Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Sorry for exercising my right to vote for someone other than one of the dirtiest people in politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

So you don't have anything to back that up with?

Care to back up the DNC making GBS threads on the youth? Because your dumb rear end posts already prove my point exactly.

Bonus round, this poo poo:

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's an integrity issue. People look at Bernie Sanders' record and see a relatively consistent, if somewhat lackluster adherence to a set of principals whose relevance is greater than ever. Clinton, on the other hand, has so obviously has twisted and turn whichever way voter opinion has taken her that her assertion that she stands for the same policies is fundamentally untrustworthy, to say nothing of the oceans of corporate money she bathes in.

edit: oooo double bonus round:

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, excuse me for not realizing you weren't defining 'not vote' normally, rather than 'not vote for Clinton'. I'm not voting for Clinton, regardless. Sorry that the only responses I get on my criticism of her resemble that of A Winner is Jew, above. It boggles the mind how party hacks will handwave such blatant corruption as 'just the way the system works'.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, excuse me for not realizing you weren't defining 'not vote' normally, rather than 'not vote for Clinton'. I'm not voting for Clinton, regardless. Sorry that the only responses I get on my criticism of her resemble that of A Winner is Jew, above. It boggles the mind how party hacks will handwave such blatant corruption as 'just the way the system works'.

Voting for the candidate who won the primary isn't corruption. Sorry about your meme preference though?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sorry for exercising my right to vote for someone other than one of the dirtiest people in politics?

You don't have a right to be grossly incorrect, dude.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

@Jarmak: Seriously. Do you have a factual objection to the portrayal of history by that quote?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I too will vote for whoever has an R next to their name in the general to spite people who are not as pure as us, fellow B.Bro.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is beautiful.

Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: *Did you order the Code Red?*
Col. Jessep: *You're Goddamn right I did!

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 5, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Why is a politician changing their stances on political issues to better reflect the attitudes of their constituents considered by so many to be a bad thing? Isn't that like exactly what they're supposed to do?

I thought republicans were the ones who voted for rigid ideologues.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

stinkles1112 posted:

Why is a politician changing their stances on political issues to better reflect the attitudes of their constituents considered by so many to be a bad thing? Isn't that like exactly what they're supposed to do?

Not an empty quote.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is why we rightfully shouldn't give a gently caress about the youth vote, besides the fact that this correctly shows how they are completely unreliable unless they get literally everything they want (and then still), I'd also rather not have our countries leadership decided by people who base their vote for president on "well gently caress you dad".

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

@Jarmak: Seriously. Do you have a factual objection to the portrayal of history by that quote?

what?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jarmak posted:

Care to back up the DNC making GBS threads on the youth? Because your dumb rear end posts already prove my point exactly.

Where did I talk about the DNC? Nice to see you don't have anything to back up your claims, though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously quit bitching about pandering and get out and vote and get other people your age to actually loving vote. It's like herding god drat cats. The reason there's a gently caress the young vote attitude is because young people are fickle and lazy and just don't vote. This has been true pretty much forever and will pretty much always be.
First off:

Chomp8645 posted:

You don't see how this sounds a hell of a lot like a self fulfilling prophecy?
And:

Boon posted:

I'm not exactly old (29), but I'm not college age anymore either. In my experience, it's not a matter of being lazy, but rather disinterested. It's hard for a young person to conceptualize how these overarching ideas directly impact them or their future because, to be perfectly honest, the worldview is so narrow. They just don't have the world experience or are only beginning to understand the world.

It's hard to connect the two.

Spatula City posted:

This is a failure of our education system. School is utterly failing to teach children civic engagement.
So much that ^

I'm 25, and have had the same experience back at college. Just about NO ONE in high school stressed the importance of voting. No teacher talked about current events in politics, nobody tried to make it interesting to hook us. People talk about voting being this civic duty and expect it to be innate that people will vote, instead of looking at it as a taught and learned value of the man made system of politics.

fishmech posted:

[...]gently caress you if you're a youth who refuses to vote, it's that simple.[...]

A Winner is Jew posted:

Why shouldn't the democratic party poo poo on the youth vote though?
[...]

Jarmak posted:

No it doesn't, since the youth vote considers not getting everything they want to be the same as getting poo poo on.

fishmech posted:

[...]you people are just being whiny pricks, upset that people rightfully call you out on refusing to vote.[...]

Jarmak posted:

Then you're a good example of why we shouldn't be upset the youth isn't voting.

Ho. Lee. Schitt.

Can we put away the acid vials and wipe the spittle from our mouths yet? This is getting ridiculous, folks.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Everytime I think the words "President Trump", I imagine them being written on one of these.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

Where did I talk about the DNC? Nice to see you don't have anything to back up your claims, though.

he says, in response to me posting a bunch of quotes that back up my claims

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Jarmak posted:

he says, in response to me posting a bunch of quotes that back up my claims

Where did I talk about the DNC?

And you didn't. Sorry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

First off:

And:

So much that ^

I'm 25, and have had the same experience back at college. Just about NO ONE in high school stressed the importance of voting. No teacher talked about current events in politics, nobody tried to make it interesting to hook us. People talk about voting being this civic duty and expect it to be innate that people will vote, instead of looking at it as a taught and learned value of the man made system of politics.

Ho. Lee. Schitt.

Can we put away the acid vials and wipe the spittle from our mouths yet? This is getting ridiculous, folks.

