Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I should probably go back and explain or hint at it in the query, but in the book it's explicit that she's not a good writer. She works for a Vice knockoff and can't get any of her independent work published.

Also I updated it to say "journalist" instead of writer because yeah, that makes more sense.

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ravenkult posted:

I hate it when a protagonist is a writer of any kind. Except maybe a journalist.
So, you're saying you hate every Stephen King book ever, past, present or future. And I agree with you. I have to just pretend "writer" is "zookeeper" in the book I'm reading, and I'm good.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I just don't want to see it on the blurb or the query. I know that sounds weird, but I'm mostly okay with S. King's author inserts, but if I'm picking up a new book by an unknown and I see the protagonist is a writer...eeeew.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
It still seems too coy with details for a proper query synopsis. I've read advice from a few agents that say, "Please tell me the ending. I want to know if it's worth my time." So ending on the kind of teaser question you'd put on the back of the book probably won't do you any favors.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, third time's a charm I guess.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzB4xWjZZgBDvCCdR2rgDLx44ng5dqWEOSwHCreN5TE/pub

The only problem (besides the fact that I keep making GBS threads this thread up) is that I don't want to make it any longer. I know the whole point is to be succinct and convincing...

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

change my name posted:

Okay, third time's a charm I guess.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzB4xWjZZgBDvCCdR2rgDLx44ng5dqWEOSwHCreN5TE/pub

The only problem (besides the fact that I keep making GBS threads this thread up) is that I don't want to make it any longer. I know the whole point is to be succinct and convincing...

Threw you a PM. Hope it helps.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I hate it when a protagonist is a writer of any kind. Except maybe a journalist.

How about if they're a writer... with writers' block?

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

qntm posted:

What if the book was being written WHILE a small, nerdy kid read it. He'd not know this obviously, untill he has to give a name to some dumb whore princess who just shows up - thusly, creating an interdimensional wormhole where he terrorizes highschoolers on a flying dog dragon.

Nvm... Authors who write books about authors probably huff glue.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

NiffStipples posted:

What if the book was being written WHILE a small, nerdy kid read it. He'd not know this obviously, untill he has to give a name to some dumb whore princess who just shows up - thusly, creating an interdimensional wormhole where he terrorizes highschoolers on a flying dog dragon.

Nvm... Authors who write books about authors probably huff glue.

That sounds like the sort of story that would just go on and on forever.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's actually called the Neverending Story because no one ever finishes part two.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

change my name posted:

Way out of her league, Charlie ropes in two of her co-workers for help. Greg Greene, an expert in magic, and Jakob Weaver, a jerk with no special skills, are the only people she can trust.

This sentence sounds odd to me. I would rephrase it and start the sentence with : "Charlie ropes in two of her co-workers for help. "

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I got to the end and threw it in the loving bookstore clerk's face and asked for my money back. Neverending my rear end.

Also thanks for all of the feedback and super long PMs everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and put together a final draft based on what everyone's mentioned.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

qntm posted:

He's a pointer... Who can't point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

It's actually called the Neverending Story because no one ever finishes part two.

Part 2 is actually legit horrifying.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Part 2 is actually legit horrifying.

All I can remember (I was 10 or so, so it's been a while) is the kid turned out to be such an unpleasant little fuckhead when he got teleported into the world, I couldn't stomach reading about him any longer, put down the book, and never touched it again.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stuporstar posted:

All I can remember (I was 10 or so, so it's been a while) is the kid turned out to be such an unpleasant little fuckhead when he got teleported into the world, I couldn't stomach reading about him any longer, put down the book, and never touched it again.

A technically neverending story!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

It's worth tracking it down and reading it, it has quite the dark but ultimately uplifting message.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Jut out of curiosity, and because I wasn't able to determine if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, has anyone had any experience with or opinions on authors.me?

Looks interesting if legit, but the website is so slick and full of stock images it starts to trigger my BS alarms.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

It's worth tracking it down and reading it, it has quite the dark but ultimately uplifting message.

