Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Snowy posted:

Anyone tried the new Discogs app yet?

It's literally the Milk Crate app but in gray and black.

I dunno if it's gonna crash like Milk Crate did but they didn't add anything to it other than their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
On the plus side you can scan url's if you're dealing with newer records. I guess it's nice to play with but doesn't replace the website at all.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Junior Kimbrough — I Gotta Try You Girl (Daft Punk Remixe)

what the gently caress? Junior Kimbrough owns but a Daft Punk remix of a blues song?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TubeStank posted:

Junior Kimbrough — I Gotta Try You Girl (Daft Punk Remixe)

what the gently caress? Junior Kimbrough owns but a Daft Punk remix of a blues song?

They should have just called this release "We Ran Out of Things to Pad the List With.".

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

The Senator Giroux posted:

It's literally the Milk Crate app but in gray and black.

I dunno if it's gonna crash like Milk Crate did but they didn't add anything to it other than their name.

It lets you sort records and use filters, which is an improvement.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

PSA to rap fans: Big L-LIFESTYLEZ OV DA POOR & DANGEROUS was repressed recently. Stumbled on it while browsing through my local (hip-hop themed/organized by region instead of genre/ it's awesome) store and snagged it immediately.

http://www.fatbeats.com/products/big-l-lifestylez-ov-da-poor-dangerous-2xlp

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Someone please talk me out of spending $220 a year for four records

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I'll jump in on this since I actually can now.

If anyone's ever in New Orleans, Euclid and Sisters In Christ are really great stores to buy poo poo from, especially the latter. Prices are mad low because the people believe in selling in volume or something like that. They don't have too much outside of post-punk and metal, but those Fielded and Mountain Goats albums were inexplicably purchased there.

I'm still holding out on finding Scott, Scott 2 and The Drift at a decent price. I'd also like an explanation as to why Cop is always expensive.

An aside: That James White and the Blacks album is laughably terrible and now I know why it was only $4.

A human heart posted:

record collecting is only expensive if you're like most of the posters in this thread who buy contemporary stoner doom records new

This is from way back, but this is both true and frustratingly false at the same time. If you have particular taste, almost everything that you like is expensive on vinyl. I can't find a (good) Current 93 album for less than $60-100. Even poo poo that not many people raved about like The Caretaker's "An Empty Bliss Beyond This World" is selling for over $200 today.

But you can buy Thick as a Brick for pennies right now, so give and take.

MNSNTZR fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 4, 2016

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Music on Vinyl released Static-X's Shadow Zone. The limited edition vinyl is a pretty cool green one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MNSNTZR posted:

I'll jump in on this since I actually can now.

If anyone's ever in New Orleans, Euclid and Sisters In Christ are really great stores to buy poo poo from, especially the latter. Prices are mad low because the people believe in selling in volume or something like that. They don't have too much outside of post-punk and metal, but those Fielded and Mountain Goats albums were inexplicably purchased there.

I'm still holding out on finding Scott, Scott 2 and The Drift at a decent price. I'd also like an explanation as to why Cop is always expensive.

An aside: That James White and the Blacks album is laughably terrible and now I know why it was only $4.

This is from way back, but this is both true and frustratingly false at the same time. If you have particular taste, almost everything that you like is expensive on vinyl. I can't find a (good) Current 93 album for less than $60-100. Even poo poo that not many people raved about like The Caretaker's "An Empty Bliss Beyond This World" is selling for over $200 today.

But you can buy Thick as a Brick for pennies right now, so give and take.

Are those Scott Walker albums old pressings or reissues?

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Are those Scott Walker albums old pressings or reissues?

Tilt is old, if you can call it that. 3 and 4 are 4 Men reissues. I've got really bum luck with finding older pressings of Scott's stuff. There's an original of Scott 2 with that cool artwork hovering around Ebay for $30 but I have a hard time justifying buying it since I'd only buy that particular album for completionist purposes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MNSNTZR posted:

Tilt is old, if you can call it that. 3 and 4 are 4 Men reissues. I've got really bum luck with finding older pressings of Scott's stuff. There's an original of Scott 2 with that cool artwork hovering around Ebay for $30 but I have a hard time justifying buying it since I'd only buy that particular album for completionist purposes.

Original pressings are hard to find in general. I've never seen any in the wild.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That Renaldo and the Loaf is loving dope.

EDIT: I also regret not picking up that Nite Flights reissue from a couple years back even though all you're gonna listen to is side 1 anyway.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Pingiivi posted:

Music on Vinyl released Static-X's Shadow Zone. The limited edition vinyl is a pretty cool green one.

I was going to say that's an odd choice over Wisconsin Death Trip or Machine but I looked and they put those out too.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

I'm going to beat up every person who said that records are as cheap as CDs.

caligulamprey posted:

I also regret not picking up that Nite Flights reissue from a couple years back even though all you're gonna listen to is side 1 anyway.

The chronicle of Scott Walker's descent into madness involves hard, seemingly useless purchases. Saying that, I was almost a little disappointed that Climate of Hunter was hard to come across in the wild. I respect it in the sense that it was probably the most offputting releases of his that didn't feel like a bad decision to make and/or listen to, a la Bisch Bosch and Soused.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MNSNTZR posted:

I'm going to beat up every person who said that records are as cheap as CDs.

I guess you have nobody to beat up?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I personally got (back) into vinyl because there were tons of cheap 7"s flying around punk shows when I was a kid in the 90s. It doesn't have to be this way!

