Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A Curvy Goonette posted:

kinda. that may be pretty spicy so you could drop them to regular larges and add some mediums/medium pulses into the mix. maybe some lpls. you also want to maximize your heatsinks and jumpjets when at all possible

yeah four's probably the limit for ER Larges. thanks yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

yeah four's probably the limit for ER Larges. thanks yo

I have always liked the hopper for its speed and jump jets, the last quirk pass made it a bit more durable. One of them gets 15% heat reduction on energy which is nice but I still play the money one because money one. Common builds I see are 3 LPL 4 ML. No idea on engine but its similar to BK except it trades a bit of tankiness for more maneuverability.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So I have the Founder's Atlas, and the S variant that the dudes with premium got. The dudes I played with tonight said that I might as well pick up a 3rd chassis. Which one should it be?

And then I will pick up a Stormcrow or Timberwolf because those are fun.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Artificer posted:

So I have the Founder's Atlas, and the S variant that the dudes with premium got. The dudes I played with tonight said that I might as well pick up a 3rd chassis. Which one should it be?

And then I will pick up a Stormcrow or Timberwolf because those are fun.

definitely D-DC

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
seconding this ecm atlas is boss

I have cracked open many a king crab with my ghost dad

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Whelp, had a few people on my team just slaughter us. They said they are getting banned for cheating so what else is PGI going to do to them for TKing........

Great job PGI, Great Job.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Man, I've just elited Firestarters and the 8SPL one is super extra fun now.

Just needs a radar dep module.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Whelp, had a few people on my team just slaughter us. They said they are getting banned for cheating so what else is PGI going to do to them for TKing........

Boy are they gonna feel silly later

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I picked up an eight medium laser hunchback. It's stupid fun. Walk towards the nearest red thing, dump 80 damage into their torso in about 5 seconds, walk towards the next red thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pattonesque posted:

All warfare is class brand warfare

Aff :v:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Raged posted:

Ah, ha! Now the cheaters have begun to identify themselves! The plan is working!

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i wouldn't be surprised if PGI just goes about temp banning any player with half decent stats who has been reported multiple times during the past few months and since it's a game of numbers, a small percentage of those caught in the ban wave will be guilty. this might explain why the company is both backing away from name shaming and perm banning cheaters. i have very little faith at this point that PGI will properly do their jobs, especially after all the poo poo Russ said.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Have some extra MC, is the Misery worth it?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Stringbean posted:

Do you like walking really slow, torso twisting, and delivering 40 damage pinpoint alphas from close range?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Stringbean posted:

Metamechs dude says it is his favorite for grinding cbills.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

teepo posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if PGI just goes about temp banning any player with half decent stats who has been reported multiple times during the past few months and since it's a game of numbers, a small percentage of those caught in the ban wave will be guilty. this might explain why the company is both backing away from name shaming and perm banning cheaters. i have very little faith at this point that PGI will properly do their jobs, especially after all the poo poo Russ said.

It's still a treat to compare his words on cheaters in the January townhall to the February one. In January it was really aggressive, "if you're cheating we're going to get you, and we know folks in well-known units are doing it, too. And hell, we might even call you out on it with a name and shame."

Then the February one comes around and it's like someone completely neutered him. It's this really demure "honestly, only a few people are doing it. We'll probably only do a handful at a time...probably not even name them."

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Metamechs guy runs around with dual PPC and an ac20. So while he has some long game, his short range has to rely on a slow AC20... Hmmm

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Meta mechs doesn't always update builds and guides as weapon balance changes. The misery may be better off with two lpl and an ac20 now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Meta mechs doesn't always update builds and guides as weapon balance changes. The misery may be better off with two lpl and an ac20 now.

If you're going to rock that build, I think a Marauder would do it better.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I nabbed it. Slapped an AC20, a SRM6 and 5 MLas.

Ac20 and SRM6 on one weapon group
The MLas on the other.

32.9 damage on one click
25 on the other click

Seems decent for a brawler.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A single srm6 doesn't seem worth the tonnage IMO. I'd drop it and bring more heat sinks or a bigger engine. Or upgrade the MLs to MPLs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A misery could also do 3 LPL and an AC/10. More damage than AC/20, 2 LPL, and a good bit more effective range, too.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Finding out fast that I am extremely out of practice with Assaults.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Great Beer posted:

A single srm6 doesn't seem worth the tonnage IMO. I'd drop it and bring more heat sinks or a bigger engine. Or upgrade the MLs to MPLs.

This is only true if mounting the SRM6 requires you to manage additional fire groups or otherwise inconveniences you. But since the cooldown and range links up with the AC/20, it's perfectly fine as-is.