I might. It's probably more readable with an adult perspective anyway. At 10 years old, reading about a kid who stomps into that fantasy world and says, "You are all my toys. gently caress you, do as I say." made me think wtf, dude, I thought you were cool, especially since he was merely a cipher for the reader in part one. But a pathetic bullied nerd who turns into a bully the moment he's given a bit of power... sounds about right actually. I'm guessing horrible things must happen to the little punk.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 2, 2016

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I went to the movie of Neverending Story 2 with my Grandma, and had to leave the cinema when some crazy egg things started spurting fire and smoke.

I wonder how old I was...

Edit: Apparently I was 6, so it's not that embarrassing.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

change my name posted:

Way out of her league, Charlie ropes in two of her co-workers for help. Greg Greene, an expert in magic, and Jakob Weaver, a jerk with no special skills, are the only people she can trust.

lemonslol posted:

This sentence sounds odd to me. I would rephrase it and start the sentence with : "Charlie ropes in two of her co-workers for help. "

I think they're shoving too much stuff into two sentences.

Are their last names necessary? I'd drop them.

quote:

Way out of her league, Charlie ropes in the only two people she can trust: co-workers Greg and Jakob. One is an expert in magic while the other is a jerk with no special skills.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

I might. It's probably more readable with an adult perspective anyway. At 10 years old, reading about a kid who stomps into that fantasy world and says, "You are all my toys. gently caress you, do as I say." made me think wtf, dude, I thought you were cool, especially since he was merely a cipher for the reader in part one. But a pathetic bullied nerd who turns into a bully the moment he's given a bit of power... sounds about right actually. I'm guessing horrible things must happen to the little punk.

Yes, that's exactly the point the book ends up making. There's an extended metaphor at the end (the mine) which is just breathtaking.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Sounds much better imo

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

magnificent7 posted:

Don't use the suggestion here, it kills the humor! The joke is the structure, [person], [meaningful description], [person], [jerk].

"The only people Charlie can trust are her coworkers Greg Greene, an expert in magic, and Jakob Weaver, a jerk with no special skills."

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

General Battuta posted:

Don't use the suggestion here, it kills the humor! The joke is the structure, [person], [meaningful description], [person], [jerk].

"The only people Charlie can trust are her coworkers Greg Greene, an expert in magic, and Jakob Weaver, a jerk with no special skills."
Go with this one.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CaptainCrunch posted:

Jut out of curiosity, and because I wasn't able to determine if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, has anyone had any experience with or opinions on authors.me?

Looks interesting if legit, but the website is so slick and full of stock images it starts to trigger my BS alarms.

Filter this thread by my posts.

It's bullshit and it doesn't fill any niche besides the site's operators separating people from their money. Don't participate. hth

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

RedTonic posted:

Filter this thread by my posts.

It's bullshit and it doesn't fill any niche besides the site's operators separating people from their money. Don't participate. hth

Thank you for the review. I'm gratified that my BS meter still works somewhat accurately.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the consensus on submitting to an agent vs. publishing house slush pile? I've heard that the second is slightly easier to get published through, but that you really want an agent to push for you + make sure you're getting more money.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Are there any other podcasts like Writing Excuses? I'm not too concernes about genre but anything about writing or publishind or editing would be cool.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HIJK posted:

Are there any other podcasts like Writing Excuses? I'm not too concernes about genre but anything about writing or publishind or editing would be cool.

The book riot podcast is good for publishing news/seeing what's going on in the industry, but it's not about *getting published*.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

change my name posted:

The book riot podcast is good for publishing news/seeing what's going on in the industry, but it's not about *getting published*.

That's okay, I just like hearing about books. Thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

change my name posted:

What's the consensus on submitting to an agent vs. publishing house slush pile? I've heard that the second is slightly easier to get published through, but that you really want an agent to push for you + make sure you're getting more money.

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2005/02/07/how-much-does-a-science-fiction-or-fantasy-writer-make/

quote:

Broken down by Agented vs. Unagented:

60% of our first time novelists had an agent, the other 40% sold the book without an agent, and a high number indicate they got agents right after or during the sale of the book.

