Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Perry Normal posted:

Here's a helpful general rule. If you see a MASH re-run, does BJ have a mustache? If so, be wary. There were "drat this war" episodes before that point, and there are funny, madcap episodes after it, but that's really around the point where the switch is set to "maudlin" much more often. If BJ's lip is clear or, better yet, if Trapper is there, much better chances of a funny episode.

If BJ has a mustache then its almost guaranteed to be garbage. Honestly I have a hard time enjoying any of the post Blake/Trapper episodes as the comedy just loving spun into the sea of japan coincidentally.

Winchester was at least an interesting and well written character but this is meant to be a comedy drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I think you'll find that it's called the "East Sea", hth

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Perry Normal posted:

Here's a helpful general rule. If you see a MASH re-run, does BJ have a mustache? If so, be wary. There were "drat this war" episodes before that point, and there are funny, madcap episodes after it, but that's really around the point where the switch is set to "maudlin" much more often. If BJ's lip is clear or, better yet, if Trapper is there, much better chances of a funny episode.

Agreed, this and "never, ever watch the final episode, especially if you have PTSD about anything at all" are the only real MASH rules.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just the blooper reel from the holiday/sex scene alone would be amazing.

I'd also like to see TJ Miller commenting on what DP's face looks like. There's a few different ones in the trailers than made it to the movie, so I'm sure there's a good amount of extra ones.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Perry Normal posted:

I still like the later ones. Losing Radar was harsh though.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

TheKennedys posted:

Agreed, this and "never, ever watch the final episode, especially if you have PTSD about anything at all" are the only real MASH rules.

I'd say this also for the Battlestar Galactica reboot. If you watch the last episode hoping for all the plot threads to be neatly tied up and explanations of everything, you're out of luck.
It really seemed as if the writers were told, "Yeah, sorry, we're not having another season so just make something up to finish it all in one episode. It doesn't have to make any sort of sense. Then clear your desks."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stoatbringer posted:

I'd say this also for the Battlestar Galactica reboot. If you watch the last episode hoping for all the plot threads to be neatly tied up and explanations of everything, you're out of luck.
It really seemed as if the writers were told, "Yeah, sorry, we're not having another season so just make something up to finish it all in one episode. It doesn't have to make any sort of sense. Then clear your desks."

Maybe if you have bad story telling trauma.

The last couple BSG seasons are trash, but they won't trigger any war trauma. They're too lovely for that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
See, there are times I think I should get into Dr Who or Supernatural cause a lot of my friends like it, but then I have to really look them over about how fanatical they are about the show. And that does it.

Along the same lines an old friend flipped the gently caress out over DeathNote when it came to the US, and watched every episode and kept bothering me to get into it. She even bragged she learned Japanese from the subtitled version.

Breaking Bad ended excellently. Mad Men, not so much.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I have like a vicarious fascination with old school Dr. Who fans, the ones who try to piece together lost episodes from like audio recordings, production stills, Australian censored cuts, etc. It's such an amazing amount of work put into such a dumb thing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

See, there are times I think I should get into Dr Who or Supernatural cause a lot of my friends like it, but then I have to really look them over about how fanatical they are about the show. And that does it.

Supernatural is just The X-Files only with mythology instead of conspiracy theories and brotherly angst instead of sexual tension. If you liked the former then you'll like the latter, independent of how weird the fans are.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Cowslips Warren posted:

A little while back, I had almost decided to check out Dr Who. Then a friend on facebook posted a quote from the show, something along the lines of "Sad is happy for deep people." That quote is just the most :jerkbag: thing I've ever read, and I realized that yes, the show is guaranteed to be as insufferable as it's fans.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Supernatural is just The X-Files only with mythology instead of conspiracy theories and brotherly angst instead of sexual tension. If you liked the former then you'll like the latter, independent of how weird the fans are.

Not if you believe some of the nuttier fans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You literally aren't a real Dr. Who fan unless you've watched every episode since the 1950s.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You literally aren't a real Dr. Who fan unless you've watched every episode since the 1950s.

My niece has somehow been indoctrinated into the dr who cult. Her favorite doc is David Tennant. Other than that she's a very cool, athletic middle schooler.

My only hope is that most of her peers also have nerdlinger parents so she won't get ragged on for wearing ridiculous scarfs or dressing like a dalek for halloween.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
how about we all just let people like what they want to like and shut the gently caress up about it

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If people like what they like and shut the gently caress up about it, I don't think anyone would have a problem. It's when they bang on about it constantly and make out that they're defined by the fact they prefer David Tennant to Christopher Ecclestone that's annoying.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Scientastic posted:

If people like what they like and shut the gently caress up about it, I don't think anyone would have a problem. It's when they bang on about it constantly and make out that they're defined by the fact they prefer David Tennant to Christopher Ecclestone that's annoying.

agreed but sometimes the people bitching seem to lose sight of that and act like enjoying something is inherently bad

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

razorrozar posted:

enjoying anything is inherently bad

quite

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Eh! Frank posted:

A little while back, I had almost decided to check out Dr Who. Then a friend on facebook posted a quote from the show, something along the lines of "Sad is happy for deep people." That quote is just the most :jerkbag: thing I've ever read, and I realized that yes, the show is guaranteed to be as insufferable as it's fans.

As an insufferable Doctor Who nerd I can say that this is not actually a quote from the show. :colbert: Also it's really a pretty good show as long as you remember that it's a dumb show for nerds, and stay far, far away from anything remotely resembling "fandom". Of course, that applies to literally every show. Fandom ruins everything.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

My niece has somehow been indoctrinated into the dr who cult. Her favorite doc is David Tennant. Other than that she's a very cool, athletic middle schooler.

