Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

ALIE v ALIE2.0: The rumble in the.... I'm too tired to properly finish this with an awesome pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The melee in Tondeecee

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

jfood posted:

The melee in Tondeecee

:golfclap:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Gotta say I appreciated the surprise of possibly the only person (Clarke excepted) who definitely wouldn't turn on Lexa being the one to kill her in the end. Also, having been a little unsure about where the AI plot was going initially, "Wells?" and this have me totally on board with post-apocalyptic techno-mysticism.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clarke isn't a Nightblood, i'm assuming it's part and parcel of being the the Commander. Nano blood and the Implant.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Clarke isn't a Nightblood, i'm assuming it's part and parcel of being the the Commander. Nano blood and the Implant.

She ingested some of the nightblood from the azgeda queen's bodyguard lady, though who knows if it's possible to transfer in that way.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Clarke contracted nano-aids?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I got the impression that there's a Lt. Dax sort of thing going on with the commanders, where Lexa (the host) had a shared consciousness with the AI. Hence why Lexa was confident the new Commander would protect Clarke. I don't think Clarke is getting the chip.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohlHPpDnRFs&t=171s

Lexa having to die pisses me off, but it's no one's fault, and it's absolutely amazing how the writers managed to handle one of the most interesting characters on the show having to leave. The death was pretty dumb, though, but she had to die one way or another.

I'm a little worried that Clarke will stop being interesting at this point; like a lot of other character, she's been drifting around a bit, and Lexa was great for the character.

We don't yet have any good idea of what the blood does nor how exactly it's passed on, right?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

ufarn posted:

We don't yet have any good idea of what the blood does nor how exactly it's passed on, right?

Beyond a shot of Becca injecting herself with some on the Polaris they haven't revealed too much I don't think. Seems like the nightbloods are born with it though?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Clarke contracted nano-aids?

Nanitis

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FiestaNinja posted:

Beyond a shot of Becca injecting herself with some on the Polaris they haven't revealed too much I don't think. Seems like the nightbloods are born with it though?
I first thought it was hereditary, which would have meant some extraterrestial boinking, but I think there's enough sexual what-if speculation for the show as it is. I assumed it was as some kind of safeguard against the AI, but given that she injected it into herself, maybe it's just to give it an environment to work in, whatever that means. Although 1.0 works just by being ingested and tethered to your noggin.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ufarn posted:

I'm a little worried that Clarke will stop being interesting at this point; like a lot of other character, she's been drifting around a bit, and Lexa was great for the character.
Clarke is basically a courtier at Polis right now during a change of commander. Sure maybe it might take focus from her to show the process but I imagine her and Titus will have to work together to make sure Aden (the one Nightblood kid Lexa was grooming for next in line) becomes the next commander probably. I mean imagine how many of the other clans will take this opportunity to get their candidate to be the next Commander, many of who (well really all of them) really want to wipe Arkadia off the map.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Clarke having to work with Murphy is going to be entertaining. They haven't really been paired together since early season 1 right?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Okay I think I have formulated My Opinion (as a bisexual dude) on the controversy, which I am announcing as such so everyone can skip over it if they like:

Now firstly, I do think some of the people in this thread need to step back a bit. It's not frustrating to LGBT people because ~lolshipping~ (though I'm sure to many people that is a factor), it's a frustrating trope to keep seeing (and it IS pretty common) because setting aside creative vision and all that people just simply wanna see some characters in the same type of relationships as theirs be happy sometimes without it having to end tragically, like what happens with straight relationships in, yknow, almost every work of fiction. The 100 was/is regarded really well in LGBT circles for obvious reasons (queer characters in positions of power, a bi lead etc), so I think it's very understandable to feel a bit betrayed by the show especially due to it happening 1 scene after Clarke and Lexa consummated their relationship, even if just due to abject frustration at seeing the trope come up yet again.