The range in agented advances is from $1500 to $40,000

The average agented advance is $7379

The median agented advance is $5500

The range in unagented advances is from $0 to 13,500

The average unagented advance is $4611

The median unagented advance is $4000

These figures have noticeable differences across the board. Not having an agent looks to cost one well more than the agent’s percentage on average, and certainly most of the higher ranging figures come from people with agents.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gotcha. So it's not really worth it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Juggling Sub Plots: Timing; Resolution, Effect (Affect?) on Story.

I love a story that successfully keeps several balls in the air. *

I hate stories that fumble it - giving me too much too soon so I'm overwhelmed with characters, locations and motivations,

My current approach:
I outline everything initially, at least from scene to scene so I know where I want the story to go. I allow the story to breathe and change direction once I begin, and track all my ideas for the additional sub-plots that may come up when I'm not in front of my computer.

But things get complicated, fast. I find that I tend to freeze in my tracks, trying to figure out when/where to introduce the sub-plot without jarring the momentum of the story.

When you're working on your story, how do you keep everything in order, making sure that things overlap, smoothly and naturally?

Introduce a little at a time, methodically mapping out when you'll add more, or just somehow magically know when it's the right time?

Got any suggestions? Other than "write more" which, God help me, I'm doing.

* Not unlike your mom.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Juggling Sub Plots: Timing; Resolution, Effect (Affect?) on Story.

I love a story that successfully keeps several balls in the air. *

I hate stories that fumble it - giving me too much too soon so I'm overwhelmed with characters, locations and motivations,

My current approach:
I outline everything initially, at least from scene to scene so I know where I want the story to go. I allow the story to breathe and change direction once I begin, and track all my ideas for the additional sub-plots that may come up when I'm not in front of my computer.

But things get complicated, fast. I find that I tend to freeze in my tracks, trying to figure out when/where to introduce the sub-plot without jarring the momentum of the story.

When you're working on your story, how do you keep everything in order, making sure that things overlap, smoothly and naturally?

Introduce a little at a time, methodically mapping out when you'll add more, or just somehow magically know when it's the right time?

Got any suggestions? Other than "write more" which, God help me, I'm doing.

* Not unlike your mom.

Write mo...

No wait... Here's how I feel about this. I like to write my chapters like I'd like to watch a movie unfold or the way I'd like a song to unleash it's lyrics unto me. Visualize before you write. If you can't see it happening, if you cant feel it happening, why are you writing it? If you're writing it because it has to be told, then add something to stick with your reader if it's boring dribble. This is a great time to add new elements to your book that may or may not be a thing later on. Nothing unless you can see it visually.

Don't write if you don't feel a vibe. About a few months into writing you'll understand when your writing at your best and when you're writing at your worst. Save yourself some stress and don't write in those times of ineptitude, but never stop challenging yourself to think of ideas. A good writer will always and often times involuntarily think about their book. Never stop thinking of it. With me, I like to think of my books like trailers to a movie. I like to envision myself sitting in a movie theater, stepping on popcorn and gum as I squirm to the middle seat through a fat-rear end family of 7 before inevitably forgetting about everything as the bass hits and the screen goes black. As the lights dim, I watch on as a deep voiced narrator talks on about some lovely movie I don't give a gently caress about but you know what? All that while I'm thinking about my book and the chapter I'm having challenges with. I'm always watching that trailer with every chapter. Every chapter of a book, your own trailer. When I forget what a movie trailer is like, I buy a movie ticket and watch a drat movie by myself cause gently caress it.

As you become more secure with yourself, writing will become more of a feeling rather than an immediate impulse. When you're comfortable, don't freeze up, but rather gently caress up voluntarily. Write your feelings to a song you enjoy and state your words the way they make music to your ears with complete disregard to rhyme or reason. Delete stuff and rewrite stuff, but also realize you write at your most passionate, when you write for no one but yourself. Confidence is key and it takes time.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if every sentence isn't literally a new character i throw the book in the garbage. i have read 0 books

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

crabrock posted:

if every sentence isn't literally a new character i throw the book in the garbage. i have read 0 books

Didn't expect to see a James Patterson fan on here

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

NiffStipples posted:

Write mo...

