Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I did! Posted about it in the other thread but forgot to cross post it here. Only my own opinion, and would like to hear what other people think.

RoboCicero posted:

I recently read This Census Taker (wasn't it 'The Census Taker' a while ago?) and quite enjoyed it, even if it's not in the same vein as many of his other books. If Mieville is trying to write a book in a different genre each time, he's certainly succeeding. A slower, more unresolved story about a boy who lives on a mountain with his father that focuses on atmosphere more than it does on concrete explanations. I enjoyed how everything in the world is just slightly askew, from the fact the narrator tells us the book isn't written in his first language, to how the seasons are named differently, to the fact that when you hear guns in the distance there is a sound for hunting, and a sound for killing.

There's some marvelously creepy stuff that goes on in there, but a lot of it is going to end up unexplained and never quite crosses over from unsettling. There's enough to give you some worrying vibes about the eponymous character especially given that Drobe seems to have previously been in contact with the previous assistant, the father's fury and fear considering that all of them should have been deactivated, and, of course, The Hope Is So: Count Entire Nations. Subsume Under Sets. Take Accounts. Keep Estimates. Realize Interests. So. but it's a short book, and none of it is developed too much further.

It's kind of a shame! I'm still looking forwards to The Last Days of New Paris, but even in Three Moments of an Explosion there were a lot of stories that seemed to stop before the ending and I feel it again here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: gently caress another new book for 3-7 year olds called The Worst Breakfast! October 4th this year!!

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/a-third-china-mieville-book-for-2016-its-a-picture-book/

Ew, Zak S

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

I did! Posted about it in the other thread but forgot to cross post it here. Only my own opinion, and would like to hear what other people think.

It was OK, but way too short.

When was the last time Mieville actually wrote a longer story?
Checked Wikipedia and it was Railsea 2012 which was pretty good, but hardly his best.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Warren Ellis recommended This Census Taker in his latest newsletter :

quote:

THIS CENSUS-TAKER is the new book by China Mieville. It's a novella, and I do like a novella. I've been saying for a few years that I think the novella is where the rich vein currently lies, and this book doesn't contradict me. It's a finely-tooled story of, in its most prosaic sense, a grim childhood in a post-(near)apocalypse landscape. It's also, in a way, a rumination on childhood fantasy, and also a consideration of the nature of power. The language is frequently eccentric, but never ever sloppy. Mieville doesn't do drunken reels -- every one of those steps is intended and exact. In other writers, it may come off as mannered, but Mieville gathers his tools for each book with extreme care. There's a fuzzy nature to much of it, in plot and motive and world, but to me it's the precise fuzzy nature of childhood memory: looking at the past through the thick, fogged glass of imperfect recall. To some degree, the book is about a world that's forgetting and the things that are remembered, too. Strongly recommended. I read the whole thing in a single sitting.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I just finished This Census Taker. I found it very enjoyable; it engrossed me the entire way.

I have several things I'd like to talk about. the first of which is the relationship between the eponymous census taker and his government. His previous trainee apparently left him because he was cooking the books. Her final catechism also indicates(?) her loyalty to the government above the census-taker. This jives with what the boy's father said about all the other census takers being recalled. So I was wondering whether this census taker might be some sort of rogue bureaucrat with his own mission--which he is clearly very dedicated to, risking his life by going down into the hole.

I also assume that the gunshots the boy heard were the census taker killing Droge and/or the previous trainee; isn't it described as a pair of blasts, like those that would come from the census taker's peculiar weapon?

Any one have ideas about :
1. What the shifts in the person of the narration indicate (especially with regards to the chapter written in the present which discusses that verbatim, and also that the current manuscript contains portions of his predecessor's work)
2. Who was the first census-taker the boy encounters when he flees the house for the second time
3. The fate of the goat. Poor goat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I read Census-Taker as well, took me a while to get around to it. I'll have more to say once I gather my thoughts for a blog post, but first of all:

So apparently The Last Days of New Paris is illustrated! (not my image)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So here's that long-ish blog post I've been working on. It's a disjointed kinda argument in which I ask the question, Is This-Census Taker set in Bas-Lag?

Believe it or not there are a bunch of clues that point to the possibility!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Hedrigall posted:

I read Census-Taker as well, took me a while to get around to it. I'll have more to say once I gather my thoughts for a blog post, but first of all:

So apparently The Last Days of New Paris is illustrated! (not my image)

That's a Max Ernst painting

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Deltron 3030 posted:

. Collingswood is probably my favorite character so far. "What do you know about making big poo poo little?" :cop:

Don't you mean kollywood?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

(Re)Posting this here, because things have been dead and I agree about 80-85% on these depictions. Iron Council could have just been about that one Remade. :hellyeah:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Railsea is a lot of fun. Is it Shroake a'clock? Not yet because holy poo poo Sham just got kidnapped by pirates! Lets read about that instead!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SaviourX posted:

(Re)Posting this here, because things have been dead and I agree about 80-85% on these depictions. Iron Council could have just been about that one Remade. :hellyeah:

Two of my favourite Mieville fan arts :

http://fav.me/d427g7g

http://fav.me/d1kjmyp

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Khepri are so gross

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Why is the first pic numbered 11-24, is there more?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Khepri are so gross

They don't make a heck of a lot of sense either but hey.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I reread Kraken recently and it's truly a very bad, overly long, poorly paced, and embarrassingly self indulgent book with a brilliant ending.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Turdis McWordis posted:

I reread Kraken recently and it's truly a very bad, overly long, poorly paced, and embarrassingly self indulgent book with a brilliant ending.

