Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GameCube posted:

pokemon go is... a no go

apparently they're doing a japanese closed beta sometime this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

drat I gotta try this

i had tried that and lost all my pokeballs and blacked out on the motherfucker with a 6 poke party of 18-20s so gamer beware

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
somebody scanned the very first issue if you're curious

Average Bear posted:

They made use of like every bit of memory they had available. That's why there's so many glitches. It's really cool from a programming standpoint

elf help book posted:

I hate that big image saying why gen1 is bad cuz the game is a fuckin miracle
they added mew in the space they had leftover after removing their debug tools from the rom. totally irresponsible but also very cool

also as the story goes, iwata (who was president of hal labratory at the time) grabbed the source code, figured out how it worked, reworked it a bunch so that an english version could be released, ported the battle system to the n64 for the pokemon stadium dev team, and wrote compression tools for the graphics in gen 2 that let the developers fit the gen 1 world into the game as well

iwata, as it turns out, kind of knew his way around a gameboy

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm gonna name one of the epic Pokemon I'll get in honor of Saint Iwata-sama

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The Kins posted:

somebody scanned the very first issue if you're curious

they added mew in the space they had leftover after removing their debug tools from the rom. totally irresponsible but also very cool

also as the story goes, iwata (who was president of hal labratory at the time) grabbed the source code, figured out how it worked, reworked it a bunch so that an english version could be released, ported the battle system to the n64 for the pokemon stadium dev team, and wrote compression tools for the graphics in gen 2 that let the developers fit the gen 1 world into the game as well

that's sick.

last night my bulbasaur and nidoran evolved after the same battle. a very powerful feeling.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

playing the game with an early mew glitch mew is fantastic. transform & metronome are exceedingly funny

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that ivy guy posted:

playing the game with an early mew glitch mew is fantastic. transform & metronome are exceedingly funny

He's awesome. I wound up not even using dugtrio on Lt surge, I just mega punched everything to death with mew. I'm in lavender now, my gloom has become my team MVP after basically carrying me through rock tunnel single handedly

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

that ivy guy posted:

Aughgh I dont have time but I wanna do this

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

The Kins posted:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that ivy guy posted:

what's the best guide for doing this. i don't necessarily want to watch a youtube nerd but i'll do it if i have to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

what's the best guide for doing this. i don't necessarily want to watch a youtube nerd but i'll do it if i have to.

ill summarize what i did. Make sure you havent fought any of the trainers past nugget bridge yet

1. Catch an abra at nugget bridge (can be tricky early because of him always teleporting but i did it with an oddish + sleep powder)
2. Make sure you have 5 or less POkemon on hand because sending Mew to the box may cause your game to freeze!!
3. Head to the end of Nugget bridge and go left. Save here. There is a trainer right off screen that will trigger if you take a step down. Walk one block down and pause immediately and warp away with your abra.
4. Your start button wont work, dont hit it!! walk back up past nugget bridge and fight the trainer who has a slowpoke. you can fight other trainers, but the last guy you fight needs to be the slowpoke! you can get there with just fighting one other trainer
5. Walk back towards nugget bridge. When you transition routes, the start menu will pop up again. Hit B and a wild Lv 7 Mew will appear. Capture it!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trainer 7 is the guy you have to teleport from

Trainer 4 is the kid with the slowpoke

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

very cool. thx

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
woah just ran into a Pikachu in Viridian forest I didn't know they were here

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
%5 rate

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It's good for me because I picked squirtle as my starter now I'm unstoppable :D

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tfw you caught a Pokemon opposite your rivals type

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Tfw you caught a Pokemon opposite your rivals type

Lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This far fetched sucks too. I need a better flying type. I may go back to the beginning and snag another Spearow instead

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

This far fetched sucks too. I need a better flying type. I may go back to the beginning and snag another Spearow instead

Get Dodrio my friend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ristolaz posted:

Get Dodrio my friend

yes!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Get Dodrio my friend

Good call. Is that a safari zone Pokemon?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jolteon is a freak.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Good call. Is that a safari zone Pokemon?

Think so!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Jolteon is a freak.

He's "shockingly" good

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I beat pokemon blue in 3 days and then I immediately bought X which has been insanely epic. Wonder trade ftw...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

I beat pokemon blue in 3 days and then I immediately bought X which has been insanely epic. Wonder trade ftw...

I'm probably gonna play X again next. I'm on the celadon gym ATM.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wonder trade is awesome

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y is the first Pokemon game where I rushed to beat a gym because my Pokemon were close to not listening to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol funny you posted that because all of my Pokemon are level 30 and far fetched leveled up to 31 while fighting gym trainers and now he won't obey me. This gym is going to be way tougher now

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm hyped up to get my pokemon blue squad off of blue and into my pokemon bank. And then I can glitch a mew and a bunch of rare candies and put that stuff in my pokemon bank. :dukedog:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Lol funny you posted that because all of my Pokemon are level 30 and far fetched leveled up to 31 while fighting gym trainers and now he won't obey me. This gym is going to be way tougher now

yeah I was scared this was gonna happen. I don't think I've ever had a Pokemon ever ignore my command since red lol

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Transferring a lvl 7 mew to play with in one of the new games sounds awesome with all the crazy TMs

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

Get Dodrio my friend

Dodrio is a powerful bird.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This official guide to Link Battles is awesome

http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/classic-link-battle-flashbacks/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

an official guide to the gen 1 differences. nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have my final team now. The pieces are falling into place

Wartortle, Gloom, Mew, Dratini, Doduo and Jolteon.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Note if you want early glitch Mew: The first trainer in Misty's gym also works. After finishing the fight you walk back up to the bridge and Mew attacks!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

In Training posted:

I have my final team now. The pieces are falling into place

Wartortle, Gloom, Mew, Dratini, Doduo and Jolteon.

Very nice. Mine: Lapras, Fearow, Nidoking, Jolteon, Mew and Parasect

Current status: Exploring safari zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My team was Hypno, Exeggutor, Mr Mime, Jolteon, Sandslash, and Slowbro.

• Locked thread