No wait... Here's how I feel about this. I like to write my chapters like I'd like to watch a movie unfold or the way I'd like a song to unleash it's lyrics unto me. Visualize before you write. If you can't see it happening, if you cant feel it happening, why are you writing it? If you're writing it because it has to be told, then add something to stick with your reader if it's boring dribble. This is a great time to add new elements to your book that may or may not be a thing later on. Nothing unless you can see it visually.

Don't write if you don't feel a vibe. About a few months into writing you'll understand when your writing at your best and when you're writing at your worst. Save yourself some stress and don't write in those times of ineptitude, but never stop challenging yourself to think of ideas. A good writer will always and often times involuntarily think about their book. Never stop thinking of it. With me, I like to think of my books like trailers to a movie. I like to envision myself sitting in a movie theater, stepping on popcorn and gum as I squirm to the middle seat through a fat-rear end family of 7 before inevitably forgetting about everything as the bass hits and the screen goes black. As the lights dim, I watch on as a deep voiced narrator talks on about some lovely movie I don't give a gently caress about but you know what? All that while I'm thinking about my book and the chapter I'm having challenges with. I'm always watching that trailer with every chapter. Every chapter of a book, your own trailer. When I forget what a movie trailer is like, I buy a movie ticket and watch a drat movie by myself cause gently caress it.

As you become more secure with yourself, writing will become more of a feeling rather than an immediate impulse. When you're comfortable, don't freeze up, but rather gently caress up voluntarily. Write your feelings to a song you enjoy and state your words the way they make music to your ears with complete disregard to rhyme or reason. Delete stuff and rewrite stuff, but also realize you write at your most passionate, when you write for no one but yourself. Confidence is key and it takes time.

Do pretty much the exact opposite of this post and you're good to go

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

This is horrible awful advice for any writer, mostly because it says "dont write." You have to write and there shouldn't be a moment if you want to be a writer where you should say "I can't write" (the operative word being cant, which is different from don't want to). I'm not in the mood, I'm not feeling it, every cognitive thought of mine is garbage are all excuses to not write but you can still write. Here's the thing, you have to write bad. Writing good isn't natural or easy and a final draft of a finished novel/short/whatever doesn't come about because you just got in the groove and wrote it all because it was easy that day. It happens because you said "I am going to write this" and you wrote a terrible first draft then a terrible second draft and then kept at it until it stopped being terrible (hopefully). The moments where I hit a stride are few and far between and they last just long enough to maybe write a flash piece of like 1k words. If I'm looking to write a novel like that, I will never finish it. I just won't.

I tend to agree with passion and writing for yourself is alright as long as you make the distinction between "I am writing purely for myself" and "I am writing for myself to show to others" which are two very different things and require you to do different things. If you're trying to write a book DO NOT write purely for yourself as a chapter because it will not work for any other reader besides yourself. Writing for other people in mind makes sense because you are trying to get this published to be read by other people. You can be passionate and also write for other people. It's not easy and the passion comes out much better in editing, but I find it's easier to edit a story and make it stronger when I've written it with knowing that I'm writing a story to show to other people rather than with a something I wrote purely for myself. That doesn't mean that my story lacks passion if I don't write it just for myself. I'm still writing for myself, but I'm doing it for other people too.

Also you should probably stop thinking of books as songs or movies but as books. They are very different from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I have a question re: the writing badly is essential thing. What do you do when you write the bad stuff but you know it isn't working and no amount of plotting, outlining, drafting, and "focusing on other scenes first" is fixing it...and then, out of the blue you get that thunderbolt idea that is totally different from anything you considered before but it finally ties the story together? How do you work with that?

The first part I don't object to but I've thrown out thousands of crap words because of this process. I'm just glad I'm a hobbyist and not on a deadline because it literally takes months.

• Locked thread