Can you stop whining and start voting? You can pretend all you want that people aren't voting because no one's trying to get them to vote, but I have actively worked to get people registered and voting each election cycle, and most of them still don't do it!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

fishmech posted:

Voting for the candidate who won the primary isn't corruption. Sorry about your meme preference though?
As if I'm under an obligation to vote for whoever won the Democratic primary :allears:

Mr. Wookums posted:

I too will vote for whoever has an R next to their name in the general to spite people who are not as pure as us, fellow B.Bro.
Just because it's a two-party system doesn't mean you can't make a protest vote :ssh:

Jarmak posted:

This is why we rightfully shouldn't give a gently caress about the youth vote, besides the fact that this correctly shows how they are completely unreliable unless they get literally everything they want
I'm sorry that asking for a candidate not best buddies with Wall Street is too purist for you? How about this, rather than get in an uproar over my lack of reverence for your sacred cow, persuade me that the Clintons' relationship with monied interests is tolerable.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

stinkles1112 posted:

The question is: What motivates a politician who changes with the wind? Neither greed nor untempered ambition inspires a lot of trust.

Anyone running for President is going to be ambitious. And anyone who survives in politics for decades is going to end up changing their stances. But there are degrees of both, and its fair when comparing Sanders to Clinton to award points to Sanders for consistency and for knowing he's actually for things because he believes in them.

@Jarmak

You posted this:

quote:

It's an integrity issue. People look at Bernie Sanders' record and see a relatively consistent, if somewhat lackluster adherence to a set of principals whose relevance is greater than ever. Clinton, on the other hand, has so obviously has twisted and turn whichever way voter opinion has taken her that her assertion that she stands for the same policies is fundamentally untrustworthy, to say nothing of the oceans of corporate money she bathes in.
As if it was self evidently ridiculous. But, yknow- I can't even find the slightest factual objection to this portrayal.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Do you have a factual objection to me calling you a loving geek for this post

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cugel the Clever posted:

As if I'm under an obligation to vote for whoever won the Democratic primary :allears:

Just because it's a two-party system doesn't mean you can't make a protest vote :ssh:

I'm sorry that asking for a candidate not best buddies with Wall Street is too purist for you? How about this, rather than get in an uproar over my lack of reverence for your sacred cow, persuade me that the Clintons' relationship with monied interests is tolerable.

Oh you're going to vote third party :laffo:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ok, if you love Trump so much go ahead and do it!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cugel the Clever posted:

You shouldn't need a reason other than George W. Bush. My whole family supported Nader in 2000 and all we were left with is shame, regret, and more shame.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cugel the Clever posted:

So when Bernie doesn't get the nomination you're going to passive-aggressively support the GOP instead? Congrats on being everything that posters were just making fun of.

Cugel the Clever posted:

What else have you learned from talk radio?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

@Jarmak

You posted this:

As if it was self evidently ridiculous. But, yknow- I can't even find the slightest factual objection to this portrayal.

I did not post that

edit: I quoted that

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 5, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Not an empty quote.

Purity Uber Alles, comrade.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't like Clinton, but if she wins the primary, the alternative is a million times worse. Vote Bernie in the primary if you want (I did), vote Hilary in the general if she's the nominee.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also if you vote for the Greens you're really dumb. Their platform is full of trash, and would be actively much more harmful than beneficial if they were ever to take office.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, Clinton isn't even close to the dirtiest person in politics. Look at the dumpster fire that is Republican-run state governments, or the entire Tom DeLay Congress, or...any of that poo poo.

I give the Clintons a partial pass on Wall Street deregulation in the 90s, because they lean technocratic and all the experts were saying that deregulation was the way to go. It was the wrong choice, in part because the experts were corrupt. But it was the expert advice.

@Jarmak: Oh for fucks sake. You quoted it, called it 'this poo poo'. It's not complicated. It happened this page.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cugel the Clever posted:

I want to print this post out and frame it :allears:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh you're going to vote third party :laffo:
Keep up that voter outreach :thumbsup:

If you guys tried a hundredth as hard to have a discussion as you do defending your team's honor, you might be a bit more persuasive.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
what happened to this thread

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cugel the Clever posted:

Keep up that voter outreach :thumbsup:

If you guys tried a hundredth as hard to have a discussion as you do defending your team's honor, you might be a bit more persuasive.

No get hosed. You exposed yourself very clearly as exactly what you were arguing against.

As I said in one of my first posts on the matter, the amount of time and effort required to get your vote isn't worth it - you're not a rational actor.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

It's your average USPol thread.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I remember thinking this 10 years ago. I was wrong.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If you say you're going to vote third party in a presidential election you deserve to get laughed at. Especially this election.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

stinkles1112 posted:

It also helps (me, at least) to consider that the views expressed by politicians are like items selected from a menu of what's in the realm of possibility for anyone who actually wants to get elected and stay elected. That menu changes over time. It becomes pandering when someone always chooses the most popular item regardless of any previous choices, but if someone chooses the leftmost electable view at the time and changes as further left views become electable, that's really not the same thing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

I said I wasn't comfortable with voting for someone who is super-cozy with Wall Street and the bees came out to defend their queen :shrug:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Ah so the problem isn't just not voting, it's also voting wrong!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

As evidence your third party canidate joined the democratic party for this election because third party is worthless and he knows what's at risk.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The problem isn't that the DNC is intentionally turning off youth voters the last two midterms, it's that they barely tried to get anyone's vote. They didn't so much turn moderate as curl up in a fetal position while crying "I hate Obama too! You can vote for a Republican just don't hurt me!"

I remember the attitude of the Michigan Democratic Party in 2008 being "Yeah, people are getting weary of Jennifer Granholm and are ready for a change as her term limit comes up. You know what? We'll sit this one out. Oh, Virg Bernero wants to run? Good luck buddy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Empress Theonora posted:

Somebody implied they didn't want to vote for Hillary. Chaos reigns.

• Locked thread