Although -- where the hell is the tonnage going? I just threw up a Misery in metamechs to screw around with the build and with the max STD engine, Endo-Steel, DHS, and artemis I had 3 tons left when I ran out of space for more heatsinks. Even filling the last two slots with ammo left me with a full ton free that I couldn't use. Upgrading some or all of the MLs to MPLs is practically required, and at that point you might as well tweak it a little bit so as to be able to upgrade them all.

If you use a STD 300 engine, throw on an SRM6+A (+2 tons ammo), AC/20 (+3.5 tons ammo), and 6 heatsinks, you can run 5 MPL instead of the 5 ML. Then, when things get hot, you just lay off the lasers and keep firing the AC/20 + SRM6 until you've got enough buffer to throw the lasers in as well. Your AC20 / SRM6, when fired continuously, will sink heat faster than you generate it even without elite unlocks, and when you're not firing lasers you can torso twist like a madman in between shots.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Olesh posted:

This is only true if mounting the SRM6 requires you to manage additional fire groups or otherwise inconveniences you. But since the cooldown and range links up with the AC/20, it's perfectly fine as-is.

Although -- where the hell is the tonnage going? I just threw up a Misery in metamechs to screw around with the build and with the max STD engine, Endo-Steel, DHS, and artemis I had 3 tons left when I ran out of space for more heatsinks. Even filling the last two slots with ammo left me with a full ton free that I couldn't use. Upgrading some or all of the MLs to MPLs is practically required, and at that point you might as well tweak it a little bit so as to be able to upgrade them all.

If you use a STD 300 engine, throw on an SRM6+A (+2 tons ammo), AC/20 (+3.5 tons ammo), and 6 heatsinks, you can run 5 MPL instead of the 5 ML. Then, when things get hot, you just lay off the lasers and keep firing the AC/20 + SRM6 until you've got enough buffer to throw the lasers in as well. Your AC20 / SRM6, when fired continuously, will sink heat faster than you generate it even without elite unlocks, and when you're not firing lasers you can torso twist like a madman in between shots.

Stalkers aren't very good at torso twisting though, they are good at delivering up front damage and while I have never owned the Misery the others have great high hardpoints for hill poking with lasers.

Basically the Brawler Stalker is kind of like the Dad except it trades tankiness for damage output. Its not really optimal for its tonnage though and I think the laser vomit Stalkers are better since it can fire and back off, and ofc you don't want to be in the back. Stalkers are built for being slightly behind dad and focusing what is shooting dad and making them dead quick.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

TeeMerk posted:

Stalkers aren't very good at torso twisting though, they are good at delivering up front damage and while I have never owned the Misery the others have great high hardpoints for hill poking with lasers.

Basically the Brawler Stalker is kind of like the Dad except it trades tankiness for damage output. Its not really optimal for its tonnage though and I think the laser vomit Stalkers are better since it can fire and back off, and ofc you don't want to be in the back. Stalkers are built for being slightly behind dad and focusing what is shooting dad and making them dead quick.

Misery isn't really good at brawling. It works out much better with the standard Stalker peek and poke bullshit - the metamechs AC/20 + 2xPPC build actually works decently well so long as you can hit CT consistently. LPL is a little more forgiving on the aim and a little bit better in a stand up fight but leaves you more vulnerable to return fire. But if someone really wanted to brawl with a Misery, they'd need to rely on the AC/20 + SRM6A to keep heat-efficient damage going out since you have to be judicious with the trigger on the medium pulses.

You can do it, mind you, it's just that the 5M does it pretty much better in every way. Trading a ballistic hardpoint for four missile hardpoints is an easy trade any day of the week, and SRMs are way better DPS per ton. It also moves, turns and twists faster. Even the 3F is better at it than the Misery, and the 3F is basically just an inferior 3M that has a little better torso twist angle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Olesh posted:

Misery isn't really good at brawling. It works out much better with the standard Stalker peek and poke bullshit - the metamechs AC/20 + 2xPPC build actually works decently well so long as you can hit CT consistently. LPL is a little more forgiving on the aim and a little bit better in a stand up fight but leaves you more vulnerable to return fire. But if someone really wanted to brawl with a Misery, they'd need to rely on the AC/20 + SRM6A to keep heat-efficient damage going out since you have to be judicious with the trigger on the medium pulses.

You can do it, mind you, it's just that the 5M does it pretty much better in every way. Trading a ballistic hardpoint for four missile hardpoints is an easy trade any day of the week, and SRMs are way better DPS per ton. It also moves, turns and twists faster. Even the 3F is better at it than the Misery, and the 3F is basically just an inferior 3M that has a little better torso twist angle.

This kind of thing really tells you how high alpha damage has gotten in the game. Misery used to be the best because of it's huge alpha potential, but now it's just "meh".

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Washout posted:

This kind of thing really tells you how high alpha damage has gotten in the game. Misery used to be the best because of it's huge alpha potential, but now it's just "meh".

