Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I said I wasn't comfortable with voting for someone who is super-cozy with Wall Street and the bees came out to defend their queen :shrug:

Whatever helps you sleep better at night for helping put Trump into office, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Can we talk about CPAC? Or today's primary, or tipping or chili or circumcision, or literally anything other than the Bernie Slapfight dumpster fire that has been the last 5 pages?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cugel the Clever posted:

Keep up that voter outreach :thumbsup:

If you guys tried a hundredth as hard to have a discussion as you do defending your team's honor, you might be a bit more persuasive.

You're a perfect example of why voter outreach to the petulant class is impossible.

lfield
May 10, 2008

stinkles1112 posted:

Why is a politician changing their stances on political issues to better reflect the attitudes of their constituents considered by so many to be a bad thing? Isn't that like exactly what they're supposed to do?

I thought republicans were the ones who voted for rigid ideologues.

WRT changing positions: what bothers me about Clinton isn't that she has changed her mind, which can be a great thing and a sign of intelligence. It's her lovely attitude about it. From what I've seen of her, she can't just admit she was wrong about, say, gay marriage - and then take the opportunity to thank the various equal rights campaigns and movements that actually put the work in to change people's minds. Instead she just flips her position and then acts like she's always been the best ally ever. It's condescending and insulting.

That said, she's better than any of the republican candidates by a long shot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cugel the Clever posted:

I said I wasn't comfortable with voting for someone who is super-cozy with Wall Street and the bees came out to defend their queen :shrug:

You skipped the part where you said that if your Perfect Jesus Candidate didn't win you're taking your ball and going home.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The question is: What motivates a politician who changes with the wind? Neither greed nor untempered ambition inspires a lot of trust.
Unfortunately, the very nature of government has always attracted those hungry for power and who will do whatever they can to get a hold of it. (See earlier in the thread for Bobby "Shitpile" Jindal).

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh you're going to vote third party :laffo:
Lololololololol

Evil Fluffy posted:

So when Bernie doesn't get the nomination you're going to passive-aggressively support the GOP instead? Congrats on being everything that posters were just making fun of.
Also this. Seriously dude? You gonna at least leave a stickynote on the DNC's door?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Gas

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Can we talk about CPAC? Or today's primary, or tipping or chili or circumcision, or literally anything other than the Bernie Slapfight dumpster fire that has been the last 5 pages?

I'm game. What the hell happened in Kansas. When did the political system of an entire STATE get changed for one man?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh great I think something major happened and its HRC Sanders chat.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Remember: vote but do not commit wrong-vote

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's stunning. When you take into account all that the next president will either do or even NOT do and the impact that it'll have both immediately and decades later.

Then you have someone like Cugel come along and say that they're taking the moral high ground because they're repelled by a similar candidate who has an ultimately minor and partially manufactured flaw that their own supported candidate will ultimately support.

Then there are people like Lessail who pretend that who you vote for doesn't matter and anyone arguing otherwise is implied to be somehow wrong (I bet he/she has a different opinion when it comes to the GOP).

Edit: The thread should probably be locked for it's own safety (we just can't stop), and reopened after results from tonight start rolling in...

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 5, 2016

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

lfield posted:

WRT changing positions: what bothers me about Clinton isn't that she has changed her mind, which can be a great thing and a sign of intelligence. It's her lovely attitude about it. From what I've seen of her, she can't just admit she was wrong about, say, gay marriage - and then take the opportunity to thank the various equal rights campaigns and movements that actually put the work in to change people's minds. Instead she just flips her position and then acts like she's always been the best ally ever. It's condescending and insulting.

Same sex marriage became a thing she could support and still get elected, so she did. It wasn't before. That's really all there is to it, and it's how politics works.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Hey guys it'd be pretty cool if this thread didn't get gas chambered like the last one

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

stinkles1112 posted:

Hey guys it'd be pretty cool if this thread didn't get gas chambered like the last one

Maybe we can lock the thread for a few hours? Calmer heads prevail, all that?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

lfield posted:

We've learned from "flip-flopper" John Kerry that admitting you change your mind will lose you votes.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Boon posted:

Then you have someone like Cugel come along and say that they're taking the moral high ground because they're repelled by an ultimately minor and partially manufactured flaw that their own supported candidate will ultimately support.
Maybe if people in the Democratic Party expected more from their politicians than spitballing with Goldman Sachs, we wouldn't need to be having this discussion in the first place? In what world is 'money in politics' a minor issue?

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Same sex marriage became a thing she could support and still get elected, so she did. It wasn't before. That's really all there is to it, and it's how politics works.
Or she could have, you know, fought for it.

Edit: Like was said above, it's not a matter of just the 180 on the issue—I truly cannot understand how it is controversial that people would like politicians to go out on a limb and fight for what is right.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So how hosed is the state of Louisiana after hurricane jindal?

lfield
May 10, 2008

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Well yeah, exactly. She's a liar. But hey, politicians.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Boon posted:

It's stunning. When you take into account all that the next president will either do or even NOT do and the impact that it'll have both immediately and decades later.

Then you have someone like Cugel come along and say that they're taking the moral high ground because they're repelled by a similar candidate who has an ultimately minor and partially manufactured flaw that their own supported candidate will ultimately support.