What makes a book self indulgent? I've always wondered. Or rather, how could a book not be self indulgent?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mallamp posted:

Why is the first pic numbered 11-24, is there more?

There are. They are illustrations from the Dragon issue that was dedicated to Bas-Lag.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Turdis McWordis posted:

I reread Kraken recently

"Turdis McWordis" Uhhh... huh.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Khepri are so engrossing

Fixed that up for ya.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Turdis McWordis posted:

Sell me on "brilliant ending" because I was with you up till there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

"Turdis McWordis" Uhhh... huh.
It's a joke from the Rothfuss thread.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Well, in that case, he sure is, and also Kraken is bad in the way that TCandTC is, which is to say, both written in haste aping other novels, but with that supercilious Mieville charm.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Well, in that case, he sure is, and also Kraken is bad in the way that TCandTC is, which is to say, both written in haste aping other novels, but with that supercilious Mieville charm.

What novel does TC&TC ape?

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sell me on "brilliant ending" because I was with you up till there.

After the interminable nonsense that led up to it, I actually really liked the bad guy(s) plot(s) and how they fit in the metaphor-made-real magic :airquote: system. :airquote:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

What novel does TC&TC ape?

Not any specific one:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/oct/26/crimes-grand-tour-european-detective-fiction

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dang I just finished Kraken and start tc&tc hoping it was going to be better, ohhh well. Was pretty disappointed with Kraken after Embassytown.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Reason posted:

Dang I just finished Kraken and start tc&tc hoping it was going to be better, ohhh well. Was pretty disappointed with Kraken after Embassytown.

I like TC&TC a lot more than Kraken for what it's worth.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Reason posted:

I enjoyed TC&TC, but not as much as Embassytown or Railsea. I haven't read Kraken.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Reason posted:

In fairness Embassytown is by far the best thing he's written, almost anything would be a letdown after that.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, Embassytown is a classic, up there with Dune and stuff, IMO. Although I removed it from my must read fic list on Goodreads because it kept drawing silly recommendations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Have people here not heard of genre?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm going through China Mieville's back catalogue, plugging up my gaps and I started with King Rat.

Well, uh, it's certainly his freshman novel all right. I dunno, it pretty much read like a grittier Neil Gaiman book, who I'm no huge fan of in the first place. It's missing Mieville's signature weirdness and wild imagination, and the characters are all pretty dull and one-dimensional. While Kraken is also considered one of his weaker works, it definitely made for a more exciting take of his supernatural London. Also, was I the only one who felt faintly embarrassed with the D&B motif? I'll say this much; PSS is an impressive jump in scope and quality considering it only came out a year later.

Anyway, next up is The City & the City which I'm excited to get into, despite knowing the big twist.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Anyway, next up is The City & the City which I'm excited to get into, despite knowing the big twist.

I don't think that will take away from your enjoyment very much, it's only a twist in the sense that you're expecting there to be some typical CM weirdness going on and it turns out that it's just the fruit of good old totalitarian craziness. It's also addressed halfway through the book, it's no "The Sixth Sense" reveal that changes your perspective on everything.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, neat. Somehow that's the only spoiler I know too, I know next to nothing about the book otherwise.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Mordja posted:

Also, was I the only one who felt faintly embarrassed with the D&B motif?

Not the only one. I thought it was cheesy in general, but the way it was used in the big climactic dance made my roll my eyes so hard they about fell out of my head.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
First review of The Last Days of New Paris:

http://publishersweekly.com/978-0-345-54399-8

Publishers Weekly posted:

Miéville (This Census-Taker) takes on the surrealists in this gritty and erudite fantasy. In 1941, a surrealist bomb exploded in Nazi-occupied Paris, unleashing thousands of manifs—physical manifestations of images taken from surrealist paintings. Some were merely whimsical; others were terrifying and dangerous. Now it’s 1950 and New Paris, as it’s called, is the epicenter of the continuing war. The chaotic city is fought over by Nazis and Parisians, both sides constantly bedeviled by the chaotic manifs. Worse still, the Nazis have made contact with hell and unleashed demons to aid their villainy. Thibault, a soldier in the surrealist cause, fights the Germans using the powers of chaos while attempting to monitor the manifs. While patrolling the city, he observes a manifestation of Carrington’s famous Amateur of Velocipedes and meets Sam, a woman with the unusual plan of photographing all of surrealist New Paris, despite the danger. Thibault soon discovers that Sam is someone much more powerful and dangerous than she seems. Knowledge of surrealist art is not necessary to enjoy this odd, action-filled tale, but it helps. An appendix explains the sources of the dozens of manifs mentioned in the story.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

Worse still, the Nazis have made contact with hell and unleashed demons to aid their villainy.

It's a Bas-Lag prequel :swoon:

(I'm sure it's not but it'll be awesome to see Hell as political entity explored once more.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Another review:
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/china-mieville/the-last-days-of-new-paris/

Not entirely a positive one, sadly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to reading Perdido Street Station... not bad at all. Should I check out The Scar next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yes. The Scar is probably his best book in the Bas-Lag world.

Be warned, though; it is not a sequel to PSS and it does not follow up on that story.