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I personally got (back) into vinyl because there were tons of cheap 7"s flying around punk shows when I was a kid in the 90s. It doesn't have to be this way!

It must be this way. More than a handful of albums I'd die to have cost more than my rent, and I live in an area where digging through the free/dollar bins is a fool's errand. Other than that one Redd Foxx album I found once.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

EL BROMANCE posted:

Now ~$10 seems to be the default price for most of 'em, despite the fact that they don't really sell these days. Thanks Jack White!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Still seems wild to me you can buy Deathconsciousness in stores... I remember before I understood the obscurity of Internet bands and calling record stores asking if they has the CD in stock.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
rare, highly sought after items are expensive? say it ain't so

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Dubstep Jesus posted:

rare, highly sought after items are expensive? say it ain't so

The first pressing of Kreng's "Grimoire" had 100 less copies than &&&&& and sells for no more than $40 today. Apples and oranges, but Grimoire's a cooler album too. &&&&& wouldn't be that expensive without Arca eventually being involved with Kanye, especially considering how weak his output has been lately.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Saw Animal Collective last night and it was good stuff.

Have some download codes for their EP/LP Fall Be Kind and Feels :)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'm seeing them on Monday. Do they have a bunch of their records for sale? I remember when MPP came out and pretty much sold out immediately. I still haven't got a copy of it. There weren't any copies of Painting With either at the two records I went to when it came out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

WASDF posted:

Saw Animal Collective last night and it was good stuff.

Have some download codes for their EP/LP Fall Be Kind and Feels :)

I snagged these. Thanks!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

I'm seeing them on Monday. Do they have a bunch of their records for sale? I remember when MPP came out and pretty much sold out immediately. I still haven't got a copy of it. There weren't any copies of Painting With either at the two records I went to when it came out.

No MPP at all (in the set list either except for Daily Routine) but they had Feels, Fall Be Kind, CHz and Painting With...

Was a good show, hope your crowd is as fun as mine was.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 5, 2016

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw Wrekmeister Harmonies and Bell Witch last night. Grabbed a couple LPs.

Wrekmeister Harmonies - Then It All Came Down.

Bell Witch - Longing.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Does anyone else go through their collection after a while and weed out non-essentials and sell them? I've done this twice this year and probably got rid of 30 something records that I liked but don't love or just sort of impulse bought.

Feels good to let go of some records I bought just to be sort of completionist with some artists discogs. Seeya later Phil Elverum!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need a copy of Feels and I'm gonna get a copy at the show tonight.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

WASDF posted:

Does anyone else go through their collection after a while and weed out non-essentials and sell them? I've done this twice this year and probably got rid of 30 something records that I liked but don't love or just sort of impulse bought.

Feels good to let go of some records I bought just to be sort of completionist with some artists discogs. Seeya later Phil Elverum!!

Yeah or I would run out of space. Records are for playing; I have hard drives to put music I'll listen to once or never on.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dogen posted:

Yeah or I would run out of space. Records are for playing; I have hard drives to put music I'll listen to once or never on.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Among split inse, sleeves that don't fit into the jacket, ring-wear, any dumb cosmetic or "functional" issue I have with records billowy 2xLP jackets are by far the most annoying thing to me and this is the worst example I've encountered. This is a very relaxed grip on the jacket. Does anyone know how this can be fixed/reduced? Truly unsightly.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 6, 2016

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw Wrekmeister Harmonies and Bell Witch last night. Grabbed a couple LPs.

nice, bell witch is really good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

WASDF posted:

Among split inse, sleeves that don't fit into the jacket, ring-wear, any dumb cosmetic or "functional" issue I have with records billowy 2xLP jackets are by far the most annoying thing to me and this is the worst example I've encountered. This is a very relaxed grip on the jacket. Does anyone know how this can be fixed/reduced? Truly unsightly.

Looks like just a lovely repress, or maybe it got warped in the back of a tour van. It might help if you don't keep the records inside the sleeve.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

stay depressed posted:

nice, bell witch is really good.

Yeah, but unfortunately something went wrong somewhere on the bassist's gigantic pedal board and they had to cut the show short. It was a really good show overall, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Put it in a plastic sleeve.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

More reasons to think RSD is dispicable.

http://pitchfork.com/news/63979-david-bowie-reissues-announced-for-record-store-day/

Although, they're just the first to exploit Bowie's death in a big way. If it weren't for RSD, it'd be for something else.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

WASDF posted:

More reasons to think RSD is dispicable.

http://pitchfork.com/news/63979-david-bowie-reissues-announced-for-record-store-day/

Although, they're just the first to exploit Bowie's death in a big way. If it weren't for RSD, it'd be for something else.
I believe there has been at least one Bowie picture disc for nearly every RSD so far.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheesus posted:

I believe there has been at least one Bowie picture disc for nearly every RSD so far.

That sounds about right. I don't see any reason to be outraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It's just a really scummy seeming act. I doubt "RSD' requisitoned the picture discs, but I can imagine they were slapped together real quick, had some dude graphic design up some unique but iconic Bowie pop-art and press these juust in time for RSD season. Plus, are really any of these records too hard to find among their pressings?

Again, bound to happen eventually, but my favorite physical musical memorabilia enemy made the first move so I'm taking my HAHAs when I can get them. But I was under the impression there were more than just these two so maybe not so bad.