo poo up.
If you Night Crow backwards and then use Abyssal Flame during the animation, you will shoot out a fully charged Abyssal Flame when you get out of the teleport. This is loving awesome, do it all the time.

Dodge Attack (Left/Right + LMB) --> Shadow Eruption (Shift + F)
Remember how I said Shadow Eruption has a longish cast animation? Well you will never see it. If you dodge attack and then Shadow Erupt, you will skip the animation and just impale you enemies rear end in a top hat with shadow spikes.

Symbol of Pain (Backwards + E) --> Rushing Crow (Forwards + RMB)
This knocks you enemy on their rear end, places a dot, lowers their defense to you, and puts you right in their face. I use this as my opener for mostly everything

Symbol of Pain (Backwards + E) --> Rushing Crow (Forwards + RMB) --> Night Crow Backwards (Shift + S) --> Abyssal Flame (LMB + RMB) --> Night Crow Forwards (W + W) --> Dodge Attack (Left/Right + LMB) --> Dodge Attack (Left/Right + LMB) --> Shadow Eruption (Shift + F)
This is usually how the start of the fight goes for me. It will rush you into their face for the hit and knock them down, then you teleport back and hit them with your kamehameha, teleport back to them, dodge attack to their back (usually) and then hit them with some spikes. At that point you can do other things like some Claws of Darkness or kicks. When my beginning skills are off cooldown I'll usually use Darkness Released (Forward + F) To push them away and repeat the whole thing.

Hopefully this helps anyone who may be lost with Sorceress or wants to know what they might play like.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Okay after several hours I've come to the conclusion that this game isn't as bad as Archeage

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dark Flame is also good because you can do it while doing claws of darkness and it gives you a front block during.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Right, forgot that!