That being said, considering it's this show and the circumstances around it I do think I ultimately disagree with the hate, while, yet again, it's understandable. Their hand was forced in terms of having to end their relationship obviously, and considering it's The Goddamn 100 I think killing her was basically their only real option. I think it makes a weird situation for a writer to be in honestly (like many storytelling tropes), obviously nobody wants to use tropes that are not only overused but are also harmful to marginalized people, but if your ~Creative Vision~ requires X character to die (especially in a show like this one) then :shrug:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Error 404 posted:

Clarke vs Jaha
Neo vs Smith

Let's do this.

:agreed:

I'm assuming the mysterious eigth nightblood at Lexa's coronation or something was the one the chip actually 'chose', but something happened (not compatible somehow?) they died, and Lexa was the runner-up. This, nine candidates but only 7 tattoos on Lexa's back.

The same thing is going to happen only with Clarke ending up getting the chip because of the night blood she now carries thanks to the other girl dripping blood in her face. :getin:

Also, holy poo poo that episode :suspense:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Did we ever get an answer to whether Lexa was actually using her own blood for makeup? Because that poo poo's hosed up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Monicro posted:

Okay I think I have formulated My Opinion (as a bisexual dude) on the controversy, which I am announcing as such so everyone can skip over it if they like:

Now firstly, I do think some of the people in this thread need to step back a bit. It's not frustrating to LGBT people because ~lolshipping~ (though I'm sure to many people that is a factor), it's a frustrating trope to keep seeing (and it IS pretty common) because setting aside creative vision and all that people just simply wanna see some characters in the same type of relationships as theirs be happy sometimes without it having to end tragically, like what happens with straight relationships in, yknow, almost every work of fiction. The 100 was regarded really well in LGBT circles for obvious reasons (queer characters in positions of power, a bi lead etc), so I think it's very understandable to feel a bit betrayed by the show especially due to it happening 1 scene after Clarke and Lexa consummated their relationship, even if just due to abject frustration at seeing the trope come up yet again.

That being said, considering it's this show and the circumstances around it I do think I ultimately disagree with the hate, while, yet again, it's understandable. Their hand was forced in terms of having to end their relationship obviously, and considering it's The Goddamn 100 I think killing her was basically their only real option. I think it makes a weird situation for a writer to be in honestly (like many storytelling tropes), obviously nobody wants to use tropes that are not only overused but are also harmful to marginalized people, but if your ~Creative Vision~ requires X character to die (especially in a show like this one) then :shrug:

Speaking as a gay man, yeah it is a rather common trope but I don't feel particularly betrayed by it in this scenario. Like someone else said, with more representation, we're gonna get more gay people in more roles. Some of them will be heroes, villains, and martyrs, and specifically with the 100 being so entrenched in grimness and the consequences of actions, death is just a regular part of life on the surface. There's still plenty of representation in the show, it's not like they killed off their sole lesbian, and the show should get props for having their lead character be openly bisexual without any sort of drama associated with it. Yes, the timing is a little suspect with the whole gay sex trope leading to death, but it was used for maximum effect here with the limitations of an actress's availability.

Unfortunately a large part of shipping and the horrific world of slash fiction is entrenched in the idea that gay relationships NEED to have happy endings, and that's why people are all up in arms because their otp or whatever just got destroyed.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm about 90% positive that Lexa doesn't get killed off--at least not yet-- if her actress weren't already starring in another show. Otherwise I think she joins the main cast. The writers took the best possible out of an unfortunate situation created by external forces.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So my theory is that it's likely that because of the chip, each commander gets all of the experience and memories of the previous ones making them excellent warriors/tacticians. We saw Lexa meditating before her and Clarke banged, and so it's possible there's a city of light 2.0 that she gets to talk to them all through. Alie 2.0 has to directly interface through humans, and therefore feels emotions like love , empathy, and anger making her superior to ALIE 1.
I still can't figure out what 2.0's endgame is though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rurea posted:

So my theory is that it's likely that because of the chip, each commander gets all of the experience and memories of the previous ones making them excellent warriors/tacticians. We saw Lexa meditating before her and Clarke banged, and so it's possible there's a city of light 2.0 that she gets to talk to them all through. Alie 2.0 has to directly interface through humans, and therefore feels emotions like love , empathy, and anger making her superior to ALIE 1.
I still can't figure out what 2.0's endgame is though.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

Remember that ALIE2.0 was a response to the first version being coldly inhuman and calculating ("Too many people? Why not nuke most of them?") and Becka was talking about it being different because it would learn and grow with humanity.