My only hope is that most of her peers also have nerdlinger parents so she won't get ragged on for wearing ridiculous scarfs or dressing like a dalek for halloween.

Implausible that her favorite doctor is the most recent one. I very much doubt she's seen all the episodes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Speaking of Eccleston though, BBC had a thing for the WW1 centennial where british actors recited war poems. They're really good recitals by the way. Anyway a bunch of rejects on Eccleston's version of Dulce & Decorum Est were like "omg its the doctor he was in ww1 haha amazing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

Thankfully those comments are no longer in the top.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't want to make a sweeping generalization but dr who is for gay babies

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Implausible that her favorite doctor is the most recent one. I very much doubt she's seen all the episodes.

Trap sprung, but Peter Capaldi's the newest, preceded by Matt goddamn Smith. My ex-sister in law made sure everyone knew this poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My thoughts when I wrote the post: "Is he still the newest doctor? I should write (if he is). No, no drat you! Let them see your lack of Dr Who knowledge. Let them expose your ignorance."

So yeah I just wrote that.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The last couple BSG seasons are trash, but they won't trigger any war trauma. They're too lovely for that.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting it would give you PTSD, just that it was a really terrible ending, best avoided if you enjoyed the series. :)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is Caprica any good?

Also is Caprica BSG or Stargate I can never remember

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

razorrozar posted:

Is Caprica any good?

It's Battlestar. No idea if it's any good though. Kinda doubt it to be honest. A spinoff of a spinoff?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's Battlestar. No idea if it's any good though. Kinda doubt it to be honest. A spinoff of a spinoff?

That was my kneejerk but Syfy has a p good track record with TV shows. Warehouse 13 and Eureka were extremely my poo poo.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

razorrozar posted:

Is Caprica any good?

Caprica was great for world building but the birth of the Cylons was weird to say the least.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Caprica rocked my balls straight off, but I watched it stoned off my rear end so your mileage may vary. It was also cancelled way too early like most good Sci-Fi channel shows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Biplane posted:

Caprica rocked my balls straight off, but I watched it stoned off my rear end so your mileage may vary. It was also cancelled way too early like most good Sci-Fi channel shows.

How is being cancelled a qualifier for or against? They got a season right? More than most.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

TheKennedys posted:

As an insufferable Doctor Who nerd I can say that this is not actually a quote from the show. :colbert:

IMDB says it's from the episode "Blink", though I didn't get the quote quite right:

quote:

Kathy Nightingale: What did you come here for anyway?

Sally Sparrow: I love old things. They make me feel sad.

Kathy Nightingale: What's good about sad?

Sally Sparrow: It's happy for deep people.
From here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/quotes

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

razorrozar posted:

Is Caprica any good?

I loved Caprica and then tried watching BSG and didn't like it at all because it wasn't anything at all like Caprica. Both excellent shows but very, very different genres so you might like one and hate the other. Also Caprica has the worst child actor in the entire history of child actors in it.

While I'm at it, here's what irritated me about Caprica, spoilered because it's a fairly late plot point:

No one in this highly-advanced society seems to have heard of procedural generation as a concept before, and when a character invents it they're hailed as a godlike genius who has unlocked an unimaginable power of creation. But as far as I can tell it's just procedural generation, nothing mysterious or godlike at all.

Organza Quiz has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Mar 6, 2016

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

razorrozar posted:

Is Caprica any good?

It's a BSG spin-off in the world only. In style and tone, it's completely different. Caprica was okay. I watched it, but I didn't miss it when it was gone.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I was watching Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday. In the scene where they unstick themselves from the mud and Max goes back to blow up the Bullet Farmers vehicle, he returns with a new steering wheel for the War Rig. Why would a vehicle with treads have a steering wheel? Any treaded vehicles I've ever seen have a handle for each side. I can't think of a way a steering wheel would be able to work on one. I guess if the treads on each side were split in two and the front two could turn together on an axle, but it was one solid tread on the Bullet Farmers car.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, it was converted from a car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ego-bot posted:

I was watching Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday. In the scene where they unstick themselves from the mud and Max goes back to blow up the Bullet Farmers vehicle, he returns with a new steering wheel for the War Rig. Why would a vehicle with treads have a steering wheel? Any treaded vehicles I've ever seen have a handle for each side. I can't think of a way a steering wheel would be able to work on one. I guess if the treads on each side were split in two and the front two could turn together on an axle, but it was one solid tread on the Bullet Farmers car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAhjJYUdUeM

Watch it for yourself, it clearly has a steering wheel. The tracks stop independently of each other when you turn the wheel. I'm guessing it doesn't have particularly brilliant maneuverability but it doesn't really need to.

1:15 is where it's shown properly, I don't know how to embed at a particular timestamp on SA.

Memento has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Mar 7, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

BrigadierSensible posted:

MASH to young me was all about how hilariously badly Alan Alda would lay on the "drat this filthy war!!!", and alternate it with wacky anti-authoritarian shenanigans.

Futurama even had a thing about it with the robot that had a switch between Maudlin and Vaudevillian.

I always loved that one hand was designed solely as a martini holder

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not just a holder, the martini glass is permanent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

Caprica was great for world building but the birth of the Cylons was weird to say the least.

The ending of the main series had me confused enough with the origins of cylons. I couldn't figure out how any of the S4 stuff was supposed to jive with the stuff from Caprica. That show got...weird.

Caprica probably would have done better if it wasn't attached to a franchise. It felt like it was made to be a totally standalone show and the network made them rework it to be a BSG prequel so it'd have a built-in audience.