Then there are people like Lessail who pretend that who you vote for doesn't matter and anyone arguing otherwise is implied to be somehow wrong (I bet he/she has a different opinion when it comes to the GOP).

Edit: The thread should probably be locked for it's own safety (we just can't stop), and reopened after results from tonight start rolling in...

It's cool how the suggestion to leave the presidential vote part of the ballot empty while focusing only on the down ballot races wasn't derided

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is exactly why I banned primary chat from my version of last month's uspol.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lessail posted:

Remember: vote but do not commit wrong-vote

Voting third party is at best throwing away your vote and helping the other party at worst. Do what you want but don't act like it's taking the moral high road.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Asproigerosis posted:

From what I read earlier itt, Pretty loving hosed.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Asproigerosis posted:

I think if your state is facing the end of the public defender program and imminent release of imprisoned criminals because you can't afford to actually bring them to trial, the answer is "completely hammerfucked"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lessail posted:

It's cool how the suggestion to leave the presidential vote part of the ballot empty while focusing only on the down ballot races wasn't derided

What are you talking about?

Not voting is stupid. It's literally not a good thing. I posted that Brookings study earlier, you should read it.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
You guys ever seen the south park episode with the giant poop and the giant douche? Basically what american politics is like lol.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
While all you slap fight something good happened Friday and it's making Heller look less likely to happen.

quote:

The Supreme Court on Friday temporarily blocked a Louisiana law that its opponents say would leave the state with only one abortion clinic. The court gave no reasons, though it did say that its order was “consistent with” one last June that blocked part of a Texas abortion law.

The move came two days after the Supreme Court heard arguments in the Texas case, and abortion rights groups said they hoped that the development Friday was a sign that they had secured five votes to strike down the Texas law.

At arguments on Wednesday, at least four justices seemed prepared to find both provisions unconstitutional. The order on Friday may indicate that Justice Anthony M. Kennedy agrees."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/us/politics/supreme-court-blocks-louisiana-abortion-law.html?_r=0

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asproigerosis posted:

Extremely hosed. Like if Hurricane Katrina had lasted for 8 years straight hosed.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

cheese eats mouse posted:

While all you slap fight something good happened Friday and it's making Heller look less likely to happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/us/politics/supreme-court-blocks-louisiana-abortion-law.html?_r=0

If true, I would be incredibly glad.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Boon posted:

What are you talking about?

Not voting is stupid. It's literally not a good thing. I posted that Brookings study earlier, you should read it.

Someone in the thread suggested leaving one choice empty and only caring about the others. This wasn't derided. Why wasn't it?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I saw that yesterday, was pretty surprised. Though a supreme court stay is not a guarantee of a ruling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

Extremely hosed. Like if Hurricane Katrina had lasted for 8 years straight hosed.
worse as there will be no federal relief aid unlike Katrina

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My next question is, what kind of stances will washington blowhards make when the inevitable Louisiana bailout comes up?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or she could have, you know, fought for it.

In the early 90s, HIV was a "gay disease" and people were openly talking about quarantines.

lfield posted:

Well yeah, exactly. She's a liar. But hey, politicians.

Picking your battles really isn't the same thing as lying.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lessail posted:

Someone in the thread suggested leaving one choice empty and only caring about the others. This wasn't derided. Why wasn't it?

I just did, and then referenced you to my earlier post. So what exactly do you want?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "gently caress Clinton, if Bernie-San doesn't win I'm taking my ball and going home" pout-fest something Bernie has explicitly argued against? Isn't he encouraging his supporters to "start a revolution" by actively getting involved in politics and social movements regardless of whether he's the nominee or not? Isn't his slogan "not me, us" explicitly stating that this whole thing isn't supposed to be a stupid cult of personality based around one Vermont senator?

That all being said, I really doubt this petulant whining will last very long outside of primary season once Trump and his troglodytic fans start going after Hillary. Focus will shift in an awful hurry once the actual presidential campaign gets going.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asproigerosis posted:

Hurricane Katrina is in awe of the damage caused by Jindal.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It has been sunk by the deadweight of poors/minorities who use all the tax dollars, as evidenced by the need of a public defender system. This is a good thing!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Boon posted:

I just did, and then referenced you to my earlier post. So what exactly do you want?

Ah ok. My bad.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I saw that yesterday, was pretty surprised. Though a supreme court stay is not a guarantee of a ruling.

It makes me hopeful mostly because Bevin is starting to gently caress with PP here in Kentucky by threatening state funding of UofL. This could lead to a decent challenge against this dick head

quote:

University Hospital has informed Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky that it was cancelling an agreement to provide emergency care for abortion patients from the downtown Louisville clinic.

Thomas Clay, lawyer for PPINK, said he expects the state to use the lack of an emergency care agreement as a basis to deny the Planned Parenthood branch’s license application.

University Hospital notified the health services provider of its intentions on Tuesday.

“Because of extreme pressure that was being applied to the hospital, they were going to cancel the agreement they had previously reached to provide emergency services,” Clay said.

Clay didn’t name the source of the pressure applied to the hospital, but he said the threat included “funding issues not only for the hospital but for U of L.”

So yea gently caress you Bevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Voting third party is at best throwing away your vote and helping the other party at worst. Do what you want but don't act like it's taking the moral high road.

So exactly what I said

• Locked thread