I kind of think what's been happening is that the AI has been piggybacking on all the Commanders and learning what it 'means to be human' and whatever else, and this was Becka's intent from the beginning. If you can't simply program an AI to know right from wrong, then give it multiple human lifetimes to grow and learn about it for itself.

Which is not to say that there might not be some knowledge transfer in the other direction, but that may not have been the original point.

e: It was kind of hamfisted but I really liked the reveal that the Grounders call their leader Commander because when Becka reached the ground her flight suit had COMMANDER stenciled on it.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No less Hamfisted than capital being called Polis, not because it is the Greek word for city or because it's derived from Annapolis, but because of Polaris

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You guys have a weird definition of "hamfisted".

Also also... I'd love to watch a spinoff series telling the story of Commander Becka and how she established the grounder civilization/culture.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

hope and vaseline posted:

Speaking as a gay man, yeah it is a rather common trope but I don't feel particularly betrayed by it in this scenario. Like someone else said, with more representation, we're gonna get more gay people in more roles. Some of them will be heroes, villains, and martyrs, and specifically with the 100 being so entrenched in grimness and the consequences of actions, death is just a regular part of life on the surface. There's still plenty of representation in the show, it's not like they killed off their sole lesbian, and the show should get props for having their lead character be openly bisexual without any sort of drama associated with it. Yes, the timing is a little suspect with the whole gay sex trope leading to death, but it was used for maximum effect here with the limitations of an actress's availability.

Unfortunately a large part of shipping and the horrific world of slash fiction is entrenched in the idea that gay relationships NEED to have happy endings, and that's why people are all up in arms because their otp or whatever just got destroyed.

what other lesbian is on the show? pretty sure Lexa was the only one.

being on probation during this whole thing was killin me I tell you what haha.

as a lesbian I think it's super lovely and gross to kill the lesbian less than five minutes after she had sex with the main character in the dumbest way possible. Lexa's death was projected like crazy but I thought for sure they would give her a send off worthy of her character, have her go down fighting for something she believed in, not rehash Tara from Buffy's lameass death.

Lexa was a very important character to a lot of people. it's not often a lesbian gets to be an important badass warrior who is a leader of her people in popular media. this goes way beyond shipping, the wlw community was already burned and bitter from orphan black pulling a similar stunt. Jroth has alienated a huge part of his viewership(just look at how many Twitter followers he's lost in the past few days) so it will be interesting to see if they can recover from it. they're obviously worried or else they wouldn't have invited people to the filming of the finale where Clarke and Lexa reunite in the city of light to try and keep their lgbt fans watching

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Troposphere posted:

as a lesbian I think it's super lovely and gross to kill the lesbian less than five minutes after she had sex with the main character in the dumbest way possible. Lexa's death was projected like crazy but I thought for sure they would give her a send off worthy of her character, have her go down fighting for something she believed in, not rehash Tara from Buffy's lameass death.

Do you think the reaction from tumblr would have been better or worse if she died to Roan during their duel? Killed by a MAN

also you guys still have Miller and his boyfriend. Miller owns.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do you think the reaction from tumblr would have been better or worse if she died to Roan during their duel? Killed by a MAN

also you guys still have Miller and his boyfriend. Miller owns.

Miller and his boyfriend are not lesbians and I'm talking specifically about the wlw community

I think the reaction would have been better because they wouldn't have pulled the oh here's your obligatory sex scene there are you happy now boom now she's dead bullshit

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also you guys seemed to have missed the memo that it doesn't matter if tropes are individually justified in a work or not, the problem is they happen on such a wide scale

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

The Iron Rose posted:

Also you guys seemed to have missed the memo that it doesn't matter if tropes are individually justified in a work or not, the problem is they happen on such a wide scale

yep

jroth was even interviewed and he went oh I don't want to talk about that trope it didn't factor into our decision. maybe it should have, considering what a huge rehash and glaring example of the trope it was!