The SRM buff has a lot to do with it; without SRMs your options are limited to boating a ton of lasers (which is unsustainable heat-wise) and/or ballistics, which are both tonnage and crit-intensive.

I seriously wish PGI would go to the trouble to put in the kind of data collection they would need to generate actual usable data and metrics for weapon balance purposes. Regular small positive adjustments to underused (and by extrapolation, underperforming) weapons based on long-term usage data would do a lot to mitigate the fear of their random balance pass quirks making the game unfun again.

It really feels like pure chance that they lucked into SRM usability buffs being a magic bullet into making the game fun enough to play; likewise the flamer revamp shows that even when they make a good decision, they can overreact horribly to a mostly non-problem based on user feelings rather than anything resembling performance data.

Edit:
It also bears mentioning alongside the really high alphas how goddamn frail any mech without structure quirks feels - after dozens of games in the Oxide, every time I take a Jenner IIC out it feels like it blows up in a stiff breeze. They could mitigate the alpha problem quite a bit while also providing a soft buff to LBX and other critseeking weapons by upping structure values across the board.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 6, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I tried the dual PPC/AC20 build on the misery and I actually kinda liked it. If the Misery had two ballistics instead of one, it would have been a lot more fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Holy poo poo a whole weekend of trying to work out why half my keyboard was disabled in the login/mechlab and I couldn't control my mech in any way in-game and I discover that it's because I have an xbox controller plugged into my computer.

Well done :pgi:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Holy poo poo a whole weekend of trying to work out why half my keyboard was disabled in the login/mechlab and I couldn't control my mech in any way in-game and I discover that it's because I have an xbox controller plugged into my computer.

I have one plugged in and that never happened to me.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Washout posted:

The problem with stalkers is that they are generally too slow and too awkward to get into brawling range before getting chewed up. Unless you have pretty significant cover between you and your target they'll eat you alive.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Same, but with a joystick. Bug since beta, lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The problem with stalkers is that they are generally too slow and too awkward to get into brawling range before getting chewed up. Unless you have pretty significant cover between you and your target they'll eat you alive.

LoL at the idea of goons choosing to engage outside of 270 meters

Alchenar posted:

When my xbox fight stick is plugged in, the sound in Mumble is completely disabled for me. I think that's an xbox controller driver problem, not a :pgi: problem.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
having a set of flight pedals plugged in would send my mech into a constant right turn. no, they were not bound in any way in the game

:pgi:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, having my 360 gamepad plugged in would gently caress up other games for me in a variety of ways, and on my old AMD chipset PC, would even prevent my OS from booting.

I can't really blame :pgi: for that.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I have a Misery, 4N, and 5M. The 5M is a better brawler and the 4N is a better (ER)LL boat. The Misery's only real selling point is the ballistics mount, and honestly it doesn't feel super-worthwhile to me. The AC/20 is almost the only ballistic weapon that's worth using singly, and without any range or cooldown quirks it's a little lackluster as a main weapon. I've had the most success using Misery as an unexciting but reasonably effective 4 x LPL platform, and really the 5S would be better for that. The only reason the Misery is kind of decent that way is because LPLs are just a good weapon.

A.o.D. posted:

A misery could also do 3 LPL and an AC/10. More damage than AC/20, 2 LPL, and a good bit more effective range, too.

I've been planning to try exactly this. I would rather have the alpha of the AC/20 over the cooldown of the 10, but the range matches up with the LPLs better. It becomes less peeky, a little more of a midrange DPS build that you want to use as a flanker or second-line fighter, setting up for extended facetime when possible without becoming a primary target.

TeeMerk posted:

I don't know about this, their CT is a very thin strip and it's pretty easy to soak hits into your STs. I almost always lose one or both sides before going down. You can even zombie it up with the Misery or 5M. The arms don't shield for poo poo though, unfortunately.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Finally got enough cbills to get another Timber Wolf thanks to the premium weekend. Got an S variant and made it a brawler.

Good lord brawling is fun :stare: 800+ damage a match, ripping mechs apart or dying gloriously in a huge furball (or dying ingloriously by wading into the main enemy push trying to shore up my teams flank.)

Glad I've managed to get in before :pgi: happens.

Kinda wish I could sell my freebie Centurion but brawlings fun enough that I figured 'ehn, might as well make it a medium brawler for cbill grinds since my muromets kinda sucks.'

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Is somone on that can invite me into WoL? IGN is Darthzeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I do not enjoy the Atlas much at all. At least not a brawler build. The lack of range with the AC/20 and the SRMs are just murder. They do a lot of damage when you can get close but so many popular maps that pubbies pick have so many long sightlines that closing the distance is suicide. :(

• Locked thread