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 5, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As a lesbian I can confirm most lesbians are crazy people when it comes to television.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

esperterra posted:

As a lesbian I can confirm most lesbians are crazy people when it comes to television.

this is true

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm just glad we got more time with Lexa at all. I was convinced she was going to die in the finale last year. I mean if there's anyone that didn't immediately know she was going to die the moment she got cast in a Walking Dead spinoff I'm not sure what show you've been watching the entire time. People don't go off in the woods and life happy lives of exile on this one though. We're lucky we got seven episodes to flesh out her character more and then got a neat ending that adds to the mythology of the show so much like the one they came up with here.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Yea

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

I'm just glad we got more time with Lexa at all. I was convinced she was going to die in the finale last year. I mean if there's anyone that didn't immediately know she was going to die the moment she got cast in a Walking Dead spinoff I'm not sure what show you've been watching the entire time. People don't go off in the woods and life happy lives of exile on this one though. We're lucky we got seven episodes to flesh out her character more and then got a neat ending that adds to the mythology of the show so much like the one they came up with here.

One thing I wish they would start doing however is shoot entire seasons at once, like Netflix does for their exclusives, so they aren't forced to dramatically change direction or kill of characters mid-season when their actors sign on to other shows. The current method is pretty lovely imo. (It also inadvertently introduces spoilers for the audience at the "meta" level because once someone signs on to another show, you know they'll probably get killed off in the current one.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went to a Mardi Gras party and after party last night...

No one mentioned Lexa once, maybe the Aussie lesbians didn't get the memo about how angry they were supposed to be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I wish they would start doing however is shoot entire seasons at once, like Netflix does for their exclusives, so they aren't forced to dramatically change direction or kill of characters mid-season when their actors sign on to other shows. The current method is pretty lovely imo. (It also inadvertently introduces spoilers for the audience at the "meta" level because once someone signs on to another show, you know they'll probably get killed off in the current one.)

I believe this show does shoot the majority of its episodes in one chunk because it's a mid season replacement and it has a shorter episode order. It's just that they only had her for a specific number of episodes due to the second season of Fear The Walking Dead.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Monicro posted:

Now firstly, I do think some of the people in this thread need to step back a bit. It's not frustrating to LGBT people because ~lolshipping~ (though I'm sure to many people that is a factor), it's a frustrating trope to keep seeing (and it IS pretty common) because setting aside creative vision and all that people just simply wanna see some characters in the same type of relationships as theirs be happy sometimes without it having to end tragically, like what happens with straight relationships in, yknow, almost every work of fiction. The 100 was/is regarded really well in LGBT circles for obvious reasons (queer characters in positions of power, a bi lead etc), so I think it's very understandable to feel a bit betrayed by the show especially due to it happening 1 scene after Clarke and Lexa consummated their relationship, even if just due to abject frustration at seeing the trope come up yet again.

I think people need to stop freaking out about things and grow tougher skin. :shrug:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

You guys have a weird definition of "hamfisted".

Also also... I'd love to watch a spinoff series telling the story of Commander Becka and how she established the grounder civilization/culture.

100% :agreed:
Ever since the show started I've been wondering how their culture/civilization has developed into what it is. Although its easy to believe a society can regress technologically after a nuclear war wipes out humanity, its not so easy to understand how a culture could be so radically different than the one which existed before said war. Grounders seems to have absolutely nothing in common with what used to be America.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

I think people need to stop freaking out about things and grow tougher skin. :shrug:

:yikes:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not very invested in this and I think most people in this aren't freaking out. Just you know, discussing the show and what they like and dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Troposphere posted:

it's not often a lesbian gets to be an important badass warrior who is a leader of her people in popular media.

But Clarke is still alive? I guess she's "just" a bisexual though.

This is a weird conversation.

• Locked thread